Saints Supporter's Charter

Wes Tender

A lot of good intentions, but let's see some action

Oh i'm sorry. Is bringing in a manager with a proven track record, outspending the rest of the league combined and initiating a major revamp of the training facilities not good enough for four months! Some people are never happy.

A very interesting brochure just dropped onto my doormat, entitled the "Southampton Football Club Supporters' Charter". I don't recall ever receiving one of these before and it appears to be an initiative of Nicola Cortese's. Apparently from reading the attached letter from David Luker that accompanied it, Cortese has had a meeting with Malwhinney about it and he stated that it summed up a lot of the good things that are happening here.

Certainly it is an initiative that is to be welcomed, especially as the previous incumbents either did not seem to know about good customer relations, or else they didn't care either way.

Especially good are Cortese's concluding paragraphs on the back page of the booklet.

"As custodians of your club, we have defined and clear plans to take it forward. It is our intention to take the club back to the Premier League and ensure that at the same time it is competitive within the league in which it sits.

We want to engage with business partners at all levels and be seen as a responsible corporate organisation adding value to the Community with the projects we undertake.

Within the next few months we will be delivering news of our Supporter Engagement Policy whereby our supporters, specifically our Season Ticket holders, can actively play a part in dialogue with their club in an effort to shape its destiny, such as pricing policies for ticketing and retail products. We intend this strategy to be ground-breaking in football by enabling supporters to build a unique relationship with the Club"

How refreshing and professional these people are.

Probably one of the major considerations has been highlighted. We need corporate business to be involved with SFC and by stating our intentions at this stage we could perhaps secure the sort of sponsorship and business that will help finance our push upwards. Good marketing in my opinion! Secure the business contacts first.

As stated before, these boys are the "dog's pedantics" and there will be no half-hearted measures as far as they are concerned. Happy Days!!!

A very interesting brochure just dropped onto my doormat, entitled the "Southampton Football Club Supporters' Charter". I don't recall ever receiving one of these before and it appears to be an initiative of Nicola Cortese's. Apparently from reading the attached letter from David Luker that accompanied it, Cortese has had a meeting with Malwhinney about it and he stated that it summed up a lot of the good things that are happening here.

Certainly it is an initiative that is to be welcomed, especially as the previous incumbents either did not seem to know about good customer relations, or else they didn't care either way.

Especially good are Cortese's concluding paragraphs on the back page of the booklet.

"As custodians of your club, we have defined and clear plans to take it forward. It is our intention to take the club back to the Premier League and ensure that at the same time it is competitive within the league in which it sits.

We want to engage with business partners at all levels and be seen as a responsible corporate organisation adding value to the Community with the projects we undertake.

Within the next few months we will be delivering news of our Supporter Engagement Policy whereby our supporters, specifically our Season Ticket holders, can actively play a part in dialogue with their club in an effort to shape its destiny, such as pricing policies for ticketing and retail products. We intend this strategy to be ground-breaking in football by enabling supporters to build a unique relationship with the Club"

How refreshing and professional these people are.

You've pretty much summed up what I was to say on this Wes - what a thoroughly professional and caring group these guys are. We are very, very lucky indeed to have Markus and Nicola as the owners of our club. Long may this continue - I am extremely pleased and proud to be a Saints supporter now - it's been a LONG time coming.

If he is renowned in world banking what is he doing here?

Only a question just really interested in his intentions and wonder

That's a question that only he can answer.

But I'll have a stab at it, purely through conjecture. Yes, he has built a solid reputation as a banker and is well respected in that sphere. But he has a strong personal relationship as a trusty friend and Lieutenant to Markus Liebherr, one of the wealthiest men in Europe. Nicola was apparently intrumental in putting forward this project of ownership of Saints before Markus and Markus has invited Nicola to take on the position as Chairman because he trusts him implicitly to run the club. So what is in it for both of them? Well, of course there is the possibility of them restoring the club to its former position as a Premiership club and then selling it at some point for a good profit. But I believe that both of them will derive some considerable enjoyment in applying their business skills to that end. It could be an exciting journey, fraught with risk and different to anything that they have both been involved in previously. But the sheer pleasure that they could both derive from managing to turn a club in the third division back into one of the elite clubs in the top division of the World's most prestigious league is a challenge they probably both relish. Markus is probably paying him what he would have earned as a top banker. Nicola's reputation will be much higher profile as the Chairman of a Premiership Club, especially if he has managed to get us there from the third division. Maybe it is a career change for him that has arrived at just the right time for him and his family. They are obviously a consideration and might also welcome living in England for a few years.

