New depths?

bridge too far

The contagion spreads still further.

Besides the Jobs at NOWT, BSB share price has dropped by almost 1 billion - that affects a great many people as their Pensions (oops lol what pansions) may have some shares in them

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8627025/James-Murdoch-could-face-prosecution-over-his-role-in-phone-hacking-scandal.html

James Murdoch may have actually (unwittingly) admitted to breaking the law and could face arrest

Now the US media is starting to wake up and Wall Street start to worry about AGM's Succession Plans and even relationships with Banks

James Murdoch, the chairman of News International, could be prosecuted over the telephone hacking scandal, a former home secretary said yesterday.

Brett Pulley, media correspondent for the Bloomberg news agency in New York, said: “If the fall out were to continue, my goodness, if it were to impact James, then we start to talk about it impacting News Corp’s succession plan, so that affects the company globally.”

Paul Farhi, media correspondent for The Washington Post, added: “There’s a whole domino effect. What else falls apart? Do bankers get nervous?

“He [Rupert Murdoch] had one flirtation with bankruptcy in the early 90s. He’s very dependent on the goodwill of Wall Street and of bankers.

I've seen this McMullen fella being interviews plenty over the past few days and he really isn't helping the NOTW at all. He reminds me of when Spitting Image used to charicature tabloid hacks as pigs. Coogan has it bang on.

Edited by the stain

I've seen this McMullen fella being interviews plenty over the past few days and he really isn't helping the NOTW at all. He reminds me of when Spitting Image used to charicature tabloid hacks as pigs. Coogan has it bang on.

Unbelievable how somebody can still try and justify this. They simple didn't get it. How can he trot out the "Stopping a Hitler" line as a defence for hacking the phones of Dead Soldiers.

Not often I say this about someone, but McCullen truly does deserve to Rot in Hell

Unbelievable how somebody can still try and justify this. They simple didn't get it. How can he trot out the "Stopping a Hitler" line as a defence for hacking the phones of Dead Soldiers.

Not often I say this about someone, but McCullen truly does deserve to Rot in Hell

There are various hacks commenting that he is not representative of the 'modern' NOTW but they don't appear to be in a hurry to put forward a replacement.

McMullen is almost as much a caricature of a tabloid journo as Danny DeVito in LA Confidential. But it's the earlier YouTube interview you posted which I find the most repugnant, with Roger Alton, a senior executive at The Times. Sneering at mumsnet and anyone else who called for an advertising boycott, and accusing them of destroying a newspaper is stupid, reprehensible, and evidence of precisely the kind of siege mentality and superiority complex within New International that caused this mess in the first place.

For all of Coogan's honourable and reasoned words, I have to say that I think Will Self was more on the button.

His reference to Wilde's "England being the native land of the hypocrite" and the "ubiquitous appettite for what the gutter press have peddled" had more resonance with me.

Cameron was foolish keeping Coulson on, but I dont think any of the past Pm's have anything to be proud about on this subject. He admits that the politicians were too kenn to get RM's vote to get the nations ones.

Bad judgement has been rife at the top since 1997

Cameron was foolish keeping Coulson on, but I dont think any of the past Pm's have anything to be proud about on this subject. He admits that the politicians were too kenn to get RM's vote to get the nations ones.

Bad judgement has been rife at the top since 1997

I think your tense is wrong on two fronts.

Firstly it wasn't that he was foolish keeping him on, he was foolish in appointing him the first place (the amount to which Cameron was warned and ignored this advice will be the next big story and there are already differing recollections of this).

Secondly, Murdoch's interference went way back before 1997 (e.g. It's the Sun Wot Won It was early 90's).

thanks - interesting but uncomfortable viewing

I think your tense is wrong on two fronts.

Firstly it wasn't that he was foolish keeping him on, he was foolish in appointing him the first place (the amount to which Cameron was warned and ignored this advice will be the next big story and there are already differing recollections of this).

Secondly, Murdoch's interference went way back before 1997 (e.g. It's the Sun Wot Won It was early 90's).

you are right he was wrong appointing him in the first place.

As for the date I dont go with that quite so much.

Under Thatcher ,it was the early days of people recognising the Suns power. Yes there were ties but unlike under the leadership of Blair etc, as soon as a transgression was made the person was out. Much to the political cost to the Tories. Parkinson a top Allie to MT, was sacked due to an affair with his secretary, that is nothing to what went on in the later governments and would hardly make the papers now. Mandelson and co were IMO reinstated and defended for much worse. The political spin at the time was supported by Blairs friendship with the Sun etc.

