Legitimate protest? Errrr....

Saint_Jonny

That still doesn't show that the demo went ahead with the approval of Muslim leaders dune. Nice try though.

Incidentally though, I notice the line in the article you quoted which states "The prime minister told MPs it was down to moderate Muslims to stand up to extremism and tell those with "grievances" against the West they were wrong."...

Are they 'wrong?' we may not agree with their methods of making their point, but to dismiss their grievances as just plain 'wrong' is arrogant and dangerous IMO. Has anybody ever stopped to consider the fact that maybe they have a legitimate complaint?

I repeat, 30 out of how many Muslims in this country?

In my humble opinion, I don't think the numbers involved is particularly relevant.

It only took 0.000002% of British muslims (4 out of 2,000,000) to kill 52 people and bring the capital of the UK to a standstill on 7/7/2005. Was that insignificant?

It's not the absolute number of extremists that matters. It's what they end up doing, surely?

Anyway, I thought all non-Tories were big fans of generalisations....e.g. "All Daily Mail readers are idiots"? ;-)

Yours,

Trousers (Daily Mail Reading Idiot)

That still doesn't show that the demo went ahead with the approval of Muslim leaders dune. Nice try though.

Incidentally though, I notice the line in the article you quoted which states "The prime minister told MPs it was down to moderate Muslims to stand up to extremism and tell those with "grievances" against the West they were wrong."...

Are they 'wrong?' we may not agree with their methods of making their point, but to dismiss their grievances as just plain 'wrong' is arrogant and dangerous IMO. Has anybody ever stopped to consider the fact that maybe they have a legitimate complaint?

But if you extrapolate the 13% figure and suggest that out of circa 2 m population that over 200,000 British Muslims supported the remembrance day protest. You could also argue that the figure is probably higher given that 13% supported the 7/7 murders and that the protest was less extreme.

Have you actually got any evidence for this? Sounds like the alarmist crap you read in tabloids that turns out to be completely untrue.

What, tabloids like The Telegraph for example?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1571187/School-nativity-plays-under-threat.html

Perhaps you had better write to them and tell them they have got it all wrong.

It's not a retort. Just pointing out that saying things like "remove them" is brainless. You seem to accept that. Good for you.

Its ok though, you are better than the majority.

If i was calling for the death of a countries citizens i would expect to be kicked out. Why should anyone in our country be any different.

As for i don't care, i really don't. Give the f*ckers a dingy and a couple of paddles and tell them to leave.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1571187/School-nativity-plays-under-threat.html

So a Telegraph survey of 100 schools which suggests that schools themselves are making their own decisions as to what event they put on is evidence that local authorities are banning nativity plays. OK then, you've swayed me.

Yet another example of Left Wing Marxist types forcing their warped views on others. It's time for the government to get a grip on headteachers and loony left wing beurocrats because their actions, which supress western christian traditions and attitudes, that are the route cause of the growing tensions between cultures and faiths.

"I have never met a single Jew, Muslim, Sikh or Buddhist who has objected to the commemoration and celebration of the birth of Jesus," he said. "In Islam, he is a prophet and his birth is described in the Koran. It is not other religions that are pushing for this at all.

If i was calling for the death of a countries citizens i would expect to be kicked out. Why should anyone in our country be any different.

As for i don't care, i really don't. Give the f*ckers a dingy and a couple of paddles and tell them to leave.

Well that certainly would be an interesting addition to the range of punishments applied to convicted criminals in this country. I fear it would fail however. Armed only with paddles and without navigational aides they would surely just drift back to our shores on the next tide

But if you extrapolate the 13% figure and suggest that out of circa 2 m population that over 200,000 British Muslims supported the remembrance day protest.

How do you know that the 13% of people polled in this survey in July 2006 also supported the remembrance day protest? Again you're making wild assumptions. In fact, how do we know what question these 13% of people were asked? Because that is extremely important IMO. Being asked "Do you believe that the 7/7 bombers have a valid grievance against western foreign policy?" is a world away from being asked "Do you think the 7/7 bombers are heroes who were completely justified in their killing and maiming of innocent civilians?"

