Dave Merrington

Miltonroader07

Rubbish, we just has not got the players, we looked good second half against Vila, Spurs, Everton, and played well against the champions and the runners up in the league.

Tonight that team would have struggled against Bradford!

I think we should give it another month and take a look after a run of winnable games. I remember watching merrymans teams look out of their depth, and to be fair he turned it around!

Uncle Dave is CLUELESS, he just wants to play 4-4-2 and nothing else because they are the only tactics that he knows or understands. He spent the whole match saying we need to put a second player up front i.e. change from 4-2-3-1.

He is a old dinosaur who's days have passed him by, no team in the PL plays 4-4-2 anymore they all play variations of 4-2-3-1 (some call it 4-3-3) because as the first half on Sunday showed the 3 in central midfield will outplay the central 2 in 442 and the wide players (in 4-2-3-1) either stop the fullbacks overlapping or allow them 1 on 1 with the full backs.

Rather than listen to him (I turned off because he is like a stuck record -"must play a second striker"), as Nigel said post match we should be questioning the "fringe players" effort.

Uncle Dave is CLUELESS, he just wants to play 4-4-2 and nothing else because they are the only tactics that he knows or understands. He spent the whole match saying we need to put a second player up front i.e. change from 4-2-3-1.

He is a old dinosaur who's days have passed him by, no team in the PL plays 4-4-2 anymore they all play variations of 4-2-3-1 (some call it 4-3-3) because as the first half on Sunday showed the 3 in central midfield will outplay the central 2 in 442 and the wide players (in 4-2-3-1) either stop the fullbacks overlapping or allow them 1 on 1 with the full backs.

Rather than listen to him (I turned off because he is like a stuck record -"must play a second striker"), as Nigel said post match we should be questioning the "fringe players" effort.

Yeah let's turn on Dave now shall we? Is there anyone we like or is everyone clueless. The guy lives the club and he kept us up in premier league something Adkins doesn't look like doing.

He gets on my wick, I find listening to Player pretty unpleasant really but as you don't seem to get the choice of Saint's or the other side's commentary now I just have to put up with it. Don't think very much of what he says and I don't like his Geordie accent.

He gets on my wick, I find listening to Player pretty unpleasant really but as you don't seem to get the choice of Saint's or the other side's commentary now I just have to put up with it. Don't think very much of what he says and I don't like his Geordie accent.

The guy produced shearer, le tiss the wallaces and absolutely loves the club. What is the obsession with having a pop at people who have been good for the club.

This needs to be put as a warning every time the old bag speaks.

The man needs to be pushed off a bridge as 4-4-2 will get us relegated no matter what happens, it is what is happening to Norwich, Villa, QPR and Reading (the teams that try to stick out 4-4-2 and fail from it).

The man needs to be pushed off a bridge as 4-4-2 will get us relegated no matter what happens, it is what is happening to Norwich, Villa, QPR and Reading (the teams that try to stick out 4-4-2 and fail from it).

And 4-3-3 is doing south better!

Can we tone the rhetoric down a touch, please?

I lost faith in DM's opinions when we signed Tadanari Lee and he kept going on and on about videos of two volleyed goals Lee had scored against Australia -one with his left foot and one with his right foot. Poor Dave did not seem to realise that it was a video of the same goal - but one was shown as a mirror image. If he cannot fathom out simple things like that, how can he comment informatively on Saints performance. I cannot trust what he says unless I can see for myself what he is commenting on.

I lost faith in DM's opinions when we signed Tadanari Lee and he kept going on and on about videos of two volleyed goals Lee had scored against Australia -one with his left foot and one with his right foot. Poor Dave did not seem to realise that it was a video of the same goal - but one was shown as a mirror image. If he cannot fathom out simple things like that, how can he comment informatively on Saints performance. I cannot trust what he says unless I can see for myself what he is commenting on.

Like last week, Morgan does pretty well down the right and sets up JRod but according to DM it was Lallana that set him up, of course you can't tell that at the time but when you see the video with his nonsensical comments you catch on straight away.

The only tactics that Dave knows are 4-4-2, keeping 2 solid lines, and getting the ball wide and to the byline. Times have changed and football has moved on. If we played 4-4-2 we would be far worse than we currently are. Shown by the first half vs Spurs and the Wigan game.

