Jos Hooiveld signs on loan

Ewell

Just remind me which of you preaching this "we won't break the bank, being sensible, evil agents, held to ransom, sustainable club" stuff were the same ones saying we will be playing Champion's League football in a 45,000 seater stadium in the next few years?

Those two things are completely mutually exclusive so do remind me which route you are proposing the club should follow.

And before anyone starts having a pop, I think managing the club sustainably is absolutely the right thing to do. But I also think that a result of that is we will never, ever be a Champions League club, which is absolutely fine by me.

I'm with you 100%, we are not EVER going to be big enough to be a champions league club even if we were able to fill a 45,000 seater stadium. We are completely in the wrong location to do it for a start so unless we were to get an owner that wanted to subsidise us as a plaything then I'm afraid that level of ambition will only result in disappointment for fans who believe in it in my opinion.

As for our transfer window, while I would have loved us to buy a top CB and striker for this level and capable of stepping up to the PL, I think the sums of money being paid in this window (and therefore wages being paid to reflect that) for players that are largely unproven or only proven at CCC level are simply being over-inflated by WHU and Leicester and their sh** or bust approach to transfers. Add to the mix that clubs and players know we have just gained £12m for AOC and I think it means we are being asked to pay OTT for transfer fees, wages or both hence the reason some deals may have fallen through.

Currently, we are in the top 2, have a decent goalscoring record and defensively have not looked so bad that we think we will concede every time the opposition attacks so the balance is not bad in the squad therefore we should only spend a big fee if the player is right in terms of transfer fee, wages and their ability to fit in.

Personally, I'm happy enough with the business in this window (Cork is excellent, De Ridder looks pretty useful, Fox has a decent reputation at this level). We have also signed many players to new deals which aids stability for the club.

I wish the new CB well. I have never seen him play but will get to shortly and will judge then. In the meantime, I'm happy that NC and NA know what they're doing simply because to date they have done nothing wrong and are delivering success within sensible bounds. I'm not a happy clapper, just a fan that wants us to do as well as we can whilst not getting ripped off in the transfer market. If the definition of that means not signing the likes of Beckford, J Rod, Maynard etc for £5-6m when we already have forwards doing the business then that's me.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2438114,00.html

Well some seem a little underwhelmed, which is a shame really in my opinion.

Who really cares what celtic fans think? they are useless sweaty bastards hell bent on raging some pre-historic war on their neighbours.

As Matt Le God quite rightly pointed out, they have only seen him play a handful of times at home in emphatic victories.

He has great experience, well travelled in Europe and is keen to take his opportunity at St.Marys unlike many of the other players we have been linked to and subsequently turned down for for 'personal terms' (£££££££) etc... **** em! the team is more important!

and what a fantastic quote from old Nige:

"Jos adds something different as he has great experience and can pass the football."

Great to hear he can pass the football Nige!

Welcome aboard the bus Jos, take a seat and enjoy the ride!

I think you read between the lines of my post wrongly. I am in no way negative about this signing and may be the only person who actually thinks he will be fantastic for us. Have you seen the youtube clips? Also, the comments on the Celtic forums when they signed him? He can not go from being a fantastic player, team leader, great in the air to being crap after 7 games.

Put me on the record as saying he is exactly what we want.

I just thought it was interesting that Celtic were also after the same player as us before signing Jos. It shows that there must be a lot of similarity between the two players, especially when Kilgallon was on top of his game.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2438114,00.html

Well some seem a little underwhelmed, which is a shame really in my opinion.

Who really cares what celtic fans think? they are useless sweaty bastards hell bent on raging some pre-historic war on their neighbours.

As Matt Le God quite rightly pointed out, they have only seen him play a handful of times at home in emphatic victories.

He has great experience, well travelled in Europe and is keen to take his opportunity at St.Marys unlike many of the other players we have been linked to and subsequently turned down for for 'personal terms' (£££££££) etc... **** em! the team is more important!

and what a fantastic quote from old Nige:

"Jos adds something different as he has great experience and can pass the football."

Great to hear he can pass the football Nige!

Welcome aboard the bus Jos, take a seat and enjoy the ride!

NA seems to be intimating that a passing CB is not part of the way Celtic play hence the fact they didnt use him!

A bit of a swipe at their style to explain his signing!

Some of the people on here really take the ****. 2 years ago we were bottom of league 1, if Marcus hadnt taken over we would probably be in the conference now. Some people are never happy!

