New depths?

bridge too far

What has made it a hell of a lot worse in my eyes is how Milliband has thrown himself into the middle of it in a tasteless point scoring exercise. Gordon Brown also couldn't wait to reappear in the Commons to get back at the Murdochs for their lack of support at the end of his tenure.

It's a sorry state of affairs when the nature of modern politics means something like this can happen, and then be used as ammunition against a rival party.

You're saying that the Leader of the Opposition shouldn't question the judgement of the PM regarding appointing Coulson?

Cameron is up to his neck in this and damn right he should be questioned on it and that is the job of Milliband.

Gordon Brown also couldn't wait to reappear in the Commons to get back at the Murdochs for their lack of support at the end of his tenure.

It's a sorry state of affairs when the nature of modern politics means something like this can happen, and then be used as ammunition against a rival party.

According to Nick Clegg and Nick Robinson when Coulson resigned as editor of the News of the World the first person to call him and commiserate was Gordon Brown.

Rupert Murdoch claims he was a friend of the Brown's "until The Sun withdrew it's support".

I have a feeling that the hypocrites on the Labour benches may face some uncomfortable questions once The Murdoch's and Brookes have had their say.

According to Nick Clegg and Nick Robinson when Coulson resigned as editor of the News of the World the first person to call him and commiserate was Gordon Brown.

Rupert Murdoch claims he was a friend of the Brown's "until The Sun withdrew it's support".

I have a feeling that the hypocrites on the Labour benches may face some uncomfortable questions once The Murdoch's and Brookes have had their say.

I think the hypocrites on all sides of the political divide will face uncomfortable questions. I think this will run and run and I also think there's a lot more muck to be uncovered.

We've all accepted, I think, that Murdoch wielded far too much power over politicians (and I imagine we'll find out why eventually) but I have two main concerns.

Firstly, I'm really worried about the role of senior police officers in all this. Hayman leaving the Met then immediately getting a job with Murdoch's rag and also one of Murdoch's employees being employed as a PR consultant to the Met. This is all additional to my worries abot rank and file officers getting bungs.

Secondly, I'm also concerned about the reports that Cameron allegedly told Murdoch he'd not only get his BSkyB takeover but that the government would ensure that the BBC lost a lot of its funding and therefore ability to carry out proper news reporting, to Murdoch's advantage, if Murdoch supported him in last year's General Election.

Ah, I see, it's Labour's fault. Gotcha.

I think the hypocrites on all sides of the political divide will face uncomfortable questions. I think this will run and run and I also think there's a lot more muck to be uncovered.

We've all accepted, I think, that Murdoch wielded far too much power over politicians (and I imagine we'll find out why eventually) but I have two main concerns.

Firstly, I'm really worried about the role of senior police officers in all this. Hayman leaving the Met then immediately getting a job with Murdoch's rag and also one of Murdoch's employees being employed as a PR consultant to the Met. This is all additional to my worries abot rank and file officers getting bungs.

Secondly, I'm also concerned about the reports that Cameron allegedly told Murdoch he'd not only get his BSkyB takeover but that the government would ensure that the BBC lost a lot of its funding and therefore ability to carry out proper news reporting, to Murdoch's advantage, if Murdoch supported him in last year's General Election.

Is the second point conjecture?

Is the second point conjecture?

I did say allegedly! It's conjecture on my part from reading various articles but here are excerpts from a couple of articles that support my suspicions, together with links to the full articles. But it's also a view that I've heard on broadcasts during the past week or so.

David Cameron had barely unpacked his bags at Number 10 in May when who should pay him a visit entering via the backdoor? Rupert Murdoch.

The suspicion has to be that what they talked about was how Cameron could re-pay Rupert for the vocal support the UK’s most popular daily newspaper had given the Tories ever since it turned on Gordon Brown the day after his Labour Party conference speech in September 2009

from http://blogs.pressgazette.co.uk/editor/2011/03/04/bskyb-deal-murdoch-should-make-undertakings-to-secure-political-independence-of-the-sun/

What can David Cameron do for Rupert Murdoch in return for the media mogul granting him support by The Sun?

Well, there are two key areas on which the two men appear to be in broad agreement: the BBC is too big and Ofcom is too powerful.

They have both made it clear in recent months that they are singing from the same hymn book. Rupert's son, James (aka His Master's Voice), made a scathing attack on the BBC at the Edinburgh TV festival in August.

from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2009/oct/02/davidcameron-rupert-murdoch

I did say allegedly! It's conjecture on my part from reading various articles but here are excerpts from a couple of articles that support my suspicions, together with links to the full articles. But it's also a view that I've heard on broadcasts during the past week or so.

David Cameron had barely unpacked his bags at Number 10 in May when who should pay him a visit entering via the backdoor? Rupert Murdoch.