Worse? that would be pretty ****ing bad:scared:

Like last week, Morgan does pretty well down the right and sets up JRod but according to DM it was Lallana that set him up, of course you can't tell that at the time but when you see the video with his nonsensical comments you catch on straight away.

Jesus bet u make mistakes all the time.

I struggle to understand how playing two strikers instead of one will stop our defence from leaking like a sieve.

I glad, though, that there are a few like me who feels that DM contribute nothing of value to the Solent commentaries. "Money for old ropes" is the old saying.

He and others should remember that he stayed up by the skin of his teeth when managing the team, and was duly sacked by Lawrie Mac for not being good enough. For those remembering him from his Youth Team days you will remember his constant bellowing at his players, but that was about all. He was gifted with a number of outstanding talents and didn't need to bless them with any of his "bring on another striker" for them to succeed. Good old uncle Dave....

I struggle to understand how playing two strikers instead of one will stop our defence from leaking like a sieve.

I glad, though, that there are a few like me who feels that DM contribute nothing of value to the Solent commentaries. "Money for old ropes" is the old saying.

He and others should remember that he stayed up by the skin of his teeth when managing the team, and was duly sacked by Lawrie Mac for not being good enough. For those remembering him from his Youth Team days you will remember his constant bellowing at his players, but that was about all. He was gifted with a number of outstanding talents and didn't need to bless them with any of his "bring on another striker" for them to succeed. Good old uncle Dave....

In fairness whispering Dave mainly talks about having two strikers up front when we are already behind and chasing the game when the sieve like defence has already done the damage and we need to score goals to salvage the game.....

I would suggest that perhaps Dave Merrington knows a great deal more about football than you

Dave took over a team that finished top half under bally with matt le toss having his purple patch,just avoiding relegation on goal difference was a poor effort and he was rightly fired. So as a manager he was pretty poor and as a commentator he is hopeless, it's like listening to my 75 year old dad waffling on . I'm not convinced it's not a Partridge sketch. Contrast him with people like Neville and Souness . He adds nothing and has no insights . What winds me up most is his co commentator agreeing with every word and the plums texting in. "I am sat here in new Milton listening and we need to do xyz " ....ffs

Dave took over a team that finished top half under bally with matt le toss having his purple patch,just avoiding relegation on goal difference was a poor effort and he was rightly fired. So as a manager he was pretty poor and as a commentator he is hopeless, it's like listening to my 75 year old dad waffling on . I'm not convinced it's not a Partridge sketch. Contrast him with people like Neville and Souness . He adds nothing and has no insights . What winds me up most is his co commentator agreeing with every word and the plums texting in. "I am sat here in new Milton listening and we need to do xyz " ....ffs

Rubbish. Matty wasn't on form for him until end of season, he tightened up defence and had hardly any money to spend with 15k gates. He also left his wife poorly in hospital to keep us up. You also forget he is the best youth officer we ever had.

Rubbish. Matty wasn't on form for him until end of season, he tightened up defence and had hardly any money to spend with 15k gates. He also left his wife poorly in hospital to keep us up. You also forget he is the best youth officer we ever had.

Matt had the best 18 months of his career prior to Dave taking over, the fact is bally got more out of him,so you have confirmed my point. Had he remained in charge we would have gone down . As a pundit he's Ron Manager he needs to go

What youth team players did we have come through in the 90s?

I can remember the Wallace brothers and the f'k all else until Wayne Bridge before we got to the Bale/Walcott/Chamberlain recent times.

It's a pity people show their dislike for Dave - because of his dialect......most of us have one, but why is it some of the " southies " seem to condemn folk from the North as less than smart?

----just because they don't speak the Queeens English and drop their h's on occasions .

Apart from his own pro. career at Burnley (a good side in his day)...Dave selflessly put together the best youth set-up that Saints have ever had (and I'm including our present Academy setup - at present anyway.)

People who roll-off the names like MLT , Shearer and Wallaces (yeah, yeah) but forget the many others who came under DM's guidance in over 10 years, and when it was the first team manager who took the plaudits for the years of work that Dave had put in.

When we were left stranded without a manager, he took up the reins and achieved just as much success as his predecessors, and some others who came after - namely he kept us up in the Prem.