Iam not saying the Tories from 79 did not cosy up to the Murdochs but it was not the first priority, as in later days, as with the Suns support you were elected.

Too much power and influence was wielded by Murdoch and I for 1 was never comfortable with that.

Phil was right when he says looking in from abroad we do look a very corrupt nation, a very sad indictment of the new Britain.

Under Thatcher ,it was the early days of people recognising the Suns power. Yes there were ties but unlike under the leadership of Blair etc, as soon as a transgression was made the person was out. Much to the political cost to the Tories. Parkinson a top Allie to MT, was sacked due to an affair with his secretary, that is nothing to what went on in the later governments and would hardly make the papers now. Mandelson and co were IMO reinstated and defended for much worse. The political spin at the time was supported by Blairs friendship with the Sun etc.

Iam not saying the Tories from 79 did not cosy up to the Murdochs but it was not the first priority, as in later days, as with the Suns support you were elected.

Too much power and influence was wielded by Murdoch and I for 1 was never comfortable with that.

Phil was right when he says looking in from abroad we do look a very corrupt nation, a very sad indictment of the new Britain.

Disagree Nick. The whole cosy-ing up between politicians and the Murdoch press began with the close relationship between Margaret Thatcher and the then Sun editor Kelvin MacKenzie. Here's an excruciating taste of the mutual smarm:

http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/107430

This relationship certainly WAS one that was incredibly important to Thatcher, who face electoral annihilation after her first term, but for the Falklands War. The Murdoch press (famously with the Sun and its 'Gotcha' headline) was doing everything to buttress Thatcher's electoral support that it could, and both parties, Thatcher and the Murdoch press, saw themselves as in some kind of mutually dependent relationship.

This went even further in 1992, when the truly hopeless John Major faced a (admittedly over-confident) Neil Kinnock and a resurgent Labour Party. Much to everyone's surprise - including Major - the Tories won, and with a working majority (somewhat better than the last election!). The Sun couldn't be more explicit in its belief that its relentless campaigning for Major and against Kinnock was what single-handedly turned the electoral result. The paper trumpeted its owner's electoral interference with the famous headline on 12 april 1992: 'It's The Sun Wot Won It.'

From that awful moment in particular, the power of the Murdoch press was not only courted by politicians but actively feared.

Reminded me of this:

Interesting stuff on the telegraph site tonight.

Yates of the yard admits he looks a prat.

Rebekah Brooks warned she will be questioned under caution within the next few days.

MP Tom Watson wants Brooks, and Murdoch junior and senior to appear in front of the relevant MP committee.

Disagree Nick. The whole cosy-ing up between politicians and the Murdoch press began with the close relationship between Margaret Thatcher and the then Sun editor Kelvin MacKenzie. Here's an excruciating taste of the mutual smarm:

http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/107430

This relationship certainly WAS one that was incredibly important to Thatcher, who face electoral annihilation after her first term, but for the Falklands War. The Murdoch press (famously with the Sun and its 'Gotcha' headline) was doing everything to buttress Thatcher's electoral support that it could, and both parties, Thatcher and the Murdoch press, saw themselves as in some kind of mutually dependent relationship.

This went even further in 1992, when the truly hopeless John Major faced a (admittedly over-confident) Neil Kinnock and a resurgent Labour Party. Much to everyone's surprise - including Major - the Tories won, and with a working majority (somewhat better than the last election!). The Sun couldn't be more explicit in its belief that its relentless campaigning for Major and against Kinnock was what single-handedly turned the electoral result. The paper trumpeted its owner's electoral interference with the famous headline on 12 april 1992: 'It's The Sun Wot Won It.'

From that awful moment in particular, the power of the Murdoch press was not only courted by politicians but actively feared.

thats how i remember it from that dark period of that evil women and the corruption of our society by her big business elite friends began and carried on with the likes of blair.thank god cameron is takeing the torys back to the one nation party they once were.

Interesting stuff on the telegraph site tonight.

Yates of the yard admits he looks a prat.

Rebekah Brooks warned she will be questioned under caution within the next few days.

MP Tom Watson wants Brooks, and Murdoch junior and senior to appear in front of the relevant MP committee.

