Nigel Adkins - Sacked

exit2

Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?  

678 members have voted

1. 1. Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?

In fact Norwich spend a whole lot more than anyone suspects, bit here, bit there. Bassong cost them 5 million I think. Pilkington about 3, Turner 4, not to mention all the other bits and bobs they've got. Take away Ramirez and JRod and what has our team cost, not much, a couple of home-grown elements, a couple of bargain buys for a million £ long ago, Cork for not much, a free goalie. Bet the team we put out tonight cost less than Norwich's.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Lowe always said he wanted to take us to the next level?

But he never backed it with a plan, or money, which Markus and now Cortese are...

Personal love of Nigel aside, I can see what's happening here.

There's a plan - Nigel may even have known that he was not going to be our manager in the Premiership...

But people (MLT, who I love to bits) and Lawrie (likewise) coming out and questioning the Chairman's vision or aproach is bonkers. What has he done wrong since taking over??

He sets targets, you meet them, fine. You don't, you're out...

People talk about stability as though it guarantees success but it doesn't (see Arsenal)(see Chelsea and Real Madrid)....

As people we think it was unfair on Adkins - we believe he could have taken us up, been a long-term manager at the club and done great things with us.

But be honest, he was learning, he was making mistakes (some repeated).

Did he deserve to be fired for it? Not in my book because I believe he earned the right to learn.

The Chairman took a different view. He was looking at it thinking that he had spent £30m and wasn't beating Wigan of Fulham at home despite having one of the most sought after midfielders (two) in the team... (is my guess at what he was thinking). I may be wrong!

But he never backed it with a plan, or money, which Markus and now Cortese are...

Personal love of Nigel aside, I can see what's happening here.

There's a plan - Nigel may even have known that he was not going to be our manager in the Premiership...

But people (MLT, who I love to bits) and Lawrie (likewise) coming out and questioning the Chairman's vision or aproach is bonkers. What has he done wrong since taking over??

He sets targets, you meet them, fine. You don't, you're out...

People talk about stability as though it guarantees success but it doesn't (see Arsenal)(see Chelsea and Real Madrid)....

As people we think it was unfair on Adkins - we believe he could have taken us up, been a long-term manager at the club and done great things with us.

But be honest, he was learning, he was making mistakes (some repeated).

Did he deserve to be fired for it? Not in my book because I believe he earned the right to learn.

The Chairman took a different view. He was looking at it thinking that he had spent £30m and wasn't beating Wigan of Fulham at home despite having one of the most sought after midfielders (two) in the team... (is my guess at what he was thinking). I may be wrong!

Fair points.

Garbage. Norwich haven't spent anything like we did. West Brom have been up forever and still have not spent more than about five mil on a single player. We have spent money like a lottery winner on crack.

You really don't understand, do you dear.

Looking at one year's spend which is very high by premiership standards is meaningless. Most established prem teams have had the luxury of several years to assemble their sides over several years.

Take West Brom, which have been held up as the poster boys of prudence and incrementalism. I remember seeing Chris Brunt score against us in 2008 and he is now their club captain. Look beyond the headlines of shortening managerial tenures and you discover that squads exhibit a great deal of continuity. In an ideal world, we would have kept the likes of Dyer, Surman, Jones, Baird and perhaps some our superstars. But history is what it is and we've been forced to spend in order to rebuild and catch-up.

One implication is that it makes sense to look at our spending -not over one isolated year but over several years, especially as many signings in L1 are still first teamers. It also makes sense at the needs that motivated this spending. For instance, our best current CB was brought in as a direct replacement for Chris Perry, an old warhorse who was ready for the glue factory. Put in proper context, our spending has been pretty modest.

So try to engage with an argument and facts rather peddle your usual pious condescension.

So I dreamt the whole Markus Liebherr buying us from admin??

The point that a ruthless authoritarian acts ruthlessly seems to come as a shock to some who think they have a right to tell him how to run a football club.

The right they have is to withhold their patronage.

You said we had a choice, we had no such choice.

And the choice of "no club" is not true. Simple.

This is crazy. We were a premiership team for decades under most of the others in this table. The whole squad was a premiership squad. Do I really need to state Le Tiss, Svensson x 2, Shearer, Beattie, Pahars, Niemi, Flowers, Wallace x 2(3), Bridge etc etc? We are still carrying League 1 and Championship players now. This comparison is nuts

Spot. On.

Agree. But given what we know of the offers rumoured (serious offers) and those on the table

I would not have swapped anything for what we have.... If that makes me a spanner, Internet NC lover... Then so be it

Am Really Gutted And F***** Off That Adkins Has Gone As I Don't Know What Cortese Was Thinking Tbh

But I Am Going To Back The New Manager 100% Right From The Start Starting With Everton Tonight!!!