How do you know that the 13% of people polled in this survey in July 2006 also supported the remembrance day protest? Again you're making wild assumptions. In fact, how do we know what question these 13% of people were asked? Because that is extremely important IMO. Being asked "Do you believe that the 7/7 bombers have a valid grievance against western foreign policy?" is a world away from being asked "Do you think the 7/7 bombers are heroes who were completely justified in their killing and maiming of innocent civilians?"

If 13% supported the cold blooded mass murder of british people in a british city, I think it's reasonable to conclude that more would've supported a protest against remebering those who have fallen fighting for the crown. Would you not agree?

Also people tend to want to agree with the question - people prefer saying 'yes' to 'no' - so if you want to skew results its easy to build in another bias of around 5% just based on that fact.

If 13% supported the cold blooded mass murder of british people in a british city, I think it's reasonable to conclude that more would've supported a protest against remebering those who have fallen fighting for the crown. Would you not agree?

But as Bexy said polls need to be representative and carefully worded - otherwise you can end up with any result the poller wants. The protest that sparked this thread was by 30 meatheads watched by 50 journalists. No-one seriously thought the student protests were a threat to democracy, and there were thousands of them.

I suppose it was offensive to some but agree it is OTT. Not sure when we became so sensitive in this country or is it only the immigrants that are so sensitive these days? It seems when the boot is on the other foot and Muslims say that we should burn/be killed/go to hell/be stoned/etc etc then that is acceptable. So it is the inconsistency of the law and the prosecution only of WASPs that p**ses me off. We should have one set of standards that all should be judged by.

Unfortunately, our liberal thinking and the development of a fair, free society will eventually turn on itself. Demographics/stats wise we are a crumbling population (White UK) being replaced by muslim, far east and so on. I don’t feel particularly comfortable with the way it seems to be going. If we claim to 'officially' have 10-15m non native in this country, I would double it.

The middle classes are getting taxed up to their necks to support this country. The lower classes have become an under-aspiring underclass (low income jobs have become devalued so much, that a non language speaking person now stands next to you as an equal, I can sympathise as to why you wouldn’t want to do it anymore). The upper classes, with greater resources and mobility, are simply packing up and ****ing off!

I’m refusing to take on any debts or liabilities in the UK, so I can cut my ties if need be. Grab some cash and run so to speak, such a shame. I am not alone in these thoughts and feelings, amongst my peers, comprised mainly of white, degree educated middle classes etc.

Would it be cruel to bring a child into this country? I think it might be (if you’re of my demographic!).

I love this country but find myself thinking about where best to place myself for the future, almost on a daily basis!

All cultures, civilisations and faiths have a 'chequered' past shall we say, if you look back. It's just that most of them have moved on from Medieval times - Islam has not

Christianity is 2000 years old, Islam is about 1300 years old. Where was Christianity in 1300 ? Maybe there is a set timetable in religious evolution, and everybody will ultimately end up where the Hindus are.

Christianity is 2000 years old, Islam is about 1300 years old. Where was Christianity in 1300 ? Maybe there is a set timetable in religious evolution, and everybody will ultimately end up where the Hindus are.

Or maybe it's all just a load of bollix designed to control the feeble-minded, and make them believe that some supernatural being controls everything that's ever been, or ever will be in the world. And that this in turn justifies anything that extremists (from all religions) do, even if that includes killing any 'non-believers'.

But that's a discussion for another time:)

"Kicked out" - wtf are you talking about?

Unfortunately, our liberal thinking and the development of a fair, free society will eventually turn on itself. Demographics/stats wise we are a crumbling population (White UK) being replaced by muslim, far east and so on. I don’t feel particularly comfortable with the way it seems to be going. If we claim to 'officially' have 10-15m non native in this country, I would double it.

