“Some of them are too relaxed with the defeat.”

alpine_saint

He deserves a chance with a better bunch of players but I fear he'll not get one if it all goes tits-up here.

I'm still clinging to the hope that the lads will turn it on for him. They have the talent, they just need to step it up to 1st team level.

As for Jan, I like his attitude, he's not all platitudes and excuses like some who've gone before him.

The difference is that they are doing it with run of the mill championship sides but we are doing it with a run of the mill championship club's youth side.
your disrespect is not becoming.For someone who must have been going for a long time I would expect to understand a bit more especially after some of the dross served up to us over the years.

Is this the first outward sign that the players - or some of them - lack respect for JP?

I can't imagine anyone managed by, say, Strachan, Pearson, Davies, all the way up to Ferguson, just coming off the pitch and just shrugging their shoulders. They wouldn't dare.

Is this the first outward sign that the players - or some of them - lack respect for JP?

I can't imagine anyone managed by, say, Strachan, Pearson, Davies, all the way up to Ferguson, just coming off the pitch and just shrugging their shoulders. They wouldn't dare.

no we would never lose a game 5-0 or worse under them would we?

If this is true it's somewhat ironic after the mutterings from the club regarding the poor attititude of some of the senior players that were disposed of. Plenty of leaks to that effect in any case or was that just a smokescreen to justify their departure.

A controversial thought.

Could the dwindling and apathetic fanbase give these players cause to not care about the club's fate?

(Yes, there are other more likely reasons, poor motivation from JP, poor proffesionalism from these teenagers... but still, just a thought I had, especially after Keane slammed the Sunderland fans for simply 'expecting' a win v Northampton.)

Whichever way you try and paint the picture our youth are either not good enough or too inexperienced at this level. Collectively with the defeats I can't see them getting better any time soon, their confidence must have taken a hammering. It will be very difficult for them to get it back, every mistake that they make gets magnified as a result and lowers their confidence even more. It was a crazy experiment to blood so many so soon.

Whichever way you try and paint the picture our youth are either not good enough or too inexperienced at this level. Collectively with the defeats I can't see them getting better any time soon, their confidence must have taken a hammering. It will be very difficult for them to get it back, every mistake that they make gets magnified as a result and lowers their confidence even more. It was a crazy experiment to blood so many so soon.
Snowballs, to a degree what you say is true especially the bit about thier confidence.Do you not think the messages boards are read by these lads and seeing what a lot of fans are saying about them doesnt knock them further.

I know it will be'well they are professionals and they get paid lots of money' bla bla bla but we as fans or should I say 'supporters' should support them not kick them when they are down.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/3700726.Rotherham_defeat_gives_Poortvliet_a_sleepless_night/

Sort of explains an awful lot.

Good that JP keeps his refreshing candid outlook though.. Respect.

Seems that the players do NOT really care whether they Win, Lose or Draw ...... and for that sort of attitude, it has to come back to the Manager? Coach ... ie Jan Poortvliet

For me, it is obvious that the players now have no CONFIDENCE, RESPECT, or BELIEF in JP's Methods and System

That would be painfully OBVIOUS to a Manager of a Hants League 2 Team. I fear that if Lowe persists with his "Youth is the way", then he may very well be proved correct ......... The way to Div 1, and worse

In Business Rupert, if your methods, doctrine, system, etc, is not working .... then you reflect back on that, and CHANGE IT ........ before the Business goes down the pan

As a humble CUSTOMER of yours, I would suggest you change it quick, otherwise, the 15000 at the last home match will be seem as a Full House at the next one

Your CUSTOMERS do not like what is on offer. Only a Fool would not take heed if his CUSTOMER base was eroding fast

Radical Change should be top of the next Agenda .......... else, GET OUT

Seems that the players do NOT really care whether they Win, Lose or Draw ...... and for that sort of attitude, it has to come back to the Manager? Coach ... ie Jan Poortvliet

For me, it is obvious that the players now have no CONFIDENCE, RESPECT, or BELIEF in JP's Methods and System

That would be painfully OBVIOUS to a Manager of a Hants League 2 Team. I fear that if Lowe persists with his "Youth is the way", then he may very well be proved correct ......... The way to Div 1, and worse

In Business Rupert, if your methods, doctrine, system, etc, is not working .... then you reflect back on that, and CHANGE IT ........ before the Business goes down the pan

As a humble CUSTOMER of yours, I would suggest you change it quick, otherwise, the 15000 at the last home match will be seem as a Full House at the next one

Your CUSTOMERS do not like what is on offer. Only a Fool would not take heed if his CUSTOMER base was eroding fast

Wow a post where you didnt crave for adminsitration. By the way I dont beleiev the players have lost their faith in him.

