Micheal Wilde in speaking shocker.

saint lard

Would it be missplaced to suggest that the cost cutting measures wouldn't be neccesary had he never showed up in the first place?

Well they would have been of course but they would have been made very much earlier and their effects would have probably been less dramatic. Rupert would have sacked Burley for one thing.

However, Wilde, who is prevented from discussing certain specifics by PLC rules, believes the cost cutting measures that have been put in place since he and Rupert Lowe returned to the club have put them in a position to ride out the storm – so long as they continue to meet their agreed targets.

The certain targets being our overpaid mercenary's ?

Be interesting to know how much they would expect to get(if any) as a sell on for them.

Or is it our gate targets that he is refering to ?

However, Wilde, who is prevented from discussing certain specifics by PLC rules, believes the cost cutting measures that have been put in place since he and Rupert Lowe returned to the club have put them in a position to ride out the storm – so long as they continue to meet their agreed targets.

The certain targets being our overpaid mercenary's ?

Be interesting to know how much they would expect to get(if any) as a sell on for them.

Or is it our gate targets that he is refering to ?

he's probably referring to cost reduction targets, overdraft reduction etc.

I would think (and I'm no expert) that the target was about 30% reduction in "cost of sales" and about the same on overdraft. It's probably a 3 year plan with objective to be in the black and no overdraft in 3 years.

There are three ways that those targets might be met. The first is by cutting costs. The second is by increasing revenue. The third is a mix of the other two.

But as his remarks coincide with the story that Saints have seen the biggest drop of attendance figures in English football apart from lowly Morecombe, then it is clear that increasing revenue is not going to be an option, especially as the product is overpriced and no concessions have been made to encourage higher attendances.

Well they would have been of course but they would have been made very much earlier and their effects would have probably been less dramatic. Rupert would have sacked Burley for one thing.

I don't agree. Lowe might have gone though plenty of managers back didn't sack many. He might well have lent of him a little to play some of the youngsters though and I would imagine the spending would have been curbed.

Rupert employed Burley.

Yes but he would have sacked him(in a parallel situation) after we lost to

QPR at home.However the players wouldn't have been the same,nor the expense of acquiring them so it is a completely hypothetical argument.

If we had different (and less costly players) perhaps we might even have got promoted,or relegated.

Burley would have remained as "head coach" and not been made "manager".

Lowe said that Wilde + crouch were "handling Burley wrongly".

WT I think you hit it on the head. Saints say reducing prices will increase burden not help.

Short sighted twaddle. They have a disorientated crowd paying over the odds for a sub standard product. They show no inclination for respecting us and cry because lots have stopped going. Boo Hoo.

Wake up before it's too late. We want to support our team and even a nominal reduction in prices could bring some back.I have said before we are not a big name anymore. We should start acting more loke Tesco's and less like Large department stores. There are a lot of ways to operate price reductions and one is "buy one get one free"."Buy 2 get one free" Personally I would go for the 2nd option or one similar because it gives the club the money up front. It also gives the team longer to show what they can do

Wake up Southampton before we are dead and buried. Do something. Show us that you care.

But they are not reducing there debt, they are increasing it and that suggests the bank will be asking them to find ways to get back on track.

It will not come from increased revenue in sales of tickets or merchandise. It will have to come from player sales. More misery to come in the transfer window I am afraid.

I think Wilde has missed the point, in that, the credit crunch is effecting 'everybody' not just business', but also the man on the street, even the streets of Southampton. And so, whilst the club have been tightening their belt, the man on the street has been tightening his. Therefore, wouldn't it be prudent to lower prices that will allow the average punter to go to games?

(yes, I know I wouldn't go anyway, but I'm sure that many more would for £15 or the equivalent offer)

Well given the performance of Merlion these past few years i think we should rejoice, and look foward with optimism, in the knowledge we have a man with such honesty an integrity and with his hand firmly on the tiller.

And don't forget the irony of being lectured on financial prudence and the credit crunch by a man who is a tax exile. He has a nerve I'll say that.

And don't forget the irony of being lectured on financial prudence and the credit crunch by a man who is a tax exile. He has a nerve I'll say that.

Seeing as you're all going to cop a big packet of taxes to pay for the banking fiasco, I would have thought that being a tax exile just now was the essence of smartness.

If he & Lowe cant work out that a lot of that 26% drop is because of them then they are more ignorant than i thought.

Speaking as a fan who's proud to be boycotting home games and merchandise i can honestly say i'm chuffed that other fans feel the same.

Some will scoff and try and dismiss the feeling against Wilde and Lowe, but you cannot argue with the figures. There's been a 1% drop in CCC attendance on average and a 26% drop at Saints.

Well done Mike Wilde, you're a genious. Just give your shares away and slither back to your little island.

Speaking as a fan who's proud to be boycotting home games and merchandise i can honestly say i'm chuffed that other fans feel the same.

Some will scoff and try and dismiss the feeling against Wilde and Lowe, but you cannot argue with the figures. There's been a 1% drop in CCC attendance on average and a 26% drop at Saints.

Well done Mike Wilde, you're a genious. Just give your shares away and slither back to your little island.

Oh if it was only that easy....

It would still leave the finances in a mess and anyone new coming in still has a lot of tidying up to do. Attendances are a big part of that but even at a zero cost, the risk of failure to a successful businessman in the current economic mess is simply too high.

