New depths?

bridge too far

surely by default...cleggy would get the gig...

yet his party will still hate him

If Cameron resigned and there is no other insider knowledge or corruption about this in the Tory Party there would not have to be a general election and in the short term Clegg would deputise as TDD suggests. However as the largest party in the coalition the new Tory leader would become the new PM.

As others mention, a hard right winger like Gove or Lansley would not work as the LDs would refuse to comply and a general election would be the result which Labour would probably win. If I had to pick a rising Tory star it would be Philip Hammond, the Transport Secretary.

Interesting answer from Boris Johnson earlier when pressed to defend Cameron in press conference earlier. This is getting closer and closer to the PM every day.

'I’m not here to discuss government appointments. Those questions you must address to government. I don’t think there’s a very clear read across. This is a matter you must address to Number 10 Downing Street.' - http://blogs.ft.com/westminster/2011/07/boris-fails-to-defend-cameron/#axzz1STukI1Ed

So the one and only person who was willing to testify under oath that the people in charge were lying turns up dead before he gets the chance. Bloody hell! It's David Kelly and the sexed-up Iraq dossier all over again!

Speaking of which, I trust Millibean will be resigning.

Speaking of which, I trust Millibean will be resigning.

Because?

He gave a very thought-provoking press conference this morning about the hypocrisy of the people 'at the top' hectoring people at the bottom to take more responsibility. About how those very people at the top (press barons, top police, politicians, bankers) guilty of such hectoring should take a long hard look at themselves.

I have the inside story:

This unfortunate NOTW reporter has been secretly assassinated by that notorious MI5 hit man, the Duke of Edinburgh, who is being blackmailed by David Cameron into this desperate measure because the PM has threatened to revel the real truth behind Princess Diana's 'accident'. Phil broke into his Watford property (note: conveniently close to Windsor Castle) in the dead of night (while his wife kept watch outside standing on a grassy knoll) and left one of those highly radioactive Honda Accord's they're not telling us about in his garage - a terrible fate indeed. The PM (AKA 'Big Dave') will certainly next seek to silence the Murdoch's before they can appear before the Parliamentary Select Committee by arranging for their apparent 'Suicide' at the earliest opportunity - watch this space.

Meanwhile, an elite SAS hit squad will be sent into downtown Tripoli next week on a undercover mission to abduct Colonel Gaddafi and bring him back to the UK so that Liam Fox (the mastermind behind the entire phone hacking plot) can claim credit and emerge as the leading candidate to succeed Cameron as the next PM - its all a right wing plot you see.

If I don't post anything tomorrow I fear it will be because by that time I will be appearing as a central tunnel support on the Jubilee Line extension.

boris-johnson-bike_667500n.jpg

Had to giggle when Boris refused to apologise for referring to the Hackgate scandal as "This is a load of codswallop" last year.

His judgement seems to be as flawed as Cameron's on this one, with both of them found wanting as events overtook them.

Because?

He gave a very thought-provoking press conference this morning about the hypocrisy of the people 'at the top' hectoring people at the bottom to take more responsibility. About how those very people at the top (press barons, top police, politicians, bankers) guilty of such hectoring should take a long hard look at themselves.

It is obvious that the case for Millibean being banished from politics vis-a-vis the last government's appaling and illegal duplicity over a WAR, something that leaves them with the blood of people, British and Iraqi on their hands is immeasurably more persuasive than the case against Cameron being forced to resign as a result of giving a job to someone who may have done something wrong once involving poor journalistic practice (and may not, as nothing has been proven and I'm pretty sure nothing has even been alleged vis-a-vis Coulson's work at Downing Street).

The rank hypocrisy of Miilibean (who's his PR man by the way, what's his job history?... oh!) is astonishing.

It is obvious that the case for Millibean being banished from politics vis-a-vis the last government's appaling and illegal duplicity over a WAR, something that leaves them with the blood of people, British and Iraqi on their hands is immeasurably more persuasive than the case against Cameron being forced to resign as a result of giving a job to someone who may have done something wrong once involving poor journalistic practice (and may not, as nothing has been proven and I'm pretty sure nothing has even been alleged vis-a-vis Coulson's work at Downing Street).

The rank hypocrisy of Miilibean (who's his PR man by the way, what's his job history?... oh!) is astonishing.

You do realise that Ed Milliband wasn't elected to parliament until 2005 don't you? I agree with you completely on the Iraq war and the then government's actions in prosecuting it, but that's hardly something that can be laid at Ed Milliband's door.

You do realise that Ed Milliband wasn't elected to parliament until 2005 don't you? I agree with you completely on the Iraq war and the then government's actions in prosecuting it, but that's hardly something that can be laid at Ed Milliband's door.

I know that full well. In the same way that Coulson's actions (whatever they were - we don't know) at NI can hardly be laid at Cameron's door.

