Mboro 2 Saints 1 - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

Fonte was awful, Hammond and Lambert off pace. How many long shots is Kelvin letting in at the moment, also think he positioning for their second goal was woeful.

People moan about the ref, but we have been letting teams take pot shots too much and it is costing us.

Why didn't we have a pacey winger on the bench at least?

I dared critised Hammond last time and got slated. When the fook is he going to score or even shoot from 20 yards out. Answer: never because hes always nearer the half way line. Even when losing with minutes left he plays it side ways or backwards.

Danny Fox, for fook sake get closer to your man and make a challenge. Overlapping Lallana would be nice once in a while aswell, same for Butterfield.

Adkins made a big fook up tonight (not for the first time) Richardson and De Ridder, much better options.

Rant over.

One thing I don't understand, today, the equaliser v Pompey, why do the defenders not under great pressure just head the ball out straight instead of diagonally towards the touchlines. Hoiveldt could easily have headed the ball wide today, instead it dropped straight in front of the centre of the goal. The other thing is the number of attacking headers we head up at the crossbar rather than downwards.

Lallana

Changing room are gutted, great start...not sure it was a free kick. Thought he's off when he (Adam) was tripped...unbelievable that Hines wasn't sent off...even surprised it wasn't a straight red. Would love a Leicester result but still in our hands but disappointed not finished today. Goal didn't settle us like P'Boro...should have capitalised but didn't.

Sounded really down

Shame on you! Davis wasn't responsible for our loss today.

No he wasn't but he should have saved that in my opinion. He was too far left in his goal. If the ball had nestled sweetly tight to the brackets I would say great shot deserved a goal but it wasnt. It went a good foot inside the post.

Boro wanted it more! Our fullbacks cannott defend! We can't grind out a draw! We lack real pace! And it seems our players lack the desire!

Did they? ********, they're a decent side who raised their game but we still had more of the play.

Do the pants ****ers not learn anything from the response we showed to bad results against pompey and reading? Man up ffs.

I have said it before and I will say it again - IF we go up we need a whole new defence, the teams in the prem would have a field day against our full backs and against Fonte.

All of those who tell me Fox is great will see up against the top players just how far he is away from his man whenever the opposition get the ball.

Good players in the Championship, a different ball game in the Premiership.

Saints ****ed it up. I am looking at playoffs now. Bad ref poor defending last minute goals in 1st haf or 90 plus is happening too often.

I really cant see West Ham losing their last 2 games and would expect a total of 6 or 7 goals. So we now have to get a win.

Saints just are not consistand enough in the big games.

Betting says Coventry cant win but I wouldnt like to say that

I dared critised Hammond last time and got slated. When the fook is he going to score or even shoot from 20 yards out. Answer: never because hes always nearer the half way line. Even when losing with minutes left he plays it side ways or backwards.

Danny Fox, for fook sake get closer to your man and make a challenge. Overlapping Lallana would be nice once in a while aswell, same for Butterfield.

Adkins made a big fook up tonight (not for the first time) Richardson and De Ridder, much better options.

Rant over.

Hammond had a really good shot from about 25 yards v posh and got an unfortunate deflection and it just missed the post...

Need to get over this bottling of big games thing we have got going on. If we go up next season every game will be a big game.

I do not understand NA's sub change with Guly coming on for Chappers.

Plus, why a sub keeper this match and some others not?

Gutted. Saints were in total control in the 2nd half until that decision. Hines gets sent off, we go on to win the game. But the ref bottled it, no idea why, and loses us a shot a the title. It's been YEARS I've been this annoyed after a game.

Also, Lambert could have had a free run on goal to make it 2-0, if it wasn't for a ridiculous decision by the lino that it had gone out of play.

Robbed.

It's only been a week for me - Reading. I wish to f u c k that we hadn't been on the fecking tv again. I am ****ed off to an extent that is impossible to articulate.

Referee was disgraceful, clearest second yellow you'll ever see and yet another example of why we should import referees from other leagues until we can bring the English ones up to standard. About time the professional bodies recognised it and started making officials self-evaluate their performance far more. Yes, it's a difficult job but it's very well paid and high profile and for such a crucial game fans from all clubs shouldn't subject to a buffoon like that.

Saints didn't help themselves but we certainly wouldn't have lost against 10 men although the desire wasn't there to break Boro down so probably a draw. Sharp and Lallana played well although Billy missed a sittter second half, Chaplow good too before going off. Lambert wasteful and Cork got bullied by Bailey a bit. Hammond tried his best but he's League 1 and it was foolish giving him a long-term deal last year. Full backs need changing next week - might keep Fox but Frazer has to play. Jos had good overall game but Jose is a concern and Martin might neutralise Platt's heading ability and we'll need to defend second balls far better if Platt wins in the air. Thankfully Nimely is struggling with his hamstring. Kelvin's placement for the free kick was suspect. As with the Reading game, Guly coming on unbalanced us and we lost momentum, poor decision by Nigel, Morgan should have come on and pushed Cork to the right where he wouldn't have been so bullied and Morgan would have mixed it with the odious Bailey.

