Kelvin this season

NickG

Got to say despite some of the results in games I have seen I have been impressed.

I was out running listening to game on portable radio so kept flicking from solent to radio hampshire -each had two commentators -and all were raving about how outstanding KD has been for us this season both in shot stopping and claiming crosses.

He gets a lot of slagging off on here but, IMHO, a great deal of it undeserved.

Sounds like he made some cracking saves again tonight.

Not convinced Wright would have been any improvement over a season.

Got to say despite some of the results in games I have seen I have been impressed.

I was out running listening to game on portable radio so kept flicking from solent to radio hampshire -each had two commentators -and all were raving about how outstanding KD has been for us this season both in shot stopping and claiming crosses.

Part of me wishes you had not started this thread, but seeing as I and NickH have had our faith rewarded and opinions vindicated, I'd like to make it known that I was right on KD as well :-)

would still prefer RW

Jim Magilton seems to disagree!

I've said from the day we signed him that KD is a great keeper a Championship level, he had a awful season with Sunderland that knocked his confidence badly then he came here and the slagging he got from the start didn't exactly help. Great to see the bloke making a few people eat their words now!

I think we would have accumulated even less points this season if it wasn't for KD, he's made some amazing saves.

It's sort of like going back to the 90's when people used to say we were a one man team as in Matt Le Tiss, now we have KD takings over the reigns.

Ok, tongue in cheek but you know what I mean.

Jim Magilton seems to disagree!

I've said from the day we signed him that KD is a great keeper a Championship level, he had a awful season with Sunderland that knocked his confidence badly then he came here and the slagging he got from the start didn't exactly help. Great to see the bloke making a few people eat their words now!

Disagree strongly - he is a good shot stopper but crap gatherer of crosses. Only half a goalkeeper in my book.

Disagree strongly - he is a good shot stopper but crap gatherer of crosses. Only half a goalkeeper in my book.

read reports of those who went -commanded the area

listen to Dave Merrington -best keeper in division

sorry mate you are wrong he has been very good for us - a lot of prejudices in ratings of him were due to his clown error early on.

We are lucky to have him, and when I bumped into him he was a true gent with my kids.

Kelvin has played exceptionally well this season, but still does not come for crosses as RW did with us. However, this is a question of confidence, and reading last nights reports, could see him beginning to change. He does have a physical disadvantage with his height though ,against some of those big players in this league.

Well done Kelvin last night.

read reports of those who went -commanded the area

listen to Dave Merrington -best keeper in division

sorry mate you are wrong he has been very good for us - a lot of prejudices in ratings of him were due to his clown error early on.

We are lucky to have him, and when I bumped into him he was a true gent with my kids.

Firstly I was not there last night but on Saturday he didn't even command his 6 yard box so can't believe 3 days later he is commanding an area 3 times as big.

The glamour part of keeping is fingertips saves and he is as good as any but the nitty gritty is dealing with a cross when you have a Dean Windass type centre-forward to compete with as well. KD simply doesn't even bother trying and that is unacceptable.

A true gent he maybe and i'm glad he is switched on PR wise but unfortunately that doesn't get him off the hook as to his qualities as a 'keeper. Sorry.

Very hard to please you then? we are lucky to have Kelvin in our financial state and in this league. Who do you think we could replace him with realistically?

I accept he is the best we can afford (would have preferred Richard Wright) but I think the praise some are now giving him to be a little over the top. Like I said he is one of the best at pulling off wondrous saves but he has an achilles heel which is well known to all CCC sides who then exploit it. Coming for, and dealing with crosses is the hard bit of goalkeeping and KD had not come near mastering the art. He is like having a well-tuned fast car with no steering wheel.

It seems last night he was attempting to get out to crosses. His biggest weakness was set pieces from wide positions. Staying on the line caused the defence to back onto him, making us vulnerable.

If he can keep the defence out and have the room to claim or punch crosses in the goal area it will make a big difference.

