Saganowski

Saint Martini

I don't suppose there's any way we can get him back in January? They'll be out the CL anyway. Maybe selling John would help? And/or BWP?

BWP can go, but you really want to replace a man who scored 19 goals last season with a man who scored 4? Sure, Saganowski has work ethic - but we have that throughout the team now.

I would love to have Saga back, but certainly not at the expense of John.

I don't suppose there's any way we can get him back in January? They'll be out the CL anyway. Maybe selling John would help? And/or BWP?

He'd be fantastic IMO. I don't get why one bad season after very poor treatment by Burley makes him a poor player, when he looked great for us before, better towards the end of the season, good for Poland and not at all bad for Aalborg despite playing right wing or alone up front against far better opposition.

This "playing for a contract" stuff suggests he's so damn good he can just decide to find form like that when he wants! It makes no sense to anyone that's seen him, because even though his scoring was off last season, he workrate and defending from the front and hold up play were first rate. So how on earth is that just "playing for a contract"??? Yet no doubt that comment will keep popping up.

It was a 5 month loan and their manager (Bruce Rioch) is leaving in January so I'd say there's quite a big chance we'll get him back. If we actually keep him then as well is a different question altogether.

Lacks end product. We've enough like that at the moment and can do without him on the wage bill. A fit rasiak is worth two Saga's - perhaps not in terms of running around like a headless chicken etc, but in terms of end product.

Saga is the player that has frustrated me most over the past couple of seasons.

Lacks end product. We've enough like that at the moment and can do without him on the wage bill. A fit rasiak is worth two Saga's - perhaps not in terms of running around like a headless chicken etc, but in terms of end product.

Saga is the player that has frustrated me most over the past couple of seasons.

I tend to disregard last season where Saga is concerned. He was treated like shiiit by Burley, who seems to have a limited mental capacity to only be able to consider whichever player comes in last.

He dumped Rasiak when Saga came in.

He dumped Saga when John came in.

I tend to disregard last season where Saga is concerned. He was treated like shiiit by Burley, who seems to have a limited mental capacity to only be able to consider whichever player comes in last.

Totally 10000000000000000000000000% agree.

:rolleyes:

Credit Crunch... Burley's fault.

Saga put in too many half assed performances. John scored goals.

:rolleyes:

Credit Crunch... Burley's fault.

Saga put in too many half assed performances. John scored goals.

Utter ******.

Unless you are some sort of Star Trek or Arthur C Clarke geek, cause comes before effect.

Saga scored our first goal of last season against Palace, then hardly got a look in.

However, Rasiak and Saganowski didn't really work well together, and Saga and Jones were better than Rasiak and Jones.

Then when Jones left, Saga and John weren't exactly an ideal partnership, so Burley seemed to flick between BWP and Saga to partner John.

While on the whole I agree with you that Burley's treatment of Rasiak and Saganowski was pretty shocking, I think there was at least see some vague level of reason behind the idea.

However, Rasiak and Saganowski didn't really work well together, and Saga and Jones were better than Rasiak and Jones.

Then when Jones left, Saga and John weren't exactly an ideal partnership, so Burley seemed to flick between BWP and Saga to partner John.

While on the whole I agree with you that Burley's treatment of Rasiak and Saganowski was pretty shocking, I think there was at least see some vague level of reason behind the idea.

"Vague" just about sums it up....

It's no good harping on about strikers, we ain't creating anything from midfield that warrants the use of strikers in our team. Chopping and changing strikers around is missing the point altogether. Until we stop running around like headless chickens in mid-field and actually devise a plan to get beyond defenders, all talk of strikers is pie-in-the-sky

Utter ******.

Unless you are some sort of Star Trek or Arthur C Clarke geek, cause comes before effect.

Saga scored our first goal of last season against Palace, then hardly got a look in.

If you call 15 starts and 17 sub appearances not getting a look in. It's more than some of the youngsters you are slagging off have played in their entire career. You make allowances for an experienced striker who scored 3 goals in 32 appearances last season but have decided DMG who has scored 5 goals in 15 appearances is useless.

