Hartlepool United Build Up

St Landrew

Seeing as it is sunday night, and the 3-0 glow is just starting to dissipate, I thought I'd start the build up to the next game.

Have a look at the opposition's website too, seeing as I have the link handy:

http://www.hartlepoolunited.co.uk/page/NewsHome/

A win please Lads. It needn't be convincing, and you needn't play out of your skins either. Just win. No more Swindons, thank you.

COYR etc. Result is pretty much irrelevant, but a few more convincing wins will boost the confidence ahead of next season.

I suspect a few players will have one eye on Wembley and not getting worn out or crocked. I will therefore go with 0-0.

Result is pretty much irrelevant

By 10pm on Tuesday Saints "could" be 10 points from the playoffs with 9 games left.

Of course reaching the playoffs will likely mean winning 10 out of 10 games and would be VERY difficult but it is certainly not impossible. Especially when you look at the remaining fixtures for Saints and the playoff rivals.

Edited by Matthew Le God

By 10pm on Tuesday Saints "could" be 10 points from the playoffs with 9 games left.

Of course reaching the playoffs will likely mean winning 10 out of 10 games and would be VERY difficult but it is certainly not impossible. Especially when you look at the remaining fixtures for Saints and the playoff rivals.

Ssssh..! People don't want to talk about the playoffs anymore. It seems that if we get our hopes up, the Lads go and dash them by losing. Just make like you don't care either way, and we'll creep towards the top 6.

BTW, could be a friendship tester for Matty and Jeff.

Should win this one fairly comfortably really. They're likely to sit back and try to catch us on the counter, but we should have enough to break them down. I'll go with another 3-0 and taking some good momentum into Wembley. Will also be keeping a close eye on the Leeds v Millwall game tomorrow night; definitely want Leeds to win that one.

2-0 Saints - that is all. (Although it will not look too good because none of the players will want to be crocked for Wembley - especially Lallana, Puncheon and Schneiderlin, our 'playmakers'. So Rickie better get his tin helmet on again coz' its gonna be a hoof-fest methinks.

Ssssh..! People don't want to talk about the playoffs anymore. It seems that if we get our hopes up, the Lads go and dash them by losing. Just make like you don't care either way, and we'll creep towards the top 6.

BTW, could be a friendship tester for Matty and Jeff.

Indeed. I would expect us to win, lets put back to back league wins together. I am looking forward to Sunday too, though not sure if its going to be on tv or not?

I think we will rest a few players and labour to a 2-1 win.

Our season is all about Sunday. For a lot of fans it will be the dividing line between a successful season and an unsuccessful season.

disagree about resting players, with cup tied players not available for Sunday we shpuld play full strength side

Time to rest a few before the cup final in my opinion. Play offs are gone - so lets win a trophy.

Nope. Usually agree with you, but in this case in my opinion you are dead wrong.

We need to go full-tilt at the League finish line. Because we need to get used to that sort of intensity for next season. If we dont, we will have Swindon- and Tranmere-level f**k-ups next season and wont get promoted.

I couldnt give a sh*t about the JPT.

Nope. Usually agree with you, but in this case in my opinion you are dead wrong.

We need to go full-tilt at the League finish line. Because we need to get used to that sort of intensity for next season. If we dont, we will have Swindon- and Tranmere-level f**k-ups next season and wont get promoted.

I agree, carrying momentum into next season is vital, regardless of whether we can still make the playoffs or not

I agree, carrying momentum into next season is vital, regardless of whether we can still make the playoffs or not

what we do at the end of this season will have little bearing on next season because as likely as not our team will not be the same.Players will leave..count on it, some are way too good for this division and will want to move on.

Your entitled to your opinion of course, but it seems to me people complained for years about not win anything. Now we have a chance to win something people say who cares couldn't give a ****. For me the JPT is a big deal but then I've always loved cup competitions. We're a league one club so winning a cup for league one/two teams shouldn't really be embarassing. It's not like our trophy cabinet is exactly full to the brim with silverware is it?

To be honest as almost half our strongest eleven can't play in the JPT I see no reason why we can't still play for a strong end to the season and win the JPT.

COYR etc. Result is pretty much irrelevant, but a few more convincing wins will boost the confidence ahead of next season.

I suspect a few players will have one eye on Wembley and not getting worn out or crocked. I will therefore go with 0-0.

I don't think AP will take any league game lightly between now and the end of the season. He would much rather be called into Cortese's office to explain why we missed out on the play-offs by 2 points than having to justify 20 points behind.

Connolly/Waigo and Barnard to start up front maybe? Bring in Ox-Cham for Connolly if we are looking comfy second half. Rest Lambert but have him on the bench if needed.

Sorry mate, Barnard's cup-tied.

And rest Lambert in a cup final? Dream on...

ITK or just guessing?

Why should I be ITK over it:cool:, it's just the way things happen and human nature.

NC has already dealt with it in one of his interviews,if he talks about players "asking to leave" not being retained I think you can be fairly sure that it's not just a hypothetical situation. Anyway we have at least 2 players who have had their budding international careers nullified by being in League 1, both were "thinking" about moving on last season. AP talked them into staying, don't think he'll succeed again this time.Lambert? well his dad said he wanted a stab at the PL and I don't think we'll get there soon enough for him, he'll probably want to cash in on his season with us now rather than later.Lambert unlike many 3rd division hotshots still has potential for improvement on top of his obvious

ability to score a lot of goals and I can well see an EPL side taking a punt on that at 3 million or so which is, let's face' it chicken feed for the EPL where clubs regularly waste 5/10 million on complete non hopers.

