Brazil vs The DPRK

JackFrost

as their coach says "we are the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, do not use any other name!"

Those hoping for Brazil to light up the tournament by going into double figures tonight will be disappointed to learn that North Korea (oops) had one of the best defensive records in the world during qualification. The South Koreans only won 1 of the 4 games played against them.

I'm going for a 4-0 win tonight if Brazil turn up. If Brazil play badly it'll be a narrow 1-0.

I can't wait to see how defensive North Korea are, ZonalMarking.net have them playing a back 5 with 2 defensive midfielders (though too short to defend set pieces well), and it'll be interesting to see if Jong Tae-Se gets a kick up front, cos he's pretty decent.

dont know whether they were taking the p1ss but they just said it was the coldest WC match ever?

Gotta be a chance of that being true. Just checked weather app and current temp is +2, predicted to be freezing before end of game

Not that I saw this kind of performance by North Korea, but from the Predictions thread :

• No goalscorer in North Korea v Portugal on June 21

Portugal haven't scored in aeons and can't score, NK are a superbly drilled defensive side... could happen. Shame this is ruining the odds for me, I was hoping for at least 10/1 !

Also, watch the video here if you want to see what Tae Se is capable of (and some awful NK defending) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ65eKjd6ak&feature=player_embedded

And this article on their tactics : http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/05/26/north-korea-a-better-side-than-you-might-expect/

Edited by The9

The Korean crowd are the first I've been able to hear over those fuuuuuuuucking horns.

There aren't any North Korean fans there for obvious reasons.

China have flown in 1000 Chinese people to cheer the North Koreans on. Just before the game started they were all performing this synchronised clapping routine complete with conductor :lol:

Just shows how effective an organised defence can be, regardless of any gulf in class. Considering most of the North Koreans play for teams in the North Korean army, it isn't surprised they are very organised and very disciplined. I only saw them give away what, 1 free kick in the first half?

They have one of the best defensive records in the world during qualifying and it isn't surprising me their defending this well. I still believe Brazil will win it but it's going to take 1 or 2 fairly late goals IMO

DPRK have been impressive so far, they've really stifled Brazil and not let them play by chasing down the ball and pressurising their playmakers. How long that will last for though is up in the air. They do seem a lot fitter than the Brazilians though, they've not stopped running so far whereas Brazil have been fairly static. Still, I can't look past Brazil for the win, reckon they'll snatch it 2-0 with a piledriver from Luis Fabiano and a late goal from a mazy run by Robinho.

Another crap bit of goalkeeping.

Can't blame the keeper for that, he'd have been covering a cross, the ball was running out of play and Maicon just lamped it across, he was lucky as hell it went in.

Nope, a goal for the ball.

I'm not sure what the keeper could have done there.

Nothing to do with the ball either, any football would swerve like that when hit by someone running full tilt at an angle to it.

What an idiot that commentator is.

Anyone could see that was a brilliant strike by Maicon. "That was own goal.. blah, blah, blah.... did he mean it? blah blah blah". Ignorant ****. If he can't tell from Maicon's body position and strike technique in real-time that that was a shot then he isn't qualified to do the job. Moron.

Pretty sure he was hooking that back in, judging by the replay, it swerved off like a bastard.

Yep, he was just lamping it across the box, doing all he could to try and keep it in. Jammy, but they all count.

There is an outside possibilty he meant it, but I'd have to see his eyes on a super-slo-mo.

Pretty sure he was hooking that back in, judging by the replay, it swerved off like a bastard.

Yep, he was just lamping it across the box, doing all he could to try and keep it in. Jammy, but they all count.

I'm sorry but you're both clueless.