Although not anywhere in the same league as Cortese in the Banking World, a similar question could have been asked about the previous Chairman. Regrettably for him and us, he only succeeded in tarnishing his reputation by getting us relegated twice to our current lowly position, but there was a point originally where he gained a great deal of kudos as one of the youngest Chairman of a Premiership club.

When is the last time that Saints had a match called off which was already in progress? Not sure if I can remember one in the 20-odd years I've been supporting them.

For a large part of the last 20 years we were playing at Premiership quality grounds. We are now in League One. Just look at Stockport this season.

That's a question that only he can answer.

But I'll have a stab at it, purely through conjecture. Yes, he has built a solid reputation as a banker and is well respected in that sphere. But he has a strong personal relationship as a trusty friend and Lieutenant to Markus Liebherr, one of the wealthiest men in Europe. Nicola was apparently intrumental in putting forward this project of ownership of Saints before Markus and Markus has invited Nicola to take on the position as Chairman because he trusts him implicitly to run the club. So what is in it for both of them? Well, of course there is the possibility of them restoring the club to its former position as a Premiership club and then selling it at some point for a good profit. But I believe that both of them will derive some considerable enjoyment in applying their business skills to that end. It could be an exciting journey, fraught with risk and different to anything that they have both been involved in previously. But the sheer pleasure that they could both derive from managing to turn a club in the third division back into one of the elite clubs in the top division of the World's most prestigious league is a challenge they probably both relish. Markus is probably paying him what he would have earned as a top banker. Nicola's reputation will be much higher profile as the Chairman of a Premiership Club, especially if he has managed to get us there from the third division. Maybe it is a career change for him that has arrived at just the right time for him and his family. They are obviously a consideration and might also welcome living in England for a few years.

Although not anywhere in the same league as Cortese in the Banking World, a similar question could have been asked about the previous Chairman. Regrettably for him and us, he only succeeded in tarnishing his reputation by getting us relegated twice to our current lowly position, but there was a point originally where he gained a great deal of kudos as one of the youngest Chairman of a Premiership club.

Yes a good response which I can agree with although I would have thought Cortose and Lowe will have probably had similar motives.

With no debt and a modern stadium the current regime have a very good chance of leading SFC to the Premiership in the near future so things are really looking up.

As alpine suggested sometime ago Administration has proved to be very good for the fans just hope things continue going well on the field and the key players keep fit.

We were away at leicester, abandoned sometime in the second half i think. i can remember the pitch being flooded with a saints player laying in the water doing the breast stroke. it was on match of the day at the time

yes I was there - it was about 1984 or so I think - and my recollection was that it was called off after about 20 minutes by which time it was not possible to pass the ball as it was floating!

On the supporters' charter i think it is an excellent initiative - and it shows a real iwsh to make Saints one of the best clubs in the land. All power to that!

yes I was there - it was about 1984 or so I think - and my recollection was that it was called off after about 20 minutes by which time it was not possible to pass the ball as it was floating!

On the supporters' charter i think it is an excellent initiative - and it shows a real iwsh to make Saints one of the best clubs in the land. All power to that!

It was the 1983/4 season. And when we won that game, as we were surely going to do, we were going to be top of the league. Sadly when it was replayed we lost 2-1, even with Mark Dennis making his debut. That rainy Saturday cost us the championship.

We were away at leicester, abandoned sometime in the second half i think. i can remember the pitch being flooded with a saints player laying in the water doing the breast stroke. it was on match of the day at the time

Haha remember watching that on MOTD!!

The last game called off at SMS (and the only game I can remember) was a reserves fixture againrt West Ham which was scheduled for a Tuesday night. I remember I managed to skive out of work early for once, drove up from Bournemouth to find out it had been called off just before kick-off as the pitch was waterlogged. Shame because that was about the time we getting circa 10k at SMS for the ressie fixtures.

I would like to see membership's re-introduced.

It's only a token thing but for those of us not practically able to get STs but still want to feel part of the club.

