Jos Hooiveld signs on loan

Ewell

Only from the usual posters on here. Theuglyinside is largely abuse free because they can tolerate opinions which differ from their own. Similarly a large number on here are able to disagree and put their views rationally. OldNick, Franks Cousin and Minty are three such long standing posters who spring to mind. You would do well to take note of some of their behaviour.

:lol: You said exactly the same about me not long back (I'll have to look up the post) but that all went down the toilet when I had the temerity to call you on your constant negativity.

You really don't like it when people call you on that, do you? Every time someone takes issue with what you post, which is quite often, you start whining about the forum not tolerating different opinions.

It's your security blanket and you wheel it out when you inevitably lose your debates.

I'm sure Norwich said the same last season...

What, did they spend £6m on a striker?

They targeted specific players, from L1 and loans from the premiership. No big money signings, and I'm sure we'd have underwhelmed fans if we'd signed Russell Martin or Andrew Crofts for e.g.

I'd say our signings of Cork, De Ridder and Fox are on par or better than any business they did last summer. Team spirit and momentum can take you a long way.

But we just sold AOC for 12 million quid and we have a reserve team CB to show for it when what we desperately needed was real quality next to Fonte to form a partnership. We also have no competition for Lambert who if he gets injured will leave a gaping hole in our squad with little on the bench to really change a game.

Great start from the team but that makes it all the more infuriating that we haven't capitalised on it.

Nice to see I am getting a bit less abuse than normal. I have been totally consistent throughout the window, a quality permanent CB and optionally a striker was what was needed and for whatever reason, if we are honest with ourselves we haven't delivered in the market in that area.

I think some people are starting to come round to other ways of thinking. Wait till the end of the window was the cry, well I have waited and frankly I'm underwhelmed. I just don't think Nigel is a big enough draw frankly coupled with our negotiating skills.

You are the most negative person I've ever heard post on here, why don't you take a break from the forum, have a few months in the Priory or something, I've had kids that grizzled less than you ffs.

Edited by Gingeletiss

You are the most negative person I've ever heard post on here, why don't you take a break from the forum, have a few months in the Priory or something, I've had kids that grizzled less than you ffs.

Give the guy a break. He's devastated that we've signed a player on loan. Come on, he's going through an emotional time. He's underwhelmed, he's disappointed. We really need to support little hypo through this tough period.

Good transfer window.

We sold some players who did not want to be here and brought in some quality to the squad.

PMSL at the muppets crying into their milk because the CB we managed to sign is not a superstar on a fans forum.

There is still another month or more of loan window. We can still sign some more on a loan with an option to buy in January.

We now have 5 CB's that will get us through tyhe next few weeks

And sorry, I simply cannot see how Nicky Maynard can be worth the same money as Scott Parker

As one of few on this forum who has seen him play I can assure you that he is a great player. It is quite clear though that he has lost some confidence in Scotland. If Adkins can restore his confidence and get him to play at the level he did in Sweden, then I am sure he will a great player for us.

As one of few on this forum who has seen him play I can assure you that he is a great player. It is quite clear though that he has lost some confidence in Scotland. If Adkins can restore his confidence and get him to play at the level he did in Sweden, then I am sure he will a great player for us.

Hooray! Some positivity! Now the only thing left to moan about is the fact that we didn't get a marquee million pound striker in.

Good transfer window.

We sold some players who did not want to be here and brought in some quality to the squad.

PMSL at the muppets crying into their milk because the CB we managed to sign is not a superstar on a fans forum.

There is still another month or more of loan window. We can still sign some more on a loan with an option to buy in January.

And sorry, I simply cannot see how Nicky Maynard can be worth the same money as Scott Parker

Agree with everything there Phil. It would have been disastrous if we'd have done a Leicester and replaced the whole squad, we've been very clever and only added where we needed to. We're more than covered on the CB front now and as you say the only other position which might need a little extra is up top, and we still have time to bring in a loan. Who knows maybe a quality fringe player from the Prem?

Maynard would have been lovely, as would have Rodriguez, but not for the money that was being suggested.

