Nigel Adkins - Sacked

exit2

Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?  

678 members have voted

1. 1. Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?

There is an interesting article in today’s Times about the sour taste of sacking by their chief football correspondent.

Referring to Saints when he writes:

‘We kid ourselves that football is a results business. At an increasing number of clubs, run by power-crazed or merely giddy, star-struck executives, it is not. A culture has arisen where managers are distrusted and where the judgement of agents, advisers and sycophants resonates far louder in the board room’.

He notes that Saints have performed very well – ‘Southampton have been one of the great success stories of the premier league this season’.

However – ‘The words that accompanied yesterday’s brutal sacking implied that Adkins was a weight that was in danger of dragging them down. From the outside, it has looked, not just over the past two seasons but over the past two months, like the precise opposite’.

I fear that Cortese is not just a knave but also a fool.

Yep.

Lot of sense from WC CS & DPS.

Still sad.

Timing is appalling.

Record at Espanyol this season is appalling.

We all rebelled at the treatment and sacking of Pardew.

Dubai Saints will convene in the pub earlier than usual Monday night, we'll have an open forum and discuss our official reaction.

Yeah, that's better.

Should we have a swear box with proceeds going to charity.

I think the "C" word at 5 dhs a go could be quite a money spinner

I've been disappointed at SFC-related decisions before. This is different. This is, to quote SaintsHub, 'an unnecessary gamble'. This is needlessly jeopardising the stability at the club. On the face of it, it looks like one of the most ridiculous decisions in English football for quite some time.

I know a lot of people will have a go, call me a moron, not a true supporter, say I'm overreacting, etc. but I think the vast majority of Saints fans are in agreement with me.

well a new day and it is stil lhard to believe,its really like losing a family member.

have to say if this is the way saints are going to do business then there are going to be more days like this.

how cortese ever thinks we will break into the top elite of football i cant get my head round,

i dont want to be another chelsea with no soul to their club anymore.

will always get behind the lads but this pill is very hard to swallow

Well, as you can guess there was only ONE topic of conversation in the Sky Compound this morning at the golf. One of their close up cameramen is a Brighton fan "I know he said some words about us but what Cortese has done is so wrong. He'd got you playing some of the best football in the PL - Disgusting"

Reading fan "Thank Christ now we can get him in"

But the general consensus - What the hell was NC thinking? I explained "His Vision" and they all agreed they would like to have whatever it is he smokes

Later during the round 2nd placed Donaldson hit his ball up a Palm Tree. Cameras arrived to find a "There's only one Nigel Adkins" poster pinned to the tree.

They made a point of showing it after they had fallen about laughing

Nigel Agkins deserved the sack for playing Danny Fox for about 6 games too long. He was keeping Shaw out of the team, which must have cost us a decent start to the season. Sh !t, he was keeping a traffic cone out of the team, which would have saved us a couple of points on its own.

I think the talent pathway is a bit of a bone of contention at SFC. Nigel paid lip service to it but didn't actually do much about it. If Fox had been in any way adequate Luke would still be in the youth teams. Cortese wants talent from the academy structure in the first team all over the field, he's not getting much of it and when José got injured we had to go and spend money again because nothing is coming through.

I think the talent pathway is a bit of a bone of contention at SFC. Nigel paid lip service to it but didn't actually do much about it. If Fox had been in any way adequate Luke would still be in the youth teams. Cortese wants talent from the academy structure in the first team all over the field, he's not getting much of it and when José got injured we had to go and spend money again because nothing is coming through.

As I posted yesterday, I can see this being one of the (fan-unseen) flashpoints between Cortese (and Reed) and Adkins and the coaching staff. As GM said, Fox was one of our biggest liabilities of the early season but we kept sticking him out there, and belatedly reconfigured our back line (still no Shaw) to cover for him. But when we finally brought Shaw in, he looked like he'd been playing in the PL for years, and Lallana became more effective as well. In Cortese's and Reed's eyes, that would have been them right and the coaching staff horribly wrong. Not just team selection wrong, but also wrong in terms of Cortese's principle of bringing the youngsters through.

