New depths?

bridge too far

She don't half manage to get people under her spell doesn't she..

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/10/us-newscorp-murdoch-brooks-idUSTRE76925320110710

Look, let's be brutally honest, i don't think there is a bloke on this forum who would complain at having Rebecca Brooks under him.

Hell even the fiance chirped "I would even though she's Ginger"

Meanwhile back on track, good to notice that many are coming to terms with the Masons and their role in running UK PLC. Now just need to get the rest of you to see how just about everyone at the top of Business. Politics Media etc is (except perhaps Tom Watson - MP not US Golfer) is in it to get what they can out of their time on this planet and sod everone else.

My grandad was a member of the Buffalo Club. From what I gather quite a few members of the armed forces were a few years ago.

http://www.raobgle.org.uk/

Indeed, I have Buffalo medals from the 1920's and 30's from what I believe to be my Great-Grandad, possibly one generation further back than that... I forget! Anyways, he served in WW1.

Anyways, back on topic. This has so much further to go. The Independent had a nice little article asking if this could be our Watergate and it does get you wondering... just how far are our governments up to their necks in this; I suggest quite far.

Bets are already going on David Cameron's resignation, though for now I suggest that is wishful thinking.

Also, interesting take from someone today on Rebecca Brooks still being in the job. Said that perhaps they are holding on to her for a bit longer so when the even worse stuff comes out, there is someone there to take the attack and resign, thus protecting the Murdoch's. Sometimes, I think though it is best just to resign now, rather than let your whole company fall to bits one by one day by day slowly moving up the ranks.

What sort of person is this Brooks?

Pottergate - the tapes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1406429/Pottergate-we-publish-the-secret-tapes.html

RB orders a reporter to walk around dressed as Harry Potter 3 hours after the collapse of the Twin Towers - 9/11 in the US?

And that last line from the Senior editor

CB: Well, to be frank, Greg, as far as my future at News International is concerned, I haven't toed the line for the editor's pet project. I didn't prance around while the World Trade Centre was being bombed, for her personal amusement. I can't just stroll in.

GM: Why not? Charles, that is what we do - we go out and destroy other people's lives.

And that last line from the Senior editor

Being honest, when I read that "Tweet" my first thought was that it must be a fabrication as it just sounded so cynical.

However, if it is proved to be true then it is such a terrible admission.

As for getting that bloke to prance around in a Harry Potter outfit, well words fail me (I'd expect Russell Brand to do something off hois own back, but not the Editor of a newspaper - tenuously speaking).

I think it's safe to assume that these rogues will have targetted everyone and everything that was in the news over the timeframe in question.

I agree.

As this has unwound from being a lone, rogue reporter to industrial hacking, I doubt if anyone who has been remotely newsworthy has escaped this breach of privacy.

I agree.

As this has unwound from being a lone, rogue reporter to industrial hacking, I doubt if anyone who has been remotely newsworthy has escaped this breach of privacy.

I'd love it if Polly's grotty Marxist rag was implicated.

See that NI have start ed to train their gunsights on Ed

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/attack-on-rebekah-brooks-comes-back-to-haunt-ed-miliband-2311635.html

What would you do if you were in Murcdochs position. Keep your head down and let things blow over or come out fighting and open the dossiers on all and sundry?

The best form of defence is always attack.

See that NI have start ed to train their gunsights on Ed

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/attack-on-rebekah-brooks-comes-back-to-haunt-ed-miliband-2311635.html

What would you do if you were in Murcdochs position. Keep your head down and let things blow over or come out fighting and open the dossiers on all and sundry?

It is ********,that these allagations are being made on the basis that they are "after" Milliband, these allagations have been around for ages.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/534769.stm

"They insist the latest details could only have been obtained by hacking into the party's bank accounts. "

Amanda Platell said on The Andrew Marr Show that this was suspected back when she worked for William Hague, and as the story says they appeared in Ashcroft's book 5 years ago.

Surely it is legitimate for a paper to investigate whether people's bank accounts were hacked into or an attempt made to hack into.

1547:

A BBC investigation has found the Sunday Times, also owned by News International, is alleged to have targeted the personal information of former Prime Minister Gordon Brown at the time he was Chancellor.

Documents and a phone recording suggest so called "blagging" was used to obtain private financial and property details.

It's been one of my bugbears and standard defences in the past few years that the UK is as corrupt as any potential Banana Republic.

But the story that really worries me today is this one

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8629461/News-of-the-World-closed-down-July-10-as-it-happened.html

Emails uncovered by News International in 2007 show that Clive Goodman, the tabloid's royal editor, asked the then editor, Andy Coulson, for £1,000 to pay for the information, which included the personal contact details of the royals, their friends and relations, according to Robert Peston, the BBC Business Editor.