The middle classes are getting taxed up to their necks to support this country. The lower classes have become an under-aspiring underclass (low income jobs have become devalued so much, that a non language speaking person now stands next to you as an equal, I can sympathise as to why you wouldn’t want to do it anymore). The upper classes, with greater resources and mobility, are simply packing up and ****ing off!

I’m refusing to take on any debts or liabilities in the UK, so I can cut my ties if need be. Grab some cash and run so to speak, such a shame. I am not alone in these thoughts and feelings, amongst my peers, comprised mainly of white, degree educated middle classes etc.

Would it be cruel to bring a child into this country? I think it might be (if you’re of my demographic!).

I love this country but find myself thinking about where best to place myself for the future, almost on a daily basis!

I agree entirely with this, i just didn't have the time to put it so eloquentely.

So a Telegraph survey of 100 schools which suggests that schools themselves are making their own decisions as to what event they put on is evidence that local authorities are banning nativity plays. OK then, you've swayed me.

You suggested that this was a scare story perpetrated by the tabloids and probably untrue. I provided up to date evidence from a broadsheet that substantiated my point, so I'm glad that I've swayed you.

But where you cast doubt on this survey is by the inference that it is the schools who are making these decisions, where it also states that the majority of parents would be quite happy with a Nativity play. Of course, the reality is that the decisions taken by the schools is heavily influenced by the local authorities, particularly the left-leaning ones. What would be most refreshing would be a situation where the parents are able to vote on whether there should be a Nativity play or not and then they could raise two fingers vertical to the leftie bureacrats who are paid by their taxes to act as public servants, not Gauleiters

You suggested that this was a scare story perpetrated by the tabloids and probably untrue. I provided up to date evidence from a broadsheet that substantiated my point, so I'm glad that I've swayed you.

But where you cast doubt on this survey is by the inference that it is the schools who are making these decisions, where it also states that the majority of parents would be quite happy with a Nativity play. Of course, the reality is that the decisions taken by the schools is heavily influenced by the local authorities, particularly the left-leaning ones. What would be most refreshing would be a situation where the parents are able to vote on whether there should be a Nativity play or not and then they could raise two fingers vertical to the leftie bureacrats who are paid by their taxes to act as public servants, not Gauleiters

Isn't that why we have local elections every four or five years ? Councillors are completely accountable to their constituents, and if you don't approve you should exercise your mandate.

You really think there are 20-30m "non-natives" in the UK? What do you mean by "non-native"? sounds a bit Nick Griffin to me.

not want to do what exactly? The upper classes certainly aren't upping sticks, they might be dodging tax but they aren't leaving.

well that's certainly patriotic! I think I can basically summarise your post as "we're all doomed". Wherever you go at whatever point in history you can always find a doom merchant convinced the country is 'going to the dogs' and it was all so much better x years ago. yawn.

you said that local authorities had banned nativities. Still waiting for some evidence.

Whilst I disagree with what they are doing, this comment is pretty ignorant. Plenty of those Muslims are at home.

Again, I disagree with their protest, but this is complete b*llocks only believed by thick people and perpetuated by tabloids. They have exactly the same rights as you or I.

I am not thick and I don't read the tabloids - great response by you though!!

Can you truly believe that a bunch of white skinheads chanting anti muslim words and burning a significant symbol of sacrifice would be allowed to carry on?

I don't.

Free speech should not be used as an excuse to insult past and present British citizens that have made the ultimate sacrifice.

So ******** to you too Dicky.

The most common name in this country is Mohammed, so quite a lot.

That said, i am not tarnishing every Muslin with the same brush, i don't care who they are or what religion, if you try to incite hatred, completely disrespect our ways and beliefs or even worse call for the death of other british citizens then they should be forcibly removed.

No it isn't. The most common name given to children last year was Oliver. The most common name in the country is most probably John. So, a case of getting your facts wrong, as usual.

Oh, and I should hope you're not tarnishing a cotton material with a brush.

No it isn't. The most common name given to children last year was Oliver. The most common name in the country is most probably John. So, a case of getting your facts wrong, as usual.

