Saints games/moments you couldn't bear to watch..

saintmatt

As it says on the tin really - are there any particular games or moments in Saints' history where you've had to or wanted to turn away because it was easier than watching the events themselves unfold?

I remember being a nervous wreck before and during the Everton home match at the end of the 98/99 great escape season!

Also, bricking it before my first Saints-P*mpey game!

And that Leon Best penalty at Derby...

Any others?

Saints 1 - 0 Leeds

League Cup Semi-Final circa 1979. Sat in the West Stand, Archers End on the floor at the back, facing away from the pitch. Could not actually bear the stress of it all. When the final whistle finally went I thought my head was going to pop - and one of my mates actually did when he was given a sound kicking by Leeds fans outside the ground.

only one and that was Ruddocks penalty against Newcastle when we had not won for about 19 games
Think this was the only time for me as well. Turned to stare at the tea bar in the lower west stand until I heard the roar, followed by my mate jumping on my back, causing us both to end up in a heap on the ground.

Last few minutes of the FA Cup Semi Final in 03.

The entire 4-1 match in 2005. The game was over before a ball was kicked, I remember my disbelief when my dad actually bothered to pay £6 to watch the match on pay per view.

Final match of the season in 05. Didn't even watch the game, couldn't bare it.

Peter Crouch's penalty kick when we played (and beat) PFC at St Marys 5 or 6 years ago in the FA Cup, the tension was unbearable and the pen was in front of me at the Chapel end too. Fan bloody tastic.

That last 10 minutes of yet another 'great escape' match when Nigel Pearson's team had to win our final game of the season against Sheffield Utd to stay up. James Beattie was mysteriously 'injured' and the atmosphere was electric as you'd expect, it didn't help much when Stern John (bless his cotton socks) got sent off for removing his shirt just after scoring ! What a brilliant end to a terrible season.

There are plenty of bad ones too - but for some reason I prefer not to remember them.

The Derby playoff penalty shootout - that was unbearable. Knew we blown our chances of promotion to the Prem for a good while after that one! Would have loved to have seen that team in the Prem with the likes of Bale, Baird, Surman, Kenwyne etc. Think that team would have done well.

I know what the OP is getting at but the only games I can't bear to watch are the ones where we've been effing dreadful and had no chance of getting something out of the game. One in particular stands out and it was when Gray was in charge at SMS against Arsenal - we were awful and one nil down at half time. Could and should have been much more so I left.

Not nearly as much at stake as some of the games mentioned above, but the 4-3 win against Birmingham at home in 2006. After going 3-0 up before half time and somehow failing to score a fourth before Birmingham pull back two goals, then Saints getting a fourth....surely that is it.....no! Birmingham make it 4-3. The moment at 3.29 in this video when the ball lands on the roof of the net, for one horrible moment though it was going to drop in to the goal.

I know what the OP is getting at but the only games I can't bear to watch are the ones where we've been effing dreadful and had no chance of getting something out of the game. One in particular stands out and it was when Gray was in charge at SMS against Arsenal - we were awful and one nil down at half time. Could and should have been much more so I left.

Henry went round Jones and with an open goal, hit the bar, causing a very loud laugh.

Mine was a game against Derby in Feb 06 just after Burley had started. We were so poor against Leicester, the previous week in the Cup, that I said I would leave at half time if it wasnt any better. It wasnt and I was true to my word. Went back to the pub for the rugby and my mates that saw the 2nd half, told me it got worse. 0-0.

94th minute Peter Crouch penalty against Pompey with the game at 1-1. There must have been at least 3-4 minutes from when the ref gave the penalty to when it was taken. It felt like a lifetime and I was shaking like a leaf. And when I saw Crouch stepping up, I was even worse. That feeling was soon wiped out by a good few minutes of jumping around like a mad man.

Although I didn't look away, I was close. I don't think I could have taken it if he missed.

Cup final Against Arsenal, openng few moments and Claus I think pulled someone down inside the area, could have been a pen right there and then , luckily they didn't make too much of it and the game continued but after all that build up...

The reason I will always respect Henry. He could have gone down, won a penalty and we would have been down to 10 men within 30 seconds. He stayed on his feet to get his shot away and Niemi made a great save.

The only time I was really scared at a football match was the Saints v Man Utd game in 2005. I was so nervous before the game at the pub, really not enjoying the pre match beers. I remember going to the game and the first thing that hit me in the concourse was worried Saints fans looking up at the telly watching Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy etc all warming up and obviously expecting to play rather than being rested for the cup final the following week. At that point I knew it was all over for us that day.

If we do get promoted this year, I'll look back at this day.

Not nearly as much at stake as some of the games mentioned above, but the 4-3 win against Birmingham at home in 2006. After going 3-0 up before half time and somehow failing to score a fourth before Birmingham pull back two goals, then Saints getting a fourth....surely that is it.....no! Birmingham make it 4-3. The moment at 3.29 in this video when the ball lands on the roof of the net, for one horrible moment though it was going to drop in to the goal.

I uploaded that. You'll be hearing from my solicitor in the morning.