Jelle Van Damme

spyinthesky

Are you Dalek, are you Dalek, are you Dalek in disguise...

You must be one of the lunatic fringe. If you hadn't vocalised your opinion then Lowe and Hoddle would be guiding us to our third consecutive European Cup, blah, blah, repeat ad nauseum.

In a word, "yes".

Understood to be interesting Fulham

Thought he was in trouble with the law or am I mistaking this situation with Ulrich Van Gobbel?

I think Roy Hodgson has far more sense than to be interested in this con man. He was allegedly a footballer, but that was shown to be a claim that was not proven. One of the worst signings Saints ever made: bad footballer, nasty person.

I think Roy Hodgson has far more sense than to be interested in this con man. He was allegedly a footballer, but that was shown to be a claim that was not proven. One of the worst signings Saints ever made: bad footballer, nasty person.

Can you describe why he was so bad?

The reason I ask is that I didn't get to many Saints games when he was at the club, indeed my only memory of him playing was when he scored in a pre-season friendly!

Or have I answered my own question!

He's probably not that bad when you consider he is currently winning Championship medals in Belgium, playing in Europe and has represented his country 20 plus times.

hth.

I once got a series of Jelle's Sky tv bills to my house in Portswood...which was bizarre as he lived in South Western House! Dull but true!

People are getting him confused with con man/fraudster Ulrich Van Gobbel. The pacey Dutch defender with the most inaccurate shot in football! He was done for some car scam, bought cars on credit & sold em before they'd been paid for or something along those lines. Remember it in the Echo. Thought there was also some scam with hire cars but could be wrong.

Once nearly moved in next door to me, hoofed the ball at Crouch too much in preseason 2004, always injured, refused to play for us post-relegation, seems to have done well at Anderlecht, drove a yellow Hummer which wouldn't even get him halfway to London on a tank of petrol, prompted an interesting song to the tune of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and an Ajax fan at Euro 2004 said he was "clumsy" and looked mildly embarrased about him when I asked him about our new signing.

These are my Jelle van Damme facts.

Was this the same Jelle Van Damme who was MoM at Home Park in a pre-season friendly?

I recall Saints fans giving him a standing ovation when he walked past us at Craven Cottage, simply because he was on the bench and Wigley would not play him. He must have done something right whilst with us then.

Fair play to him he's just been absolutely brilliant this season. And I hate Anderlecht just as much as you hate P*mpey.

I take it you support a Belgian club too then?

I was at Charleroi vs Standard yesterday, nowt for either side to play for but a decent game and a cracking atmosphere given the attendance!

As for Van Damme, you're right, unfair to tarnish him with the mediocre season he had here, decent player and would do a job at Fulham.

I met him a few times on the plane/airport when I was commuting from Brussels, he was very polite, open and forthcoming about club matters etc..

I take people as I find them and he was nothing like the 'nasty person' you describe !

I watched his sweden preseason matches and some early season matches of him whatever year it was and he even came over + swopped saints shirts with me at halmstad i think it was ( i must be the only saints fan with a "van Damme" on the back of a home shirt).... He was a talented ballplaying left back. Quite tall for a defender. Quite fast. Good left peg. Didnt he headbutt the foot of the post at sms one match? I think he scored a free kick in front of my eyes there as well. Probably bit arrogant but he was a reasonably cultured + technical, better than average player in a Saints team that probably didnt appreciate him or his qualities...certainly my impression was the players didnt pass to him much and i put two and two together and worked out they didnt like him...I also think a reason for his failure at Saints was it was the sturrock "defenders will defend" period and he was a more offensive ( cue remarks about off field offensive behaviour...)type of player who was happier attacking than defending ( which is a bit of a problem for a left back...)

Edited by Giordano
my spelling!

I take it you support a Belgian club too then?

I was at Charleroi vs Standard yesterday, nowt for either side to play for but a decent game and a cracking atmosphere given the attendance!