Oh, and I should hope you're not tarnishing a cotton material with a brush.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324194/Mohammed-popular-baby-boys-ahead-Jack-Harry.html

But then, nothing like checking the facts.

I knew you'd do that. Yep, the Daily Mail, along with several other right wing papers (such as the Daily Tory and the Torygraph) reported the same thing. They're misrepresenting the facts. Note that they mention 12 variants of Mohammed. Well, it transpires that there are 9 variants of Oliver - Oli, Ollie, Olly and a load of others. When you do exactly what the Mail did but with Oliver variants, you end up with Oliver (and variants) being several thousand ahead of Mohammed and variants.

Nothing like facts, are there?

But that in itself is slightly disingenuous reporting, because they have grouped all the variations of Mohammed together, yet kept Charlie & Charles separate, which would together put them third. Similarly, Jacob & Jake when combined come 4th. Nothing like a little bit of twisting statistics to prove a point.

It's in the Daily Mail so the Commies won't believe it.

Not that I'm a commie, but I actually do believe some things the Daily Heil prints. For instance on today's front page it clearly states that today is Friday 12th November 2010, with which I wholeheartedly concur.

I knew you'd do that. Yep, the Daily Mail, along with several other right wing papers (such as the Daily Tory and the Torygraph) reported the same thing. They're misrepresenting the facts. Note that they mention 12 variants of Mohammed. Well, it transpires that there are 9 variants of Oliver - Oli, Ollie, Olly and a load of others. When you do exactly what the Mail did but with Oliver variants, you end up with Oliver (and variants) being several thousand ahead of Mohammed and variants.

Nothing like facts, are there?

The other point here, of course, is that Mohammed (or other variant thereof) is an extremely popular name amongst Islamic families due to the religious connotations, and the percentage of children born to Muslim families being named Mohammed is probably a damn sight higher than the percentage of caucasian children being called Oliver.

All this tells me is that Muslim families are less imaginative when it comes to naming their children.

WTF are you talking about? Yes, i stopped for about a tenth of a millisecond to see if there was any validity in what they did and the way they did it before i decided, no, they are still ****s. They burned a poppy, the symbol of remembrance for all those that have given their lives in the defence of this country and they shouted out that all British soldiers should burn in hell. By inference, are you trying to provide a justification? Maybe you would like explain that here, provide some evidence that to justify any "legitimate complaint"?

The other point here, of course, is that Mohammed (or other variant thereof) is an extremely popular name amongst Islamic families due to the religious connotations, and the percentage of children born to Muslim families being named Mohammed is probably a damn sight higher than the percentage of caucasian children being called Oliver.

All this tells me is that Muslim families are less imaginative when it comes to naming their children.

Yeah, those nasty Muslims with their lack of imagination. They're as bad as the Spanish who insist on calling their kids Jesus. For that alone they should bugger off back to - oh, they're nearly all British, so that'd be Britain then. Still, we're getting in the way of a good ol' rabble raising scare story here with our pesky correct interpretation of statistics.

I'm quite happy with this country being full of muslims - as long as they don't disrespect what we stand for or force their religious beliefs upon us. 99% of them do this 100% and its disgusting how they all get tarnished with the same brush. For the other 1% this country needs to get itself into gear and sort things out and start standing up for what few morals this country still has left. Look at what France has done - I'd be happy with that. If I went to Islam I would expect to somewhat adjust to their way of life, however a lot of them come here - take all the benefits and still force us to do everything else they want and for PC's sake we do it. My mum works for social services and she says its quite amazing how many people she deals with who have literally just got off the plane and what they expect this country to do for them.

The poppy is just a bit of paper and plastic - but by them burning it, it shows they have no respect for this country - so little respect that I can't understand why they want to live here. Yet they can do this, and continue to reap the benefits.