Think I already explained that one, and yes I definitely would. John is ok but I don't think he'll necessarily score that many again. You can't base all decisions on last seasons form. Saga is a good striker and IMO would bring more to the team than John. I'd rather have both up front together if I had the choice.

Sorry but you really should check John's stats... the term PROVEN GOALSCORER was made for this man. He scored 1 in 2 for us last season, it takes Saga 8 games to score 1.

In my humble opinion the team for this season should have been built around providing him the chances to score.

Again, how on earth can anyone logically justify a comment like that? Is he that brilliant that when a contract comes along he can score goals like he did at Wolves?

He worked harder than anyone even when not scoring last season. So at what point and how does he decide, "right, I've got my contract, I'll work as hard as ever, track back, hold up the ball, but I really can't be arsed to score anymore".

He came to us under a cloud, couldn't get a game... he's gone to AAB under a cloud, couldn't get a game... I wonder where next?? Shet, it's us isn't it :D

I'm more of the opinion that he got lucky in his first season than he was particulary bad in the second.

IMO his all round play is very average indeed. He offers himself well, but when he gets the ball he loses it. I've never seen so many crap flicks, misplaced passes and weak hold up play in my life. This happened constantly, but because he scored goals every week you tended to forgive him very quickly indeed, however last season he scored **** all so all you got to see was him giving the ball away cheaply and then blazing over the bar.

What makes me laugh is when people describe him as pacey, hardworking, or good at holding the ball up. He offers none of those things, all he has ever offered is goals and they dried up as his confidence dissappeared.

Yes he was messed about by Burley, but he was injured for a long spell and when he returned he was crap. He obviously needed a long run in the side to find his feet, but we didn't have the time and every chance he got he failed to take it. Burley just didn't ever want to give him 4 or 5 games on the trot and Pearson wasn't overly impressed either.

I appreciate the other strikers we have are not world beaters, but I suspect Saga is on a hefty wage so that's why he is out the door for now. IMO we shoud never have signed him. We had too many strikers last season and we wasted hundreds of thousands paying them all to warm the bench.

At the risk of being pedantic, that was infact his second goal for Aalborg. The first was also in the CL in a qualifier. Personally I'd have a player who has scored 2 CL goals in 5 appearances in our team at the moment. (Cue some idiot saying qualifying games don't count, because they only feature sh*tty teams like Arsenal, and that Ipswich and Barnsley are infact better than Villarreal).

I never got people saying Rasiak and Saga can't play together. Saga and John worked perfectly well together given time, and Rasiak is a similar player to John. It is a partnership which has never really been tried. I believe the partnership has so far yielded 3 goals from all of 4 starts. Compare that to the 9 from 20 odd starts BWP and John produced last season.

I hope he comes back in January. He would easily be our best striker I reckon, based on our current lot. This BS about playing for a contract is... well BS. Anyone who watched him last season could see he worked his socks off, despite sh*t treatment from Burley, even if the goals didn't come.

Again, how on earth can anyone logically justify a comment like that? Is he that brilliant that when a contract comes along he can score goals like he did at Wolves?

He worked harder than anyone even when not scoring last season. So at what point and how does he decide, "right, I've got my contract, I'll work as hard as ever, track back, hold up the ball, but I really can't be arsed to score anymore".

I agree the "I've a contract, I can't be arsed anymore" is a load of ********, but I disagree that he worked harder than anyone. He worked harder than Stern John, but that's about it. Popular misconception that he was a grafter IMO.

Bruce Rioch has been fired as the manager of Aalborg,this developement may impact on Saga's future,dependant if the new boss has him in his plans.

Personally i would like to see him back in January and resurecting his career at Saints,i think he still has alot to offer this club,more so than the likes of BWP and Mcgoldrick.

Bruce Rioch has been fired as the manager of Aalborg,this developement may impact on Saga's future,dependant if the new boss has him in his plans.

Personally i would like to see him back in January and resurecting his career at Saints,i think he still has alot to offer this club,more so than the likes of BWP and Mcgoldrick.