Yeah, but he still has a job....

and a small line in the same saying that Blair tried to shut Tom Watson up.... Careful of the stone throwing peeps

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8628052/John-Yates-I-failed-victims-of-News-of-the-World-phone-hacking.html

Oh more fun. I appears an internal NI report in 2007 that found evidence of widespread phone hacking and police corruption was suppressed (full story on the sunday times website apparently, don't pay so don't have full details).

Oh more fun. I appears an internal NI report in 2007 that found evidence of widespread phone hacking and police corruption was suppressed (full story on the sunday times website apparently, don't pay so don't have full details).

Make no mistake the NOWT was shutdown becase what has been revealed so far is just the tip of the iceberg. Expect senior politicians and even intelligence services to have been hacked. As the yanks say "we ain't seen nothing yet"...

Make no mistake the NOWT was shutdown becase what has been revealed so far is just the tip of the iceberg. Expect senior politicians and even intelligence services to have been hacked. As the yanks say "we ain't seen nothing yet"...

For once, I find myself agreeing with you (maybe I am getting old).

Not only do I also think that a lot more hacking will be uncovered, I also think that senior politicians of all parties and senior police officers will also be exposed because Murdoch has some sort of hold over them.

Maybe, then, Murdoch's true agenda will also be revealed.

For once, I find myself agreeing with you (maybe I am getting old).

Not only do I also think that a lot more hacking will be uncovered, I also think that senior politicians of all parties and senior police officers will also be exposed because Murdoch has some sort of hold over them.

Maybe, then, Murdoch's true agenda will also be revealed.

Correct. Is Murdoch a freemason (i'd be shocked if he wasn't seriously high up)? I sniff a New World Order conspiracy here.

Edited by dune

Masons are all about money, that's exactly what the whole things about. A reporter on the radio was saying tips that lead to the biggest scoops can get paid hundreds of thousands of pounds. That's a fair wedge to share around and the cops wouldve made sure they'd get a big slice of that.

Reading Jemima Khan's interview in the i newspaper, she amusedly points out that George Osbourne has been hacked and he was the same person who persuaded Cameron to hire Coulson.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Masons are all about money, that's exactly what the whole things about. A reporter on the radio was saying tips that lead to the biggest scoops can get paid hundreds of thousands of pounds. That's a fair wedge to share around and the cops wouldve made sure they'd get a big slice of that.

Reading Jemima Khan's interview in the i newspaper, she amusedly points out that George Osbourne has been hacked and he was the same person who persuaded Cameron to hire Coulson.

That's the biggest load of crap I've read on here for many a year. Masonry has nothing to do with corrupt Police Officers accepting bribes or illegal payments. Greed is the basis for that.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
So you are a mason then?

Yes, Third Degree Craft. And the only money ever talked about in the Lodge is the money collected for Charity.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
And there are no greedy masons?

It's not something which would attract greedy people to be fair. There are altogether far too many requirements to give money or time to attract them.

She don't half manage to get people under her spell doesn't she..

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/10/us-newscorp-murdoch-brooks-idUSTRE76925320110710

News Corp Chief Executive Rupert Murdoch exited his London home on Sunday with his arm around embattled newspaper chief Rebekah Brooks, and told Reuters that she was his first priority.

Murdoch, who flew into Britain earlier on Sunday to deal with an escalating phone-hacking scandal at his News of the World tabloid that Brooks used to edit, answered: "This one," gesturing at Brooks, when asked what his first priority was.

The two, both smiling, then went into the Stafford hotel opposite Murdoch's apartment in the upmarket Mayfair area of London.

Shady unwelcoming and dodgy people are the masons. That's my experience of the ones I have met I eastleigh Winchester an Southampton. Not people I have had any desire to associate myself with for extended periods.

My father was invited to join many years ago and turn it down. Having attended the funeral of a mason last year where only masons were allowed in a room to mourn the death, I am glad he did. Elitism like that is very strange.

Shady unwelcoming and dodgy people are the masons. That's my experience of the ones I have met I eastleigh Winchester an Southampton. Not people I have had any desire to associate myself with for extended periods.

My father was invited to join many years ago and turn it down. Having attended the funeral of a mason last year where only masons were allowed in a room to mourn the death, I am glad he did. Elitism like that is very strange.

My father also turned them down. He was uncomfortable with the idea of a secret society.