The suspicion has to be that what they talked about was how Cameron could re-pay Rupert for the vocal support the UK’s most popular daily newspaper had given the Tories ever since it turned on Gordon Brown the day after his Labour Party conference speech in September 2009

from http://blogs.pressgazette.co.uk/editor/2011/03/04/bskyb-deal-murdoch-should-make-undertakings-to-secure-political-independence-of-the-sun/

What can David Cameron do for Rupert Murdoch in return for the media mogul granting him support by The Sun?

Well, there are two key areas on which the two men appear to be in broad agreement: the BBC is too big and Ofcom is too powerful.

They have both made it clear in recent months that they are singing from the same hymn book. Rupert's son, James (aka His Master's Voice), made a scathing attack on the BBC at the Edinburgh TV festival in August.

from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2009/oct/02/davidcameron-rupert-murdoch

Thanks....yep, I kind of thought as much.....Mr Peston had a big argument with Murdoch junior over James vies of the BBC. I have a feeling you are correct. Its a dirty world

Really? I thought you were making points about how downsizing the BBC was a favour for Murdoch by nasty Dave?

I think it was about 'big' in the sense of influential (although in my view that's debatable - at least there is competition in televised news) with its radio and tv as well as internet coverage. Obviously 'downsizing' would impact on its influence, but I don't think he was that concerned about it being bloated. I took bloated to mean there were too many managers. If that's not what you meant, then apologies.

Ah, I see, it's Labour's fault. Gotcha.

Where have I said it’s all Labour’s fault.

What I don't like is hypocrites, whether they’re Labour or Tory.

Brown is a hypocrite, plain and simple. Steve Coogan is a hypocrite, ranting against the Murdoch empire, whilst taking money off them to star in films. Keith Vaz is a hypocrite, fiddling his expenses whilst posturing and preening in the commons. Ed Milliband calling for a “judge led enquiry”. No judge led the enquires into Kelly’s death & sexed up dossiers.

Finally Brookes should go because it happened “on her watch”. Well Tory and Labour MP’s fiddled expenses and broke the law under Cameron and Brown’s watch, why didn’t they resign?

Most people are hypocrites. Enjoy Planet Earth.

And, everyone is corrupt. The only debate on that score is what the price is.

This is really a great thread, I agree with about 90% of the things that every posts. God bless Murdoch, he's brought consensus back to the UK.

Now, how do we get rid of the whole damn stinking festering pit of the lot of them. Dodgy Dave, Point scoring Millibean and Drama Queen Gord can go after Murdoch. he can go after he exposes the real truth behind the whole banking scandal that has ruined so many lives, and THEY can go AFTER the idiots that tried to force through the Eu integration & Euro before the EU & it's economies were ready for it.

Then we can start again at fighting the a**holes in the rest of the planet who made us live in the Matrix...

Oh krap, that came out like David Icke. It was meant to sound like Rise Up & kick ALL the crooks & slimeballs &W2FM merchants out. Oh krap I sound like a student.

OK whatever

And, everyone is corrupt. The only debate on that score is what the price is.

This is really a great thread, I agree with about 90% of the things that every posts. God bless Murdoch, he's brought consensus back to the UK.

Now, how do we get rid of the whole damn stinking festering pit of the lot of them. Dodgy Dave, Point scoring Millibean and Drama Queen Gord can go after Murdoch. he can go after he exposes the real truth behind the whole banking scandal that has ruined so many lives, and THEY can go AFTER the idiots that tried to force through the Eu integration & Euro before the EU & it's economies were ready for it.

Then we can start again at fighting the a**holes in the rest of the planet who made us live in the Matrix...

Oh krap, that came out like David Icke. It was meant to sound like Rise Up & kick ALL the crooks & slimeballs &W2FM merchants out. Oh krap I sound like a student.

OK whatever

I fear we have still only seen the tip of the iceberg yet. Something tells me that there are a lot more revelations to come.

What we are seeing being played out by NI, the Met police, Cameron, Miliband, and many many others, is a combined game of chess and musical chairs. All of the players are trying to position their pieces on the board in such a way that it will minimise their chances of being left without a chair when the music stops.

I fear we have still only seen the tip of the iceberg yet. Something tells me that there are a lot more revelations to come.

What we are seeing being played out by NI, the Met police, Cameron, Miliband, and many many others, is a combined game of chess and musical chairs. All of the players are trying to position their pieces on the board in such a way that it will minimise their chances of being left without a chair when the music stops.

Or left without having any REAL sh1t on them when it all hits the fan.

Keep harking back, so much more to come and there will be dirty retaliation as well. IMHO still best not to politicise it or even take sides, just watch and be horrified, comment and try and work out what next.

Interesting development.

I wonder how much she will confess to, and how much she will try and pin on other people to cover her own backside.

It will be even more difficult for the Select Committee (or whatever it is) to question her. She can argue that, owing to her arrest, she can't say anything subject to the police enquiry.