We could go and blow loads of money on players we don't need ala Burley & Wilde 2006, or we could not. I know what I prefer

Some of the people on here really take the ****. 2 years ago we were bottom of league 1, if Marcus hadnt taken over we would probably be in the conference now. Some people are never happy!

We could go and blow loads of money on players we don't need ala Burley & Wilde 2006, or we could not. I know what I prefer

Good post!

NA seems to be intimating that a passing CB is not part of the way Celtic play hence the fact they didnt use him!

That's not the way I read it. The "adds something different" part definitely applies to what he'll be bringing to Saints. I doubt if Adkins intended any criticism but I've seen both Martin and Seabourne pick the wrong pass or lose the ball when under pressure.

I find it interesting that he was lent out to FC Copenhagen. They're a decent club who play a passing game.

That's not the way I read it. The "adds something different" part definitely applies to what he'll be bringing to Saints. I doubt if Adkins intended any criticism but I've seen both Martin and Seabourne pick the wrong pass or lose the ball when under pressure.

I find it interesting that he was lent out to FC Copenhagen. They're a decent club who play a passing game.

Exactly. If he came straight from Copenhagen I'm sure more people would be more optimistic about this signing. They are champions league regulars and are certainly no mugs. To write him off or to already start referring to him in a derogatory way (Celtic reject ect) based on a handful of Celtic games (where they won them all I think) is stupid.

Some fans just can't get away from the big name/big money = success attitude. Therefore they spend their whole time being "underwhelmed" or "dissapointed". Going back to last year it only took a rumour of MON or KK to be Saints manager for people to be dissapointed with NA....and that hasn't turned out to too badly so far has it?

seems a replacement for Pulis

http://www.monthehoops.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11932&page=2

But time will tell

hope he succeeds

How many champions league games has Pulis been involved in? How many titles has Pulis won? In fact how many games has Pulis played in his entire "career"? Branding him the new Pulis based on the opinions of some fans who have only seen him play a handful of times is ridiculous. I'm not saying he will be great but unless the guy has a blinder in every game he plays some on here will already be gunning for him.

Fans of Celtic and Rangers have ridiculously high expectations. Just cos they win SPL titles, Scottish Cups and have experience in Europe they think they are on a par with Man United and Chelsea.

I may have my doubts about this loan, but it won't be swayed one way or another by what's written on the Celtic boards.

extremely pleased, we've signed someone other than Puncheon and Seaborne for fans to moan at.

On a serious note we now have 5 centre backs. Are we intending on loaning Martin out as he needs games if he is ever going to improve.

He wasn't our first target but I'm satisfied with the signing. At 6 ft 4 ins he seems the ideal partner for Fonte, being a more mobile version of Jaidi.

Has had success in Scandanavia, didn't work out at Celtic but maybe if he plays alongside an ideal partner (ie. Fonte) he may flourish?

His height is going to be handy for a start, shame we couldn't have signed him for the Swindon game to try him out but he's more experienced than Martin/Seaborne and I should think he's more mobile than Jaidi

I look forward to seeing him play

Interesting that it's just mentioned as a loan and not a loan with an option to buy. Not saying that's not potentially an option, but it's usually stated explicitly so it looks like perhaps we're waiting until January to see who/what we need to strengthen at that time.

Saw that! Could be that our real target isn't available at this time but could become son in January.

Saw that! Could be that our real target isn't available at this time but could become son in January.

Finally someone posting with some common sense.

This signing screams out that we were unable to get the player we wanted but feel we will be able to get them in January.

So in the meantime at short notice we needed a quality CB on loan until January and hence we've picked up Hooiveld, top centre back with Premier League experience.

Can't believe the number of people on this thread who would rather have us spunk money up the wall on players on 3rd or 4th choice players.

This signing screams out that we were unable to get the player we wanted but feel we will be able to get them in January.

So in the meantime at short notice we needed a quality CB on loan until January and hence we've picked up Hooiveld, top centre back with Premier League experience.

Can't believe the number of people on this thread who would rather have us spunk money up the wall on players on 3rd or 4th choice players.

I agree,

There are people on this forum who have probably slit their wrists because we didn't sign John Terry. We obviously didn't get any of our first choices but Hooiveld is the type of player we need, and even if he isn't any good he'll be gone in January.

Jos goal:

The one I liked was this one:

Not so much for Jos' thunderbolt freekick which leads to the goal...but more for the comments by Celtic fans before they decided he was tosh!

