0800 063 1097 - lbm

Saint_clark

Keep them on the phone for an hour or so on a pretence that you're interested in what they have to offer...

I'd go for this option.

If after an hour and a half you calmly let them know that you have been deliberately wasting their time and that they won't be getting a sale/any commission out of you, ever, they'll soon stop.

when they call and ask for whoever, jsut say 'Oh I will go and find them' Put the phone down a keep doing what you are doing go back 5 minutes later and if they are still there do it again. I have never had to do it again. How about a whistle down the mouthpiece lol

How do you get these c*cks to stop ringing you? First two times I told them I wasn't interested, third time I asked them to stop ringing, and they've just rung me three more times in the last hour.

The CEO is Mark Bates, why not drop him an email (you have a PM).

lbm??

They are a direct marketing company based in Manchester.

http://www.lbm.co.uk/Home.aspx

Think they used to sponsor Lancashire Cricket team - Lancashire Business systems or such like

Yes, they used to sponsor Lancs cricket and used to use Freddie Flintoff as PR at various marketing events.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

How do you get these c*cks to stop ringing you? First two times I told them I wasn't interested, third time I asked them to stop ringing, and they've just rung me three more times in the last hour.

In the past when this has happened to me I have answered the phone in a low voice/whisper, a little breathless and nervous and claimed to have just escaped from the cellar where I have been held captive for at least 3 years and have been brutally sexually violated. I then agree to buy stuff off them if they come and rescue me. Depending on the tone of the person on the other end of the line I then sometimes pretend my captor has just come in through the front door and then pretend to be the captor, shouting things like "how did you get out" and "who are you speaking to". I then act as if a scuffle is taking place and then clamp shut some handcuffs (I tried to get hold of a bear trap, but couldn't find one on ebay) and say "it'll be another 3 years before you get to see daylight again" and "all this struggling has made me really hard".

I suggest you do that.

I generally tell them that I will get the Master of the house to talk to them, give the phone to my 8 year old son, who loves talking to anybody on the phone, and leave him to it - works every time for me.

I generally tell them that I will get the Master of the house to talk to them, give the phone to my 8 year old son, who loves talking to anybody on the phone, and leave him to it - works every time for me.

Do exactly that with my 5 year old, so funny hearing him say "no, papa doesnt want to talk to you, you'll have to talk to me"

To aid a little. These companies use telephone dialers to do all the hard work. There is a law in place that states that no one company can contact you again within a set time period. If they make persistent calls to you on the same day you can report them to ofcom. There could be an issue with their data and dialer. Email who ever you can (someone high up) stating that unless they remove all information on you and provide fair compensation for time taken up (Normally £50 is a fair gesture) then you will report this to ofcom where they will face a find of at least £1000 because of an error on their system.

I used to work for an insurance firm that this happened to and they offered free insurance for the person for 2 years as way of compensation so they didn't get fined form ofcom.

In the past when this has happened to me I have answered the phone in a low voice/whisper, a little breathless and nervous and claimed to have just escaped from the cellar where I have been held captive for at least 3 years and have been brutally sexually violated. I then agree to buy stuff off them if they come and rescue me. Depending on the tone of the person on the other end of the line I then sometimes pretend my captor has just come in through the front door and then pretend to be the captor, shouting things like "how did you get out" and "who are you speaking to". I then act as if a scuffle is taking place and then clamp shut some handcuffs (I tried to get hold of a bear trap, but couldn't find one on ebay) and say "it'll be another 3 years before you get to see daylight again" and "all this struggling has made me really hard".

I suggest you do that.

Does that work when the tax office phone too? :)

Does the TPS work with those that use a recorded message to sell/advertise things? I'm getting quite a few, obviously you can't say hold the line and leave it, and there is no option to tell them to f-off.

Yes.

However the TPS only covers calls from within the UK so companies are using other companies to perform this from outside of the UK.

Does the TPS work with those that use a recorded message to sell/advertise things? I'm getting quite a few, obviously you can't say hold the line and leave it, and there is no option to tell them to f-off.

Plus there are very tight laws governing these systems. There must be a way to break out to speak to someone if there is not they are breaking the law so note down the company and time of call (any number displayed as well if possible) and raise the complaint with ofcom

Do exactly that with my 5 year old, so funny hearing him say "no, papa doesnt want to talk to you, you'll have to talk to me"

I'm sure your son talks a lot more sense than you anyway :D

But these calls are a damned nuisance so I do use caller display and any number I don't recognise or more likely no number given I don't answer, got no 5 year old to pass the phone to !

Answer the phone and when you have somebody you are speaking too, blow a referees whistle down the phone. :) It will totally deafen them, if they do not hang up tell them that is the response they will get every time they call. It worked for me with an Indian call center after the third time they dropped my number from their list.

Plus there are very tight laws governing these systems. There must be a way to break out to speak to someone if there is not they are breaking the law so note down the company and time of call (any number displayed as well if possible) and raise the complaint with ofcom

Great thanks. On a few there is an option (dial 5) to call but I assumed it would be at a premium rate but most is just a recorded message.

I just rely on my caller id. If its 0800 or withheld I divert the call straight to voicemail. If its important they will leave a message.

Although the other day one phoned while I was getting in a bit of guitar practice. I put the phone next to the amp, then unfortunately moved the guitar a bit too close. The feedback was fairly ear splitting...

I was aware it covers English registered companies, regardless of where the call is made from.

no, not necessarily. it should do, but there are plenty of companies who dont scrub against the tps lists. LBM do scrub all their lists against the TPS, so register with them and should be ok after about 28 days. they would get severely bollocked by the DMA if they didn't. they are actually a very reputable company, although most of their directors are cokeheads

i know the owners well so if anyone has any major problems drop me a pm and i'll have a chat with them

Edited by Saint Keith

Reminded me of this fantastic wind up:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=16733006

Try that?

LOL that'a brilliant.

Our company gets the odd irritating marketing call, number seems to have increased over the last few months. My mate has a habit of playing the audio of youtube videos down the phone to them. The last one this daft bint got a Barry White song played to her, gradually increasing in volume. She went on for about 5 mins before she realised it was a wind up and not just background noise. He's thinking of investing in a sound effects CD ;)