As for Van Damme, you're right, unfair to tarnish him with the mediocre season he had here, decent player and would do a job at Fulham.

I was born in Liège and Standard v. Real Madrid in 1969 was my 1st football game ever. It was my 6th birthday present. I now follow my local team (Mons who are in the playoffs to get back in div. 1 one year after relegation)

I was born in Liège and Standard v. Real Madrid in 1969 was my 1st football game ever. It was my 6th birthday present. I now follow my local team (Mons who are in the playoffs to get back in div. 1 one year after relegation)

So you have had a better season this than last when both Mons and Saints were relegated

Can you describe why he was so bad?

The reason I ask is that I didn't get to many Saints games when he was at the club, indeed my only memory of him playing was when he scored in a pre-season friendly!

Or have I answered my own question!

Lazy, disinterested unless getting his own way, petulant, poor tackler, poor crosser. Made it clear he wanted out at the earliest opportunity, because he thought he was too good for us. He was in short a legend in his own mind.

People are getting him confused with con man/fraudster Ulrich Van Gobbel.

No confusion on my part, it is quite easy to distinguish between JvD and UvG. JvD was complete cack when he was with us, and did not distinguish himslef either when he went to W Bremen. he is 26 now, so may have matured since then (wouldn't be difficult). My reference to him being a con-man was that he conned people into thinking he was a good footballer, much like Ali Dia, not in any legal way like van Gobbel.

Sorry if my view is not the same as some others who may have rose tinted spcs, but to me JvD epitmoised all that was wrong with SFC under previous regismes and all that is wrong with modern day football and footballer mercenaries.

I saw him playing for Anderlecht against Hamburg in the Europa League a few weeks ago and he looked pretty good that night, both defensively and offensively. Hamburg were struggling to handle him, as he is so strong he just went straight through their attempts to challenge him. He's certainly developed since he left Saints.

I still remember seeing some of his free kicks from 30 to 40 yards out, so much power that if they of been on target the keeper would of ended up in the net as well as the ball. As previous posters have said he didn't get a fair rub of the green at Saints and on the odd occasions that he did make the team, he was playing with probably the worst set of defenders in Saints history and under managers that didn't have a clue how to see out a game when we were leading.

I remember Redkrap playing him and Kenwyne Jones as wing backs away to Brum in the relegation season. It was a disaster and was when i knew Redkrap didn't care and Saints were likely to be relegated.

I went to that, and remember him playing Kenwyne as an orthodox right midfielder in that game, not a wing back... and Van Damme in left midfield because he had Bernard in the side at left back.

As we also had Telfer at right back, and Davenport and Claus in the back 4, you are implying we played with a back 4 and 2 additional wing backs, or 6 defenders. We did not do this, though I'm sure there was plenty of confusion down the left nevertheless. and we only lost 2-1, which considering the season was a pretty respectable "disaster" too.

Southampton: Niemi, Telfer, Davenport, Lundekvam, Bernard, Delap, Prutton, Redknapp, Van Damme ( Anders Svensson, 69 ) , Jones ( Camara, 45 ) , Crouch

Was this the same Jelle Van Damme who was MoM at Home Park in a pre-season friendly?

I recall Saints fans giving him a standing ovation when he walked past us at Craven Cottage, simply because he was on the bench and Wigley would not play him. He must have done something right whilst with us then.

I was at that game and I thought he was really good then. Got forward really well and was probably the only person in our team putting crosses into the box.

Lack of defensive skills probably cost him his place with us but under the right managment that is happy for a left back to go charging up the wing I always thought he would do OK.

still a knob though.

I went to that, and remember him playing Kenwyne as an orthodox right midfielder in that game, not a wing back... and Van Damme in left midfield because he had Bernard in the side at left back.

As we also had Telfer at right back, and Davenport and Claus in the back 4, you are implying we played with a back 4 and 2 additional wing backs, or 6 defenders. We did not do this, though I'm sure there was plenty of confusion down the left nevertheless. and we only lost 2-1, which considering the season was a pretty respectable "disaster" too.