Strange that Rioch has been fired when he took them to the (very lucrative) group stages of the Champion's League. I mean they can't exactly have expected to win matches in the group,can they??

Must be over something else.

Strange that Rioch has been fired when he took them to the (very lucrative) group stages of the Champion's League. I mean they can't exactly have expected to win matches in the group,can they??

Must be over something else.

Have you seen their league form? They're second from bottom and have only won twice this season.

I tend to disregard the freak season Saga had with us when he actually scored some goals because every other season in his career his goals to games ration is rubbish - just like he is.

Have you seen their league form? They're second from bottom and have only won twice this season.

Well no, but that would explain exactly why he's getting the sack.

Trouble is for little minnows like AAB the players get into a groove where all they think about is the CL games and their chance to get a big money transfer.

Happens all the time, the league form drops away like a lead brick.

Quite honestly sides like AAB have no place in the champions league group stages.

Well no, but that would explain exactly why he's getting the sack.

Trouble is for little minnows like AAB the players get into a groove where all they think about is the CL games and their chance to get a big money transfer.

Happens all the time, the league form drops away like a lead brick.

Quite honestly sides like AAB have no place in the champions league group stages.

They would if it was a Champions League for national champions. The UEFA truely killed that tournament in the '90s. A real shame IMHO, makes the Champions League less special.

They would if it was a Champions League for national champions. The UEFA truely killed that tournament in the '90s. A real shame IMHO, makes the Champions League less special.

Yes ,but that way they would get tonked by some megabucks club in the 2nd or 3rd round and we wouldn't have to watch them get thumped 4,5 or 6 times.

Yes ,but that way they would get tonked by some megabucks club in the 2nd or 3rd round and we wouldn't have to watch them get thumped 4,5 or 6 times.

The difference between the big leagues and the smaller ones would have been way less then it is now. Teams like Arsenal, Manu, Chelsea and Liverpool almost know they will have CL money to spend and budget for it. If only one of them would get that every year and every year the same would happen for teams from smaller countries there would be a more equal spread of the CL money over different leagues. Besides that players wouldn't leave their home leagues as quickly, nowadays players leave the smaller league becuase they want to play at the highest level (CL) and they're pretty much guaranteed that if they sign for a big team in either Spain, Italy or England. If only one team would make it to the CL they wouldn't move as quickly. It doesn't matter now anymore but I used to like the tournament a lot more when there was different teams in it every year and it was impossible to predict who would make it to the knockout stage. Now you can just fill in the English team together with some Spanish and Italian ones and maybe Bayern Munchen, Bremen, Lyon and a surprise team. Rather boring.

Check the '95 CL tournament, IFK Gothenburg made it to the quarters where it lost on away goals to Bayern I think. In the group stage they finished above Barcelona and Manu. Such a shame that that is impossible now.

The difference between the big leagues and the smaller ones would have been way less then it is now. Teams like Arsenal, Manu, Chelsea and Liverpool almost know they will have CL money to spend and budget for it. If only one of them would get that every year and every year the same would happen for teams from smaller countries there would be a more equal spread of the CL money over different leagues. Besides that players wouldn't leave their home leagues as quickly, nowadays players leave the smaller league becuase they want to play at the highest level (CL) and they're pretty much guaranteed that if they sign for a big team in either Spain, Italy or England. If only one team would make it to the CL they wouldn't move as quickly. It doesn't matter now anymore but I used to like the tournament a lot more when there was different teams in it every year and it was impossible to predict who would make it to the knockout stage. Now you can just fill in the English team together with some Spanish and Italian ones and maybe Bayern Munchen, Bremen, Lyon and a surprise team. Rather boring.

Correct, the Champions League is boring, so is the UEFA.

You know that the CL will be won by a side that cost at least 250 million

to assemble and that the last 4 will be composed of similar clubs. The group strages are just for the show. Watched Marseille yesterday, big club, no money,about 19 Africans on a couple of bob a week=No chance.