The confidential directory is known as The Green Book and includes home numbers for senior royals including the Earl of Wessex and the Princess Royal as well as the landline and mobile numbers of all royal household staff.

It is stamped "secure" on the cover and when members of the royal household receive a copy they have to sign for it, Mr Peston said. The book is locked away when not in use.

This just asks So many other "Cynic in me" questions, not least of which is who else has been "bought".

Surely, if a close member of the Royal family security service can be "bought" for so little money then what the hell could other agencies or God forbid, Foreign Intelligence Services have bought access to over the years?

Oh and the Internal Business Process. Been waiting for evidence of that one. Again it had been bugging me (oops) as to how low level Journos could have run around with thousands of pounds in brown paper envelopes that belonged to a Large Multi-National Corporation - either they filed forged or false receipts or somebody HAD to sign off on the spending....

And somebody MUST have put receipts into the system to get past end of year audits. Or did they pay off the Auditors as well?

1547:

A BBC investigation has found the Sunday Times, also owned by News International, is alleged to have targeted the personal information of former Prime Minister Gordon Brown at the time he was Chancellor.

Documents and a phone recording suggest so called "blagging" was used to obtain private financial and property details.

So perhaps Ashcroft's allegations have some legs.

http://order-order.com/tag/tom-baldwin/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/11/phone-hacking-news-international-gordon-brown

"

Also in January 2000, one of the paper's reporters used a conman named Barry Beardall, who was subsequently jailed for fraud, to trick staff at Brown's solicitors, Allen & Overy, into handing over details from his personal file. A tape made by Beardall at the time reveals that he claimed to be an accountant from the "Dealson group of companies" and that they were interested in buying Brown's flat. Beardall also practised trickery in an attempt to provide Sunday Times stories about Blair, the then prime minister, and Labour's candidate for the mayor of London, Frank Dobson.

"

Barry the Briefcase!!

The difference being that there's been no evidence against Baldwin.......................yet.

He seems like a nice guy.............

"He hit the headlines in July 2003 when he became one of the first journalists to name David Kelly as Andrew Gilligan's source of information about the dossier into Iraqi weapons of mass destruction. As a result he was summoned as a witness before the Hutton inquiry into Kelly's death."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/dec/13/tom-baldwin-ed-miliband-spin-doctor

1645:

A well-placed source has told the BBC that in 2006, when she was editor of the Sun, Rebekah Brooks called the Browns to inform them she knew their son Fraser was suffering from cystic fibrosis. The Browns believe only medical staff treating Fraser had access to that information and friends of the family say Ms Brooks' call caused them immense distress since they were only just coming to terms with the diagnosis.

1645:

A well-placed source has told the BBC that in 2006, when she was editor of the Sun, Rebekah Brooks called the Browns to inform them she knew their son Fraser was suffering from cystic fibrosis. The Browns believe only medical staff treating Fraser had access to that information and friends of the family say Ms Brooks' call caused them immense distress since they were only just coming to terms with the diagnosis.

So the Editor of the time had information.

That information came from where?

And yet she had no knowledge of it's source?

This keeps going then Rupert Murdoch could be in real trouble for so publicly backing her. That leads to contagion in News International and into Wall Street.

There was worse to come. No sh1t Sherlock

1645:

Not enough distress to stop them attending Brook’s wedding in June 2009......

Or Brooks attending a "sleepover" of female friends of Sarah Brown's at Chequers in 2008.

They were obviously over the distress and had made up, but like the rest of the Labour Party are leaking stuff to show just how much distance is between themselves and Brooks. It's pitiful, they were in it as deep as the Torys.

I am disappointed that the Prime Minister is not in the House this afternoon, to anwer questions on such an important subject.

I was equally disappointed....to see Ed Miliband there, jumping upon the political opportunist band wagon again.

So, Mr Miliband, just why did you and your government take no action in 2003 when Rebekah Brooks admitted at a commons select committee that NI paid police for inside information?

Anyway, perhaps Ed should have cleared all this up with the Murdochs at last month's cocktail party....

Still, best not turn this into party political point scoring,...

;-)

I was equally disappointed....to see Ed Miliband there, jumping upon the political opportunist band wagon again.

So, Mr Miliband, just why did you and your government take no action in 2003 when Rebekah Brooks admitted at a commons select committee that NI paid police for inside information?

Anyway, perhaps Ed should have cleared all this up with the Murdochs at last month's cocktail party....

;-)

Then don't. I would have been just as disappointed had this whole affair arisen during a Labour government's tenure and a Labour PM was too scared to attend.

I'm also disappointed that some on here are seeking to deflect attention away from the despicable, sickening actions of Murdoch by attacking the opposition.

;-)

I'm enjoying Millibeans political misjudgement. This whole hacking thing will have blown over long before 2015, but News International will remember the opportunism and the machine will swing firmly against him and his party with an added impetus.