I used to think the same way as you, but at the end of the day all a membership is is a con to get £20 out of fans for nothing. Also with memberships you have potentially 3 separate allocation periods which means that by the time tickets get to general sale you are approaching the day of the given game. I reckon that'd be a put off and would in turn lose the club revenue.

What i would like to see, however, is better recognition of away supporters and the FACT that many spend **** loads of money following the club. We have lots of fans that live up north and travel to away games, yet they are not valued as illustrated by this scheme just for uber season ticket holders. I bet if and when we get in the play-offs the the tickets will be allocated for home attendees first and those who cheered us on on the road can go **** themselves. You will get the selfish ones on here say this is how it should be, but it's not the fair way.

When is the last time that Saints had a match called off which was already in progress? Not sure if I can remember one in the 20-odd years I've been supporting them.

I think it was Leicester away and Saints were winning 1-0 due to totally waterlogged pitch

I used to think the same way as you, but at the end of the day all a membership is is a con to get £20 out of fans for nothing. Also with memberships you have potentially 3 separate allocation periods which means that by the time tickets get to general sale you are approaching the day of the given game. I reckon that'd be a put off and would in turn lose the club revenue.

What i would like to see, however, is better recognition of away supporters and the FACT that many spend **** loads of money following the club. We have lots of fans that live up north and travel to away games, yet they are not valued as illustrated by this scheme just for uber season ticket holders. I bet if and when we get in the play-offs the the tickets will be allocated for home attendees first and those who cheered us on on the road can go **** themselves. You will get the selfish ones on here say this is how it should be, but it's not the fair way.

It is difficult. I was a ST from being 10 all the way until i became a bit northern. As such i think STs are the life blood and should get priority and recognition as such.

I wouldn't disagree that membership was a bit of a con, but as you say, i and others spend a lot of time and money travelling to watch and you are not offically 'recognised'. It's hard, i've not got an easy fix/suggestion.

I cannot see any reason why a this can be criticised. there again we are saints fans. Lol

I work on the principle of "if it's not broken don't fix it". Everyone is happy with how Nicola is running the club without this initiative. I genuinely worry that if the likes of the Saints Trust jump on the bandwagon it'll open up the old divisions. The Trusts views are just the views of those who run it, yet they'll parade themselves like they speak for everyone. We've already been down this road and it'd be a shame for the same mistakes to be made again.

I work on the principle of "if it's not broken don't fix it". Everyone is happy with how Nicola is running the club without this initiative. I genuinely worry that if the likes of the Saints Trust jump on the bandwagon it'll open up the old divisions. The Trusts views are just the views of those who run it, yet they'll parade themselves like they speak for everyone. We've already been down this road and it'd be a shame for the same mistakes to be made again.

Is there any way that the Trust can function under this new regime? I thought that the essence of the Trust was that they bought up shares and therefore used those shares to give the supporters a voice. And when the club went into administration, their shares became worthless, in the same way that mine did.

Although on the face of it, it would be a worry if there were groups like the Trust and SISA putting themselves forward as the voice of the supporters, I'm sure that many would point out to Nicola Cortese the historical background and that he would put in place some sort of structure that enabled individuals to be heard as well as only those groups that had some sort of authority vested in them by virtue of the proper democratic elections of their representatives.

But as you rightly say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And I don't believe that there is any impetus towards the formation of fans' groups at the moment, as they only appear when there is discontent and division, which isn't present at the moment.

Is the trust involved? if so i would be concerned, flicking through the charter gave me no inkling they would be.

Older supporters (and sadly I am one of them) may have been at the Charlton game in the old Valley in January 1963. This was one of the worst winters ever and the game was abandoned midway through the second half in a blizzard. The ground was a huge bowl, mostly uncovered and the terraces at the start were snow covered and icy. Little deference to health and safety then. I remember returning from Waterloo in steam train and at Central Station the front three carriages were totally encased in ice. Those were the days!

I went with my daughter to an evening game at Chelsea having driven 2 hours through torrential rain knowing that the game was bound to be called off. We had even bought a programme and it wasn't until we got to our seats that the steward told us. The ones I feel sorry for are those that went to Newcastle on New Years Day (?) when the game was called off because the streets outside were 'a bit icy'. Northern softies!