Mboro 2 Saints 1 - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

Not much to do with keepers, fact is many of his recent free kicks have not hit the target.

We saw yesterday again an aspect of SRL that is a bit of a concern. Very occassionally he loses his rag, and when he does his game goes to pot. He was very luckly not to get booked yesterday with his anger (justified) at the referee after the Boro player was not booked. He should learn to shut up and get on with it. He lost it at home earlier this season (can't remember who against, possibly Leicester?) and also away at Brighton of course. Not one to criticise SRL often but this aspect of his game seems to be creeping in a little in the last few months.

Expect that he already had a head start on the anger front.The goal that he scored in the first half looked perfectly good to me, of course the ref had already blown up and Boro had stopped playing but I couldn't see that the ball was entirely over the line.Slow motion replays would indicate that at no time was it out,lino flagged it though,f*cking specsaver jobby.

Anyway Scouser innit.

Those free kick situations are so dangerous - and the modern ball so lively - that I think we need to change our thinking. We're starting to see that happen with some teams.

When it's very likely that the guy is going to shoot, we should be putting someone at the post behind the wall - at the opposite end of the goal to the one that Kelvin is choosing to protect in case of the hard-hit shot (rather than the "up and over.")

If the shooter can get it high enough that the post defender can't reach it, fair enough.

I'd be less worried about playing someone onside than about that shot coming in, and the offside thing is less of a concern anyway if we do it at the last minute.

On another topic, does anyone think that Rickie might be playing through an injury? He hasn't finished the last few games very well.

M'boro were very good in the air. It wasn't just Lambert who struggled but also the rest of the team. Just look at the number of corners we had - and the lack of impact or penetration from them.

Re. Lambert, thought he lasted the course against Reading - one of his best performances of the season. He was quiet at P'boro. Think the Lallana challenge got to him. Was also getting angry with himself after a few misplaced passes. He is a confidence player and the kind of player who puts pressure on himself.

yeah noticed that....he was brilliant for an hour against reading and then faded a great deal...im sure he came off against palace and he was battered (and got nothing from the ref) against Posh.....he was fairly quiet..

of course, at the mo, if he can play..you have to play him but you would think that if it was job done, he would be rested..

he obviously came back a game too soon against pompey..

still, a half fit Lambert is still a dangerous beast in this league...however, next season, a half fit lambert will be easy pickings for the Oppo

I'm struggling to find enough words to express my admiration for Rickie. There are so many dimensions to his game, his temperament is super, he's a great "team guy", and (the Brighton game apart) he plays on despite absorbing a ton of physical abuse that's seldom punished with a free kick.

Yep, he's certainly a "dangerous beast" but I can't help but wonder whether we've failed to finish strongly against Pompey, Reading and now 'Boro (all of which we could and IMO should have won) because Rickie hasn't been as much of a factor as he was in the first 75 minutes. I don't think it's his endurance because this is a recent thing - I think he's carrying something.

Just back from a long weekend in Spain. Gutted yesterday, the big decisions are going against us at the moment. Ref was awful Definite sending off, that changed the game.

Also the Lambert break when clean through & pulled back for the ball being out when quite clearly still in play.

I really don't know whats going on with Fonte, he is looking all at sea at the moment! At fault for a soft free kick followed by a great strike to win it for Boro.

Now we normally respond to a poor result with a good performance, so whatever transpires on Monday night! I still see us putting Coventry to the sword & finishing the job

At home next week, we really should have enough to get past them! Keep calm keep focused & above all win a football match!

M'boro were very good in the air. It wasn't just Lambert who struggled but also the rest of the team. Just look at the number of corners we had - and the lack of impact or penetration from them.

Re. Lambert, thought he lasted the course against Reading - one of his best performances of the season. He was quiet at P'boro. Think the Lallana challenge got to him. Was also getting angry with himself after a few misplaced passes. He is a confidence player and the kind of player who puts pressure on himself.

I thought he was absolutely superb for about 3/4 of the game but was seldom the same force after that. I think he took a knock on the edge of the box - left hip if I remember correctly (as it was against Donny) - and then faded away.

yeah noticed that....he was brilliant for an hour against reading and then faded a great deal...im sure he came off against palace and he was battered (and got nothing from the ref) against Posh.....he was fairly quiet..

of course, at the mo, if he can play..you have to play him but you would think that if it was job done, he would be rested..

he obviously came back a game too soon against pompey..

still, a half fit Lambert is still a dangerous beast in this league...however, next season, a half fit lambert will be easy pickings for the Oppo

Against Reading he was sensational but in other games recently his passing has been dreadful by his standards. Clearly carrying a knock but too important to us to let him recover.

