Snow (again)

SuperMikey

SuperMikey, (possibly the most egotistical user name on here but hey ho) why aren't you in London smashing up police vans and throwing Fire extinguishers off of roof tops?

I went to the regional protest in Southampton instead, when the first protest happened I had to do some training for my new job so I couldn't go.

I was going on the assumption that Mikey knew it wouldn't affect him and therefore wouldn't waste his time in a pointless protest.

It doesn't affect me, but it will affect thousands of others (including my brother), so i'm definitely campaigning against it!

Edited by SuperMikey

I went to the regional protest in Southampton instead, when the first protest happened I had to do some training for my new job so I couldn't go.

It doesn't affect me, but it will affect thousands of others (including my brother), so i'm definitely campaigning for it!

1. It seems odd that you would go on a protest march against something you are campaigning for.

2. Do you hate your brother so much that you're happy to campaign for something that is likely to cost him money?

It doesn't affect me, but it will affect thousands of others (including my brother), so i'm definitely campaigning against it!

Campaigning for what ?? Allowing your brother to use my hard earned tax money to spend on a media studies no mark degree ??

(and i speak as a graduate BTW)

Campaigning for what ?? Allowing your brother to use my hard earned tax money to spend on a media studies no mark degree ??

(and i speak as a graduate BTW)

The amount of students I see out on the town 'till all hours, most nights of the weeks, would suggest, that they have too much money.

A question for all students, why should the tax payer pay for two years of social mayhem. Most of you only attend 5/6 lectures a week, then should you go on and qualify for something good, like doctor dentist lawyer vet etc, you commence to totally rip of the very people, whose taxes made you what you are. So forgive me if I say 'well done Mr Cameron'.

The amount of students I see out on the town 'till all hours, most nights of the weeks, would suggest, that they have too much money.

A question for all students, why should the tax payer pay for two years of social mayhem. Most of you only attend 5/6 lectures a week, then should you go on and qualify for something good, like doctor dentist lawyer vet etc, you commence to totally rip of the very people, whose taxes made you what you are. So forgive me if I say 'well done Mr Cameron'.

This.

I was horrified when I saw my 15 year old brother on South Today on Wednesday, protesting up Soton

uni. I havn't stopped abusing him since. Every night in town

Is full of students and every gig I attend is full of students (many regular faces thy seem to be able to afford 7 gigs a week). I earn my money, yet could only dream of going out on the juice every night of the week and seeing every band/artist that come within 20 miles of me. How do they manage it? Us.

Well done Cameron. Higher fees will mean that only those that our serious will attend. Instead of the 97% of wasters that currently brand themselves our "future".

EDIT: WHY THE F*** IS THIS ON THE 'SNOW' THREAD?

Quite weird that people are criticising students for going out, I see people who I KNOW are on the dole out in Basingstoke almost every week and they barely have any money as it is. Just because you're 'out' doesn't mean you're spending sh!tloads of money by doing it. A lot of people will pay £3 to get into a club and not drink because they can't afford it, or purposely target the cheapest places in town and sacrifice a good and alcohol-free night for a worse-but-i've-had-a-few-drinks night.

Bit sick of all of the sweeping generalisations about students though, people saying "oh, you only go to 6 lectures a week" and the like. You don't realise that it's not all about lectures. I have a f*ckload of coursework to be doing (6500 words by Tuesday to be exact, i'm about 1500 in at the moment) on top of all my lectures (minimum 9 hours a week, with seminars for all of my modules every other week, taking it up to 13) as well as revision for the exams we have coming up in January. In my flat I have 2 medical students and 1 nurse, who are out of the flat every day before 8am and back at 6pm because they're at the hospital all day. 2 more of my flatmates are doing electrical engineering, and spend almost every hour of their waking lives poring over physics and maths textbooks. People don't realise that we DO work hard, and we're paying a lot of money for it as well (£3500 a year tuition and £4500 a year accommodation for me atm, on a 3 year course). Just because we go out every once in a while doesn't mean that we're wasting your precious tax money, you're paying for the next generation of doctors, lawyers and teachers with it.

Quite weird that people are criticising students for going out, I see people who I KNOW are on the dole out in Basingstoke almost every week and they barely have any money as it is. Just because you're 'out' doesn't mean you're spending sh!tloads of money by doing it. A lot of people will pay £3 to get into a club and not drink because they can't afford it, or purposely target the cheapest places in town and sacrifice a good and alcohol-free night for a worse-but-i've-had-a-few-drinks night.