This is a good signing. It's low risk, it hasn't cost us a transfer fee, and it fits the criteria we needed and that most people wanted - a big, strong, left footed centre back. Yes we were waiting for the marquee signing that never arrived, even I though we'd get one although you could consider Cork a pretty big signing at this level, and a striker, but now we can see how the current squad fares until January, then spend in the areas we need to strengthen.

Yes there's an air of disappointment, we were all expecting a bit more, but I'm glad the club didn't start throwing money around at any old player. It's a game of chess, tactically seeing our rivals strengths and weaknesses before check mating them in January. Leicester, it seems, have gone **** or bust. A tactic to appease the fans but that could ruin the club if they don't achieve promotion.

Remember, we're still new at this level, we've started well and expectations are high, but we already have a very good team. Remember also that the Premier Leagues 25 man squads have to be finalised by Friday, so the loan window will be rich pickings.

On a personal level, I'm content with our summer dealings, the only position I still think we're short in is a striker, but it's not like we don't have 3 good'uns already. We have more allure than most other clubs for loans too, so we're not completely cut off from new recruits.

Good transfer window.

i agree. It really is a bad idea, in general, for football clubs to buy players at the top of the market. At £5 m plus, Maynard is a big gamble...might pay off, might be very expensive. As people have said, its a team game, we look full of goals, and the loan window reopens shortly. Its really important to keep team spirit by not breaking the wage structure. if NC doesnt want to "do a Leicester", then fair play. this is a really tough year at the top of the nPC(much tougher than last year). A longer game may be whats needed.

Im Happy. Strengthened were it was needed and think the team is more than good enough to compete without having to splash out.

Unfortunately the club does not agree with you as it was trying to get in a top class striker and experencied CB but was that all show?

What we have got is the team which was runner up in League 1 plus Cork plus another 2 better LBs when we had already and extended the contract of another.

We obviously have lost OXO but replaced him with De Ridder hardly the actions of team pressing hard for promotion like some other clubs in the League - people may think they are stupid spending vast somes of money but at least they are being positive and giving it a go

When we were taken over by ML a billionaire most of us were no doubt expecting loads of money to be spent on new players and as Dell Days was saying we were the Man City of League 1 we are certainly not the Man City of the Championship but very much like the Lowe years of Southampton in the PL

However I dont think we are ready for promotion this season so of consolidation is fine by me

Onr point of interest to me is what is going to happen to the OXO money as if it is not spent it will be probably taxed

i agree. It really is a bad idea, in general, for football clubs to buy players at the top of the market. At £5 m plus, Maynard is a big gamble...might pay off, might be very expensive. As people have said, its a team game, we look full of goals, and the loan window reopens shortly. Its really important to keep team spirit by not breaking the wage structure. if NC doesnt want to "do a Leicester", then fair play. this is a really tough year at the top of the nPC(much tougher than last year). A longer game may be whats needed.

Perspective - proven quality. Maynard for 5mil or Robbie Keane for 3.6mil.

We don't have a game for 10 days, still plenty of time to bring in sensibly priced quality for Forest, and still have Barnard & Jaidi to return from Ankle & Knee Injuries respectively

Unfortunately the club does not agree with you as it was trying to get in a top class striker and experencied CB but was that all show?

What we have got is the team which was runner up in League 1 plus Cork plus another 2 better LBs when we had already and extended the contract of another.

We obviously have lost OXO but replaced him with De Ridder hardly the actions of team pressing hard for promotion like some other clubs in the League - people may think they are stupid spending vast somes of money but at least they are being positive and giving it a go

When we were taken over by ML a billionaire most of us were no doubt expecting loads of money to be spent on new players and as Dell Days was saying we were the Man City of League 1 we are certainly not the Man City of the Championship but very much like the Lowe years of Southampton in the PL

However I dont think we are ready for promotion this season so of consolidation is fine by me

Onr point of interest to me is what is going to happen to the OXO money as if it is not spent it will be probably taxed

won't be taxed if we are running at a loss.

Although I think that Jos could do Saints a job, I have to say, that I ****ing hate that guy. He used to play for Inter Turku which is the other club in my home town. The other is TPS which is my team. We have a quite intense rivalry between us, so you may understand why I don´t like that guy so much. Inter won the title 2008 and Jos was their best player in that year as he was year before when Inter won the Finnish league cup final against us. He was chosen twice the defender of the year in Finland (2007 and 2008). During those two years in Inter, he played all their games and was never substituted.

