Strikers

Professor

Saints have had some good strikers over recent years, Phillips, Crouch, Beattie all did well in their time here. Rasiak and Saganowski looked very promising when they first came, but neither did as well as expected. Even with Rasiak scoring two goals last week, it was relief that they weren't for Saints because you just know it will have been a 'blip' achieved by goal hanging. As for Saga, he seems to have done very little in Greece and its looking as if SFC were fortunate to off-load him.

How good compared to their predessors, are Lambert/Barnard/Connolly and how well will they perform if they get the chance in the CCC. Appreciate it may come too late for DC but RL and LB are both likely to have their chance if not next season, then the year after, and both should still be in their prime.

the thing that i found odd with Rasiak was that despite scoring loads he was never that much of a fans favourite, not compared with the reception Ricky gets.

Was a bit - guess he was a bit of a lazy player and never doing anything spetacular but always got goals (more importantly)

Rickie is a bit of an allround striker and spanks a good freekick, always welcomed by the fans

Saints have had some good strikers over recent years, Phillips, Crouch, Beattie all did well in their time here. Rasiak and Saganowski looked very promising when they first came, but neither did as well as expected. Even with Rasiak scoring two goals last week, it was relief that they weren't for Saints because you just know it will have been a 'blip' achieved by goal hanging. As for Saga, he seems to have done very little in Greece and its looking as if SFC were fortunate to off-load him.

How good compared to their predessors, are Lambert/Barnard/Connolly and how well will they perform if they get the chance in the CCC. Appreciate it may come too late for DC but RL and LB are both likely to have their chance if not next season, then the year after, and both should still be in their prime.

You must be very young, why no mention of Wayman, Day, O'Brien, Chivers, Channon, Davies, MacDougall, Shearer etc etc etc ????

The best of all? Probably Ron Davies maybe Alan Shearer but Ricky Lambert will get close methinks given time.

You must be very young, why no mention of Wayman, Day, O'Brien, Chivers, Channon, Davies, MacDougall, Shearer etc etc etc ????

The best of all? Probably Ron Davies maybe Alan Shearer but Ricky Lambert will get close methinks given time.

To be fair in the opening line of the OP it says "Recent years". And you'd have to be pretty old to remember seeing charlie wayman play... (no offence mind!)

the thing that i found odd with Rasiak was that despite scoring loads he was never that much of a fans favourite, not compared with the reception Ricky gets.

He never added anything else to the team other than goals though, and before i get shot down for that :D i have no problem with a player that bangs them in but when you sat and watched him he just looked so lazy, he never ran more than around 10 yards and just hung around in the box.

My mate is a reading fan and they all think the exact same thing down at the madjeski.

Why is that ?? Would love to know, i agree with whoever posted earlier, it was a f*cking weird decision from a sh*te manager.

* APPARENTLY*

raz complained/raised the issue about burley turning up for training looking a bit worse for wear so to speak....and all that went with that if you get me..

like I said, heard this from someone who worked at the club at the time.

there were one or two senior players concerned about burleys activities

on another note..I heard levin talking about the scotland team and how he has had to BAN drinking when the players turn up for international training/matches whilst he is in charge..he said it was a result of the "previous regime"

* APPARENTLY*

raz complained/raised the issue about burley turning up for training looking a bit worse for wear so to speak....and all that went with that if you get me..

like I said, heard this from someone who worked at the club at the time.

there were one or two senior players concerned about burleys activities

on another note..I heard levin talking about the scotland team and how he has had to BAN drinking when the players turn up for international training/matches whilst he is in charge..he said it was a result of the "previous regime"

I think it was well documented what he was like. TBH i was made up when he got the Scotland job, only people in the world that would accept a drunk.

I suppose that could explain things. We have had our fair share of random and secretive decisions havn't we ?

What with Burley, Gray and Delgado, the apparant Drogba and Adebeyor claims.