He didn't fit Rupert Lowe's vision of a manager (who then chose Graeme Souness to succeed him) ....what a masterpiece of misjudgment that was.

LIke Lawrie Mac, some people are quick to criticise Dave's manner, attitude and choice of vocabulary without realising he has just as much football knowledge than many of the existing Prem. managers today.

Edited by david in sweden

It's a pity people show their dislike for Dave - because of his dialekt......most of us have one, but why is it some of the " southies " seem to condemn folk from the North as less than smart?

----just because they don't speak the Queeens English and drop their h's on occasions .

"People"? One person mentioned his accent; one. I don't think there's a huge outbreak of anti-geordie sentiment about to break out, Dave.

I can remember the Wallace brothers and the f'k all else until Wayne Bridge before we got to the Bale/Walcott/Chamberlain recent times.

Oh it's you should not bother to read. Shearer, le tissier, Maddison, widdrington, kenna, Dodd, flowers enough for u

He didn't fit Rupert Lowe's vision of a manager (who then chose Graeme Souness to succeed him) ....what a masterpiece of misjudgment that was.

At least blame the right person. Guy Askham.

The "Devil Incarnate" did not appear until the following October, when he went to his first ever professional football match.

This.

this board has been liberally sprinkled with anti-Merrington comments (mostly for his commentaries on Radio Solent) for some years past ...or have you missed that?

Not anti-geordie ones though, which is what kraken said. Just anti-merrington.

David Hughes; Jeff Kenna; Neil Maddison; Tommy Widdrington; Matthew Oakley, amongst various others who came through and played a season or two for the first team, didn't make the grade at Premier League level but went off to make hundreds of appearances in the lower leagues. Not bad a period which was considered the weakest in terms of our ability to bring through first team players.

David Hughes; Jeff Kenna; Neil Maddison; Tommy Widdrington; Matthew Oakley, amongst various others who didn't make the grade at Premier League level but made hundreds of appearances in the lower leagues. not bad a period which was considered the weakest in terms of our ability to bring through first team players.

David Hughes was one of my favourite players back in the day. Its a real shame he got that bad injury, (was it a broken leg?) I remember a blinding goal where swivelled on a sixpence just outside the area and rifled it in through a crowd of defenders. Turned out to be a bit of a supersub when he was fit too, iirc.

David Hughes was one of my favourite players back in the day. Its a real shame he got that bad injury, (was it a broken leg?) I remember a blinding goal where swivelled on a sixpence just outside the area and rifled it in through a crowd of defenders. Turned out to be a bit of a supersub when he was fit too, iirc.

He was superb; and goodness knows how good he could have been were it not for injury. I was in the front row of the upper tier at QPR when he had an absolute blinder; scored both our two goals and rattled the post late on with a long ranger that would been the winner. My view of it was aboslutely picture perfect!

I noticed him outside St. Mary's for the Fulham game; it looks like he's associated with a football agency who represent a number of minor Saints players.

He was superb; and goodness knows how good he could have been were it not for injury. I was in the front row of the upper tier at QPR when he had an absolute blinder; scored both our two goals and rattled the post late on with a long ranger that would been the winner. My view of it was aboslutely picture perfect!

I noticed him outside St. Mary's for the Fulham game; it looks like he's associated with a football agency who represent a number of minor Saints players.

Chris Baird is a client at Midas probably why he was at SMS for the Fulham game

Mr Merrington very good Youth coach...

Poor Senior Coach/Manager.

Another old crusty who thinks he knows better than current football Manager/Coach..

Stick to the radio Job DM

Entitled to your opinion but as useful as us Willy Wonkers on this forum.:rolleyes:

Edited by ottery st mary
spellin

Saint_Lard has been saying Adkins hasn't got a clue for 3 years, do you "almost" want him in as manager as well?

I find it very hard to believe that those words came out of Merringtons mouth anyway. He might have said he disagreed with some of Adkins decisions, but to come out and state "he hasn't got a clue"? Unlikely.

Saint_Lard has been saying Adkins hasn't got a clue for 3 years, do you "almost" want him in as manager as well?

I find it very hard to believe that those words came out of Merringtons mouth anyway. He might have said he disagreed with some of Adkins decisions, but to come out and state "he hasn't got a clue"? Unlikely.

Look at the OP.......that should tip the scales.