Mboro 2 Saints 1 - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

Had our strikers scored from the incredible chances they had instead of the team hanging on to a 1-0 lead, what our defense players did later wouldn't have been cause to blame. We just are not scoring enough goals when we get so close to doing so.

I'm here! - Just got back myself, what a long trek that was.

So frustrated today, after getting there and hearing the Reading result I really believed we'd be playing for the league on the last day....obviously not then.

We couldn't have asked for a better start to be honest, but I felt we didn't kick on from that, we didn't exert ourselves in our normal way and slowly we let Boro creep back into the game and they then got a pretty firm foothold, and we were chasing them around for the rest of the 1st half. They deserved that equalizer at the death for sure.

We started the 2nd half really well, right out of the blocks, but we failed to make any clear cut chances apart from Sharp blazing over. After the incident with the free kick (and their player was the last man tbf) it seemed to knock us back and we lost any foothold we'd regained, and then losing chaplow just destroyed our shape and we were never in the game after that.

Boro looked a useful outfit, but If we were really on our game and were professional about our jobs we'd be back here in the premier league.

Luckily we have another chance, we can sit back and watch the WHU game, but no point in getting too downhearted if they win.

We have a relegated Coventry city at home, where we need just 1 win to get into the premier league. I always felt we'd take it to the last day - and we have. I'm still pretty confident we do it, but it'll be tinged with disappointment as I feel the last few weeks we've let the title slip out of our hands when it should really be ours.

Never mind, can't wait for next week now.

Pretty much agree with all of this. The non-red card incident was the turning point, we seemed to lose our focus and discipline after that. NA probably did the right thing in putting it behind him, but it f*cks me off that refs have no accountability whatsoever. I want him to come out and explain why he didn't give Hines another yellow for cynically taking Lallana out when he was clear on goal? (of course, we know why - he bottled it, having just booked him 5 mins before - but I want to know his reasoning).

Am still confident we'll do it Saturday - the crowd have a massive part to play, we need to keep behind the boys and not let any nerves transfer from us to them. Of course am hoping the worries will be managed for us by Nugent & co, but won't be holding my breath.

Writing this from Newcastle Airport waiting to go home...

Would WHU swop places with us? Too bloody right they would. We are in a marvelous position and it is in our own hands. The play offs are a tough arena, a one off against Coventry has got to be the easier option. Coventry won't roll over and won't have come to SMS to be humiliated. We treat them like difficult opponents and we will be alright. Give it 90 minutes of effort and application and we should win.

Pretty much agree with all of this. The non-red card incident was the turning point, we seemed to lose our focus and discipline after that. NA probably did the right thing in putting it behind him, but it f*cks me off that refs have no accountability whatsoever. I want him to come out and explain why he didn't give Hines another yellow for cynically taking Lallana out when he was clear on goal? (of course, we know why - he bottled it, having just booked him 5 mins before - but I want to know his reasoning).

Am still confident we'll do it Saturday - the crowd have a massive part to play, we need to keep behind the boys and not let any nerves transfer from us to them. Of course am hoping the worries will be managed for us by Nugent & co, but won't be holding my breath.

Writing this from Newcastle Airport waiting to go home...

Maybe if we hadn't tried to pressure the referee and just left it to him he may have booked Hines. It was a lack of discipline that lost us the game, from Fonte, from Davis not resetting the wall after the ball was moved left, by the players who tried to bully the referee into a sending off.

Maybe if we hadn't tried to pressure the referee and just left it to him he may have booked Hines. It was a lack of discipline that lost us the game, from Fonte, from Davis not resetting the wall after the ball was moved left, by the players who tried to bully the referee into a sending off.

That's unlikely. Normally when there's a card to be dished out a referee will go straight for it. In most cases his mind will have been made up almost as son as he blows his whistle. This incident yesterday was not even debatable, for any referee at a top level that's straight yellow at the very least.

That's unlikely. Normally when there's a card to be dished out a referee will go straight for it. In most cases his mind will have been made up almost as son as he blows his whistle. This incident yesterday was not even debatable, for any referee at a top level that's straight yellow at the very least.

It's happened. We lost. Move on.

Fonte and Davis cocked up big time for the second goal, was watching it with the gf and told her he was way too far across the goal. The freekick wasnt even in the corner and he wasn't close to it. He's won some big points though so he's allowed it.

Thought the team played well really but was one of those days where the 50/50s went against them. West Ham will drop points in one of their last 2 games anyway but Saints will win on Sat.

No he wasn't .. he was effing mediocre ... absolutely pedestrian where we needed urgency.

I've stuck up for him a long time on here but he was poor today (one very decent long shot where we denied a corner corner aside). SDR (I'm not a fan, but he would have offered more on the right today).

absolutely agree with this 100%. guky was a osectatot whondidnt seem arsed. he made no runs, didnt work off the ball to offer options and waited for the ball to come to him. never want to see this lazy sulking kn ob in a saints shirt again personally.

went out in boro last night which was bizare in the extreme. the bar was like the star wars bar!!! highlight of the night was at a curry house when some boro boys askes us what we thought of boro and i said it was a ******* shyt hole. he wasnt amused and said i meant the team.

