New depths?

bridge too far

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

The repulsive then Editor, Rebekah Wade should be prosecuted and imprisoned for encouraging this.

The repulsive then Editor, Rebekah Wade should be prosecuted and imprisoned for encouraging this.

In March 2002 when Milly Dowler dissappeared and the phone was hacked, not only was Wade editor, but Andy Coulson was Deputy Editor.

Of course, they both knew nothing about it...

free press and freedom of....blah blah blah

You what? They hacked into the voicemail and deleted messages from a phone of a murdered 13yo to sell more papers.

If you cannot see that it has nothing to do the freedom of the press but everything to do with simple human decency then I despair.

Edited by View From The Top

You what? They hacked into the voicemail and deleted messages from a phone of a murdered 13yo to sell more papers.

If you cannot see that it has nothing to do with freedom of the freedom of the press but everything to do with simple human decency then I despair.

they have needed a leash put on them for years...but too many people kick off the min this gets mentioned

Thing is Wade and Coulson have always denied any knowledge of phone hacking yet here we have a story when they were editor and deputy editor when the paper explicitly admitted to the police in charge of the Milly Dowler investigation that they hacked her phone.

The newspaper also made no effort to conceal its activity from Surrey police. After it had hacked the message from the recruitment agency on Milly's phone, the paper informed police about it.

So who was it who told the police at the time? If it can be traced back to Wade and/or Coulson then they are in the poo (hopefully!)l.

they have needed a leash put on them for years...but too many people kick off the min this gets mentioned

TBF, you seem to be ploughing one of the dumbest ever furrows on this forum with this one. I'd give it up.

Well many people criticise Dubai about many things, but ONE thing they have got right....

The NOTW is banned down here.

Sooner the whole lot of their Editorial staff get Jailed for the whole phone hacking rubbish the better...

Because then the Cops can go check out all the rest of the press...

Still, you lot do love reading krap about your celebs don't you, so somone else will be along soon afterwards.

On a different note, you'll all be pleased to know that the local Hello Magazine will be publishing a picture of some real celebs this month....

yep Me & EoA got snapped tonight.........

lol next stop our phones will be hacked can see it now

"Dubai p1ssheads in where to watch the Leeds game?" Exclusive.....

I will never buy this paper again.

Go a step further. Write to your MP to demand a judicial enquiry. Write to your local supermarket to ask if they plan to continue selling a newspaper whose journalists think it's okay to hack the phones of murdered children.

Christ on a bike! What is wrong with you? This was illegal and not an exercise in freedom of the press.

but this has been waiting to happen....everytime we gasp at the press....people (many) will say having a free press is essential..it does not take a genius to see the road the press is going down....recently it is all coming out..phone hacking celebs and politicians now this...the papers doing this remain the best selling and morals become skewed of the people that are doing this....

the simple answer is...stop buying News of the world and its sister papers...but that will never happen.. the thirst for gossip, what cheryl cole is doing...what rift we can cause in government..what latest outrage can be caused is all rife in todays society...

Now is the time to reel in the so called free press in this country as it is now being shown that they cant be trusted to act in the right and moral manner...

I wonder what we dont know about

Jamie - I'd defend freedom of the press to the hilt, even if a lot of what it prints is unpalatable.

But put aside any feelings of revulsion about this phone hacking for a minute. It was, quite simply, ILLEGAL.

I wouldn't buy the Sun, NOTW, or the Times. I'm very seriously thinking about cancelling my Sky subscribtion now. We all have to vote with our feet.

Jamie - I'd defend freedom of the press to the hilt, even if a lot of what it prints is unpalatable.

But put aside any feelings of revulsion about this phone hacking for a minute. It was, quite simply, ILLEGAL.

I wouldn't buy the Sun, NOTW, or the Times. I'm very seriously thinking about cancelling my Sky subscribtion now. We all have to vote with our feet.

but with freedom of the press in this country...this is a beast that has been created......I hope the press get slaughtered for this

What? The freedom of the press does not extend to illegal activities - surely you're not daft enough to believe that.

I know...but their morals have clearly been skewed in the need for more info. more gossip. and we as a public, cant get enough it seems...

genuine question...was it actually illegal at the time...??

I don't follow the arguement/point you're making. Yes, the press print gossip and tittle tattle about celebrities, but how does this square with the illegal hacking of a missing schoolgirls phone? Where is the link there? I know you're saying the whole affair is wrong and bad, but why not just say that rather than adding a "but" in there where there doesn't need to be one?

I don't follow the arguement/point you're making. Yes, the press print gossip and tittle tattle about celebrities, but how does this square with the illegal hacking of a missing schoolgirls phone? Where is the link there? I know you're saying the whole affair is wrong and bad, but why not just say that rather than adding a "but" in there where there doesn't need to be one?

was it illegal at the time..???

I suspect the BBC have also hacked in to phones and computers . How come they always seem to have seen or heard secret recordings and documents etc.

The ruskies would not have a problem risking their spies if the cold war still existed. they just need to recruit journos and folk at the BBC simples

It will be interesting to see if the great unwashed still buy this sh!tty rag in the coming weeks. I suspect that TDD is right when he says that the typical NOTW "reader" will still have an unwavering desire to satisfy their lust for celebrity gossip, T&A and general horse**** paraded as news.

Write to your local supermarket to ask if they plan to continue selling a newspaper whose journalists think it's okay to hack the phones of murdered children.

I'ts always been in the British people's hands to ruin Murdoch.

Nobody marches people at gun point to buy the Sun, NOTW or Times, Sky does not collect it's money under threat of being sent to jail. I've never understood how such rags as TOTW and The Sun are are best selling papers. Surely we should be ashamed as a nation that they are.

This should be the tipping point, the moment that people refuse to buy these papers anymore, but it wont be. Thousends of chavs will pop up the shops Sunday morning for their fill of gossip and t1ts.

I see that the editor at the time (Rebekah Brooks/Wade) is denying all knowledge of the incident (as one would expect) and that Ed Milliband has called for her to "consider her position because it happened on her watch"....

Following this logic, does this mean Labour are at last prepared to shoulder their share of the blame for the banking crisis given that "happened on their watch" too...?

Hmmm....me doth smell the aroma of opportunism from our esteemed Labour leader....

Edited by trousers

I see that the editor at the time (Rebekah Brooks/Wade) is denying all knowledge of the incident (as one would expect) and that Ed Milliband has called for her to "consider her position because it happened on her watch"....

Following this logic, does this mean Labour are at last prepared to shoulder their share of the blame for the banking crisis given that "happened on their watch" too...?

Hmmm....me doth smell the aroma of opportunism from our esteemed Labour leader....

It's bad enough that you bankers hoodwinked yourselves and everyone else, and caused the credit crunch in the first place with your absurd derivatives-driven property bubble. But to then blame it on a bunch of politicians - who, no matter how awful they may be, are completely irrelevant to international bankers - is pretty staggering.

None of which has any bearing on this thread. Rebekah Wade should go. It didn't just happen 'on her watch' - she was responsible for the culture at NoW that created this mess.

Labour have been sucking up to RM, since Kinnock lost the 92 election. They're as bad as the Torys when it comes to News International.