Fair play to him if he is trying to do this.

I was going to start a similar thread, I don't get to many games being based up north and always busy infact last night was my first game since the Sheffield Wednesday embaressment last season. What a contrast in Kelvin at Wednesday last year he was giving the fans the bird and playing worse than my gran yet last night he was incredible stopping shots, comming for crosses and organising his deffence then to top it all off the fans finished the match singing super Kelvin! What a remarkable turn around, it may have taken a couple of seasons but it looks like he's finally got his confidence back and we are seeing some return on our investment.

On a side note great effort from the fans last night not a huge turn out but still contributed more to the atmosphere than the home contingent in the first 60 minutes!

most, including pundits completely disagree with you but its all about opinions

Quite, and I would like to accept the general concensus but his inadequacies over crosses seem to be largely swept under the carpet. Saints fans have a habit of doing that when it doesn't fit the story line.

Quite, and I would like to accept the general concensus but his inadequacies over crosses seem to be largely swept under the carpet. Saints fans have a habit of doing that when it doesn't fit the story line.
I have kept out of this thread until the nonsense you have put up here.

Name a keeper in the world who does everything superbly? There isnt one, every keeper, every player ever to have playerd the game has had a weakness, and especially at a club that is around 38th in the country.

he is easily higher than the 38th best first team keeper in England. Wright did well for us and I am grateful however do not go along with the theory that if KD had played those games we would have been down -KD has saved us on many occassions, quite bluntly he is a better keeper than our present position or the support he has had deserves.

Bob Wilson has said that he expects any busy keeper to make 3 errors in a game -its depends on how bad they are and luck as to whether they are punished.

he is easily higher than the 38th best first team keeper in England. Wright did well for us and I am grateful however do not go along with the theory that if KD had played those games we would have been down -KD has saved us on many occassions, quite bluntly he is a better keeper than our present position or the support he has had deserves.

Bob Wilson has said that he expects any busy keeper to make 3 errors in a game -its depends on how bad they are and luck as to whether they are punished.

He isnt the 38th but fans seem to think we should have number 1 in the country when as a team we are only a bottom half CCC club at present.

It seems last night he was attempting to get out to crosses. His biggest weakness was set pieces from wide positions. Staying on the line caused the defence to back onto him, making us vulnerable.

If he can keep the defence out and have the room to claim or punch crosses in the goal area it will make a big difference.

Fair play to him if he is trying to do this.

Nickh- We are leaking so many goals from corners/wide free kicks/long throws that KD has to abandon standing on the line. His defenders have to get out of his way and he has to make the effort to punch/catch the crosses coming in. If he can do this and the defenders can cover behind him if he messes up, then I think we can improve things.

Nickh- We are leaking so many goals from corners/wide free kicks/long throws that KD has to abandon standing on the line. His defenders have to get out of his way and he has to make the effort to punch/catch the crosses coming in. If he can do this and the defenders can cover behind him if he messes up, then I think we can improve things.
and the first time he messes up, you can imagine the abuse he would get. Shilton rarely came off his line Niemi also, the last keeper I can remeber who loved coming out for the ball who played for us was Eric Martin,he alwways left his leg in the air to stop the onrushing forwards from battering him.

As for goals coming from set pieces, I always thoght that was the defences domain, or the goal you put down to DMG against Coventry is now KD's fault?

and the first time he messes up, you can imagine the abuse he would get. Shilton rarely came off his line Niemi also, the last keeper I can remeber who loved coming out for the ball who played for us was Eric Martin,he alwways left his leg in the air to stop the onrushing forwards from battering him.

As for goals coming from set pieces, I always thoght that was the defences domain, or the goal you put down to DMG against Coventry is now KD's fault?

Shilton in the same breath as a discussion about Kelvin 'comedy capers' Davis. You couldn't make it up. I'm sure you're him.

Shilton in the same breath as a discussion about Kelvin 'comedy capers' Davis. You couldn't make it up. I'm sure you're him.