Cannae wait for the big man to pull on the red and white stripes and hopefully prove a few doubters wrong!

Welcome aboard the Bus Jos, you may be only a foot passenger at the moment. Now its up to you to get yourself a seat by January. must admit I wasn't overly impressed at the time I heard about it, but hey ho NA want's him its only a loan & he may prove to be a very astute piece of business. We are not desperate for players, there is a loan window to come & we've not let ourselves be ripped off for the likes of J Rod & Maynard. Also we have our powder dry for January the likes of Maynard will be in the lats 6-months of their contract & will be more cost affective!

Edited by Under Weststand

As I posted earlier........

......he may well be only a stop-gap until Nige signs his preferred option of Fontaine in January; It has stuck in my mind that the official line was one of both parties agreed not to pursue this move further AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME.

He was a Tony Mowbray signing so you know he can play in the way NA wants him to. Lennon has a very different style to TM and NA.

I can't honestly say that this signing excites me in any way. The fact that it is only a loan deal also kind of indicates to me that Adkins isn't too sure of him either. In fact, he may well be only a stop-gap until Nige signs his preferred option of Fontaine in January; It has stuck in my mind that the official line was one of both parties agreed not to pursue this move further AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME.)

However, as he is now on the bus, I really do hope he turns out to be more Lundekvam than Liptak, cemments his place in the team, and helps it to keep even more clean sheets than last season.

It's always much better if the previous fans are spitting feathers over the player leaving, but I don't see him being that far off, otherwise he would never have been brought in. Being Dutch, I fully expect he will be able to pass the ball out from the back with ease. I remember when Jan-Paul Saeijs came to Saints, very unimpressive history and turned down by league 1 clubs, but that was a pleasant surprise. If the medical staff were unsure when Fontaine could fully contribute, this makes sense. One interesting point (maybe not) is all the CB's seriously considered were left footed.

Can't get in a very poor Celtic side, or discarded by a very poor manager who is also a very poor judge of a footballer?

Adkins or Lennon's observations - I know who I'd trust.

But still, let's write him off from the get go, eh?

Celtic poor? They made mincemeat of us when they last played us in pre-season.

Why do NA and NC bother having players watched getting reports and assessing their ability to fit into our team structure when they could just start a rumour and base their player selection on the views aired on this forum [admittedly by people who have never seen them play]! Can't we give him at least one game before writing him off? If he's sh*t I'm sure NA will notice in training and not select him.

Despite being underwhelmed, I've got a feeling he'll do quite well and might be just what we need. Yes, it's not the most exciting signing in the world, but let's get behind the lad the monet he steps on the pitch for us.

If he steps on our Monet we'll have to put that bloody train picture back up instead. I think we can all agree that would be a step backwards.

I will give Hoos the benefit of the doubt, but my celtic supporting mate responded as follows when I asked what he was like

Hoovsis the worst defender ever to wear a celtic shirt . says it all really at least he is only on loan

maybe our real signings will be revealed at the open training session this morning

That is total nonsense , There are a list of them that are worse than JH , Including the present holders of Centre Half shirts in Mastorjvic and Loovens. That is from someone who watches most of Celtics games

I am just back home and catching up with this thread which I left last night. I have been in Glasgow and Caught up this evening with a pal in Glasgow who works in public relations with Celtic. He told me Saints had been enquiring about JH for a while but were not overkeen on Celtics valuation of £2mill. Hence the reason it became a deadline day loan signing as Lennon wants rid and it was decided by the club that Saints could take him on a try before you buy basis. He also said that if he is a player that makes it at SFC , and he see's no reason to think he wont, then he will cost Saints big money in January. Also interestingly he said we made enquiries about Samaras but sammy wasn't interested in Saints.

Make of it what you will

Edited by saintstr1
spelling

I am just back home and catching up with this thread which I left last night. I have been in Glasgow and Caught up this evening with a pal in Glasgow who works in public relations with Celtic. He told me Saints had been enquiring about JH for a while but were not overkeen on Celtics valuation of £2mill. Hence the reason it became a deadline day loan signing as Lennon wants rid and it was decided by the club that Saints could take him on a try before you buy basis. He also said that if he is a player that makes it at SFC , and he see's no reason to think he wont, then he will cost Saints big money in January. Also interestingly he said we made enquiries about Samaras but sammy wasn't interested in Saints.

