Saints v Bristol City Post Match Views

exit2

Well I'm not surprised...

Get a decent crowd in for a TV game (any concessions?) and we fail to deliver again.

Not going to say "Told you so" but we continue to suffer for lack of leadership on and off the pitch.

There's always the hope there will be three poorer teams in the Division come May 2009 - a show down at The City Ground - winner stays up and loser goes down. Men against boys? I know who I'd back!

Bitterly disappointed again...just as I was getting more positive.

It is all very good getting in promising youngsters

But we need some decent defenders

I have supported the new direction but it plainly is not working.

So we need to sell Surman and Lallana and get in some defenders and play 4 4 2.

There is no reason to keep Lallana as he is not scoring any goals

We played quite well but have no presence in the box. Lallana has got to learn to shoot, hopefully before next week, does all that's needed but hits schooolgirl dolly drops.

+1 on those comments. I was able to watch a stream for the first time since last season. We looked a lot better than our results suggest. If we can stay up this season, I think this side can build into something decent. The shooting opportunities were a big disappointment though.

I've been watching and supporting this team nearly all of my life.

At the age of 50, surely I deserve to see better than my beloved Southampton festering at the bottom of the Championship?

At this rate, the next local derby game will be against Bournemouth.

Where is the consistancy, the drive, the passion?

Come on Saints, give back something to the supporters... please.

+1 on those comments. I was able to watch a stream for the first time since last season. We looked a lot better than our results suggest. If we can stay up this season, I think this side can build into something decent. The shooting opportunities were a big disappointment though.

Yes you are right with your comments but we need some decent defenders a RB and CB and then we could be OK.

But the opposition have defenders to spare as we only have one striker up that and fact we have no decent wingers prevents us shooting in the box

Perhaps deserved a point. We missed Schneiderlin. Wotton was poor, Gobern didn't do well at AML but did when he moved to DM and Lancashire is poor. Euell should have scored.

Yes, all good points. Most of the second half we looked capable of scoring, which wasn't the case in the first half. Some tough games ahead now.

I watched a stream as well, you've just go to compare the power and address when Skacel shoots to the fuddyduddy fa*ny ups from Lallana. He creates but does nothing at the end.We won without him because he was replaced by people who can hit the f*cking ball hard towards the goal. the sooner he goes the better we'll be.

Crap Coach. Crap tactics. Crap players*. Crap defence. Crap leadership. Crap support (understandable). Crap Chairman. Crap opposition who even played down to our level.

*With some exceptions - Lot's of effort granted and Lallana was superb. We have x3 good nippers - Surman, Lallana and Shneiderlin (?! where are you??? - come on Lowe ask Wenger if we can play him a little more often) - the rest should be in the reserves in the CCC.

We need a manager who understands what and who he is playing against in this league. And we need a manager who is allowed to select and pick his team Mr Lowe. We need a manager who doesnt rely on his sidekick to tell him what to do during games.

With a GD of minus 10 and teams like Watford below us I'm afraid Rupert Lowe has continued to lead us to League One.

No surprises. Should really have been 0-2, well done Kelvin for the save.

One win from 8 home games, 6 points from a possible 24 at SMS, is simply not good enough. This experiment has had it's day, unfortunately there is probably no realistic alternative.

Anybody running a book on how many we will concede in the next two games ?

Well I'm not surprised...

Get a decent crowd in for a TV game (any concessions?) and we fail to deliver again.

Not going to say "Told you so" but we continue to suffer for lack of leadership on and off the pitch.

There's always the hope there will be three poorer teams in the Division come May 2009 - a show down at The City Ground - winner stays up and loser goes down. Men against boys? I know who I'd back!

Bitterly disappointed again...just as I was getting more positive.

I think that the secret is to ride through these peaks and troughs expecting nothing. If they lose then you were right. If they win then it's a pleasant surprise!

A lack of experience and guile is our problem. Normally when someone debuts for a team they have an abundance of older more experienced and wiser heads around them to help and advise. When you are breaking as many youngsters as we are the balance is too far the other way. Naivete seems to rule and it will cost dearly.

All power to the players I beleive, on the whole, that they are giving their very best. Sadly it's not quite enough against teams of men.