I've seen Shilton let a goal in directly from a corner - let's not pretend that he never made a mistake.

similar in that;

Top division we had keeper who was the best in country and certainly better than our level at that time, CCC have keeper one of best in CCC and better than a bottom 6 CCC keeper.

All about where we are now and what to expect.

DT you are entitled to your opinions. I would suspect now you are in a very small minority who dont think Davis is a very good keeper for us in this league.You have a bit chip on your shoulder about him and cant accept you are probably wrong, get over it.

If you think KD would bother trying to justify himself to berks like some on here you must be joking, so no Im not KD just another mug who stands on the Northam trying not to pillory the teams players unfairly.

from what I have seen (although not much at all this season) davies is one of, if not the best shot stopper in this league...he is/has been poor in commanding his 6 yard box and is liable to the odd howler..

saying that, by all accounts, he has been getting better this season which is only good news..

KD has been by far our best player this season. Performed consistently well throughout the games so far and has only conceded that many goals because of our leaky defence.

The only thing i'll say is that he needs to work on his aerial work, and with the quality of coaching we have at SMS, it oughtn't be hard to improve.

DT you are entitled to your opinions. I would suspect now you are in a very small minority who dont think Davis is a very good keeper for us in this league.You have a bit chip on your shoulder about him and cant accept you are probably wrong, get over it.

If you think KD would bother trying to justify himself to berks like some on here you must be joking, so no Im not KD just another mug who stands on the Northam trying not to pillory the teams players unfairly.

I am entitled to my opinion but I am probably wrong and have a chip on my shoulder. Brilliant. Diplomacy in action. It's no chip, I just think he's not very good at football and a destabilising influence on the defence.

You can suspect all you want about 'very small minorities' but I am sticking to my opinion - and that of a afair few others on here I've noticed - that a keeper who makes blinding saves one minute and then completely exposes the defence the next by not coming even to his six yard box is not the sort of keeper that any club needs. They should be like the best wicket keepers - you shouldn't notice them. Lastly, Kelvin would never address the fans directly, you're right, not even on the field. Oh.

I accept you're not KD. Perhaps you're his mum.

That was a gentle josh, by the way.

It is, only if they are dominant in the air and the goalkeeper is rooted to the line. Otherwise if the keeper can deal with some crosses it makes the defence so much more solid.

In our case we aren't dealing with them, neither is Davis, but it seems the management have decided he has to take some responsibility and get what he can. The other defenders will be aware of this and would presumably cover behind him.

Kelvin is a good keeper. Last season you can barely blame him for the ****e defence we had that changed every week. This year he has saved us so many times it really is like the Niemi years. The points we got on the board are mostly down to his saves in my opinion. Lets hope we dont do something stupid like sell him in January.

I've been one of his biggest critics in recent years but this season he's been by far our best performer... anyone doubting that for this season obviously hasn't seen him play.

I agree that he has been exceptional with some of his shot stopping and his distribution has improved no end but he has been at least partly culpable for some of the set piece goals we have conceded over the last month. When the ball is played into the 6 yard box it should be keeper's ball, no arguments!! KD needs to come and either catch or punch clear much more than he is prepared to do. All 3 of the initial crosses for Watford's goals were close enough for him to take control but in each case, he was routed to the line. Can't blame him for the goddamn awful defending of the second balls though!!

Shilton's nickname? Dracula - frightened of crosses - like it or not I heard that when he was playing because I was around in those days (unlike some).

Richard Wright? He's only made three howlers this season two of which have been late in the game and cost points.

Kelvin's howler 'that cost us the game' against QPR (two season's ago) came right on half-time - we only had 45 minutes to get an equaliser but obviously everyone prefers a team that scores one goal and that's enough.

This season if Kelvin makes a mistake it's gonna cost us the game because we couldn't score in a brothel with our pants stuffed full of tenners.

