Saints Sign Reading Centre Back

Greenridge

Sounds like a good move....not sure why Reading would want to off-load a player who's played 8 times for their first team this season though....

It's not as if they need to ship players for financial reasons like we do.

Edited by trousers

FFS. This has Lowe's fingerprints all over it. The last CB we had from Reading was a useless twonk and why should we have their cast offs.

Bennett? Did he have one sh1te game, get left out for ages, and then played well for a few games before we had to let go of him, reluctantly as it transpired....

FFS. This has Lowe's fingerprints all over it. The last CB we had from Reading was a useless twonk and why should we have their cast offs.

I won't be attending until we buy better players. We're destined for the drop, mark my words.

Lowe Out.

Thats the spirit!

From Reading's OS:

"Pearce makes Southampton move

Posted on: Thu 30 Oct 2008

Reading defender Alex Pearce has agreed to join Championship side Southampton on loan until 1st January.

During the loan period Reading face the Saints on both 22nd November and 28th December, but Alex will not be permitted to play in either fixture.

Alex can be recalled by Steve Coppell at any time after the first month of the loan - in keeping with League regulations.

Director of Football Nick Hammond told readingfc.co.uk, "Alex is a very talented young centre half who needs to be playing regular first team football at this stage of his development.

"With this loan he is joining a good club with good people, and the experience should get him right up to speed and ready if Steve Coppell wishes to recall him."

The 19-year-old centre back has made 42(+8 ) career appearances so far, including 7(+5) for the Royals; the remainder while on loan at Northampton, Bournemouth and Norwich over the last two seasons.

He had a run in the first team during the early part of this season, and his last appearance was in the Carling Cup defeat to Stoke on 23rd September."

Bennett? Did he have one sh1te game, get left out for ages, and then played well for a few games before we had to let go of him, reluctantly as it transpired....

Indeed! Bennett came back and played very well for us. Our best CB pairing last season was him and Davies. They were immense when we were hammering Hull 4-0 at home....

Sounds like a good move....not sure why Reading would want to off-load a player who's played 8 times for their first team this season though....

It's not as if they need to ship players for financial reasons like we do.

They might, this might be sort of a helping hand in advance mightent it? A sort of down payment in advance. Think that Everton are renewing interest in Hunt, Reading will carry out their plan for Surman and we get a helping hand now to

promote the deal.

I'd go that way if I was running the club:cool::cool::cool:

I hate to be negative over a signing, but another 19 year old with bugger all experience is not what we need.

42 league appearances is not completely inexperienced, more appearances than many currently in the team. Sounds like a reasonably decent move this one, only slight problem may be if he gets recalled at end of November.

I hate to be negative over a signing, but another 19 year old with bugger all experience is not what we need.

He's had a few first team games and as I keep telling you 19 isn't all that young.

Morgan is 18, he hadn't much first team experience and he's doing OK; Don't think Jack Cork had any either, he's not so dusty,Lallana had 2 first team games before this season. This is a good signing because we don't have enough centre backs. Probably play with Lancashire with Perry being consigned to the bench.

42 league appearances is not completely inexperienced, more appearances than many currently in the team. Sounds like a reasonably decent move this one, only slight problem may be if he gets recalled at end of November.

...and we play Reading twice in the loan period

He's had a few first team games and as I keep telling you 19 isn't all that young.

Morgan is 18, he hadn't much first team experience and he's doing OK; Don't think Jack Cork had any either, he's not so dusty,Lallana had 2 first team games before this season. This is a good signing because we don't have enough centre backs. Probably play with Lancashire with Perry being consigned to the bench.

Jack Cork played all last season in the Championship for S****horpe.

I won't be attending until we buy better players. We're destined for the drop, mark my words.

Lowe Out.

I lol'd anyway AP

Lowe Out.

Bennett was poop, started to play better, then we got rid of him! Strange decision but that seems to be the SFC/Lowe mantra - strange decisions.

Can’t understand why we can’t get in more experienced loans, rather than kids. Defence needs experience. Let’s hope he’s ok though as they clearly know more than we do - though their track record so far hasn't been great.

Obviously Svensson’s proving to be more crocked than first anticipated (Tricky to foresee that one!) and the sale of Andy Davies is proving to be ‘f*ck up decision of the season!’ I wonder how much we've shelled out in agent fees, loan fees, etc. compared to the paltry million we got back (which probably didn't even cover costs) for Andy Davies!!

Lowe Out.

tbf on alan bennett he was shocking against palace

but when he got back in the team he played quite well

so i don't know what your on about mate :)

Can’t understand why we can’t get in more experienced loans, rather than kids. Defence needs experience. Let’s hope he’s ok though as they clearly know more than we do - though their track record so far hasn't been great.

Obviously Svensson’s proving to be more crocked than first anticipated (Tricky to foresee that one!) and the sale of Andy Davies is proving to be ‘f*ck up decision of the season!’ I wonder how much we've shelled out in agent fees, loan fees, etc. compared to the paltry million we got back (which probably didn't even cover costs) for Andy Davies!!

Davies is still injured, don't think he's likely to be fit this side of Christmas so

that's really a great piece of business. 1.3 million for a crock and

the salary saved, honestly it's nothing to complain about.

Good and a much needed signing. Reading fans rate him a lot.

Re: Pearce Joins Saints on Loan

double d, 30 Oct 2008 12:51

Ithought something happened to him he was playing amazing then just dissappearfed. hope he does play for saints hes a class defender and i do prefer him to ivar however.

Bennett was poop, started to play better, then we got rid of him! Strange decision but that seems to be the SFC/Lowe mantra - strange decisions.

Bennett was send before Lowe came back so you can't blame that one on him.

Anyway, seems like a sensible signing but he should have been brought in straight after Lancashire's red card and two match ban.

Davies is still injured, don't think he's likely to be fit this side of Christmas so

that's really a great piece of business. 1.3 million for a crock and

the salary saved, honestly it's nothing to complain about.

I'd disagree.

Bennett was send before Lowe came back so you can't blame that one on him.

Anyway, seems like a sensible signing but he should have been brought in straight after Lancashire's red card and two match ban.

I didn't say it was Lowe at that time, just that the SFC/Lowe mantra seems to be of "strange decisions"...nothing more than that!

Edited by Gordon Mockles

42 yes, but less than a dozen at this level.

Not true, 18 actually at this level or above (played for Reading twice while they were in the Prem in FA Cup games), 5 league starts this season, plus 11 for Norwich. All of the remaining games were played in League One where we will be playing next season unless something drastic changes soon. Good solid experience in my view, very similar figures and loans to Jack Cork who has proved to be one of our best signings.

By the way do I smell the involvement of Stuart Gray in this move with his Northampton links?

Is he good...

Is he bad... He's too young... Yadda yadda yadda....

Why don't we just wait and see what the lad can do before passing judgement.

Far far to sensible and non-judgemental, can't be having that on here - get with the plot mate...!!! ;)