Toothless.

McGoldrick was good i thought but he has no chance chasing hopeful punts from Lancashire etc. DMG's general play has improved massively since i last saw him.

Wotton was awful, Gobern looked clueless and Euell should have scored.

A very flacid attacking display, bar some touches of brilliance from Llalana

Home game, live on Sky, chance for them to show what they can do after a good result last week and we got a damp skwib of a performance. To be honest I dont think we would have scored if we'd played till Monday. I fear for these youngsters - they are not good enough to go it alone and need help.

Next up Wolves and Reading - by then - any confidence that they might have could be shattered, and we could be languishing in a relegation fight - and I seriously doubt their ability to get us out of it. Sorry - but I think these are worrying times.

I watched a stream as well, you've just go to compare the power and address when Skacel shoots to the fuddyduddy fa*ny ups from Lallana. He creates but does nothing at the end.We won without him because he was replaced by people who can hit the f*cking ball hard towards the goal. the sooner he goes the better we'll be.

COR you really are begining to get reeled in,but its alright for Lallana to lay on good balls for others to feck up i.e Euell but nothing is said.I do believe you have a total dislike for Lallana,you are Glen Close in disguise.

Im not totally peeved as I normally am when we lose on TV. Everyone loves a tryer and we really did give it a go today so can't be massiveley annoyed at the lads. Shame though, as I think we deserved a point there.

Ratings:

Davis - 7 - Saved a penalty and looked pretty assured, wasnt hugely busy but did everything well.

Cork - 8 - Relaly impressed with him, looked very composed and always wants the ball.

Lancashire - 5 - Didn't deal well with Adebola at all.

Pearce - 7 - Gives side a lot more strength.

Skacel - 6 - Didn't get involved enough.

Thompson - 5 - Was kept pretty quiet.

Lallana - 8 - As always, looked like one of the only guys who was going to create something.

Surman - 8 - Ran the show in parts, very good performance.

Wotton - 5 - Game passed him buy today.

Gobern - 6 - Looked ok, just didn't create enough.

McGoldrick - 6 - Thought he was ok today, did his fair share of work.

BWP - 6 - Was alright when he came on.

Euell - 5 - Didn't do a lot and missed a really good chance.

Peckhart - 6 - Played well from the little time he was on.

I t is not the team, it is the system played especially, at home, one so called front man...poor coach/management decision making.

JP and the Director of Football..

Mind you poor old JP tries his best bearing in mind what names he is left with by Lowey..

Get the lot out now before its too late.

Get a football man in charge of football matters now.

Toothless.

McGoldrick was good i thought but he has no chance chasing hopeful punts from Lancashire etc. DMG's general play has improved massively since i last saw him.

Agree with all your points.. prticularly impressed by DMG's effort today..probably coz he was on TV and looking for a move!!

Lallana does have a fantastic touch but needs to get LeTizz to teach him how to finish..!!

Toothless.

Agree with most of that, McGoldrick battled manfully given he was on his own. Why do we play an away formattion at home?

Lallana looked good but he can't shoot.

COR you really are begining to get reeled in,but its alright for Lallana to lay on good balls for others to feck up i.e Euell but nothing is said.I do believe you have a total dislike for Lallana,you are Glen Close in disguise.

Lallana maybe skillful but he is not helping us to points and therefore I suggest he is sold and we get in some decent defenders.

"Saints 0........" says it all really. Nothing up front. And playing a system that really is not going to get anywhere at home, especially.

Where has this "total football" bullsiht that we were sold a few months ago gone? I thought the plan was to play it around, score goals, let in a few maybe, but at least give it a go. But we have nothing up front, hence "Saints 0........"

I t is not the team, it is the system played especially, at home, one so called front man...poor coach/management decision making.

JP and the Director of Football..

Mind you poor old JP tries his best bearing in mind what names he is left with by Lowey..

Get the lot out now before its too late.

Get a football man in charge of football matters now.

I think 4 2 3 1 is of no use here.

If it was why are other clubs not playing it.

It is only good if you have top class wingers like Paine and Sydenham

Guest Hacienda
Lallana maybe skillful but he is not helping us to points and therefore I suggest he is sold and we get in some decent defenders.