Bit sick of all of the sweeping generalisations about students though, people saying "oh, you only go to 6 lectures a week" and the like. You don't realise that it's not all about lectures. I have a f*ckload of coursework to be doing (6500 words by Tuesday to be exact, i'm about 1500 in at the moment) on top of all my lectures (minimum 9 hours a week, with seminars for all of my modules every other week, taking it up to 13) as well as revision for the exams we have coming up in January. In my flat I have 2 medical students and 1 nurse, who are out of the flat every day before 8am and back at 6pm because they're at the hospital all day. 2 more of my flatmates are doing electrical engineering, and spend almost every hour of their waking lives poring over physics and maths textbooks. People don't realise that we DO work hard, and we're paying a lot of money for it as well (£3500 a year tuition and £4500 a year accommodation for me atm, on a 3 year course). Just because we go out every once in a while doesn't mean that we're wasting your precious tax money, you're paying for the next generation of doctors, lawyers and teachers with it.

LOL I'd happily swap that for a 42.5 hour working week, every week anytime.

Edited by JackFrost

I have done the exact same degree, and i know just how f*cking hard it is, and it is, really hard. However now that i have done it i earn a very very good wage and one that i probably wouldn't have achieved, especially at my age ! I have a good job, with good prospects, good benefits and a good wage. I understand the whole we are paying for the next generation etc but IMO the government should be investing in only these people by teaming up with the companies/industries that require them.

For instance, say an electrical firm needed new engineers, they could pay half and the government pay half, this ensures our money goes to the staff that we NEED and not just journalism, fashion, media studies which i would argue 80% of the time do not achieve a job nor contribute anything towards the economy (in regards to their degree). We have a massive debt as a country and saving the cash that is p*ssed up the wall most nights would be a good start.

As for the lectures, essays etc. It is hard work, but it should be worth it in the end and TBF i would trade the job i am doing now which is stressful when things are going well and i often find myself working at least an extra hour a day for the essays, coursework and revision which lets face it, doesn't take all that long when you sit down and devote time to it.

Yes, but a 42.5 working week which you would be paid for, not one that YOU have to pay for.

I was talking about the workload that you were referring to, the 6500 essay on top of the average 11 hour week you do in seminars/lectures. Triple the length of the lectures/seminars and it might start to get reasonable. Given that I'd work your busiest seminar/lecture weeks in 1 and a half days I'd have plenty of time to do 6500 word essays in the rest of the week.

As for pay, you get loans and grants covering that, the loans you don't have to pay back until your earning a certain amount.

I have done the exact same degree, and i know just how f*cking hard it is, and it is, really hard. However now that i have done it i earn a very very good wage and one that i probably wouldn't have achieved, especially at my age ! I have a good job, with good prospects, good benefits and a good wage. I understand the whole we are paying for the next generation etc but IMO the government should be investing in only these people by teaming up with the companies/industries that require them.

For instance, say an electrical firm needed new engineers, they could pay half and the government pay half, this ensures our money goes to the staff that we NEED and not just journalism, fashion, media studies which i would argue 80% of the time do not achieve a job nor contribute anything towards the economy (in regards to their degree). We have a massive debt as a country and saving the cash that is p*ssed up the wall most nights would be a good start.

As for the lectures, essays etc. It is hard work, but it should be worth it in the end and TBF i would trade the job i am doing now which is stressful when things are going well and i often find myself working at least an extra hour a day for the essays, coursework and revision which lets face it, doesn't take all that long when you sit down and devote time to it.

Completely agree, I don't think it's fair that the bill should be lumped on us as students. The Government obviously can't afford to pay for every student, but the industries and companies are the ones who are employing the graduates, so they should take an interest in putting those who deserve to through the higher education system so they can reap the benefits of employing them.

We think we've got it hard at uni because we're basically still kids. People should think back to when they were 18 and 19, and how they reacted to their workload, whether it was at work or in education.

Students have been sponsored through higher education for years. The trouble is identifying a student who will be worthwhile investing in and not someone who will just take the money, toss it off for 3 years (assuming no flunking) and come out the other end a fatter, booze soaked, more jaded version of the nipper who went in. However, I do agree that there needs to be more cohesion between government and the private/public sector when it comes to sponsoring students and the availability of courses that will actually benefit the economy in the long term.