Commentators are suggesting that it was a news manipulation by the Met to deflect attention from all the stinky stuff about Police Commissioners getting freebies at Champneys.

doubt if she will appear infront of the select committee now

Which is why Mark Lewis, the Dowlers' solicitor, is saying the arrest is 'deliberate' - to shut her up and avoid further embarrassment to the hopelessly corrupt, incompetent Metropolitan Police.

Edited by Verbal

It will be even more difficult for the Select Committee (or whatever it is) to question her. She can argue that, owing to her arrest, she can't say anything subject to the police enquiry.

Commentators are suggesting that it was a news manipulation by the Met to deflect attention from all the stinky stuff about Police Commissioners getting freebies at Champneys.

Which if that conspiracy theory is true will mean that it will simply continue to leak out in the press in ever more damaging fashion.

the mess expands. Now makes Murdoch's judgement look very poor having backed her to the hilt last week. His position at the top gets undermined again, Corporate America REALLY won't like that

Apparently the serious fraud office may well look into how the payments for the early court cases and the payments to police officers went through the books. Might have an 'Al Capone', i.e. undone by the bookkeeping, ending after all.

It's between him leaving and the lesser Murdoch being arrested as favorites for the next action.

Well, some on this site:

https://www.facebook.com/DavidCameronResignNow?sk=wall#!/BoycottNewsInternational

think Cameron will go. Can't see it myself but then, two weeks ago, I never would have guessed that all this slime would have been exposed.

So why has he resigned??? as nothing in his speech made it clear to me!!!!

I just have this funny feeling that we will never get to the bottom of this whole scandal and things will be covered up by various parties.

Well he has accepted thousands of pounds worth of "hospitality" from various guilty parties and tried to block The Guardians original investigation for starters.

Edited by manji

Well he has accepted thousands of pounds worth of "hopitality" from various guilty parties and tried to block The Guardians original investigation for starters.

I worked for years in the public sector. We weren't allowed to accept any 'gifts' - not even a biro with a company logo on it!

Obviously different rules for the top brass.

So why has he resigned??? as nothing in his speech made it clear to me!!!!

I just have this funny feeling that we will never get to the bottom of this whole scandal and things will be covered up by various parties.

Apparently Guardian has info to be published this week on Stephenson's ties with Neil Wallis that make it untenable for him to stay.

Nice dig in his resignation speech at Cameron

"Once Mr Wallis's name did become associated with Operation Weeting, I did not want to compromise the Prime Minister in any way by revealing or discussing a potential suspect who clearly had a close relationship with Mr Coulson. I am aware of the many political exchanges in relation to Mr Coulson's previous employment - I believe it would have been extraordinarily clumsy of me to have exposed the Prime Minister, or by association the Home Secretary, to any accusation, however unfair, as a consequence of them being in possession of operational information in this regard. Similarly, the Mayor. Because of the individuals involved, their positions and relationships, these were I believe unique circumstances."

Sir Paul Stephenson (cop) has resigned!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14180043

Jeez! Who next?????

The way this may be going - who knew what when there could be a real major disaster coming up, if it ever comes out that Cameron really did have evidence and still employed Coulson.

Still think it has further to go and could go either way. A retaliation against Brown or...

Well he has accepted thousands of pounds worth of "hospitality" from various guilty parties and tried to block The Guardians original investigation for starters.

Fully aware of that, but he makes no mention of it in his resignation speech. His speech sounds like Couldon Mk II, "I have done nothing wrong, honest, I'm just going as I'm a distraction!!!".

NI said yesterday on the lines that, no-one should be exempt from investigation.

Seems to me they are sending out a warning to many at the top that if they go down the lot will.

They will cover it up as too many in high places are vulnerable.

The way this may be going - who knew what when there could be a real major disaster coming up, if it ever comes out that Cameron really did have evidence and still employed Coulson.

Still think it has further to go and could go either way. A retaliation against Brown or...

Sunday Times ran a big piece on this saying where is the evidence for his allegations. I have a feeling that Brown could have overreached himself and may end up getting shafted by NI.

R5 said this morning that the US dept of justice had been in touch with the UK serious fraud office regarding payment to police as that actually breaks US on bibery and corruption by a US based company.

Been mentioned lots of times, it is the FCPA Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. It applies to any subsidiary of any US listed company. More to the point, it is a legal condition of accepting employment that new employees are made aware of the act and trained in it.

One of our guys is off in the UK sitting through it this week. There was no excuse for the NDA's - the money was paid Clifford & Taylor and the details not divulged to the US Authorities. Slam Dunk, "You're OUTTA there"

SOX issues & Invoice/receipt and purchase requisition approvals will come next

Sunday Times ran a big piece on this saying where is the evidence for his allegations. I have a feeling that Brown could have overreached himself and may end up getting shafted by NI.

You are not allowed to post that Gordon may have overstepped the mark with his public statements. The mob will hound you down