Wow a post where you didnt crave for adminsitration. By the way I dont beleiev the players have lost their faith in him.

The last few games would suggest otherwise but it is not too late for him to show his worth. He will know more than anyone the next few games are vital

and he has the chance with the team to turn it round. If this does not happen the divide between coach and team increases and it becomes a real blame game. I forgive him for the last few comments about his team he should

deal with that differently as it is his fault as much as theirs.

All get your act together and Coach JP the season starts again from here.

Great post , I agree with all of that............... Especially the bit about Lowe getting out

At the start of the season they were all buzzing and full of confidence and could hardly misplace a pass. Yes we were done by poor defending (by the whole team) and corrections/coaching needed to be done to get rid of that. A couple of injurys and we lacked the players that had the ability to put these things right so we turn out for a few bad results.

Now all of a sudden we are finding it very difficult to pass to our own team when this should be our main stregnth. dThis is the time that the older heads inthe team should be guiding the youngsters and making sure they dont panic pass. Get things simple and pass it between defence and midfield letting the attack create some movment and we can build from there.

This is where I think Jan really needs to get things right. Its not the constant shuffle of the youth all over the park but the right choice of an older head and in the right place. Wooton should be that older head but even he has been mis-placing passes and not having the right effect on those around him latly. I never thought I would say it but Euell seems like he could be the player missing that would help guide the kids in the middle of the park.

Obviosly he is injured and I dont think we have anyone else to fill that role. Maybe some of the kids are now expecting to play and have lost some of the urgency they had at the begining. There really isnt much compitition for places right now apart from up front. But if the service isnt there then the forwards havnt got much chance to compete for the place/'s.

If McGoldrick gets dropped at least we know Jan is seeing what we are seeing and even better if he changes to a 4-4-2 while we wait for some of the injurys to recover we IMO become harder to beat.

I will be amazed if Jan gets the axe as from where I am sitting he is trying to do what he can do within the boundrys that have been set. Time for the team to settle down and do the simle things right.

In the games we played well wasn't it Morgan, Holmes, Gillet and Lallana that were really running the show? Now two of those are injured and one has temporarily lost form. Is that too simplistic?

This is a just point.Our habitual injury jinx is hitting us again.

When will it ever stop. Thomas came in and looked half decent (for once) and then disappeared with a longish term injury. Holmes out for at least 2 months,

Morgan ? who knows... We have 29 in our first team squad, if we get 7 or 8

injuries and an idiotic 3 match suspension 30 minutes into a professional career, we're down to the really really inexperienced (like Davies) or the abject no hopers like Dyer and BWP. For me there were 2 players to get shot of at all cost last summer, Dyer and BWP, why we didn't beats me.I mean if we're not playing Skacel (who may or may not be up to it) because of money but we're still paying BWP and Dyer it just makes no sense, none whatsoever.I'm not Rasiak's biggest fan but even I'd rather have him in the side than those 2,and surely he can't cost more than both of the put together.

I'm glad you like a laugh my friend .....

IMHO, I no longer have to "crave" for Administration......... that will happen sooner rather than later ........ and certainly not because of one humble Customer like myself

And if you think that the players are not losing faith with JP, then you are deluding yourself Big Time

In the games we played well wasn't it Morgan, Holmes, Gillet and Lallana that were really running the show? Now two of those are injured and one has temporarily lost form. Is that too simplistic?

Sounds to simple but I think it does have allot to do with our current state. The defence need the midfield to keep the ball better and when the above were all in we were doing that allot more. Still needed a bit of work but at least when we had the ball we looked dangerous going forward.