I was fortunate to go through Uni in the early 90's and i thought i was hard done by when i came out with £400 overdraft and student loans totalling £1,100!! And i guess all students work just as hard as they have ever done, which i found to be quite sporadic where some weeks were full on and some were pretty easy, but you are right, it is all worth it in the end.

Well said. I am a great believer in apprenticeships which I think are far more appropriate for many of today's school-leavers. To make you all jealous, I took my engineering degree in the late 1960s and my grant was £400 a year for three eight-week terms. On top of that I had £100 a year from the Plessey Co. as a student sponsorship. Nobody graduated with debts in those days, although I have paid a lot back in higher taxes.

No snow yet in Chandlers Ford.

This.

I was horrified when I saw my 15 year old brother on South Today on Wednesday, protesting up Soton

uni. I havn't stopped abusing him since. Every night in town

Is full of students and every gig I attend is full of students (many regular faces thy seem to be able to afford 7 gigs a week). I earn my money, yet could only dream of going out on the juice every night of the week and seeing every band/artist that come within 20 miles of me. How do they manage it? Us.

Well done Cameron. Higher fees will mean that only those that our serious will attend. Instead of the 97% of wasters that currently brand themselves our "future".

EDIT: WHY THE F*** IS THIS ON THE 'SNOW' THREAD?

I'm a student but I also have two jobs ...

we've had shedloads here in Sheffield over the last two nights. I worked from home today - the snow is so deep in our garden it comes up over my knees.

The cat refuses to go out his catflap and instead decided to relieve himself all over the bathroom rug!

Quite so - I'm a bit further north than you and it's like Siberia on a bad day. Those living in t'south have no idea what real weather is.

Thats the weather warning i recieved, and its not going to let up before the weekend.

I for one hope it doesn't snow, and if it does i hope i can get to work.

The latest BBC weather updates are implying it's not going to snow in most areas on Friday and the temperature will be above freezing. They were even projecting temperatures of up to 8 centigrade on Saturday round here

Yes. we definately do. Really cannot understand that stupidity with not using winter tyres during the winter!!!!!!!!!!

I do! Make a huge difference. My Swedish ex had to bully me into it first time, but converted now. I think the problem is most people in Britain dont know that they have summer tyres - they assume they are all season. Most people also think (wrongly) that winter tyres are only for snow and ice and the UK doesnt have enough to make it worthwhile.

I do! Make a huge difference. My Swedish ex had to bully me into it first time, but converted now. I think the problem is most people in Britain dont know that they have summer tyres - they assume they are all season. Most people also think (wrongly) that winter tyres are only for snow and ice and the UK doesnt have enough to make it worthwhile.

Was discussing with some Finns and Swedes about this and they are really laughing at brits!!!!!

BTW, is it possible for drivers in UK to change their tyres, of course if there are some smart ones who has 2 tyre types? are there any limitations from the state regulators?

Was discussing with some Finns and Swedes about this and they are really laughing at brits!!!!!

BTW, is it possible for drivers in UK to change their tyres, of course if there are some smart ones who has 2 tyre types? are there any limitations from the state regulators?

No, the limitations are the usual ones I think. Interesting this afternoon to watch a learner driver, with instructor sat next to him, glide effortlessly into a lamppost. I don't suppose they do that in Europe either - crowd the snow-covered roads with people who can't really drive in normal conditions.

There is no legal requirement to change to winter tyres, and all new cars come equipped with summer tyres - so people just tend to replace with like for like when their tyre wear out. Most places like National Tyres and Kwik Fit stare at you blankly if you ask for winter tyres. I get mine from here. http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=5068049.110.5971&Cookie=froogle&s_p=Tyres

No, the limitations are the usual ones I think. Interesting this afternoon to watch a learner driver, with instructor sat next to him, glide effortlessly into a lamppost. I don't suppose they do that in Europe either - crowd the snow-covered roads with people who can't really drive in normal conditions.

I started learning to drive in January this year when there was plenty of snow on the roads with ice or black ice. was sliding few times, but now I am driving like hell during this winter. no probs for me. driving in severe conditions is a fantastic experience for the future.

so i would say, that that young driver had a great opportunity for a proper winter driving experience. of, course if you change to proper winter tyres, as we are obliged to have on our vehicles from November till March.