It what ****es me off most about the Chambo sale - he cold have had a full season of championship games under his belt and gone to the Gunners with more chance of a starting place - but the kids seem happier at a big club on teh bench/reserves than playing each week - had he been part of a promotion and championship winning side' date=' he would have gone with our blessing.[/quote']

He wasn't very good yesterday, still looks to be only an impact player at the Arse,certainly wouldn't have started if Arteta was fit,was supposed to be on the left but just kept drifting inside and getting in the way.

Brief thoughts.

1) Boro played the highest line I've seen all season and we had no pace to get behind them and when Chaplow did we wasted the chances.

2) Head the ball towards touch, not straight out to the edge of the box.

3) The non sending off is the worst decision I've seen in years.

4) We lost our discipline after that.

5) Everyone in the away end knew where the ball was going from the freekick.

6) We'll go up on Saturday.

deflected goal and a good free kick undid saints but i,m proud of the team,who have all given their all this season and something like 20 clean sheets and on the verge of going up,i think of every fan would have not predicted that and i wish we would support are side rather than scapegoating fonte and guly.lets hope our negative fans roar us to promtion saturday and not turn on the side when we get a few misplaced passes go astray. great support from the saints fans yesterday apart from the idiots who seem more interested what clobber some of the fans wear lol

Up after a night's sleep. Did a tour of Boro's clubs. pubs and bars -f**k me, they gave Hull a run for its money in the liveliness stakes. Then waited in the bus station. Nice touch that the station's toilets have special blue lighting -not a stylistic cue from House Invaders but there to stop smackheads who want to shoot up finding the blue of their veins.

On balance it was a very even game and another day we would have won. At times, we seem to struggle against teams that play 4-5-1.

Credit to Boro who recovered well after we went 1 up. Its pretty clear why they don't score many and we looked very edgy. They played into our hands somewhat by going down the middle with LJ rather than hurting us on the flanks where they had acres and acres of space. After that spell, we came back into the game and Chaplow should have tested the keeper with one of his two chances. A 2nd goal, even after they equalised would have killed them off.

Their equaliser was gutting - we were finishing the half the better side; we lost several 50/50s in the build up to the goal and the shot got a slight deflection. There even seemed to be hint of offside about their player in the box who was obstructing KD's vision. And I cannot understand why the CBs dont head the ball into the channels or touch (watching the prematch warmup where Crosby throws the ball up for the defenders to clear, they're almost encouraged to head the ball back straight as it saves Crosby from going chasing!).

We started the 2nd half the better. In paticular, Sharp snatched at a shot. While we didn't really test them, we were getting behind them with relative ease. Challenge on Lallana was as cynical as they come. Hines knew what he was doing and no doubt had accepted his fate. We lost our discipline and shape after that. The hoofs didn't pay off and their defense snuffed out Lambert (not surprisingly, one of our best chances in the game came from playing on the floor, not hitting it long). Similarly, we never really threatened from our stack of corners (probably should have gone short with a few). A bright spot was Sharp who again was excellent.

The freekick for their goal looked soft -LJ was giving Fonte as he good as he got all afternoon and neither the ref nor the lino (who had a clearer view) blew up initially. The crowd no doubt played a part as it was still fuming about the nonaward of a pen mins earlier. Still Fonte makes it too easy for refs - his holding is too blatant. It wasn't a particularly well-struck free-kick and all the haggling over the distance of the wall distracted us from the more important task of positioning it properly.

The loss of Chaplow made a difference. His runs from deep were difficult to pick up and with neither Cork, Hammond, Butterfield pushing on, we were squeezed into ever smaller triangles between Lallana, Sharp and Lambert and occasionally Fox. Guly didn't show any willingness to drive on, a killer when you're playing with Butterfield.

If Guly starts against Coventry, he has to play with Frazer who relishes the responsibility of getting forward.

Edited by shurlock

absolutely agree with this 100%. guky was a osectatot whondidnt seem arsed. he made no runs, didnt work off the ball to offer options and waited for the ball to come to him. never want to see this lazy sulking kn ob in a saints shirt again personally.

went out in boro last night which was bizare in the extreme. the bar was like the star wars bar!!! highlight of the night was at a curry house when some boro boys askes us what we thought of boro and i said it was a ******* shyt hole. he wasnt amused and said i meant the team.

Fantastic to have you as our ambassador I must say! What is an osectatot btw?

Will be quite keen to see their second goal again.Seen the stills on the OS and the height disparity in our wall is a bit worrysome.Why has Rickie bent his knees thus reducing his height? Maybe it's just for a standing jump though.Wouldn't mind betting the ball went over Sharp,too small for walls is Billy.

Will be quite keen to see their second goal again.Seen the stills on the OS and the height disparity in our wall is a bit worrysome.Why has Rickie bent his knees thus reducing his height? Maybe it's just for a standing jump though.Wouldn't mind betting the ball went over Sharp,too small for walls is Billy.
Looked to me like the ball cleared the wall by some distance. I expect Kelvin will be disappointed not to have got to it.

it was just a very good free kick

And so it was but I still want to see just how it went over the wall all the same.