Check the '95 CL tournament, IFK Gothenburg made it to the quarters where it lost on away goals to Bayern I think. In the group stage they finished above Barcelona and Manu. Such a shame that that is impossible now.

Ha ha - Hull are going to muck that up for them and one of them will go broke!

Totally agree.

on what basis,one whole goal scored for Aalborg..?

I`ve seen him play a couple of games this season,and he has been ****e..and not even putting in the effort from last season to boot.

a match-fit Stern would be much better for our team...if only the manager gave him 4-5 starts in a row !

on what basis,one whole goal scored for Aalborg..?

I`ve seen him play a couple of games this season,and he has been ****e..and not even putting in the effort from last season to boot.

a match-fit Stern would be much better for our team...if only the manager gave him 4-5 starts in a row !

Agreed Stern would be better for our team and I would pair him with Saganowski. I think Saggy has more to offer than McGoldrick.

I'm more of the opinion that he got lucky in his first season than he was particulary bad in the second.

IMO his all round play is very average indeed. He offers himself well, but when he gets the ball he loses it. I've never seen so many crap flicks, misplaced passes and weak hold up play in my life. This happened constantly, but because he scored goals every week you tended to forgive him very quickly indeed, however last season he scored **** all so all you got to see was him giving the ball away cheaply and then blazing over the bar.

What makes me laugh is when people describe him as pacey, hardworking, or good at holding the ball up. He offers none of those things, all he has ever offered is goals and they dried up as his confidence dissappeared.

Yes he was messed about by Burley, but he was injured for a long spell and when he returned he was crap. He obviously needed a long run in the side to find his feet, but we didn't have the time and every chance he got he failed to take it. Burley just didn't ever want to give him 4 or 5 games on the trot and Pearson wasn't overly impressed either.

I appreciate the other strikers we have are not world beaters, but I suspect Saga is on a hefty wage so that's why he is out the door for now. IMO we shoud never have signed him. We had too many strikers last season and we wasted hundreds of thousands paying them all to warm the bench.

Absolutely spot on.

Absolutely spot on.

We signed him because the "fans" thought the sun shone out of his a/h.

I doubt (and that's pure speculation) if Hone + Hoos were overly keen,in fact they took their time, but as he was at the World Cup it wasn't so easy I suppose.I do think we got well and truly shafted over Saga, don't think (hearsay) that we got him on permanent for the same price as we got him on loan,hence the reticence of the execs.I don't doubt the "non-execs" loved him though.

Think I already explained that one, and yes I definitely would. John is ok but I don't think he'll necessarily score that many again. You can't base all decisions on last seasons form. Saga is a good striker and IMO would bring more to the team than John. I'd rather have both up front together if I had the choice.

Are you still predicting McGoaldrought and the other young strikers will score 20+ goals this season?

Agreed Stern would be better for our team and I would pair him with Saganowski. I think Saggy has more to offer than McGoldrick.

Now that combination looks a lot more exciting. BUT I would still rather we concentrated on our defence. This is the area we need to be bringing players in more urgently.

At the risk of being pedantic, that was infact his second goal for Aalborg. The first was also in the CL in a qualifier. Personally I'd have a player who has scored 2 CL goals in 5 appearances in our team at the moment. (Cue some idiot saying qualifying games don't count, because they only feature sh*tty teams like Arsenal, and that Ipswich and Barnsley are infact better than Villarreal).

I never got people saying Rasiak and Saga can't play together. Saga and John worked perfectly well together given time, and Rasiak is a similar player to John. It is a partnership which has never really been tried. I believe the partnership has so far yielded 3 goals from all of 4 starts. Compare that to the 9 from 20 odd starts BWP and John produced last season.

I hope he comes back in January. He would easily be our best striker I reckon, based on our current lot. This BS about playing for a contract is... well BS. Anyone who watched him last season could see he worked his socks off, despite sh*t treatment from Burley, even if the goals didn't come.

At the risk of sounding more pedantic that is actually not true. He didn't score in the qualifiers, he did score one cup goal (a late equaliser against Brønshøj).

In years to come this will be cited as the reason for the death of club football.