Since most of us have voiced our obvious need for defenders since pre-season I would suggest you don't hold your breath.

Usual garbage at home from the coach that is completely bereft of ideas how to play home games and attack the opposition. Clueless in front of goal, and luck that we were still in it with City playing like a bunch of pussies in front of goal. Good stop by Davis from the pen, Lancashire was lucky not to give another one away. Nothing in front of goal, out muscled in midfield by some very ordinary opposition. 1 home win in the League is nailed on relegation form, but hey ho Wolves and Reading next. Probably be 6 points. :( At least the Sky curse did not strike, only the home curse and the curse of the clueless coach.

Disappointing - but soem good play. I really do not rate Euell, BWP, or Wootton and our defence still looks very brittle. Three or four of them stood like statues when BC scored their goal.

Leaving McGoldrick all on his own up front is very silly - he needs some support. I thought Surman looked good today - he made some mistakes but was in the centre of things.

I admire his skill with the ball, could be an excellent player but he really isn't adapted to the role he's trying to play;He should be switching back and forth with McGoldrick and getting closer in, hardly ever gets into the box from what I saw today.Needs to be given a different role perhaps and leave his place to

someone more powerful (with powerful shooting ability).Can't see where else he'd fit in really though;Don't understand the Glen Close reference though,

wasn't she in The Shield lately?

I'd play Rudi in the deep striker position and put Surman back to see how it goes. Got to get Morgan back first though.

Everyone loves a tryer and we really did give it a go today so can't be massiveley annoyed at the lads. Shame though, as I think we deserved a point there.

The problem is that there are too many games where fans come away thinking 'we were unlucky today'. Losing becomes a habit. After the second half at Preston, with all the commitment spirit, and passion the team displayed, this was an opportunity to demonstrate that performance had showed the teams true qualities. Yet here we are again with just about everybody saying that we were clueless and lightweight in attack, and naive ( at best ) in defence. JP, however nice a guy he may be, is a one trick pony; we need to be more aggressive in the home games and get more bodies in the box. To many times the opposition defence find they are playing 2 or even 3 against our 1.

Guest Hacienda

Lots of effort but we are simply toothless up front, weak at the back and paper thin in midfield.

Too many kids and not enough leadership.

I weep for the future

Something strange is happening if i am being agreed with! Twice!

Not sure how people can blame Portvliet, he didn't exactly have many options up top available to him did he? Play Pekhart and we would just lump it from the first minute, play BWP and he will run like a headless chicken up dark alleys, as he did when he came on. The real problem was the lack of anyone able to thread a decent pass, something for DMG to latch onto. Surman was covering a lot of ground in the middle and endeavoured to create, but Wotton was horrible. Lallana in the middle with Surman would maybe have been a better option but would leave the already dodgy back 4 exposed! Lose Lose for JP really

Very poor - especially the first half tactics. We have no outlet up front and one way of playing until it's too late. It's still men against lightweight boys. We will only learn when it's too late, this model isn't working at Championship level. Pretty football alone is not enough. I'm afraid also that Lancashire is not good enough yet at this level.

I started suporting Saints in the old second division. I have never seen them in the third tier. When did I first see them? 1963! We are aiming at unchartered waters next season!

Toothless.

how was mcgoldrick good? he missed a sitter and didn't do anything else and its Lallana :)

Something strange is happening if i am being agreed with! Twice!

Not sure how people can blame Portvliet, he didn't exactly have many options up top available to him did he? Play Pekhart and we would just lump it from the first minute, play BWP and he will run like a headless chicken up dark alleys, as he did when he came on. The real problem was the lack of anyone able to thread a decent pass, something for DMG to latch onto. Surman was covering a lot of ground in the middle and endeavoured to create, but Wotton was horrible. Lallana in the middle with Surman would maybe have been a better option but would leave the already dodgy back 4 exposed! Lose Lose for JP really

Too true, Morgan is essential to our game, unfortunately he's 19 years old

and not used to football week in week out. Maybe still growing as well;

Thought that Surman was really good today, at least that's a positive, Gobern was too predictable and maybe a bit overawed, shouldn't have started him but what were the other options?