In the words of Voltaire 'I detest what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it'. I hate what they did and I hate their views. However, we live in a country where free speech is at the centre of our society. It would be hypocritical of us to silence them when we lecture other countries about the freedoms they offer their people. Personally, I think it's very dumb of them to chose to live here when they hate the western world so much. But they can do what they did just I can if I wanted to burn a Qu'ran(not that I would).

I think what we shouldn't do after this though is get carried away and start pretending all Muslims are like this. Every religion harbours nuts, christianity not excluded. For example, when I was in Oxford the other day I was approached on the street by a not very sane and really rather rude christian preacher who tried to convert me. As a comparison, the Muslim preacher who approached us was very polite and why obviously I have no interest in either religion it just showed the point that all religions harbour nuts, not just Islam. The majority of Muslims are absolutely normal people, and we should not let the few represent the many.

I think the best solution is simply to press our ignore buttons as these people thrive on publicity.

Yeah, those nasty Muslims with their lack of imagination. They're as bad as the Spanish who insist on calling their kids Jesus. For that alone they should bugger off back to - oh, they're nearly all British, so that'd be Britain then. Still, we're getting in the way of a good ol' rabble raising scare story here with our pesky correct interpretation of statistics.

yep the angry daily mail haters haveing another moan day again, i work with 4 guys at work who read that rag, they are the most small minded negative people i have ever met ,angry and even back stab their own friends every chance they get.

must be something about their readership profile i suppose:lol:

You really think there are 20-30m "non-natives" in the UK? What do you mean by "non-native"? sounds a bit Nick Griffin to me.

not want to do what exactly? The upper classes certainly aren't upping sticks, they might be dodging tax but they aren't leaving.

well that's certainly patriotic! I think I can basically summarise your post as "we're all doomed". Wherever you go at whatever point in history you can always find a doom merchant convinced the country is 'going to the dogs' and it was all so much better x years ago. yawn.

Non-natives: Not-white-english-born-persons. Sorry, bit simplistic I know, how else do you say it? Not sure on Griffin terminology, and yes, if the official stat says there are 10m, I would say much nearer to 20m. Its only one example, but I used to work in a pizza shop as a teen, there were 2x legit immigrants from Iraq (owned by an Indian family, they used to get people off boat in Hayling etc!), and at least 15x illegals living above the shop, working too, completely unregistered of course! In the same instance, if you told me there was 60m in total, I would say 70-75. I have no idea really, just my perception.

Not want to do what? For example, 'Jim' who worked in the petrol station, 'Wendy' the cleaner, 'Tracy' the train conductor, 'Bob' the builder, the guys that wash cars, porters etc etc and so on.

Im saying that if you had a minimum wage working environment, where you felt comfortable with your collegues and you were happy to get on with it even though its not how you really wanted life to work out, you are content to have some idendtity and can be proud to be working. A couple of years later and youre the last of your bunch of collegues, all have been replaced with cheaper workers from abroad, who dont speak your language, know you, like you, or have any connection to you. Im suggesting that the 'native' employee will feel diminished in their role and disenfranchised with the society that created such an unwanted change in their life. Im suggesting you may feel you have lost the identity you had and the pride been sucked out...

I dont know, how would you feel?

Upper classes, leaving like theres no tomorrow! Sure, they will still retain capital and assets in the UK whilst they are safe, but income (and tax) are going straight out of the UK back door! £600k cash will earn you a warm welcome in Oz. Most savvy high earners are off to Switz at present.

Im obsenely patriotic thank you very much! Maybe that helps you put into perspective just how I feel about the future, and why I share my concerns with you.

Regarding the 'were all doomed'. If I am correct in my assertations, then I am not doomed, it would appear that you are though!

I used to live in Southsea too, you are in a predominately white, male, racist, beer drinking, wife beating city. Once you get away from it, maybe spend a year in London, oversee the collapse of a couple of suburban communities, you may start to come round to my 'its going to the dogs' mindset.

Why are you being so aggressive in questioning so many people posts? To me, it highlights the growing divisions we are witnessing. I believe multiculturalism has simply caused more isolated, paranoid societies which are, by choice, failing to integrate with one another.

btw... they dont like you!