At present, the Tom Baldwin attack back on Miliband is frankly pathetic and desperate. Nothing of note has been solidly proven against him and he has no history of being involved or connected to anything such as Coulson was when hired(also hired despite warnings from many people). It's all just desperate attacks not based in truth and frankly, no-one really cares!

The war isn't something on Miliband personally either, it doesn't cloud his personal reputation. And also, nothing is actually proven on the Iraq war yet and frankly I don't even know why I am addressing this point. It is again a pathetic attempt to deflect from the issue. I.E How the hell did someone like Andy Coulson waltz straight into the heart of our political system?!

Was he in government back then? No? Thought not.

BIG difference, even with your blinkered outlook, between Millibands limited role pre-Iraq as an advisor and the current PMs decision making regarding NI.

In fact, I can't remember any Milliband speeches, papers, articles, pre-Iraq, where he says we should go to war.

he supported and campaigned for a party that did the ultimate unthinkable....he went out on the streets telling everyone how wonderful labour were back then...

whilst in real life they have (god knows how much) blood on their hands through utter lies in the name of our democracy.....

no matter what comes of this phone hacking thing, it will not even come close to what blair and brown led their party to in 2003 and beyond..

It was good to see Ed Balls ratbag wife put in her place by Teresa May.

Brilliant contribution full of substance. For what its worth, in my opinion, Teresa May like the rest of the conservative party for the last couple of weeks looked right out of touch and out of place. They still haven't addressed the Coulson issue and the longer they leave it, the worse it will get.

In fact, I can't remember any Milliband speeches, papers, articles, pre-Iraq, where he says we should go to war.

I can't remember anything he's said. That lispy voice and gormless face is all I can think of when I think of him.

he supported and campaigned for a party that did the ultimate unthinkable....he went out on the streets telling everyone how wonderful labour were back then...

whilst in real life they have (god knows how much) blood on their hands through utter lies in the name of our democracy.....

no matter what comes of this phone hacking thing, it will not even come close to what blair and brown led their party to in 2003 and beyond..

Give over, bar the Lib Dems and a few Labour backbenchers at one frontbencher, they all supported it.

All very dramatic saying how Labour has blood on its hands forgetting that they needed tory votes to get it through the commons and it was Labour supporters on the streets attempting to stop it.

I can't remember anything he's said. That lispy voice and gormless face is all I can think of when I think of him.

Why always the nasty? Find something constructive to say.

For what it is worth, Ed Miliband only became an MP in 2005 and has always spoken out against the Iraq War like much of the Labour party.

panorama on now....and already showing that this is not the place for party point scoring and claiming to have the moral high ground for the party you represent...they are all as bad as each other...red ed, dave, balls and co

New Labour never courted the Murdochs. When Jackanory spoke of Balls and his ratbag wife smarming round them it was all an illusion.

Give over, bar the Lib Dems and a few Labour backbenchers at one frontbencher, they all supported it.

All very dramatic saying how Labour has blood on its hands forgetting that they needed tory votes to get it through the commons and it was Labour supporters on the streets attempting to stop it.

I know...but would the other have bare faced LIED like blair and his mates.....who knows...but they did

as a result, I know people that were killed for that

The issue is the PMs decision to appoint him despite warnings not to. It's his judgement that is in question, not guilt by association.

Also, currently, it is Cameron's lack of leadership. At the moment, he's being led by the nose by Miliband. He also seems to have convenient 'other appointments' when difficult questions are about to be asked. Of course the trade mission to Africa is important - but he could have sent a deputy instead.

I believe these current events will have far reaching consequences for our country and I am quite ashamed at the spotlight being put on it by these charlatans in the press and police.

Bang on. The Iraq War never would have happened without Tory MP votes.

The issue is the PMs decision to appoint him despite warnings not to. It's his judgement that is in question, not guilt by association.

PM's judgments are in quesiton every minute of every day. Calls to resign over something as triffling as this are quite pathetic and indefensibly hypocritical.

Also, currently, it is Cameron's lack of leadership. At the moment, he's being led by the nose by Miliband. He also seems to have convenient 'other appointments' when difficult questions are about to be asked. Of course the trade mission to Africa is important - but he could have sent a deputy instead.

I believe these current events will have far reaching consequences for our country and I am quite ashamed at the spotlight being put on it by these charlatans in the press and police.

you are sad...all you keep going on about is ed etc and how he is performing...

they are "all in it together" on this one

Based on Blairs WMDs speech which was based on false intelligence.

Although one might point out that MPs were voting based on the information available to them. Information which was systematically fabricated by the ruling regime.

Yeah, right, triffling.

Typical in denial tory.

He's in more danger from his own right wing.

Oh, I must be a "Tory".

Resign over this? Truly a suggestion of the utmost mentalism. Is any of this Cameron's fault? No. Did he possibly make an error. Yes. Is it important, current media-fixation aside? No.