I'm also disappointed that some on here are seeking to deflect attention away from the despicable, sickening actions of Murdoch by attacking the opposition.

Is that the same Murdoch that Labour cozied up to for years and years, or a different one?

Was Murdoch aware, or conduct any of the hacking?

I presume you are so sickened that you wont watch Sky or a 20th Century Fox film?

Is that the same Murdoch that Labour cozied up to for years and years, or a different one?

I presume you are so sickened that you wont watch Sky or a 20th Century Fox film?

I won't pay for SKY, not because of Murdoch, but because it's a rip off.

You see, you're doing it again. Get off your back foot your Lordship.

Now confirmed. News Corp's bid for BSkyB referred to regulator...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14112465

It begs the question: why has it taken all of this scandal to force the government to do something that they should have done as a matter of course anyway?

Totally agree. This could all have been nipped in the bud 8 years ago when it first came to the government's attention.

I'm enjoying Millibeans political misjudgement. This whole hacking thing will have blown over long before 2015, but News International will remember the opportunism and the machine will swing firmly against him and his party with an added impetus.

Wishful thinking, and if true shows up News International for what it is, a protection racket.

Their conduct sort of reminds me of how J Edgar Hoover went about his business.

Why? You'd actually love it if more bad things were done by journalists? I don't understand. Can you explain what things you'd love that paper to have done? Please explain in as much detail as possible.

Unlikely, since it was the Guardian - and a Guardian journalist, Nick Davies - who've pursued this story through to its bitter end.

I don't think you understand very much about the different newspaper cultures - hardly a surprise.

Unlikely, since it was the Guardian - and a Guardian journalist, Nick Davies - who've pursued this story through to its bitter end.

I don't think you understand very much about the different newspaper cultures - hardly a surprise.

to be fair dunne does not believe in democracy and would be happy for a one party right wing state and party newspapers and no rights for the working people in this country.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8630482/News-of-the-World-scandal-deliberate-campaign-to-undermine-inquiry-say-police.html

OK so my version of a leaking on purpose conspiracy was off target (obviously) but now the Police say someone is deliberately leaking information to screw up their investigation......

That statement by the Met Police was very strongly worded. They certainly weren't pulling their punches with regards their attack on News Int'l.

It was quite a serious claim to suggest that they felt their investigation was being undermined by the actions from those down at Wapping.

It begs the question: why has it taken all of this scandal to force the government to do something that they should have done as a matter of course anyway?

As I understand it, up to today it didn't need to be referred as NI had agreed to some operational concessions. With all the other stuff coming out today they withdrew those concessions, and in effect forced the Government's hands. It was then left up to Camoron's stooge to try to save face in the Commons and make it look like it was his idea. What actually happens is that Murdoch has a year's grace to re-build his position. ( Funny how the name Rupert and bent business go together ).

Then don't. I would have been just as disappointed had this whole affair arisen during a Labour government's tenure and a Labour PM was too scared to attend.

Just a technical point of note.

All this DID arise under a Labour Government...

As in everything so far relates to 2003 - 2009 ish.

I said it earlier, glass houses and stone throwing right now is just moronic from all sides, this crosses all party boundaries, the utter lack of any moral standards in the search for "The Story" seems to spread across much of the media as well as well as seeing how simple it is to corrupt people.

let's all just stick to the "outraged" and "horrified" to watch the train wreck. Where it will stop and when, nobody knows.

Again, if it was SO easy to obtain confidential information on a senior Government Minister, what the HELL do we pay our Security Services to do?

As I understand it, up to today it didn't need to be referred as NI had agreed to some operational concessions. With all the other stuff coming out today they withdrew those concessions, and in effect forced the Government's hands. It was then left up to Camoron's stooge to try to save face in the Commons and make it look like it was his idea. What actually happens is that Murdoch has a year's grace to re-build his position. ( Funny how the name Rupert and bent business go together ).

And of course totally co-incidentally, the BSB share price has now dropped well below the last offer value.

Saved Murdoch around a billion.

Damned smart piece of business that, hell if this runs on for a year before he is cleared (with that much money involved anyone want to take a bet?) he could be billions in the pocket.

No not an opinion, just another thought that a cynic COULD come up with.

And of course totally co-incidentally, the BSB share price has now dropped well below the last offer value.

Saved Murdoch around a billion.

Damned smart piece of business that, hell if this runs on for a year before he is cleared (with that much money involved anyone want to take a bet?) he could be billions in the pocket.

No not an opinion, just another thought that a cynic COULD come up with.

This cynic had that Eureka moment this afternoon :)

This cynic had that Eureka moment this afternoon :)

Hey I got stick for the concept, but needed to find some links that show this could still be about money.

Meanwhile - won't have to worry so much about all this soon, looks like Italy are gonna go bust thanks to Silvio's dabbling (Oh there's another high level paragon of virtue).

Kaboom