The backups to these players are either injured themselves or not used to playing in these positions so its hardly surprising things seem to be going so wrong.

I am all for this system of bringing the kids in and turning them into a fast attacking team. Arsenal do it year in year out. But what Arsenal have that we dont is a full team of experienced players that have already been through this system and have stepped up to the next level.

We have 1 team and no backup and the injury jinx will cost us again.

So you think that if we went back to playing 4-4-2 and bought players like Jermaine Wright, Darren Powell, Alex Ostlund, Inigo Idiakez, Chris Makin & Youssef Safri we would be heading towards promotion with a packed SMS. I don't think so

It is blindingly obvious what the problem is. Passing football cannot be played if there is no width. The players picked to play wide, don't and move around all over the place. The wide men have to be there to give multi options.

Whenever one goes missing and the other players expect an outlet it forces us to go narrow, Blackpool, Ipswich, Barnsley, Rotherham. The biggest culprit is McGoldrick playing where he wants, despite being picked wide, sod the system.

If this is true it's somewhat ironic after the mutterings from the club regarding the poor attititude of some of the senior players that were disposed of. Plenty of leaks to that effect in any case or was that just a smokescreen to justify their departure.

This thought occurred to me too...

The money first, medals maybe later attitude is pandemic in football nowadays, the only surprise is that our players who have mostly achieved so little seem to believe they'll get anywhere in the game without even establishing themselves first.

It's no use either way, but at least the lazy senior pros had achieved something at some point prior to sitting back and taking the money. I don't know why "mutterings" is needed as if there wasn't a good 6 months' worth of evidence on the pitch, either !

This lot have proven nothing other than if they put the effort it they might be able to get some results, and if they don't put the effort in they have no chance.

your disrespect is not becoming.For someone who must have been going for a long time I would expect to understand a bit more especially after some of the dross served up to us over the years.

They are the least skilled bunch i think i have seen at the club. Last seasons players bottled it, they didn't even turn up. However the season before that the same team got to the playoffs which shows when they do turn up they can be good. I can't see this team being anywhere other then bottom 3 right now.

They are the least skilled bunch i think i have seen at the club. Last seasons players bottled it, they didn't even turn up. However the season before that the same team got to the playoffs which shows when they do turn up they can be good. I can't see this team being anywhere other then bottom 3 right now.

Then again you probably never saw Docker Walker, Cliff Huxford or Tommy Mulgrew. When shankly called us an alehouse team he was not a million miles from the truth. At one time I played a few games with an ageing Tommy Traynor and a slightly less ageing Bobby McClooughlin-they had no skill whatsoever.Sorry to the old guys but if those boyos were still wearing the shirt we'd be down to 8 men after 3 or 4 minutes (so would the others mind you).

Jimmy Gabriel-to this day the only player sent off on a stretcher???

Then again you probably never saw Docker Walker, Cliff Huxford or Tommy Mulgrew. When shankly called us an alehouse team he was not a million miles from the truth. At one time I played a few games with an ageing Tommy Traynor and a slightly less ageing Bobby McClooughlin-they had no skill whatsoever.Sorry to the old guys but if those boyos were still wearing the shirt we'd be down to 8 men after 3 or 4 minutes (so would the others mind you).

Jimmy Gabriel-to this day the only player sent off on a stretcher???

Was a little bit before my time. Still i wonder how that team would fare today. Obviously most would be sent off before half time, think i would still pay to see that though!

I dont understand the quote'they are the least skilled bunch i have seen at the club'

Thet ARE NOT they are the LEAST MOTIVATED BUNCH

The likes of BWP, Surman and Dyer know that if they did not have a contract there is no way they would be playing,asthey do not fit into Lowes plans( anybody with any talent gets sold) the rest do not give a damn about the club as they know that the board may sell them at anytime.The only way up is get Rupert out

Not really too simplistic, Holmes as the outlet ball for Lloyd James was the key all preseason and in the early games, the first game after Holmes got injured James looked terrible because he tried the pass once to Dyer and Dyer didn't keep it in, never mind hold it, get past his man and get in a cross.