Southampton: Niemi, Telfer, Davenport, Lundekvam, Bernard, Delap, Prutton, Redknapp, Van Damme ( Anders Svensson, 69 ) , Jones ( Camara, 45 ) , Crouch

Maybe my memory is a bit blurred due to pre match beer but i do remember Van Damme and Jones played awful that night against a poor home side. I don't think Jones has ever played in midfield since.

On paper its still hard to understand how that team got bloody relegated!

Anders still plays at international level, apart from Davenport the defence had plenty of experience so should have been fairly solid, Jones Crouch and Camera as attacking threats are not short of a few goals, Delap still plays in the prem and Redknapp was still class even though it was his final year.

You're right he didn't play wing back but as I remember it Van Damme was on the left wing and Jones on the right wing, with 5 in midfield altogether. But Van Damme was certainly no winger and Jones was totally out of his depth and got moved to partner Crouch pretty swiftly, but the whole first half was awful anyway. Camara made all the difference in the second and we then made a game of it.

Maybe my memory is a bit blurred due to pre match beer but i do remember Van Damme and Jones played awful that night against a poor home side. I don't think Jones has ever played in midfield since.

Jones wasn't that good. Possibly the worst ever display in a Saints shirt including that one off Ali Dia appearance, the Steve Baker skate game, the Ian Andrews QPR game...

On paper its still hard to understand how that team got bloody relegated!

Anders still plays at international level, apart from Davenport the defence had plenty of experience so should have been fairly solid, Jones Crouch and Camera as attacking threats are not short of a few goals, Delap still plays in the prem and Redknapp was still class even though it was his final year.

I think you just answered your own question there - takes all 4 of the back 4 to defend, if one of them's not up to it, there's a lorry-sized gap in the middle of the defence to be exploited. Bernard hardly covered himself in glory either, and Jamie's knees were shot and he could hardly move, nor play twice in a week. We scored a lot of goals, but usually conceded more.

I readily agree that Jones (especially) was terrible against Birmingham, but then he wasn't a right midfielder - we signed him as a defensive midfielder and barely played him, before Sturrock converted him to a striker at Sheff Wed when he was there on loan in 2004/5.

With Jones having been a massive success up front, he returned to St Mary's full of confidence all of 2 weeks before Redknapp decided to play him in right midfield, away in that Birmingham match. It tangibly killed his confidence and was inexplicable and ridiculous, and entirely in line with Redknapp's management "ability" at Saints. Redknapp then sent him to second tier Stoke on loan 2 weeks later.

At least playing van Damme at left mid made sense, as he'd done very little defending for us and had just come back from injury and Redknapp was trying to see how he'd fit into a side in which Bernard was going to be left back if Le Saux was injured. He didn't play another match for Saints.

For the record, Saints only ever won one match with JvD in the side, at home to Northampton in the League Cup.

I think you just answered your own question there - takes all 4 of the back 4 to defend, if one of them's not up to it, there's a lorry-sized gap in the middle of the defence to be exploited. Bernard hardly covered himself in glory either, and Jamie's knees were shot and he could hardly move, nor play twice in a week. We scored a lot of goals, but usually conceded more.

I readily agree that Jones (especially) was terrible against Birmingham, but then he wasn't a right midfielder - we signed him as a defensive midfielder and barely played him, before Sturrock converted him to a striker at Sheff Wed when he was there on loan in 2004/5.

With Jones having been a massive success up front, he returned to St Mary's full of confidence all of 2 weeks before Redknapp decided to play him in right midfield, away in that Birmingham match. It tangibly killed his confidence and was inexplicable and ridiculous, and entirely in line with Redknapp's management "ability" at Saints. Redknapp then sent him to second tier Stoke on loan 2 weeks later.