Who is to say that Barclays won't expect the newcomer to clear up some of the overdraft?

And at this moment, no businessman would expect to sell their assets at rock bottom prices just to raise the money to pay off Barclays even IF they had the money in a deposit account they may not (like AIG) be able to get that money out

We're facing a complete mess - internal and fan-base politics, hung-over financial largesse, high earners we could not move adding 2million a year to the wage bill, global meltdown and fans who worry where the next credit card payment is going to come from.

I was never that far across into the Alpine negativity camp before but I am getting VERY worried these days

Seeing as you're all going to cop a big packet of taxes to pay for the banking fiasco, I would have thought that being a tax exile just now was the essence of smartness.

If people paid their taxes fair and square (and I am talking higher earners here) this country would have a lot more cash to sort out some of our many problems. People like Wilde who enjoy the benefits etc etc of being a UK citizen without contributing to the financial infrastructure are no more than leeches. He has contributed absolutely nothing to Southampton FC except mire it in ineptitude thus enabling the ultimately deeply flawed and self-professed messianic Lowe back into power.

And still he thinks it helpful to pontificate in the pages of the sycophantic Echo. I think I'd prefer to read the thoughts of Lowe at least they were good for a laugh (if you like gallows humour that is).

He has contributed absolutely nothing to Southampton FC except mire it in ineptitude thus enabling the ultimately deeply flawed and self-professed messianic Lowe back into power.

And still he thinks it helpful to pontificate in the pages of the sycophantic Echo.

Wow. A student with a thesaurus and a gripe. What are the chances of that?

If people paid their taxes fair and square (and I am talking higher earners here) this country would have a lot more cash to sort out some of our many problems. People like Wilde who enjoy the benefits etc etc of being a UK citizen without contributing to the financial infrastructure are no more than leeches. He has contributed absolutely nothing to Southampton FC except mire it in ineptitude thus enabling the ultimately deeply flawed and self-professed messianic Lowe back into power.

And still he thinks it helpful to pontificate in the pages of the sycophantic Echo. I think I'd prefer to read the thoughts of Lowe at least they were good for a laugh (if you like gallows humour that is).

Spot on he has contributed absolutely nothing to Southampton fc ( other then stab people in the back who supported him !!)

Wonder if Wilde asked our director of football if he could write the article !!!!

beginning to sound like Mr Chorley there don'tcha think??

Tossers the lot of them.... driving the club to the wall so they can feel pleased with themselves... talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

To be honest I think its hard to tell how many are staying away because they dont have the money and what money they have they dont want to waste it on something that doesnt currently entertain them compared to how many are staying away because Lowe and Wilde are here.

If the boycotters are making a difference then they will see our club go to the wall which will make things worse for all of us. Will they then become the new Lowe and Wilde? The ones we all have a dig at for getting us in this mess?

I can understand there frustration and I do agree on many of there views but I dont agree with sitting back while the club falls.

Surly a more effective way of making a point would be to boycott certain games rather than every one. Show the board what support they are missing on the last home game of the month every month. The team would then still get the support for a majority of games and the board would get to see how many people are genuinly unhappy at the situation while having a better chance to service our debt and make us look a little bit more attractive to possible money men looking to buy a football club.

If the above were to become a reality I think it would gain more support from fans that are maybe on the fence and it could be a bigger weapon the fans can use.

I fear that the ammount of people genuinly staying away because of the 2 at the top to be allot less though so little impact would be made. The stay away fans are more because the product is not what has been promised and there is little hope of it getting much better. Unless the team can really start to get things right the attendances wont get much better.

The bloke is a grade A tw*t!

Other than the renown failure of Michael Wilde at St Mary’s, his lack of backbone and total inability to deliver on his forlorn and notorious manifesto (which largely landed us in this quagmire), he has the audacity to bleat on about credit crunch, finances, poor attendances and weathering the economic storm (laughable when you consider his contribution to SFC), while posing for a photo on the expansive lawn surrounding, what I must assume, is his sizeable home.

*Gets up from falling around the floor laughing*

Hardly appropriate to the article or is he actually taking the p*ss?! You’ve got to laugh at Mike, and the Echo, for their short sighted and foolish mindset. Not surprising though. In fact, usual p*ss-poor, laughably cringey journalism from the Daily Echo/Saints boardroom. LOL

....while posing for a photo on the expansive lawn surrounding, what I must assume, is his sizeable home.

*Gets up from falling around the floor laughing*

Hardly appropriate to the article or is he actually taking the p*ss?!

I think it's probably an archive photo but admittedly not the best one to chose in the circumstances.

Wow, what a "head in the sand" article! Falling attendances due to the credit crisis?

How about falling attendances due to the quality of football, and/or due to the cost cutting, and/or due to the Ru**rt effect, and/or due to the fact that we're playing boys against men?

The echo article graphically illustrates that our decline in attendances is not related to the credit crunch as it is disproportionate to others who have remained in the championship. It also ignores the alternative we had of recruiting experienced players from lower divisions ( on low wages like "the kids" ).

A lot of the drop in attendance is due to appointing Reknapp,who didn't want to be here,followed by another disinterested,idiotic drunk,and now another manager who thinks you can play professional football without a proper defence.

When you serially choose those kinds of managers,it is hardly surprising that fans lose interest.