After that James didn't know what to do with himself when he had the ball, hence loads of hoofs up the line and panicking which made him look worse than he was - the obvious shoulder/arm injury he picked up was preventing him moving freely as well, but it was the lack of a plan B that hurt us most. Even so we scored twice against Ipswich, mostly due to Pekhart's efforts.

The following game against Barnsley without either James or Holmes we simply didn't know what the system was meant to be and the strikers were all over the place (especially BWP and McG). Defensively we have a huge gap in front of the back 4 every time we lose the ball as the two shielding the back 4 are usually up the field passing. We look exposed as soon as we give it away. Gillet or Schneiderlin playing well covers that as well as not giving it away as much - though Wotton has held position well when he's been in there.

Was a little bit before my time. Still i wonder how that team would fare today. Obviously most would be sent off before half time, think i would still pay to see that though!

Doubt it actually, you can see similar football on any of the public recreation spaces in and around the city,any old Saturday or Sunday will do.

You have to remember in those days players actually stepped up from Sholing Sports and Thorneycroft Athletic to professional sides.Saints A (third side)

was a mix of local talent, young apprentices from the club and the occasional player coming back from long term injury. Played in the Hampshire League.I don't doubt that there are a few others on this forum who've put in at least one performance for Southampton A. A lot of the tackles that went down as serious crowd pleasers in the 60's would be straight reds nowadays. The one Lancashire got done for was a ballet step compared to hundreds that thrilled the crowd on a Saturday,week in week out. A player would run and launch himself into a furrow ploughing slide that took out everything in it's path, ball,players, cameramen-whatever that came into his path;Sliding tackles of 15 yards were not extraordinary.Kicked up in the air meant exactly that.

Not really too simplistic, Holmes as the outlet ball for Lloyd James was the key all preseason and in the early games, the first game after Holmes got injured James looked terrible because he tried the pass once to Dyer and Dyer didn't keep it in, never mind hold it, get past his man and get in a cross.

After that James didn't know what to do with himself when he had the ball, hence loads of hoofs up the line and panicking which made him look worse than he was - the obvious shoulder/arm injury he picked up was preventing him moving freely as well, but it was the lack of a plan B that hurt us most. Even so we scored twice against Ipswich, mostly due to Pekhart's efforts.

The following game against Barnsley without either James or Holmes we simply didn't know what the system was meant to be and the strikers were all over the place (especially BWP and McG). Defensively we have a huge gap in front of the back 4 every time we lose the ball as the two shielding the back 4 are usually up the field passing. We look exposed as soon as we give it away. Gillet or Schneiderlin playing well covers that as well as not giving it away as much - though Wotton has held position well when he's been in there.

Good assesment IMO.

Gillet has gone a little Awol recently but the rest have been missing due to injury and james is missing those players. I have said that at full strength with the kids we should get enough results to go safe but without them we dont have the players capable of filling in.

Dyer needs a better 1st touch and learn the simple things again, BWP and McGoldrick are no wingers.

Good assesment IMO.

Dyer needs a better 1st touch and learn the simple things again, BWP and McGoldrick are no wingers.

Jan said exactly that on the OS before the Rotherham game, but he hasn't much choice, if he wants wingers he's got to look to McG,Dyer and BWP.

Still don't understand Skacel, don't understand why he signed a new contract, don't think getting loaned out abroad would terminate his old one.It was rumoured that Crouch paid some of his salary out of his own pocket-denied of course, so probably not true. No Crouch=No Skacel. Could be bad blood somewhere as it is reported (on a Marseille site no less) that Skacel insisted on being loaned to Berlin (or a better team than us) in order for his

chance of being selected for Euro 2008 would be bettered. He asked to be loaned out....could be some bad feeling somewhere about that.

Jan said exactly that on the OS before the Rotherham game, but he hasn't much choice, if he wants wingers he's got to look to McG,Dyer and BWP.

Still don't understand Skacel, don't understand why he signed a new contract, don't think getting loaned out abroad would terminate his old one.It was rumoured that Crouch paid some of his salary out of his own pocket-denied of course, so probably not true. No Crouch=No Skacel. Could be bad blood somewhere as it is reported (on a Marseille site no less) that Skacel insisted on being loaned to Berlin (or a better team than us) in order for his

chance of being selected for Euro 2008 would be bettered. He asked to be loaned out....could be some bad feeling somewhere about that.

