Mboro 2 Saints 1 - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

New rule - never bring Guly on as sub unless we arev 3 goals or more to the good - and only play him upfront!

Just out of interest what did he do wrong when he came on ?

Or put it another way, was he any worse than the rest when he came on ?

Anyone know if De Ridder picked up an injury ? Cant see why Bart was on the bench after so many games of going with 5 outfield players.

Right, I'm trying to display a level of perspective which appears to be missing from many post on here. (yep that's right me, the one who scared my three kids into their bedroom with my appalling behaviour and wrecked on of my 5yr old daughter's favorite toys. Proud? Not really).

Anyway now I've had time to calm down. It's all to easy to lay most of the blame at Fonte's door. However he had played very well up to that point and Jutkewicz had at least an equal fistful of shirt when winning the free kick. Cork and Hammond were very ineffectual in midfield but I would suggest that this is more down to the shape that NA has us playing. WE ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO ****ING SORT THIS OUT. AN OUT AND OUT DEFENSIVE MID IS A MUST. especially as we rely on the fullback to provide our attacking width.

We were so quick out of the blocks in the second half that I was certain we'd win. Unfortunately I hadn't factored on the referee dropping a bollock, Lambert letting his frustration at this decision completely ruin what was already one of the poorest performances I've seen from him in a Saints shirt and Chaplow getting injured.

The decision to not send off Hines was a disgrace and Fontes foul on there striker,for the winner was equally stupid. I am not convinced that West Ham will win at Leicester and we will smash Coventry next week,but it would have been nice to win and still be in with a shout of the title.

As they have been all season, and they deserve a lot better than they are getting from the team.

What being second in league after being promoted with not a lot of money spent. We have over achieved this season.

Just calmed down enough to return to the computer, thought i was going to put a fist through the screen at full time.

Such is the lot for a Southampton fan, made to wait until the LAST minute every time...

Anyway. Things are still massively in our favour.

We will be promoted on St Georges Day if West Ham don't beat Leicester.

We will be promoted next week if we beat Coventry.

End of.

Unfortunately Fonte let us down again tonight. Before that Hammond and the two full backs were very poor--Hammond in giving the ball away frequesntly and not being able to tackle , and the full backs in giving the wingers too much space. Forget about the refereeing decision and the Lino for Rickies goal disallowed, we were just not good enough tonight. My goodness, if we do go up we have to get a few premiership class players in. Our weaknesses really showed up tonight.

I would be amazed if we dont stuff Coventry at least 4-0.Morgan will no doubt be fully fit the team will be up for it,St Marys will be packed out in celebration mood and it will be business as usual

Unfortunately this is a rather simplified view of next weekend. WH won't have it easy turning over Leicester, but assuming they do, all the pressure next weekend will be on us. There will be absolutely none on Coventry. Those of us that have been following football as long as I have will know that teams often win once they have been confirmed as relegated.

UOTE=chestersaint;1342274]The fookin bottling bast ards can fook right off now. Reading leave the door open so what do we do? Smash through it? No, tamely stroll up and gently fookin shut it for them. This is certainly my lowest point in 30 years. Fookin LAME. No excuse. Wan kers.

Get a grip.

1. It was always going to be hard at the Riverside !

2. Leicester may nick a point off Wham.

3. If we lose against Coventry we deserve to fail.

4. But even then, we have a chance in the play offs.

5. If we fail to get promoted we can have another go next season !

Spot on mate, I agree with you. Doom and gloom on here is unbelievable!

If, like me, you are an armchair fan - you will have seen that coming a mile away. First game versus Leeds apart - cannot remember seeing us look the real deal - and effective. Great start - but after 20 minutes you just knew that we would loose. We seem to play really nice tippy tappy football at times - but it is just non productive, its either in our own half or in front of their defence. How many saves did their keeper make? Not many that I can remember.

It's been the same in all of the last couple of games - the big ones - we've just bottled it, Portsmouth, Reading, today Boro - loads and loads of posession, but no end product.

For those people who simply think that next week against Coventry is just a formality - have a think. Do you really think that a team that has just been relegated, but can have such a bearing on the league still is going to simply roll over and die. I think not. Unless Leicester can do us a massive favour on Monday - then this may yet have more twists to take.

If, like me, you are an armchair fan - you will have seen that coming a mile away. First game versus Leeds apart - cannot remember seeing us look the real deal - and effective. Great start - but after 20 minutes you just knew that we would loose. We seem to play really nice tippy tappy football at times - but it is just non productive, its either in our own half or in front of their defence. How many saves did their keeper make? Not many that I can remember.

It's been the same in all of the last couple of games - the big ones - we've just bottled it, Portsmouth, Reading, today Boro - loads and loads of posession, but no end product.