Jesus ok hes not perfect, which keeper is, but without him we'd have half the points and deeper in the **** than we are now,

Why cant we give credit where its due and be thankful hes playing this way instead of finding faults, if you want to do that look at 10 outfield players first, christ when our keeper is MOTM then theres something wrong

I am entitled to my opinion but I am probably wrong and have a chip on my shoulder. Brilliant. Diplomacy in action. It's no chip, I just think he's not very good at football and a destabilising influence on the defence.

You can suspect all you want about 'very small minorities' but I am sticking to my opinion - and that of a afair few others on here I've noticed - that a keeper who makes blinding saves one minute and then completely exposes the defence the next by not coming even to his six yard box is not the sort of keeper that any club needs. They should be like the best wicket keepers - you shouldn't notice them. Lastly, Kelvin would never address the fans directly, you're right, not even on the field. Oh.

I accept you're not KD. Perhaps you're his mum.

That was a gentle josh, by the way.

DT I like a friendly josh and have a sense of humour so I smiled with yours. (Im not his mum and have never met the bloke either) I have just defended him from some terrible injustice on here fore 2 seasons. That doesnt mean I dont see some shortfalls in his ability but I do realise we are a CCC club and so cannot expect perfection. I dont hold with if its in the 6 yard box its the keepers because every week tens of goals are scored from withing the 6 yard box and it is not the keepers fault.

I dont know how old you are but as a kid I saw Pat Jennings and he would command hios area and take the ball out of the air one handed. He wouldnt be able to do so now as the balls are lighter and move in the air, it is a dangerous game going for the ball like that.

If the ball is a floated cross then yes the keeper should come for it but if it is whipped in it is suicide.

Anyway I for 1 am delighted he has won many fans around and they sing his name, also that he turned his phone off on deadline day so he couldnt be sold.

I have argued on here for seasons now that he is decent at this level and has played well. Far too many just pointed to the errors early doors adn weren't able to judge on each individual game rather than their preconceived opinion of him.

He has been decent (and improving every year) pretty much since that **** up against QPR by the way.

His distribution and shot stopping is first class. He commands his area much better now and his decisions when to come and sweep and when not are top draw. He still doesn't come for many crosses and he lacks a bit of height, but this is the ccc so what do people expect?

DT I like a friendly josh and have a sense of humour so I smiled with yours. (Im not his mum and have never met the bloke either) I have just defended him from some terrible injustice on here fore 2 seasons. That doesnt mean I dont see some shortfalls in his ability but I do realise we are a CCC club and so cannot expect perfection. I dont hold with if its in the 6 yard box its the keepers because every week tens of goals are scored from withing the 6 yard box and it is not the keepers fault.

I dont know how old you are but as a kid I saw Pat Jennings and he would command hios area and take the ball out of the air one handed. He wouldnt be able to do so now as the balls are lighter and move in the air, it is a dangerous game going for the ball like that.

If the ball is a floated cross then yes the keeper should come for it but if it is whipped in it is suicide.

Anyway I for 1 am delighted he has won many fans around and they sing his name, also that he turned his phone off on deadline day so he couldnt be sold.

I'm 39 and remember Pat Jennings. Biggest hands in football, apparently (remember an article in Shoot way back when). He was first class. Let's agree to disagree but both hope for more clean sheets. Just like Madonna and Guy had.

A good goalkeeper performs well all season - Davis is a flash in the pan, good sometimes and an able shot stopper but always prone to errors and bloody useless at crosses. Your thread was a little premature old son.

You are dead right here with this statement and that is twice in a week. Things can only get better.

Davis is one of the better goalie..no matter what his detractors say..

Having just seen the goals from yesterday he was beaten at his near post for the thid goal although the 2nd reared up at him. He has had a much better season but I am far from convinced. I would like a big lump in goal who commands his area but we are now beggars it appears and not choosers !

I would like a big lump playing centre half and centre forward the same as every other team in the league. No one gave Davis stick yesterday as most who go regularly to games realise he's saved us many times this season.