Jos Hooiveld signs on loan

Ewell

Has anyone else noticed he's been given shirt number "26" leaving the number "5" shirt still available...?

Surely this is even more evidence that he's not the long-term centre back option and we're still looking.

I hadn't noticed, but I had been wondering if we'd do this.

• 1 month later...
I think you read between the lines of my post wrongly. I am in no way negative about this signing and may be the only person who actually thinks he will be fantastic for us. Have you seen the youtube clips? Also, the comments on the Celtic forums when they signed him? He can not go from being a fantastic player, team leader, great in the air to being crap after 7 games.

Put me on the record as saying he is exactly what we want.

I just thought it was interesting that Celtic were also after the same player as us before signing Jos. It shows that there must be a lot of similarity between the two players, especially when Kilgallon was on top of his game.

Well if we are saying I told you so, put me down too.

Good point as man management does appear a strength of NA,and if Hooiveld needs someone to build his confidence then I think NA a good mentor.

His time at Celtic does not concern me greatly as there may have been many factors involved, of more concern is that his club record appears a bit nomadic,but perhaps he will respond here.

Uncharacteristicly it appears I too offered a voice of reason.

Looks sh it e on paper, clearly fourth choice CB in the window at best after Jemal, Gorks and matey from Bristol who I have already forgotten. Fontaine. I'm sure the spinmeister generals on the forum will be spinning how fantastic this all is and how Cortese has played a blinder and this signing is absolute proof that we are standing up against agents and revolutionising football or something.

well, no need for the spin it seems

I think some people are starting to come round to other ways of thinking. Wait till the end of the window was the cry, well I have waited and frankly I'm underwhelmed. I just don't think Nigel is a big enough draw frankly coupled with our negotiating skills.

you seem pretty adamant there....did not even wait till he kicked a ball before having a dig at adkins

you seem pretty adamant there....did not even wait till he kicked a ball before having a dig at adkins

I'm not normall one to defend Hypo, but it's strange you left out his very first post in the thread on the subject which I would guess sums up his view on Hooiveld quite well. Here it is, in case you missed it.

Sounds pretty awful but prepared to see what he is like.

How terribly unreasonable.

Jos Hooiveld.....This was a fantastic bit of biz Cortese ..you have played a blinder and this signing is absolute proof that we are standing up against agents and revolutionising football....:smug:

Signed...

General ottery of st mary just outside of Sidmouth..:rolleyes:

or several deals were discussed and fell through and Jos was the best bet at the time of various players of equal

standard...Mind you Gorkss did look good but then Jos looks even better....So Cortese, Nigel , your coaching staff and scouts

a very big well done for picking up a diamond....

WIFM

I'm not normall one to defend Hypo, but it's strange you left out his very first post in the thread on the subject which I would guess sums up his view on Hooiveld quite well. Here it is, in case you missed it.

How terribly unreasonable.

and then went on to say that this signing shows nigel can't bring in decent players...

you are right I guess...it matters not as he is a very good player it seems which is it is all about

Edited by Thedelldays

and then went on to say that this signing shows nigel can't bring in decent players...

you are right I guess...it matters not as he is a very good player it seems which is it is all about

Well that's nonsense IMO, but if that's his opinion he's welcome to it. Don't see anything in writing off Hooiveld before he played though.

Was excellent tonight. V.impressed.

Put up with a lot of pressure and toughed it out well and coped confidently with losing his partner. Still needs to work on his distribution (did well to get himself in the right position in the first half but then thumped the ball across the goal staright to a Reading player, from which Kelv needed to pull off a great save).

And just to add to the debate;) Gorkss looked very good!

Must be a delicate situation for Hooiveld as he is doing well here and seemingly settling well, while his old club (who aren't too interested in his service) is leaking goals left and right. Problem is that he can't really speak his mind freely as he has to take into account the possibility that he'll be back in Glasgow after the loan has ended - he probably doesn't want to do a Redknapp by criticising his previous team before returning to them ;-)

well, no need for the spin it seems

Boo hoo, some one said something horrible on the internet and I want to prove them wrong. Who cares.