I Also Hope That There Is No Revolt From The Players Too As Well!!!

COYR & Saints Til I Die!!! :D

Sorry, you're correct.

What I meant was, starring down the barrel of possible liquidation (however unlikely) and being taken over effectively provided Hobson's choice.

I still can't get over that man who owns football club decides what he wants to do with football club is a shock to anyone...

You really don't understand, do you dear.

Looking at one year's spend which is very high by premiership standards is meaningless. Most established prem teams have had the luxury of several years to assemble their sides over several years.

Take West Brom, which have been held up as the poster boys of prudence and incrementalism. I remember seeing Chris Brunt score against us in 2008 and he is now their club captain. Look beyond the headlines of shortening managerial tenures and you discover that squads exhibit a great deal of continuity. In an ideal world, we would have kept the likes of Dyer, Surman, Jones, Baird and perhaps some our superstars. But history is what it is and we've been forced to spend in order to rebuild and catch-up.

One implication is that it makes sense to look at our spending -not over one isolated year but over several years, especially as many signings in L1 are still first teamers. It also makes sense at the needs that motivated this spending. For instance, our best current CB was brought in as a direct replacement for Chris Perry, an old warhorse who was ready for the glue factory. Put in proper context, our spending has been pretty modest.

So try to engage with an argument and facts rather peddle your usual pious condescension.

Chris Perry? Surman?

Utterly irrelevent. But a creative argument. Well done.

We outspent nearly every club in Europe this summer as you know.

We had a Championship team in League One and outspent most other teams in the Championship, spending nearly four million quid on forwards this time last year, only for them to be replaced by 12m worth of forwards only months later.

So, dear, I am not looking at one years spend, but four.

And, dear, our spending has not been modest. Not in L1. Not in the Championship. Not now.

Engage with that argument. Engage with those facts.

Edited by CB Fry

Am Really Gutted And F***** Off That Adkins Has Gone As I Don't Know What Cortese Was Thinking Tbh

But I Am Going To Back The New Manager 100% Right From The Start Starting With Everton Tonight!!!

I Also Hope That There Is No Revolt From The Players Too As Well!!!

COYR & Saints Til I Die!!! :D

Gutted expresses the feeling I believe we all felt to varying degrees when we heard Adkins was sacked. I won't know until the end of this season whether that action was right or wrong, even then a high degree of uncertainty will exist.

The one thing I am far more certain about now is that all the logic starts to bear out the decision. Looking back at my personal views before the season started, the over whelming fear was that we had no one who realised how difficulty the Premier was going to be. After a handful of games It was obvious to all that we just did not expect what the Premier threw at us, with the players and staff admitting as such. Before the season started Cortese told the players and staff we were not ready having to deal with the Premier, with Adkins wanting to put keep faith with those that had got us where we were. Just having the right goalie at the start could be the difference now to staying up or going down.

Bearing in mind all these factors it comes as no surprise that Cortese looked at the market and viewed his alternatives? Then when he found what he was looking for, was he wrong in making that change? My only fear is that we now have a manager that speaks little English and no history of the Premier, yet la Liga is hardly a slight. With Adkins gaining momentum and starting to play football again it must of been a difficult decision. I thought we played our best game of the season against Arsenal and extremely lucky against Villa where we seemed to be looking to drop points. On those grounds alone I can't see the fault in Cortese and considering all the bottom clubs improving feel, that what we have now will not be good enough. I certainly sympathise with Adkins in wanting to take everyone through together but it was soon apparent you were condemning the good in having to carry the bad.

Difficult one, don't know if Cortese has made the right choice but sure that Adkins created the route we are now on.

Nige is no fool. He'll have his compo being paid for the x months so simply won't need to work, he can wait for a nice, big(ish) proper job. Blackpool is so turn-downable its untrue.

totally agree....from what you read, he will have his contract paid until he gets another job..

I think he would be an idiot to go to blackpool....they are on the way down still..

he should wait till the summer...a couple of relegated teams will need a manager, maybe even a good NPC that fails to go up....but not blackpool.

where ever he goes, people will be expecting promotion.......pressure will be on

totally agree....from what you read, he will have his contract paid until he gets another job..

I think he would be an idiot to go to blackpool....they are on the way down still..

he should wait till the summer...a couple of relegated teams will need a manager, maybe even a good NPC that fails to go up....but not blackpool.

where ever he goes, people will be expecting promotion.......pressure will be on

Hope he doesnt go to Blackpool as it won`t suit the passing style of football he promotes...

not on a pitch where the ground staff seem to prepare the surface with a rotavator

• 2 months later...