Make of it what you will

£2m for a player Lennon wants rid of,and many of their fans don't think can even kick a ball.I'm not too bothered by Lennon's opinion,blokes a knob, or the Celtic fans who have hardly seen him play by the manager who brought him in Mowbray,who does play good football,or possibly in his best position (hasn't he played LB rather than CB for Celtic when selected?).

Of course had we paid £2m many on here would be hailing this as an astute signing and answer to our problems.

Have to admit to being disappointed we did not sign Gorkss, but Hooiveld matches some of the criteria, left sided,6'4",so lets give the bloke a chance and a welcome on to the bus.

Looking on the bright side, if it does not work out then he's back to Glasgow in January,and at least some people might appreciate Seasborne a bit more.

Edited by Badger

He has only played 4 games at home for Celtic. Most of their fans haven't seen him play enough to warrant anything even close to a valid opinion on him as a player.

Those four games saw a 9-0 win, a 4-0 win, a 2-2 draw and a 2-1 win in the Champions League against Braga who went on to be runners up in the EUROPA League.

I don't think these stats tell the whole picture - many Celtic fans never forgave him for his role in their 3-0 loss to Braga in the first leg of the qualifying round for the Champions League which basically made the home leg and victory irrelevant. And before you say anything, the match probably would have been televised.

I don't think these stats tell the whole picture - many Celtic fans never forgave him for his role in their 3-0 loss to Braga in the first leg of the qualifying round for the Champions League which basically made the home leg and victory irrelevant. And before you say anything, the match probably would have been televised.

One game doesn't define a player, good or bad. I can see why he'd be a whipping boy after that because we'd do the same to most of ours. But i still think that his time at Celtic isn't any indication as to how he does here. How many players have a nightmare somewhere but flourish after a move?...

One game doesn't define a player, good or bad. I can see why he'd be a whipping boy after that because we'd do the same to most of ours. But i still think that his time at Celtic isn't any indication as to how he does here. How many players have a nightmare somewhere but flourish after a move?...

Good point as man management does appear a strength of NA,and if Hooiveld needs someone to build his confidence then I think NA a good mentor.

His time at Celtic does not concern me greatly as there may have been many factors involved, of more concern is that his club record appears a bit nomadic,but perhaps he will respond here.

I've heard and read enough reports linking him to the Braga game, one of the biggest games of their season, that it is an important part of understanding what went wrong and in turn whether the hostility to him is justified or not. You're absolutely right: one game shouldn't define a player. As such, it's reassuring that some Celtic fans made their minds up for arguably the wrong reasons.

Given the fact that he was tainted by being Mowbray's player, he played so few games for Celtic and was involved in the Braga game, it makes it easier to draw a line under the negative comments and not extrapolate from them. And if as some of the reports suggest, Nige was tracking Jos for a while but was put off by the £2m price tag (who wouldn't be), perhaps this wasn't a panic decision after all. Another interpretation is that Nige simply took advantage of the deadline and Celtic's desperation to clear space and got a player he already wanted on more favourable terms.

Of course, it will be interesting to see what happens if we want to buy him in Jan - I can't see Celtic getting anything like their valuation or us buying him if they refuse to budge; either way, it will be a nice dilemma to have for it will have meant -regardless of whether he stays- that he's done a job for us.

I've heard and read enough reports linking him to the Braga game, one of the biggest games of their season, that it is an important part of understanding what went wrong and in turn whether the hostility to him is justified or not. You're absolutely right: one game shouldn't define a player. As such, it's reassuring that some Celtic fans made their minds up for arguably the wrong reasons.

Given the fact that he was tainted by being Mowbray's player, he played so few games for Celtic and was involved in the Braga game, it makes it easier to draw a line under the negative comments and not extrapolate from them. And if as some of the reports suggest, Nige was tracking Jos for a while but was put off by the £2m price tag (who wouldn't be), perhaps this wasn't a panic decision after all. Another interpretation is that Nige simply took advantage of the deadline and Celtic's desperation to clear space and got a player he already wanted on more favourable terms.

Of course, it will be interesting to see what happens if we want to buy him in Jan - I can't see Celtic getting anything like their valuation or us buying him if they refuse to budge; either way, it will be a nice dilemma to have for it will have meant -regardless of whether he stays- that he's done a job for us.

Good post.

Asking £2m for a player they payed £1.4m for, only played him 7 times, and sent him out on loan twice is crazy. No wonder NA/NC wouldn't pay that. I would be very surprised if we paid anything close to half of that, even if Jos proves to be better than Killer and Clause combined!