He looked sh i te on paper to me, just like De Ridder and Fox looked good. And Jemal and Gorks looked good and Fontaine looked shi te. That's why I said on paper, to distance my remarks from any knowledge whatsoever. I didn't claim to have any. The rest of that post was clearly a dig at the happy clappy drones than any comment on the player whatsoever.

Just opinion on a internet forum. God knows why a few loons want to turn it into "everything Southampton football club ever does or ever will do from now on is right" toss fest.

If people don't actually want to discuss anything apart from "how wonderful and correct everything is forever" then a football forum really isn't for you.

And if anyone is really that bothered what I think about Hooiveld then if you dig around there is a line or two from me about him having seen him live at Derby last week. Guess what, it's positive ladies. Well fancy that.

Jos has really done well so far and it's fantastic that he has got better as the games have gone on. Regardless, it appears he was fourth choice for us after the others and his performances dont change that. A big well done to jos and to those involved with getting him. We clearly saw something in him that Celtic missed.

Why do people think Gorkks was a preferred target? He obviously wasn't. We had a deal done but decided not to sign him. Warnock said so. Gorkks apparently said so. For whatever reason, and rightly or wrongly, all the evidence is that Gorkks was the last-resort option being kept on the back burner.

Jemal was clearly a target but that fell through.

I don't think we were ever seriously interested in Fontaine - something going on there, I think.

Why do people think Gorkks was a preferred target? He obviously wasn't. We had a deal done but decided not to sign him. Warnock said so. Gorkks apparently said so. For whatever reason, and rightly or wrongly, all the evidence is that Gorkks was the last-resort option being kept on the back burner.

I don't think we were ever seriously interested in Fontaine - something going on there, I think.

The logical thinking would be that Gorkss was ahead of Hooiveld. If he wasn't, why didn't we just go for Jos first of all rather than wait until the last day of the window? We got to an advanced stage of discussions with Gorkss before pulling the plug, and then moved on to Fontaine and finally Hooiveld on a last minute loan.

It's conceivable of course that discussions with Celtic were going on throughout the summer, though I consider it unlikely given the advanced stage of negotiations we got to with 3 different players that Hooiveld was anything other than the final choice.

The logical thinking would be that Gorkss was ahead of Hooiveld. If he wasn't, why didn't we just go for Jos first of all rather than wait until the last day of the window? We got to an advanced stage of discussions with Gorkss before pulling the plug, and then moved on to Fontaine and finally Hooiveld on a last minute loan.

It's conceivable of course that discussions with Celtic were going on throughout the summer, though I consider it unlikely given the advanced stage of negotiations we got to with 3 different players that Hooiveld was anything other than the final choice.

how do you know we never...?

I don't. Which is why I also said this part.

"It's conceivable of course that discussions with Celtic were going on throughout the summer"

Im sure I read somewhere that we were enquired early in the summer but were scared off by the price and that the option of a loan was not available until late August

Im sure I read somewhere that we were enquired early in the summer but were scared off by the price and that the option of a loan was not available until late August

Fair enough, not heard that myself. But I also heard we enquired about Gorkss extremely early in the window too, before the idea of a Puncheon swap found media attention.

Also, Adkins comment on the OS when signing Hooiveld was this:

We highlighted a number of players for this particular position at the start of the summer and we are delighted that Jos has decided to join us.

So who knows; and it matters not, really.

Pretty sure we were interested in Fontaine and he did have a medical at St Mary's. A medical that seems to have done it's job as he has not appeared since, until today. Well done medical staff, though I doubt it was difficult to spot, having such long term injury concerns with his ankle! Gorkks was never an intended target, only something that got thrown into the ring by Warnock because he could not afford Puncheon. It would not surprise me if we did not consider the option, but there is nothing to indicate we made any decision on Gorkks or actively went after him.

So going back to the list with the known central defenders we were after, we seem to have made an excellent choice for someone who was out of their depth in making acquisitions. How anyone thinks Jemal would fit in with that attitude is beyond me. Any fan has the right to feel underwhelmed by a player acquisition, but they deservedly look like right thwats when the underwhelmed becomes the now popular choice. Even to the extent that Jose would not come out shining on a 1:1 pole from those same detractors.

Bit of a waste of time getting "done deals" sorted with players that aren't preferred targets isn't it? No wonder it took us to 10:55pm on deadline day to sign a centre back.