All 19 of our PL opponents next season have players capable of this type of free kick,needs sorting out sooner rather than later.

We also need to stop letting Lambert take all free kicks (well Fox got one yesterday) too previsable.

And so it was but I still want to see just how it went over the wall all the same.

All 19 of our PL opponents next season have players capable of this type of free kick,needs sorting out sooner rather than later.

We also need to stop letting Lambert take all free kicks (well Fox got one yesterday) too previsable.

agree...that is why it is the premier league.....

He managed to do what is required of a good free kick. It's call "up and over the wall". Sometimes you just have to say fair play.

You also have to know exactly what happened to stop it happening again if at all possible.Still think the wall was wrong cos it was a bit castle topped.

You also have to know exactly what happened to stop it happening again if at all possible.Still think the wall was wrong cos it was a bit castle topped.

yeah...dont give away free kicks on the edge of the area.

however, that happens in football and goals like that, there is little you can do...

it was just a very good free kick
It was a good strike and on target but in the air a long time and far from nestling in the top corner. I just wonder whether Kelvin might think he could have saved it. I'm not criticising him but am offering an opinion. Of course it was a stupid free kick to give away in the first place and that's where my criticism lies.

I agree. We had at least three we wasted. They had one. Perfect shot. Unstoppable.

There is no excuse not working the keeper from a free kick. There are always at least five clear days a week to practice them.

we have been pretty poor from free kicks this year really

It was a good strike and on target but in the air a long time and far from nestling in the top corner. I just wonder whether Kelvin might think he could have saved it. I'm not criticising him but am offering an opinion. Of course it was a stupid free kick to give away in the first place and that's where my criticism lies.

Very poor. Don't think the attacker would even have controlled the ball... hey ho.

For the majority of last season Lambert just took every kick and hit 90% of them. This season it's been all about the chip to the back stick which (to my knowledge) has worked 0% of the time.

We have had a few goals from worked set plays that wost teams would just have a pop.

West Ham for one.

On a positive note Leicester have won 11 drawn 6 at home. By contrast Coventry have won only ONE game away all season. Who would you prefer to be playing?

With our track record in days gone by for being the whipping boys for letting players who haven't scored for ages, teams who haven't won home or away for ages, teams who normally couldn't buy a goal let alone 2 or more, or keep clean sheets .... I'd normally be totally bricking saturday against a team already relegated and under no pressure but with a chance to end on a high .. but we are made of sterner stuff nowadays ... aren't we?

If WHU do beat Leicester and then, as we did in the play off year v relegated Southend, go 1 down early doors ...... DO NOT PANIC!! (But maybe a pair of incontinece shreddies may be in order!!)

We have no creativity at free kicks. Since when did a man running over ball fool anyone?

TBF, Fox's shot was pretty decent in the first half and Lambert had a pop from our two free-kicks in the second.

We've tried to work things from setpieces -not just the chip to the back stick. You're not likely to see a better worked goal than the routine against P'boro at home.

I have never seen Lambert score a decent free kick. I remember one from last year but it was from a deflection.

His one against Bournemouth away last season was decent, that was also the last one he scored.

Middlesbrough was an odd place, pretty much nothing there of note really. All the locals were meatheads but were friendly enough, the majority just wanted to shake our hands when out last night. The game swung on the most ridiculous decision you are ever likely to see. We'll still do it don't worry about that.

Those free kick situations are so dangerous - and the modern ball so lively - that I think we need to change our thinking. We're starting to see that happen with some teams.

When it's very likely that the guy is going to shoot, we should be putting someone at the post behind the wall - at the opposite end of the goal to the one that Kelvin is choosing to protect in case of the hard-hit shot (rather than the "up and over.")

If the shooter can get it high enough that the post defender can't reach it, fair enough.

I'd be less worried about playing someone onside than about that shot coming in, and the offside thing is less of a concern anyway if we do it at the last minute.

On another topic, does anyone think that Rickie might be playing through an injury? He hasn't finished the last few games very well.

On another topic, does anyone think that Rickie might be playing through an injury? He hasn't finished the last few games very well.

yeah noticed that....he was brilliant for an hour against reading and then faded a great deal...im sure he came off against palace and he was battered (and got nothing from the ref) against Posh.....he was fairly quiet..

of course, at the mo, if he can play..you have to play him but you would think that if it was job done, he would be rested..

he obviously came back a game too soon against pompey..

still, a half fit Lambert is still a dangerous beast in this league...however, next season, a half fit lambert will be easy pickings for the Oppo

scored a shedload from free kicks in his first year with us though, keepers have probably just got up to speed with him.

Not much to do with keepers, fact is many of his recent free kicks have not hit the target.

We saw yesterday again an aspect of SRL that is a bit of a concern. Very occassionally he loses his rag, and when he does his game goes to pot. He was very luckly not to get booked yesterday with his anger (justified) at the referee after the Boro player was not booked. He should learn to shut up and get on with it. He lost it at home earlier this season (can't remember who against, possibly Leicester?) and also away at Brighton of course. Not one to criticise SRL often but this aspect of his game seems to be creeping in a little in the last few months.