Let's be honest

dune

This whole election has been a disaster for every party and for the country.

The Tories have won it, but have failed to win it outright and that's poor under the circumstances.

Labour have done almost as badly as Michael foot but this has been masked by the how the voting system favours them.

The Liberals were going to breakthrough and win 100-120 seats due to cleggmania and they have done worse than they did last time.

The result is a mess and we're now up **** creek with the deficit and there's not the necessary strong govt. to bulldoze through the unpopular, but essential cuts.

Today is a grave day for Britain.:(

It's quite funny in a way.

uncertainty is not funny when it comes the economy at the best of times. So far the LSE hasn't dropped too much and there hasn't been a run on the pound, but who is to say it won't happen tomorrow? Given the dire state of public finances we are vulnerable and we could end up like Greece.

uncertainty is not funny when it comes the economy at the best of times. So far the LSE hasn't dropped too much and there hasn't been a run on the pound, but who is to say it won't happen tomorrow? Given the dire state of public finances we are vulnerable and we could end up like Greece.

We have a long way to go before we are like Greece, that isn't to say there isn't some nasty medicine needed.

We have a long way to go before we are like Greece, that isn't to say there isn't some nasty medicine needed.

That's the point, will the nasty medicine be administered or will the shambles of a government mean a weaker dose is given? We're back to uncertainty again and the markets hate that.:(

What is interesting is that under a Labour vote that is about as low as it can go they have a chance of hanging on and a Conservative vote that will go no higher cannot secure a majority government.

This gives rise to two conclusions:

1. The electoral system is possibly unfair and in need of overhaul.

2. The Conservatives who claim to be the party of change are not offering enough change to get beyond mid-30%. They are still not reaching out enough. This is partly because they refuse to dump "traditional" Tory policies that are unpopular elsewhere - fox hunting, reform of the Lords, abolition of hereditary peers etc.

Both points need to be addressed if the Tories are to gain extra popular votes in today's Britain.

What is interesting is that under a Labour vote that is about as low as it can go they have a chance of hanging on and a Conservative vote that will go no higher cannot secure a majority government.

This gives rise to two conclusions:

1. The electoral system is possibly unfair and in need of overhaul.

2. The Conservatives who claim to be the party of change are not offering enough change to get beyond mid-30%. They are still not reaching out enough. This is partly because they refuse to dump "traditional" Tory policies that are unpopular elsewhere - fox hunting, reform of the Lords, abolition of hereditary peers etc.

Both points need to be addressed if the Tories are to gain extra popular votes in today's Britain.

Britain is the issue - no problems getting a majority in England.....

The Tories have won it, but have failed to win it outright and that's poor under the circumstances.

Labour have done almost as badly as Michael foot but this has been masked by the how the voting system favours them.

The Liberals were going to breakthrough and win 100-120 seats due to cleggmania and they have done worse than they did last time.

The result is a mess and we're now up **** creek with the deficit and there's not the necessary strong govt. to bulldoze through the unpopular, but essential cuts.

I agree. I don't like the idea of Labour and the Liberals (and I am Labour through and through) joining forces to create what would be a minority coalition, same with the Tories having a minority government (although this would be fairer - they did win more votes). I suppose a Tory/Liberal coalition would be OK, at least there would be a majority but I don't think it would work in practice and I can't see it happening anyway.

All the horse trading now seems wrong. Why don't we just do it again?

Dune, would those unpopluar cuts include the cut in inheritance tax for the wealthiest estates in the land. ;)

I agree. I don't like the idea of Labour and the Liberals (and I am Labour through and through) joining forces to create what would be a minority coalition, same with the Tories having a minority government (although this would be fairer - they did win more votes). I suppose a Tory/Liberal coalition would be OK, at least there would be a majority but I don't think it would work in practice and I can't see it happening anyway.

All the horse trading now seems wrong. Why don't we just do it again?

It won't work, the Tories and the Liberals are poles apart at all levels of their respective parties. SkyBet are offering 11/10 on another election this year and you'd be a fool to back against it.

I agree, it is silly, but it is in their manifesto.

How would you feel if you lived in a stately home knowing that when you died your children may have to sell an important Gainsborough? The Tories are not looking after their own, this policy has nothing to do with the old leftie whinge about the tories being the party of the rich, this is a policy that is all about enabling Britains precious historical houses to protect their collections so that working class people can go on days out to these wonderful attractions and marvel at the contents. It's people like you that totally miss the point and always have to see the worst in every Tory proposal.

How would you feel if you lived in a stately home knowing that when you died your children may have to sell an important Gainsborough? The Tories are not looking after their own, this policy has nothing to do with the old leftie whinge about the tories being the party of the rich, this is a policy that is all about enabling Britains precious historical houses to protect their collections so that working class people can go on days out to these wonderful attractions and marvel at the contents. It's people like you that totally miss the point and always have to see the worst in every Tory proposal.

I and millions of others will gladly pay more tax so that the rich don't have to sell an important Gainsborough.

Seems a surefire winner for the Tories to me.

At least if there is a Tory-Lib Dem Coalition then we may not have to endure 4 or 5 years with that clown Osbourne as Chancellor.

Would be a smart move by csmereon to give chancellor job to cabel but very unlikely I'd have thought

Would be a smart move by csmereon to give chancellor job to cabel but very unlikely I'd have thought

I'm not so sure. Being able to dispose of Osborne like this may well be seen as great way to get rid without the embarrassment. This way they can reluctantly move him into a cabinet job that doesn't get much media attention as senior Tories would love to do.

Oh I hadnt thought of it like that, doffing his cap in thanks, what utter sh*t you do spout.

theyve never said that

Britain is the issue - no problems getting a majority in England.....

Nail on the head. The Union is farcical when Scotland, Wales and NI have their own Parliaments/Assemblies and the English do not have one exclusively for English matters. Take away the Labour/ Lib/Dem MPs from this last election and there would be absolutely no doubt at all which party the clear majority of English wanted to govern England.

Nail on the head. The Union is farcical when Scotland, Wales and NI have their own Parliaments/Assemblies and the English do not have one exclusively for English matters. Take away the Labour/ Lib/Dem MPs from this last election and there would be absolutely no doubt at all which party the clear majority of English wanted to govern England.

Absolutely. Any talk about voting reform must include the removal of the Scottish hegemony. (And I don't mean December 31st)

I'm sure you meant remove the Celtic states rather than remove the opposition? Anyhow, results for England alone give the Tories 9,911,062 votes, vs voters who specifically don't want a Tory government and opted to vote Liberal or Labour: 13,104,532. I think it's cleat to see which party a clear majority of England don't want to be ruled by.

I'm sure you meant remove the Celtic states rather than remove the opposition? Anyhow, results for England alone give the Tories 9,911,062 votes, vs voters who specifically don't want a Tory government and opted to vote Liberal or Labour: 13,104,532. I think it's cleat to see which party a clear majority of England don't want to be ruled by.

That's rather meaningless, isn't it?

And of course, if you extrapolate the votes for either of the other two parties in the same way, the situation becomes that the electorate would want either of them even less. :rolleyes:

Yes, apologies for the error, as you say, I meant the Labour, Lib/Dem MPs (plus of course the other minor parties, the nationalists), elected in Scotland, Wales, NI.