In the words of Voltaire 'I detest what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it'. I hate what they did and I hate their views. However, we live in a country where free speech is at the centre of our society. It would be hypocritical of us to silence them when we lecture other countries about the freedoms they offer their people. Personally, I think it's very dumb of them to chose to live here when they hate the western world so much. But they can do what they did just I can if I wanted to burn a Qu'ran(not that I would).

I think what we shouldn't do after this though is get carried away and start pretending all Muslims are like this. Every religion harbours nuts, christianity not excluded. For example, when I was in Oxford the other day I was approached on the street by a not very sane and really rather rude christian preacher who tried to convert me. As a comparison, the Muslim preacher who approached us was very polite and why obviously I have no interest in either religion it just showed the point that all religions harbour nuts, not just Islam. The majority of Muslims are absolutely normal people, and we should not let the few represent the many.

I think the best solution is simply to press our ignore buttons as these people thrive on publicity.

good post

Hang on a sec mate. Please don't mistake me for one of the reactionaries who wants to "kick 'em all out". Read my posting history and you will realise that my position is diametrically opposed to that. It was Smirking_Saint who put forward the fact that Mohammed is now the most common boys name in Britain, as if that were a really bad thing. I was merely trying to put it into context a little bit. I can't find any statistics to back this up, but my bet is that for every child born to a Muslim family, the percentage of them being named Mohammed is much, much higher than the percentage of non-Muslim kids being called Oliver, or John, or Jake, or Charlie etc...

I'm not using this as a stick to beat Muslims with; I'm just trying to show that the DM report about the amount of kids being called Mohammed is not as 'bad' as they and other people, like Smirking_Saint, are trying to portray it.

Non-natives: Not-white-english-born-persons. Sorry, bit simplistic I know, how else do you say it? Not sure on Griffin terminology, and yes, if the official stat says there are 10m, I would say much nearer to 20m. Its only one example, but I used to work in a pizza shop as a teen, there were 2x legit immigrants from Iraq (owned by an Indian family, they used to get people off boat in Hayling etc!), and at least 15x illegals living above the shop, working too, completely unregistered of course! In the same instance, if you told me there was 60m in total, I would say 70-75. I have no idea really, just my perception.

Not want to do what? For example, 'Jim' who worked in the petrol station, 'Wendy' the cleaner, 'Tracy' the train conductor, 'Bob' the builder, the guys that wash cars, porters etc etc and so on.

Im saying that if you had a minimum wage working environment, where you felt comfortable with your collegues and you were happy to get on with it even though its not how you really wanted life to work out, you are content to have some idendtity and can be proud to be working. A couple of years later and youre the last of your bunch of collegues, all have been replaced with cheaper workers from abroad, who dont speak your language, know you, like you, or have any connection to you. Im suggesting that the 'native' employee will feel diminished in their role and disenfranchised with the society that created such an unwanted change in their life. Im suggesting you may feel you have lost the identity you had and the pride been sucked out...

Upper classes, leaving like theres no tomorrow! Sure, they will still retain capital and assets in the UK whilst they are safe, but income (and tax) are going straight out of the UK back door! £600k cash will earn you a warm welcome in Oz. Most savvy high earners are off to Switz at present.

Im obsenely patriotic thank you very much! Maybe that helps you put into perspective just how I feel about the future, and why I share my concerns with you.

Regarding the 'were all doomed'. If I am correct in my assertations, then I am not doomed, it would appear that you are though!

I used to live in Southsea too, you are in a predominately white, male, racist, beer drinking, wife beating city. Once you get away from it, maybe spend a year in London, oversee the collapse of a couple of suburban communities, you may start to come round to my 'its going to the dogs' mindset.

Why are you being so aggressive in questioning so many people posts? To me, it highlights the growing divisions we are witnessing. I believe multiculturalism has simply caused more isolated, paranoid societies which are, by choice, failing to integrate with one another.

good post

Top post