For those people who simply think that next week against Coventry is just a formality - have a think. Do you really think that a team that has just been relegated, but can have such a bearing on the league still is going to simply roll over and die. I think not. Unless Leicester can do us a massive favour on Monday - then this may yet have more twists to take.

You mean we play a lot of what Gordon Strachan used to call propoganda football dont you ?

I agree, we do.

Rant incoming

You can talk about tv/refs or whatever but the fact is when we have the big games we blow it. How many games have we won against the top 7 this season? 3?

Adkins totally ****ed up the subs bench by picking a defensive set up. Do Prado our only attacking player on there and he is badly out of form. If we had to come from behind to get a result he was our best option to do that?! Davis is ****ing **** when it comes to long shots and needs a pair of glasses, totally woeful keeping by him today, long ball after long ball to nobody. If he is our keeper next year regardless of league he has to stop that. A simple pass to a defender and another pass into midfield, enough of the punts to nobody. And Fonte has been crap for weeks now, doesn't look like the same player at all. He has made many mistakes recently which have really cost us. I bet Jos wants to punch him sometimes as he just loses concentration so often.

People will come on and say unlucky or whatever but we should be promoted by now..... totally gutted, no doubt Adkins will come out with the robot recorded response.

This 100%.

I bet neutrals who have watched our televised games cannot believe how on earth we are second.

I think we will still go up and that NA has done a remarkable job, but, we have made tough work of it lately.

Whether we were over achieving or not, we got ourselves into a position where we could have won this league and I so wanted us to go up as champions, we had it in our hands and we fecked it up. Bed wetters my a r s e, I for one want us to win things.

Unfortunately this is a rather simplified view of next weekend. WH won't have it easy turning over Leicester, but assuming they do, all the pressure next weekend will be on us. There will be absolutely none on Coventry. Those of us that have been following football as long as I have will know that teams often win once they have been confirmed as relegated.

Exactly. Look at Donny today.

Feeling fairly deflated at the moment.

Just like the Reading game we were too fond of the square ball and didn't attack with any pace which meant the Boro defence had plenty of time to regroup.

The real disappointment is that whilst Reading are a decent team, Boro are distictly average and we still couldn't put them away even with the carrot of automatic promotion dangled infront of us.

We'll still go up - I'm totally confident about that BUT we'll be seriously found out in the prem unless we attack with pace in a much more direct style.

We also need as good a GK as we can get our hands on, no blame on KD tonight and he has been superb for us, but our defence is going to get tested like nothing else next season and we need a top notch keeper to at least give us a chance - sentimentality doesn't win games.

It's fair to say that one formation we struggle with is 4-5-1 and teams pressing us high up the pitch. Middlesbrough did that today and it worked for them. We were not our usual composed self on the ball and we paid the price for not keeping possession.

Lambert was not at the races either.

I am still confident, but this is getting far too close for comfort.

That'll be three blue lines then in the last four games.

Very true, sadly. We have not played well for a while. Mind you, my wife summed it up, "Saints don't do things the simple way!".

We seemed to want to play at our pace but 'Bro dictated the pace all game.

Very true, sadly. We have not played well for a while. Mind you, my wife summed it up, "Saints don't do things the simple way!".

We seemed to want to play at our pace but 'Bro dictated the pace all game.

well I make it four days since we played well and won........

Basically, story of our recent form again.

Poor defending. I can't remember who didn't follow Bailey back enough, and why on earth did Fonte foul the Juke?

We didn't take our chances (ala Ipswich, Reading, Portsmouth, Blackpool games etc etc) Chaplow, Sharp & Hooiveld probably most guilty.

And the ref didn't help. Lambert kept the ball in play. Chelsea's "goal" v Spurs was closer to going over the line, and their defender should have walked. Would that have meant we went on an won? I don't know, but it would have been easier.

I stil lthink we'll go up. We should beat an extremely poor Cov side, who have lost Richard Keogh to suspension.

As I have always said, as much as I love Saints, boy is it chuffing hard work supporting them!!

Still as I have also always said supporting Saints really sets you up for life, the real world is not sugar coated Disney Channel perfection but bloody hard work............... Just Saints have made the hard work an Art form!

I would love to know what it is, the players change, the ownership changes, but we have the same ingrained habits.

I reckon it's time to get that White Witch into the changing room to do her stuff there rather than on the Stadium as she did before............ Of course it could just be Marcus pulling the strings from upstairs and making sure that loads of us get to celebrate.

One thing is for certain the team will need a nip and a tuck if we are to survive in the Premiership. Especially when players like Chaplow go on a lung busting run down the wing and cross into a box devoid of yellow shirts apart from Billy Sharpe on the far side just outside Hartlepool (or Staithes depending on the orientation of the pitch).

Some folks have said we need a new defence, Fox needs to learn not to have too much to do get close to the player who is about to skin him, as for Jos that bloke for the past few weeks has been carrying Jose, I think the moment fr Martin is about to come.