In year 2008 he signed for AIK Stockholm. I have a soft spot for Djurgårdens IF, so I was pretty ****ed off again, because Djurgårdens arch rivals are AIK.

By the way: He got caught drink driving when he played in Finland, so don´t buy him a beer...

He has only played 4 games at home for Celtic. Most of their fans haven't seen him play enough to warrant anything even close to a valid opinion on him as a player.

Those four games saw a 9-0 win, a 4-0 win, a 2-2 draw and a 2-1 win in the Champions League against Braga who went on to be runners up in the EUROPA League.

Thank you

Every forum should have a Mathew Le God statistics le god

And the question about five pages of Celtic fans.....?

So, given all that has happend to both our club, and the scum down the road, you would still have us spend beyond our means.....I give up! :facepalm:

Edited by Gingeletiss

So, given all that has happed to both our club, and the scum down the road, you would still have us spend beyond our means.....I give up! :facepalm:

and I'm also confused as to why fans seem to think we have to compete with WHU and Leicester straight away, haven't we just come up from L1? why are the expectations for us to go into another automatic promotion race? We'll see where this year takes us, but I'm certain promotion is not the be all and end all this season. (Much like Norwich last year)

He has only played 4 games at home for Celtic. Most of their fans haven't seen him play enough to warrant anything even close to a valid opinion on him as a player.

Those four games saw a 9-0 win, a 4-0 win, a 2-2 draw and a 2-1 win in the Champions League against Braga who went on to be runners up in the EUROPA League.

You could say the same about Saints fans and Pulis & Forecast...don't think we were too far wrong on those.

You could say the same about Saints fans and Pulis & Forecast...don't think we were too far wrong on those.

How many top-flight teams did they regularly play for? How many Champions League appearances did they make? It's embarrassing to hear a Saints fan compare those young reserve team players (one who came through the ranks at Spurs without ever making the grade, the other who would be nowhere without his Dad's name) to somebody who has played at a high level for years.

If Hooiveld had come straight from one of his previous clubs, rather than Celtic, we would be far more excited. It's only a bunch of forum users supporting a messed up, second-rate football club posting their judgement after very few games that has got us worried.

We wanted a big, strong, left-footed CB who can pass the ball. We have one, with experience at a decent level.

Don't forget the other players we have bought in the past who had questionable records at previous clubs. Chaplow, for instance.

Although I think that Jos could do Saints a job, I have to say, that I ****ing hate that guy. He used to play for Inter Turku which is the other club in my home town. The other is TPS which is my team. We have a quite intense rivalry between us, so you may understand why I don´t like that guy so much. Inter won the title 2008 and Jos was their best player in that year as he was year before when Inter won the Finnish league cup final against us. He was chosen twice the defender of the year in Finland (2007 and 2008). During those two years in Inter, he played all their games and was never substituted.

In year 2008 he signed for AIK Stockholm. I have a soft spot for Djurgårdens IF, so I was pretty ****ed off again, because Djurgårdens arch rivals are AIK.

By the way: He got caught drink driving when he played in Finland, so don´t buy him a beer...

Heir apparent to Claus then...

Lets give the lad a chance we have got him on loan till Jan that will give him time to bed in and show us his strengths, if he fits the bill he can stay on the bus if not he can get off at that stop. Not to much of a risk and it could turn out to be a winner.

No you couldn't. Seems to me that apart from a hiccup at Celtic, Jos had quite a good career formerly. Pulis and Forecast had done very little of note before we signed them.

Perhaps an example or two the other way around might be more apposite. Scott McDonald had done little here and was released by us, but shone with Celtic playing in the Champions league. Kevin Philips is another example. You see, it is possible for a player to crap at one club and to do well at another.

Everyone has been obsessing about height but it's clear that NA was looking for a big guy, who is left footed AND can play a part in our possession game, those guys aren't that easy to find and I like the sound of this guy more than Gorkss because it seemed clear that gorkss was weak in possession. Why not just give this guy a chance and reserve judgement till he's played a run of games?

Celtic fans seem notouriously hard to please and as mentioned elsewhere how many have actually seen him play?