I dont think we have much choice either although I would drop DMG ahead of anyone right now as I dont think his attitude is right since losing his lone striker role.

I would be happy to play Dyer on the right wing but give him strict instructions to play nothing more than pass inside then run like fook. if he gets to the ball cross it in then track back. I would tattoo it to the inside of his eyelids, Pass, run, cross, back. at least 20% of the time it would end in a cross into the box where John/Peckhart/BWP and the support of Lallana would have a chance of grabbing something.

Scakel on the other flank would be fantastic as he can do the above and also has the skill to beat his man when needed but it doesnt matter if its the club or him that keeps him out of the side. He is not there and thats that.

We are definately missing the width and we do have 1 or 2 players that could provide it.

Could not agree more . Its the players fault now according to JP. But he insists playing this formation . Maybe the players are ****ed off with the olny option of one up front. I am sure that they did not play this system as a youth / reserve team last year. Its utter ******** to suggest they can play this formation. In 10 years time when all the youth / reserve have been playing this way it makes sense to play the same system throught the club. Not just pin your hopes on that they can easily adapt to this new system. Problem is 10 years from now JP will be below his already well established mangerial credentials. 10 years we will be a sunday afternoon team , maybe Jan might get us promoted out of the tyro league but I think that is this clowns level.

So you think that if we went back to playing 4-4-2 and bought players like Jermaine Wright, Darren Powell, Alex Ostlund, Inigo Idiakez, Chris Makin & Youssef Safri we would be heading towards promotion with a packed SMS. I don't think so[/QUOTE]

Neither do I my friend.

I agree .....We would certainly NOT be heading towards Promotion ......... but we would also just as certainly NOT be heading towards Relegation

UNTIL we can string a decent string of results together, and rebuild the already shattered confidence ........ we MUST bring in more "experienced pros " to HELP our young squad

There is basically nothing wrong with the Young Players re potential ability. They have simply ben asked to do TOO MUCH TOO SOON

I, along with many others, do not have to be a Qualified Coach to see that !!!

So you think that if we went back to playing 4-4-2 and bought players like Jermaine Wright, Darren Powell, Alex Ostlund, Inigo Idiakez, Chris Makin & Youssef Safri we would be heading towards promotion with a packed SMS. I don't think so[/QUOTE]

Neither do I my friend.

I agree .....We would certainly NOT be heading towards Promotion ......... but we would also just as certainly NOT be heading towards RelegationUNTIL we can string a decent string of results together, and rebuild the already shattered confidence ........ we MUST bring in more "experienced pros " to HELP our young squad

There is basically nothing wrong with the Young Players re potential ability. They have simply ben asked to do TOO MUCH TOO SOON

I, along with many others, do not have to be a Qualified Coach to see that !!!

as we were well clear if it last year!

Very fair point. Thought our football looked good in preseason and Bham games, with Gillet playing better than I thought he could.

Against Blackpool thought he was one of the main problems -not looking to destroy him but in that pivotal role if he is off form then the team is. That and the absense of Holmes and Schneiderlin have been our big problem.

It is easy to get caught up in debates over ages of players or formations but the issue is having enough good players.

well if you think that no wonder we have our moments StM

As i have said before Lallana is by far and large our hot prospect, the guy has something special about him. In my opinion so does Schneiderlin, sure he hasen't played as well recently but from what i have seen i know he will become a very good player. Holmes is a player who is just average. In the game against Blackpool they had Hammill and he picked us apart for the 1st 20 mins or so before he got crippled. Then we got Dyer and BWP. 2 players who are possibly the most overated players we have seen in many many years. They both have bags of pace but nothing else. This is football not a 100m sprint race. Gillet is another hit and miss player, 1 week he looks great, the next week he looks ****. BUT while i am being harsh on them i don't mean to be because they are young and need time, they have been thrown in at the deep end. Next season they will be better then this season, question is will that be in the ccc or in league 1? If you take both Morgan and Adam out of the team and Davis it looks a very very poor team. Maybe mid table league 1 quality.