I think it was well documented what he was like. TBH i was made up when he got the Scotland job, only people in the world that would accept a drunk.

as was I...

you cant hide the fact now that everywhere he has been these rumours are rife about him..

cant be good when on the eve of his first game, the new scotland manager has to tell the press that he has had to ban drinking because of what went on before..

burely is such a poor manager and will probably not get a decent job in England every again

That will, for me, always rank as one of the most "strange" managerial decisions at Southampton......and we have had a fair few over the years.

Rasiak went five games without scoring. Saga came in and went on an excellent run. What's strange about it?

I suppose that could explain things. We have had our fair share of random and secretive decisions havn't we ?

What with Burley, Gray and Delgado, the apparant Drogba and Adebeyor claims.

Fitzhugh Fella posted an amusing story about being at a dinner near to a group of Scotland fans, who were complaining about the nerve of our chairman to get compensation out of them for Burley (Crouch was sat at the table at the time).

With hindsight Scotland certainly got us out of a fix.

we didnt play with one striker !!!

Rasiak and Saga never played together. Never worked. Saga started off with Jones (who was clearly better than Rasiak) and otherwise partnered Best.

Point is Rasiak was dropped because he hadn't been scoring.

(unless there is truth in TDD's rumours, but the form book seems reason enough)

Racism ?

Not a chance.

Rasiac is an odd one, he was a massive fans favourite at Derby despite his laid back style. Spurs never game him a chance and then when we finally got the 20 goal a season striker everyone said we needed everyone decided he needed to run around more. Never understood it then and never will. Similar thing with Stern alot of people on here will slate him despite him saving us from the drop!

Speaking of Connolly, Pardew says he is back in training with no problems and should be on the bench for the Leeds game :D

Off the bench to score winner against Leeds in a 2-1 home win in the last few mins.:)

Edited by Toomer

Saints have had some good strikers over recent years, Phillips, Crouch, Beattie all did well in their time here. Rasiak and Saganowski looked very promising when they first came, but neither did as well as expected. Even with Rasiak scoring two goals last week, it was relief that they weren't for Saints because you just know it will have been a 'blip' achieved by goal hanging. QUOTE]

Its called "poaching" and is a highly valued attribute for a striker. Lineker was no slouch at it. Rasiak is damn good at it.

i think raziak would of scored bucket loads in this division if and its a big if he wanted to play for saints instead of just picking up wages. lambert and barnard are and will be a good strikeforce in this league and in the league above no danger! but to compere them to some of our great strikers over the past 25 years or so who did it at the very top level of english football is fanciful and frankly rubbish!

Hard to say because all our previous strikers were proven at a higher level.

BWP - Garbage, wouldn't have been ay better in League 1.

Saganowski - On his day easily as good as our current lot. Those days were all too far appart though.

Rasiak - As good as Lambert, but lazier.

John - As good as Lambert, but made Rasiak look like Ormerod.

Jones - Better than anything we've had since.

DMG - Not really a striker. Poor scoring record, not as good as RL, LB or DC.

Fuller - As good as Rickie or Lee, but never in form long enough.

Euell - Tripe. 5 decent games a year and 5 goals in the 2 seasons he spent here.

Then we've also had the likes of Madsen, who didn't make much impact, and Pericard, Pekhart and Robertson, who were gash.

Not a chance.

Rasiac is an odd one, he was a massive fans favourite at Derby despite his laid back style. Spurs never game him a chance and then when we finally got the 20 goal a season striker everyone said we needed everyone decided he needed to run around more. Never understood it then and never will. Similar thing with Stern alot of people on here will slate him despite him saving us from the drop!

At Spurs the fans thought he was so bad that he became a standing joke amongst them.

Not a chance.

At Spurs the fans thought he was so bad that he became a standing joke amongst them.

I think Rickie, Barnard & Connolly all fit will put the s***t into any defense in Lg1 or CCC.

From recent years I always liked Pahars & Beattie.

Have a soft spot for Rasiak as he was responsible for my little boys first "golden moment" watching Saints.

I think Rickie, Barnard & Connolly all fit will put the s***t into any defense in Lg1 or CCC.

From recent years I always liked Pahars & Beattie.

Have a soft spot for Rasiak as he was responsible for my little boys first "golden moment" watching Saints.