Why should I be ITK over it:cool:, it's just the way things happen and human nature.

NC has already dealt with it in one of his interviews,if he talks about players "asking to leave" not being retained I think you can be fairly sure that it's not just a hypothetical situation. Anyway we have at least 2 players who have had their budding international careers nullified by being in League 1, both were "thinking" about moving on last season. AP talked them into staying, don't think he'll succeed again this time.Lambert? well his dad said he wanted a stab at the PL and I don't think we'll get there soon enough for him, he'll probably want to cash in on his season with us now rather than later.Lambert unlike many 3rd division hotshots still has potential for improvement on top of his obvious

ability to score a lot of goals and I can well see an EPL side taking a punt on that at 3 million or so which is, let's face' it chicken feed for the EPL where clubs regularly waste 5/10 million on complete non hopers.

You maybe right you may not. At the end of the day if Lambert goes for 3million I won't cry becuase we can still buy another million pound striker and have made 2 million more which NC can give back to Marcus if he is unhappy about the money we spent. To be honest I think alot of our players seem very happy here most knew that promotion was a long shot (playoffs maybe, promotion though was not odds on this year) this year yet they still came and signed long contracts. Also no matter what a player wants the club has to agree a price first and NC won't let anyone leave cheap.

Result is pretty much irrelevant.

Don't agree with this. In professional football the result is never irrelevant. Not to the fans, not to the players, not to the management and not to the ownership. Even in the midst of mid-table obscurity, wins are important, as is a winning mentality.

Question: Is there prize money per position, like there is in the EPL (albeit on a much smaller scale)? If so, even more of a reason to win every game.

Don't agree with this. In professional football the result is never irrelevant. Not to the fans, not to the players, not to the management and not to the ownership. Even in the midst of mid-table obscurity, wins are important, as is a winning mentality.

Question: Is there prize money per position, like there is in the EPL (albeit on a much smaller scale)? If so, even more of a reason to win every game.

No I don't think there is in the football league, could well be wrong though.

I've never heard any mention of position having any great financial relevance.

I don't know about the prize money, but any winning spirit is built on winning every game, and we're not anywhere near that yet. The whole idea that "it doesn't matter" must be banned from any competitive activity. This club has gone around for years saying that the youth team and reserve team isn't there to win games, and pre-season isn't about it either. As we have seen through the years this attitude breeds complacency, which translates into lost point and cup games when it really matters.

We need to go full tilt on Tuesday from the start, then if were winning comfortably then bring players off to rest them for Sunday. It should be a comfortable win, but who knows at the moment.

As for the JPT on Sunday I think it is important, it starts to instil a winning mentality, & when was the last time that Saints actually won a competition that it entered. I hope we win it in style, but more than that I hope we just win it.

I agree that we need to ensure there is no let up in the league and we carry that performance on into next season and yes that is the most important thing... but winning is winning and the JPT is a game we can and should win - its a confidence boost that that will hopefully keep a winning run going.

The rest of your post may be right about Lambert possibly wanting to leave, but this point above you're not.

The days of "wasting 5/10million" on any old rubbish are gone (for now). Just look at the last transfer window. Very few clubs have the liquid cash to make big signings, and 3 million is a lot to a Prem club now, especially on a player who's never even played in the Championship.

If Lambert does go, it'll be to a Championship club, but IMO he'll stay.

The rest of your post may be right about Lambert possibly wanting to leave, but this point above you're not.

The days of "wasting 5/10million" on any old rubbish are gone (for now). Just look at the last transfer window. Very few clubs have the liquid cash to make big signings, and 3 million is a lot to a Prem club now, especially on a player who's never even played in the Championship.

If Lambert does go, it'll be to a Championship club, but IMO he'll stay.

The relatively calm on transfer activity in January is because many EPL managers don't believe in that window any more.Far too many damp squibs bought for far too much money and no results.The summer transfer activity last season was pretty hefty as usual with loads of cash being spent on unknown qualities from nowhere.Many of them have failed completely but they're still hanging about the EPL waiting for next summer to move on.

I'd bet Newcastle take Lambert off our hands rather than stroppy Beckford.

what we do at the end of this season will have little bearing on next season because as likely as not our team will not be the same.Players will leave..count on it, some are way too good for this division and will want to move on.

This is also my concern. What have the players been promised regarding progress this season? Some are not so youthful any more and if the chance comes along to play at a higher level they might jump at the chance no matter how much money they're offered to stay.

Agree with what you say except the bit about the JPT. It is just as important to win the JPT as well. Losing that would do more damage to our confidence than any other result. The intensity should remain whatever the competition. There is no point resting anyone when we only have 11 games left to play this season.

Disagree. Think you will find the core of the first team will be the same. Possible doubts in my view are Lallana and Spiderman. They were not brought in by AP and so have not "bought into" the plans. There will hopefully be severa; squad players who will be shown the exit as well as non-playing staff such as Pulis and Molyneux. Lambert will still be here in my opinion, will move on if we are not in promotion spots next Jan, not before. If he has any sense he will realise that he is not really PL standard, but sadly money talks louder than sense.