Still looking forward to next week when hopefully we will finish the job against what will be against a very relaxed Coventry full of players looking for a move in the Summer.

COYRs

hammond - his weaknesses have been evident from back in L1 days

fonte - what the **** is he doing??

lambert - doesn't score many goals with sharp on the pitch, is this a worry

IF we get promoted we need a load of new players

I can't believe that we're still conceding long range goals

Is it safe to read the thread yet? I'm as ****ed off as anyone but I get even more so with the drips who go to pieces when this sort of thing happens. Now I'm getting old and slow, but if someone skins me when I play footie I don't give up, I chase back and try and cover. Plus may I please request anyone who criticises such wimps not to call them "wet fannies" (Delldays for one), those give a lot of pleasure. How about "limp dicks" as a criticism: much more appropriate, I feel.

For those people who simply think that next week against Coventry is just a formality - have a think. Do you really think that a team that has just been relegated, but can have such a bearing on the league still is going to simply roll over and die. I think not. Unless Leicester can do us a massive favour on Monday - then this may yet have more twist

Is this the same Coventry which had two 'must win' matches this week, at home against sides in the bottom six, and which lost both without scoring a goal?

The same Coventry team which have won once away all season?

Sorry but I just can't see them having much, or any, motivation; they are our best possible opponents in my opinion.

A few years ago, if someone told me that Saints would be the Championship’s leading scorers and one home win away from successive promotions, I would have found it hard to believe. If that same person then told me that, having achieved this, the players - and even the manager! - would be subjected to so much abuse from their own supporters, I would have found it even harder to believe.

Yes, some of the players weren’t at their best tonight; yes, some of them made mistakes; yes, we’re all gutted at the result. But for fans to accuse Saints players of being ‘gutless bottlers’ is bang out of order and more than a little ironic because over the past few seasons, including tonight, the players have shown a lot more bottle than some of our gutless supporters are displaying on here at the moment.

Yep, that pathetic obsessive inferiority complex raises its ugly head again.

out of interest alpine, how you haven't commited suicide is beyond me. your pessimistic level is that of a 15 year old drunk girl who's just lost her virginity to a cow.

I'm sure Leicester's Nigel Pearson will be hugely keen to do his old employers a favour. The ones who were so good to him. Not. Rollover time.

Eh? I very much doubt Nigel Pearson has any opinion on Nicola Cortese.

You know, people can say bed wetters, wet fannies, whatever but Christ do saints like doing things the hard way. Reading drop points today, and I think they will vs brum too, and we go and balls it up against a boro team in poor form.

Hammond. He's slow and he passes sideways or backwards. That's fine for 70 mins but in the last 20 we needed a change of pace, an incisive pass, some forward movement. A second gear would be nice mr Hammond. And he's the captain!

Fox needs to learn to cut out crosses, a full back's priority, and to not get caught out of position.

Chaplow made some good runs today, getting into the box on a few occasions. A better finish might have resulted in a goal. Guly might have taken one of those chances but he wouldn't have gotten in that position.

Let's hope none of this matters by winning next week, but I for one am disappointed not to be champions. I don't care that we were L1 last season and that we're ahead of schedule and all that stuff. We had a chance to win this div and we failed in the final furlong. They say more lessons are learned in defeat. I hope we learn from this.

Just back........

Game was there for the taking but too many under performed! lambert was poor and we were looking for him to make us tick! They seemed to push us up the pitch well so when the front two did get the ball we were still 40 yards out!

Great support from those who were there, Boro is a dump of a town..... Makes Glasgow look like Disneyland!

Guly frustrated me when he came on, has anyone ever seen the guy sprint? Thought we would lose when i saw him stroll on with his hands on his hips....... Hope we get rid of this tool in the summer!!!

What being second in league after being promoted with not a lot of money spent. We have over achieved this season.

Of course we haven't 'over achieved'. That is a really silly phrase to use. If the team had not won as many games as it did in August, it would have been necessary to change the squad before the window closed, and again in January, although a case can be made to say we have under-achieved since December and that other strengthening should have taken place in January, not just the two strikers, in order to improve a couple of the cracks that were beginning to show.

There is no disgrace in failing to win at Middlesborough, they have been a strong team this season, but relegated Doncaster got a draw there, so we should have done at least the same, and its no use blaming the ref for making us play 11 against 11. The real failings that have lost us the title are some of those other games where points should not have been dropped, such as Bristol City, Doncaster, Portsmouth, and Ipswich.

Don't know if it's been mentioned already but boro had a boost going into this game knowing the Cardiff result. Games at this stage of the season should start at the same time. It's not too much to ask is it?

We also had a boost knowing that a win would mean promotion, and possibly the title, but if you can only get promoted by playing against teams that have nothing to play for themselves, you have to ask if it would be deserved.