We'll still beat Coventry and it might shatter any illusions Nigel had of sticking with the squad if we go up. We need to be ruthless like Norwich have been, keep the ones who can hack it and bring in the 6-8 new faces over the summer like they and Swansea did, hungry players like Bennett, Pilkington, Caulker, Worm and Routledge who want to improve. Adomah, Rodriguez, Curtis Davies would be this summer's equivalents. How some posters can watch that and say we only need 2-3 new faces is crazy. Oh, and we need to sign someone with leadership to wear the armband.

Seeing our leading players distracted all week long by the likes of Twitter proved to me Nigel hasn't got the control of them to produce what was necessary today. I honestly hope that we don't screw it up against Coventry but have felt for some weeks we aren't ready for the Premiership. Nigel is not the man if we do get promoted or needs more experience if he is to manage in the Premiership.

Saints never make things easy and have always thrown away golden chances throughout their history. Realy gutted

Seeing our leading players distracted all week long by the likes of Twitter proved to me Nigel hasn't got the control of them to produce what was necessary today. I honestly hope that we don't screw it up against Coventry but have felt for some weeks we aren't ready for the Premiership. Nigel is not the man if we do get promoted or needs more experience if he is to manage in the Premiership.

Saints never make things easy and have always thrown away golden chances throughout their history. Realy gutted

sorry...along with so much crap. this is more bollix

why do people go literally mental when we lose

The decision not to send Hines off changed the game as the momentum was with us. However, prior to that another poor goal from the edge of the box, a midfield lacking in physicality and the ability to tackle and ponderous full backs that back off too much. After the Hines incident we lacked anything going forward after Chappers went off. The Fonte challenge was needless and I am surprised we didn't put anyone on the post from the free kick given the angle - it seemed obvious where the ball was going. Having said all of that I still think we will go up and on our day we are a very good side, but lots to work on in the summer.

Negative side of me: West Ham wipe out our goal difference on Monday, and storm to a last day win, while we nervously play out a draw against Coventry thus losing out auto promotion by one f ucking goal! Having to put up with all the pundits shaking their heads in disbelief at how we threw it all away on the last day!

Positive side of me: West Ham succumb to nerves at Leicester, and finish with a scrappy 1-1 draw ending their chances, leaving Saints fans in a party mood next weekend, finishing off with an easy 3-0 win over Coventry.

Please can it be the second option! :uhoh:

Second top of the league with one home match left to play !

Cannot believe the abuse that the team and the manager are getting !

We have overachieved big time !

If everyone gets behind the lads next Sat then we will be in the Premier League next season !

Would anybody honestly rather be in West Ham's position ???

Lets get a grip.We lost today but we are still in a fine position. The BBC website headline says it all

" Southamptom made to wait for promotion"

Leicester may do us a favour on Monday. Failing that, we just have to beat the second worst team in the division on Saturday. It is all in our hands and is very doable. Lets just get some man up pills , draw the blue line and get ready to finish the job on Saturday against Coventry.

That is what we said about home to Pompey! We are losing to many games (3 in the last 6) and conceding too many goals but it is still in our hands. We need our early season home form to make this a 4-0 and relax.

This above 'moron' comment is towards the guy on the first page that called Fonte a **** and criticising Davis for his goalkeeping decisions. At the end of the day....we are in a great position and WILL go up! UP THE SAINTS! :)

Hello fellow Saints.

What the ***k was that all about today.

Fonte has been poor in the last three games, and may god forgive me for saying where was Rickie tonight! his passing was poor, he played to deep, he lost his temper to quickly, all the team were second to the ball! ***k why, we had it all to play for, why do we take our foot off the gas when we are 1-0 up. poor show. Nigel why on earth put Guly again in the wrong position, you did this last time against reading, and we all know what happened.

We will do it maybe monday. but why should we have to struggle to the finish line when we have been champions all season.

Just got on train back to Leeds now, think you all feel ****, try standing in the pouring rain, boro such a **** hole

Great atmosphere after we scored, then felt we didn't do much... I'm so gutted

Went to today sure we would win, oh well. Oh yeah to all the boro c***s at the station youre finishing 7th

Hey, I'm a big Nigel fan but:

1. We've conceded three goals from the D, in open play, in four games. That’s unforgiveable.

2. Bringing Guly on completely changed a shape that was working very well. I still can’t believe he did that. We needed to trade like-for-like and retain the shape.

This plus thought we had a very poor bench not much attacking options

Are the majority of you looking at the table upside down, I can't believe the comments on here? We played well given the amount of games we have played recently, it was a good performance. I can't believe some of the criticisms I am hearing on this board. That's the most successful I have seen Davis some for crosses yet the short little fecker could not stretch enough to get a very well taken free kick, live with it. The referee made a major error when he failed to send off Hines but the far biggest error was Fonte giving away the free kick. We have seen him do this so many times and got away with it, he did not get away with it tonight and he should have known better and Adkins should have it tattooed on his arse and underlined in blue. That error denied us the option of a draw being of value against Coventry, so we now have to go a beat a relegated side on the last day of the season at home.

Whether we go up or not we need to replace 5 or 6 of the players. We were a bit of a surprise package this season - and had the momentum at the start of the season. I'm not sure this same team would make it to the play-offs next season. We need two fullbacks that can defend - at least one new first choice centre back - wingers with pace - a centre forward with pace, power and physical presence to lead the line - and more strength in depth.

I still think we should have bought Juktiewitz in January to lead the line and to provide cover for Lambert - as well as giving us two tall players upfront to grind out results.