Snow (again)

SuperMikey

• 2 weeks later...

took us five hours to get to Deal last night. I was starting to get worried when we heard that we'd just got through the M3 before they closed it then came up against stationary traffic on the M2. mrs h (bless) suggested we take an alternative route!

Light dusting here atm but temp -7 and I have to get to Chatham later; what should one carry in one's car in these conditions?

I have:

a blanket

tin of mint imperials

one last packet of Hula-Hoops

mrs h

by some twist of fate I also still have 2 toboggans in the boot

Fair play to some people for getting on with things

I have seen the paperboys out delivering

My new dishwashers turned up

and Ocado is on the way

perhaps we are getting used to coping with the snow

possibly there seems to be a startling difference between some of the couriers in recent days on how long things are taking to be delivered for example. Parcelforce and TNT seem to be business as normal barring one or two days whereas others like the Royal Mail are horrendously slow. I sent a first class letter and it took 4 days to arrive, a company sent me something via RM and it took 10 days. Whereas at work we're sending things out by parcelforce regularly over the last few weeks and they been getting there next day no problem.

You've just gotta hear some of the nonces on BBC news 24, wailing about how it's so unfair the snow has disrupted their holiday and how EVERY year we get a small flurry this chaos ALWAYS happens and how other countries like Finland and Sweden can manage but we can't and it's disgraceful. and they've EVEN had to pay for their own hotels even though their stuck at an airport. Seriously what world do some people live in?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/

Cheaper prices generally and if the item's come under a delivery charge (many don't), you probably would have spent more on petrol & parking.

They may be cheaper, but you get better service and from a retailer AND you don't have the concern about it not being delivered by purchasing in person.

They are also the arch rivals of the company i'm investing in so I may be a tad biased against them.

They may be cheaper, but you get better service and from a retailer AND you don't have the concern about it not being delivered by purchasing in person.

They are also the arch rivals of the company i'm investing in so I may be a tad biased against them.

Every order I have ever placed with Amazon has turned up before it's expected date. Every time I have had a problem, it has been sorted. I no longer need to partake in the chicken race that is Crimbo Shopping on the High Street. I just go along for the German Market and watch everyone go by stressed to max. :smug:

Hopefully the retail industry will be at an end soon. Shops over charge, service is generally poor, misleading cut price deals that rip the public off. Internet shopping is the way.
Lol, and then watch the prices soar once the high street is gone. You wont be able to view the items except by a photo. Lots more internet scams and the poor naive fools will lose more money as they try to save a few quid.

Just a minor point, Heathrow is a war zone and chaos. I rebooked via Birmingham to get home. Amaziung they have the same snow, was -10 last night and yet all is calmness and peaceful here (nightmare drive up from London yesterday not included) and the flights are running and have seats.

Emirates have bused people up from Heathrow, and the airport has plenty of capacity. Seems nuts BA cant get some planes into here and use buses.

But then my lad is stuck in Frankfurt & been trying to get on FlyBe since Friday

Ho hum

Merry Xmas one and all stuck here in the cold I've had enough & am ******* off home

Just a minor point, Heathrow is a war zone and chaos. I rebooked via Birmingham to get home. Amaziung they have the same snow, was -10 last night and yet all is calmness and peaceful here (nightmare drive up from London yesterday not included) and the flights are running and have seats.

Emirates have bused people up from Heathrow, and the airport has plenty of capacity. Seems nuts BA cant get some planes into here and use buses.

But then my lad is stuck in Frankfurt & been trying to get on FlyBe since Friday

Ho hum

Merry Xmas one and all stuck here in the cold I've had enough & am ******* off home

Glad to be of service!

I was meant to do that punchline. You're no Ernie Wise.

Correct. I am neither short nor do I wear a toupee (sic)...

Still at least I got out, unlike so many poor sods at Heathrow. How come Gatwick got working? How come Brum with as much snow got working and yet Heathrow....

The stupid thing was that flights were leaving Brum with empty seats and yet I was listening to radio in London about people trying to get home to Ireland or Europe for Xmas marooned at LHR. The airlines offered refunds, couldn't have been THAT hard to take a train or a rental car up to Brum if you were THAT desperate to get home.

But I also know it doesn't help many holiday makers and transit passengers..

Oh and LHR is not the only refugee camp. Dubai Airport is full of stuck transit passengers sleeping on the floor, hotel rooms here are all full with the stuck as well.