He has the summer for that!

It was a good strike and on target but in the air a long time and far from nestling in the top corner. I just wonder whether Kelvin might think he could have saved it. I'm not criticising him but am offering an opinion. Of course it was a stupid free kick to give away in the first place and that's where my criticism lies.

Yes, I've seen plenty of other keepers saving that sort of kick.

Was at the game, confused by a few things;

- Why the challenge on Lallana was not a yellow card and therefore a sending off

- Why Butterfield was started ahead of Richardson, who is IMO the better player

- Why Kelvin relied on the wall so much in their free kick

- Why Guly has now become our impact sub and not de ridder or even punch?!

Was at the game, confused by a few things;

- Why the challenge on Lallana was not a yellow card and therefore a sending off

- Why Butterfield was started ahead of Richardson, who is IMO the better player

- Why Kelvin relied on the wall so much in their free kick

- Why Guly has now become our impact sub and not de ridder or even punch?!

- Your guess is as good as mine, it had all the pundits confused after listening back on TV too. Crazy decision.

- Richardson is injured, and has been carrying a knock for a few weeks now (same with a few of our lads I fear).

- He may have got his positioning slightly wrong in this one, it was a great free kick though to be fair.

- Guly has done more than De Ridder and Puncheon this season, that's why.

Reason we lost Fonte !!! Get rid even if we have another year in the championship. He has cost us 2 points aginst poopy, 3 against Reading and 3 against Boro.

Reason we're on the brink of 2 successive promotions? The team.

Fonte has been part of that team.

Support him.

Reason we lost Fonte !!! Get rid even if we have another year in the championship. He has cost us 2 points aginst poopy, 3 against Reading and 3 against Boro.

Of that, I would agree he cost us one against Boro. At Reading his mistake came when the game was already over and the main fault that night lies with Fox and Hammond.

We are a team who plays possession football.

In a team like that you CANNOT give the ball away in midfield. The team isn't set up to break back because it's set up to keep the ball and play it wisely...

As for Pompey, Harding might (and it is a might) have got closer to Norris. Fonte is a CB who was where he ought to be.

just got back after a stop over in Sheffield, boy does Boro seem a lot further now that petrol is £1.40 a litre. Spent a fortune hoping for that promotion victory, but like so many other away games over the last 25 years I'll put it in the gutted locker and it'll make next weeks win even more special. Let me just say that I wasn't quite so philosophical yesterday especially walking back to the car having to listen to a couple of Boro fans saying we are a nothing club that will never be as big as them. Another lady pointed out that we only usually bring one man and a dog, which I guess is fair, except they do exactly the same. Easy now chez, enjoy the fact the skates have gone down and we'll do it next week.

Not seen any clips, so bare that in mind, but I though the ref ****ed us. Should have been a straight red and the free kick was never a free kick that led to their goal. Chaplow's injury had a massive effect on the outcome of the game. I thought his runs were causing them huge problems, but as soon as he went off and attacking outlet went and we went off the boil. Nothing against Guly, but he is a different type of player and we needed that forward charge.

Davis 6 caught very well, free kick was a pearler and the other was through a crowd, although I felt he had a good sight of it and was tad slow to get down. Perhaps that is harsh. Kicked well off a lumpy area.

Butterfield 7 no pace but a reasonable game again. I call it the "Lee Dixon effect" whereby I criticised him on a TV game many moons ago and then he went on to have a stormer. I'd prefer Richardson though to give us that little bit more penetration going forward. I thought we let them come on to us when we could have put them under like we did at SMS. Too much respect.

Fonte 6 Given a real tough time by Jukiwitz. He was up for the battle though and didn't make the guy's life easy. You can't ask much more. Or you could say he was bullied. Carried the ball well out from the back. He struggled with that a while back but seems to have got his confidence back. Or maybe I have.

Jos 8 very strong

Fox 7 another decent game. Their right winger is a handful but he didn't have a sniff. Not given an outlet by Lallana in the second half. Not given enough support defensively either if I'm honest.

Lallana 6 When we needed him he disappeared in the second half. Get on that line, give Fox and angle and then play. Bottled several tackles. Guly would get murdered for doing the same. He's class, yes, but not beyond reproach. Worked hard, they all did, but we needed that little but more.

Cork 7 Same old hard working box to box stuff. Gets nose bleeds in that final third though. Lack of goals from central midfield has been pointed out by some on here and to be honest I have never cared, but Bailey scoring drummed it home that we don't get enough of those.

Hammond 7 battled hard as always, but didn't get hold of the game early on (after we scored obviously) and we were under real pressure. Gradually got into the game and we looked good in possession, but not enough control for my liking. Tired in second half.