Hooiveld might very well be a terrific signing for us, even though it is only on loan. He made an excellent name for himself here in Sweden 2009 when he was one of the key contributors when his club AIK become swedish champions. In fact, he played so well he became nominated to the "defender of the year"-award in swedish football. (An award who was won by swedish international Olof Mellberg)

I watched quite a lot matches when he played, and he impressed me a lot. A big and powerful player, with decent passing skills. Not the fastest defender you have seen, but not too slow either. I highly doubt he has become that much worse in just a few seasons, although injuries have trouble him a lot.

Hooiveld might very well be a terrific signing for us, even though it is only on loan. He made an excellent name for himself here in Sweden 2009 when he was one of the key contributors when his club AIK become swedish champions. In fact, he played so well he became nominated to the "defender of the year"-award in swedish football. (An award who was won by swedish international Olof Mellberg)

I watched quite a lot matches when he played, and he impressed me a lot. A big and powerful player, with decent passing skills. Not the fastest defender you have seen, but not too slow either. I highly doubt he has become that much worse in just a few seasons, although injuries have trouble him a lot.

Thanks for this,at least you can give an informed opinion ,as you've seen him....not a knee jerk reaction like some people.

I will give Hoos the benefit of the doubt, but my celtic supporting mate responded as follows when I asked what he was like

Hoovsis the worst defender ever to wear a celtic shirt . says it all really at least he is only on loan

maybe our real signings will be revealed at the open training session this morning

How many top-flight teams did they regularly play for? How many Champions League appearances did they make? It's embarrassing to hear a Saints fan compare those young reserve team players (one who came through the ranks at Spurs without ever making the grade, the other who would be nowhere without his Dad's name) to somebody who has played at a high level for years.

If Hooiveld had come straight from one of his previous clubs, rather than Celtic, we would be far more excited. It's only a bunch of forum users supporting a messed up, second-rate football club posting their judgement after very few games that has got us worried.

We wanted a big, strong, left-footed CB who can pass the ball. We have one, with experience at a decent level.

Don't forget the other players we have bought in the past who had questionable records at previous clubs. Chaplow, for instance.

You completely missed my point, but I hope you enjoyed letting off steam.

Only from the usual posters on here. Theuglyinside is largely abuse free because they can tolerate opinions which differ from their own. Similarly a large number on here are able to disagree and put their views rationally. OldNick, Franks Cousin and Minty are three such long standing posters who spring to mind. You would do well to take note of some of their behaviour.

What you would do well to take note of, Canada Saint is an ex Saints player that played alongside Mick Channon. Your crappy attitude and postings along with those of some others has led to other excellent posters like ex Saint Teddy Nutkins to leave this forum. I'd sooner read their informed intelligent comments about a game that you seem to know little about, or by the sound of it never played at any sort of decent level, but spout on endlessly with vacuous tripe.

Sounds familiar, taken from the Celtic forum:

Hooiveld was a mainstay in the AIK team that recorded a league and cup double in the Swedish season that finished recently. The 26-year old, who can also be pressed into action as a defensive midfielder, was one of the Stockholm club’s most consistent performers and looks to have his career back on track after failing to make it in Holland as a youth.

Having begun his career at Heerenveen, Hooiveld moved to Zwolle on loan. From there, the defender moved to Kapfenberg in Austria but only made 14 appearances .

Hooiveld’s future did not look promising but a move to Finnish side Inter Turku in 2007 began an upward trajectory. At the Veikkausliiga club, the defender established himself as a first team player and picked up a number of awards in his two seasons, including back to back Defender of the Year awards.

Swedish side AIK snapped up the centre-back in January 2009 and paired him with international defender Nils-Eric Johansson to great effect. The Stockholm club completed a league and cup double after beating rivals IFK Gothenburg in back to back matches at the climax of the season in November.

The Dutchman could help to solve what has become a problem position for Mowbray since he took over as manager at Parkhead. The Celtic manager has rotated Gary Caldwell, Glenn Loovens and Steven McManus in the centre-back positions but has been disappointed with some of the goals that have been conceded in the first half of the season.

Sheffield United defender Matthew Kilgallon had been linked with a move to Parkhead but announced this week that he would be remaining with the Yorkshire club until his contract expires at the end of the season.