At least playing van Damme at left mid made sense, as he'd done very little defending for us and had just come back from injury and Redknapp was trying to see how he'd fit into a side in which Bernard was going to be left back if Le Saux was injured. He didn't play another match for Saints.

For the record, Saints only ever won one match with JvD in the side, at home to Northampton in the League Cup.

I think the biggest problem was the manager. Although apart from the conspirecy theory of being on a mission from Poopy, I cant understand why he was so bad for us. Everywhere else he has been he has been a success and even twice at poopy!

That team however or at least that squad of players, with the manager performing like we think he should have should not really have been in a relegation fight IMO.

I think the biggest problem was the manager. Although apart from the conspirecy theory of being on a mission from Poopy, I cant understand why he was so bad for us. Everywhere else he has been he has been a success and even twice at poopy!

That team however or at least that squad of players, with the manager performing like we think he should have should not really have been in a relegation fight IMO.

His modus operandi is to come in, tell everyone the current squad needs work, spend a load of cash whilst trousering a chunk of the various spin-off agent fees, complain about being down to the bare bones, buy a load more players, have them all play 5-a-side at training, fall out with a senior pro who goes on to be excellent elsewhere, loan out a load of kids to his mates, chat to his buddies in the media more often than he takes a training session and usually jump ship when it looks good, whilst blaming everyone else.

So no, I'm not sure why it didn't work either - oh yeah, Lowe wouldn't let him spend a load of cash on sh01te in order to find the few half decent players that pick themselves, like he has done everywhere else.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-331456/Redknapp-I-need-buy-teams-rubbish.html

Self-fulfilling prophecy if there ever was one.

His modus operandi is to come in, tell everyone the current squad needs work, spend a load of cash whilst trousering a chunk of the various spin-off agent fees, complain about being down to the bare bones, buy a load more players, have them all play 5-a-side at training, fall out with a senior pro who goes on to be excellent elsewhere, loan out a load of kids to his mates, chat to his buddies in the media more often than he takes a training session and usually jump ship when it looks good, whilst blaming everyone else.

So no, I'm not sure why it didn't work either - oh yeah, Lowe wouldn't let him spend a load of cash on sh01te in order to find the few half decent players that pick themselves, like he has done everywhere else.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-331456/Redknapp-I-need-buy-teams-rubbish.html

Self-fulfilling prophecy if there ever was one.

LOL cant argue with that really.

I think with Lowe we had a chairman that knew we didnt have much money so refused to spend and the carry-on outfit down the road had Storrie who knew they had no money but flashed the cash anyway.

Spuds being a london club seem to have more money than sence too, buying back half the players they flogged to Poopy in the 1st place. Wonder if the bottom will eventually fall out of that one?

I agree with you because apart from the time at Southampton Harry has been a relatively successful manager but I suppose this success was down to buying expensive players.

Although Wigley had poor results a lot could have been down to injuries when he was in charge but there were two or three games where we were winning but lost in the dying seconds against Middleboro Everton and maybe Leeds where Harry did little to make certain that we kept the lead.

Perhaps the defenders were getting too old and could not last for the full 90 mins.

I dont really care now as we would have had to continually try to avoid relegation with little money if we were still in the Premier League.

Now we can look forward to the future and I expect next season to be pretty successful

No confusion on my part, it is quite easy to distinguish between JvD and UvG. JvD was complete cack when he was with us, and did not distinguish himslef either when he went to W Bremen. he is 26 now, so may have matured since then (wouldn't be difficult). My reference to him being a con-man was that he conned people into thinking he was a good footballer, much like Ali Dia, not in any legal way like van Gobbel.

Sorry if my view is not the same as some others who may have rose tinted spcs, but to me JvD epitmoised all that was wrong with SFC under previous regismes and all that is wrong with modern day football and footballer mercenaries.

Misunderstood. Thought you literally meant con man committing fraud...in which case, that useless lump Van Gobbel was the one with legal wranglings & car scam. I'll get m' duffle coat! ;0)