Chaplow 8 thought he was having a top top game

Lambert 6 seemed to get frustrated by the service in the second half and perhaps rightly so as we struggled to find him.

Sharp 6 got his goal but should have scored with the half volley. Thought he had a better game linking up well with Lambert. I'm not a fan, but every now and then I see a player.

Edited by Chez

Right, I'm trying to display a level of perspective which appears to be missing from many post on here. (yep that's right me, the one who scared my three kids into their bedroom with my appalling behaviour and wrecked on of my 5yr old daughter's favorite toys. Proud? Not really).

Anyway now I've had time to calm down. It's all to easy to lay most of the blame at Fonte's door. However he had played very well up to that point and Jutkewicz had at least an equal fistful of shirt when winning the free kick. Cork and Hammond were very ineffectual in midfield but I would suggest that this is more down to the shape that NA has us playing. WE ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO ****ING SORT THIS OUT. AN OUT AND OUT DEFENSIVE MID IS A MUST. especially as we rely on the fullback to provide our attacking width.

We were so quick out of the blocks in the second half that I was certain we'd win. Unfortunately I hadn't factored on the referee dropping a bollock, Lambert letting his frustration at this decision completely ruin what was already one of the poorest performances I've seen from him in a Saints shirt and Chaplow getting injured.

You obviously are or you wouldn't be announcing it to the world on a public forum. Jesus. Get a grip.

Good weekend away, despite the result. My memory was a bit hazy so I've watched the game again, sober, and some of the comments in this thread are ridiculous. Scored a good early goal, but were under the cosh for most of the first half. We were really good in the 2nd, apart from our finishing which was poor. Chappers really should have hit the target a couple of times. Ref bottled the most obvious yellow card decision you'll ever see.

Just not our day. We were guilty of poor finishing, and got done by a spawny deflected long range effort, and a good free kick after a bit of Sunday league defending from Fonte.

Not all doom and gloom, we've had disappointing results recently, but with the exception of Blackpool, we've played ok and things just haven't gone our way. Looking forward to the promotion party on Saturday.

Actually some of us have incredibly long memories and maybe thats why we are not confident that we will wrap it up next Saturday. Also people are ****ed off because we blew the chance to be champions. I know all the Sky generation think promotion to the PL is all that matters, but that is crap. Its the "we're second in the league what more do people expect" dry fannies that really get up my nose (rather have a wet fanny any day)

Bloody hell man.supported saints now for over 40 years........... I know how we can screw things up, however going back few years i can easily live with this. Obviously promotion will / would be incredible.. Still life goes on either way...

Can anyone explain where the three added minutes in the first half came from, since we conceded in the 47th minute? Can't remember any serious stoppages.
I imagine the ref stopped his watch a few times when Kelvin was taking his time with goal kicks etc.

I'm struggling to find enough words to express my admiration for Rickie. There are so many dimensions to his game, his temperament is super, he's a great "team guy", and (the Brighton game apart) he plays on despite absorbing a ton of physical abuse that's seldom punished with a free kick.

Yep, he's certainly a "dangerous beast" but I can't help but wonder whether we've failed to finish strongly against Pompey, Reading and now 'Boro (all of which we could and IMO should have won) because Rickie hasn't been as much of a factor as he was in the first 75 minutes. I don't think it's his endurance because this is a recent thing - I think he's carrying something.

Ricky has his ups and downs but has won the player of the season weeks ago. What I am trying to fully understand is where our samba football has gone that we started the season with. I don't put that down to Ricky and would guess at the loss of form of Guly, Connolly and Lallana. I feel our best performance was against Middlesbrough at home where we had so much control and opportunities against a very good side that it was embarrassingly one sided.

The major problem I have with Ricky is when performance levels of himself or mainly others drops below a certain level, he offers very little, especially in adapting to a different system. A couple of seasons ago Ricky was blasting free kicks in from all over the pitch. These were straight, powerful shots that would get up and down over the wall and give the goalie no chance, almost Ronaldoesque, These have stopped a long time ago and I can only think that was because he was causing some damage to his body that he now relies upon spin. His goal return from free kicks is such now that he really has no right to the ball and others should be given the option.

Then we come onto the pairing of Ricky and Billy, looking pretty good in parts. But nowhere I feel in comparison to the samba football we were playing at the start of the season. I just do not feel that the partnership between Ricky and Billy will go much further than what we currently see. Very good up to a point but just not making much headway there after. If we can't get back to that samba football I do not believe that Billy and Ricky offer us sufficient to go forward and improve and I would change one of them out (more than likely Billy) for someone like Yakubu.