No you couldn't. Seems to me that apart from a hiccup at Celtic, Jos had quite a good career formerly. Pulis and Forecast had done very little of note before we signed them.

Perhaps an example or two the other way around might be more apposite. Scott McDonald had done little here and was released by us, but shone with Celtic playing in the Champions league. Kevin Philips is another example. You see, it is possible for a player to crap at one club and to do well at another.

Look, it is quite an easy point to understand- my post was in reply to MLG's that stated that Celtic fans couldn't judge him because most wouldn't have seen him play - it is exactly the same prnciple with Forecast and Pulis as most Saints fans haven't seen them play, but still pass judgement on them. Doesn't matter what they may or may not have done previously, that's a separate point.

Look, it is quite an easy point to understand- my post was in reply to MLG's that stated that Celtic fans couldn't judge him because most wouldn't have seen him play - it is exactly the same prnciple with Forecast and Pulis as most Saints fans haven't seen them play, but still pass judgement on them. Doesn't matter what they may or may not have done previously, that's a separate point.

Well, you didn't express yourself very well, so that is the reason why both RobM and I argued the point. But nevertheless, it is still very valid for us to comment that the difference between Jos and Forecast and Pulis, is that at least he has had quite a decent past record, whereas neither of the other two have covered themselves in past glories.

Sounds familiar, taken from the Celtic forum:

Hooiveld was a mainstay in the AIK team that recorded a league and cup double in the Swedish season that finished recently. The 26-year old, who can also be pressed into action as a defensive midfielder, was one of the Stockholm club’s most consistent performers and looks to have his career back on track after failing to make it in Holland as a youth.

Having begun his career at Heerenveen, Hooiveld moved to Zwolle on loan. From there, the defender moved to Kapfenberg in Austria but only made 14 appearances .

Hooiveld’s future did not look promising but a move to Finnish side Inter Turku in 2007 began an upward trajectory. At the Veikkausliiga club, the defender established himself as a first team player and picked up a number of awards in his two seasons, including back to back Defender of the Year awards.

Swedish side AIK snapped up the centre-back in January 2009 and paired him with international defender Nils-Eric Johansson to great effect. The Stockholm club completed a league and cup double after beating rivals IFK Gothenburg in back to back matches at the climax of the season in November.

The Dutchman could help to solve what has become a problem position for Mowbray since he took over as manager at Parkhead. The Celtic manager has rotated Gary Caldwell, Glenn Loovens and Steven McManus in the centre-back positions but has been disappointed with some of the goals that have been conceded in the first half of the season.

Sheffield United defender Matthew Kilgallon had been linked with a move to Parkhead but announced this week that he would be remaining with the Yorkshire club until his contract expires at the end of the season.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2438114,00.html

Well some seem a little underwhelmed, which is a shame really in my opinion.

Who really cares what celtic fans think? they are useless sweaty bastards hell bent on raging some pre-historic war on their neighbours.

As Matt Le God quite rightly pointed out, they have only seen him play a handful of times at home in emphatic victories.

He has great experience, well travelled in Europe and is keen to take his opportunity at St.Marys unlike many of the other players we have been linked to and subsequently turned down for for 'personal terms' (£££££££) etc... **** em! the team is more important!

and what a fantastic quote from old Nige:

"Jos adds something different as he has great experience and can pass the football."

Great to hear he can pass the football Nige!

Welcome aboard the bus Jos, take a seat and enjoy the ride!

Welcome aboard the bus, Jos. Looking forward to seeing you play and forming my own opinion on your abilities. Hope you'll blend in well with the squad...

Good post,lets wait and see.

I don't care what the Celtic fans say,some have probably only seen him play a couple of times,at most.

Edited by surrey1saint

I can't honestly say that this signing excites me in any way. The fact that it is only a loan deal also kind of indicates to me that Adkins isn't too sure of him either. In fact, he may well be only a stop-gap until Nige signs his preferred option of Fontaine in January; It has stuck in my mind that the official line was one of both parties agreed not to pursue this move further AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME.)

However, as he is now on the bus, I really do hope he turns out to be more Lundekvam than Liptak, cemments his place in the team, and helps it to keep even more clean sheets than last season.