Adkins played JWP in a lot of big games, ahead of established players. He's given loads of youngsters a run out in the league cup. He should have probably played Shaw earlier, but Shaw had injury and illness problems for the first few months of the season, plus its a massive call putting a lad way off his 18th birthday into such a potentially exposed position in the Premier League. Who else would you have expected to see playing more regularly? I've seen a fair bit of the Development team or whatever they're called and not many look close to Prem standard.

Adkins played JWP in a lot of big games, ahead of established players. He's given loads of youngsters a run out in the league cup. He should have probably played Shaw earlier, but Shaw had injury and illness problems for the first few months of the season, plus its a massive call putting a lad way off his 18th birthday into such a potentially exposed position in the Premier League. Who else would you have expected to see playing more regularly? I've seen a fair bit of the Development team or whatever they're called and not many look close to Prem standard.

Exactly. People keep lauding the fact that this new guy gave debuts to 23 youngsters at Espanyol but that just sounds like desperation to me.

Fair enough but if you look at the Chelsea game, the one before the big decision, I'd venture the opinion that JWP would probably have been more effective than the plodding, space-marking S. Davis. Look, I'm not trying to excuse what Cortese did yesterday, least of all the timing, but I am trying to see it through Cortese's (and Reed's) eyes. And I keep stressing Reed because I suspect that he had a much bigger part in this than most of us have hitherto realized.

Exactly. People keep lauding the fact that this new guy gave debuts to 23 youngsters at Espanyol but that just sounds like desperation to me.
It's back to many trying to re-write the season to suit their own agendas. No doubt adkins got some things wrong, I certainly didn't agree with all his decisions, but you could see how he was learning and developing with the squad. I'm sure one of the experts on here will tell us who from the development squad should have been playing this season.

Fair enough but if you look at the Chelsea game, the one before the big decision, I'd venture the opinion that JWP would probably have been more effective than the plodding, space-marking S. Davis. Look, I'm not trying to excuse what Cortese did yesterday, least of all the timing, but I am trying to see it through Cortese's (and Reed's) eyes. And I keep stressing Reed because I suspect that he had a much bigger part in this than most of us have hitherto realized.

Why do you suspect that?

I've seen a fair bit of the Development team or whatever they're called and not many look close to Prem standard.
...and Danny Fox is? The problem that Adkins had, was that he was supported by Cortese to the tune of £30million in the summer transfer window. That made Southampton FC the SEVENTH biggest spenders in Europe, ahead of Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Juventus. That has worked out at nearly £1.5M a point, so far. I'm sorry, but if I had given £7M to Adkins for a player and he came back with Jay Rodrigues, I'd have slapped him round the face, then sacked him. Sadly, he's proved he's a championship standard manager that has a degree in physcho-babble, not football tactics and recognising a premiership standard player...

You think one of the reasons for sacking Adkins was that he chose to play Davis ahead of JWP? :lol: JWP has shown a fair bit of potential, but certainly struggled to get to grips with Chelsea at times in the cup game, Davis lacked a bit of dynamism, but was neat and tidy out there on Weds. JWP has made 12 appearances for Saints this season by the middle of January - that's far more than most 18 year olds get at any club.

...and Danny Fox is? The problem that Adkins had, was that he was supported by Cortese to the tune of £30million in the summer transfer window. That made Southampton FC the SEVENTH biggest spenders in Europe, ahead of Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Juventus. That has worked out at nearly £1.5M a point, so far. I'm sorry, but if I had given £7M to Adkins for a player and he came back with Jay Rodrigues, I'd have slapped him round the face, then sacked him. Sadly, he's proved he's a championship standard manager that has a degree in physcho-babble, not football tactics and recognising a premiership standard player...
So you wanted Adkins to play Shaw when he was injured or ill? Why did you want him to do that? Edited by Sour Mash

Why do you suspect that?

Because, for all his arrogance, Cortese recognizes his limitations on the playing side and knows that he needs a "football man" as an advisor and confidante - all the more so because he doesn't trust many people. Reed fills that role IMO. Who else might?

He didn't give Adkins £7m to go shopping with. That's not how players are signed at Southampton.....as you know.

You think one of the reasons for sacking Adkins was that he chose to play Davis ahead of JWP? :lol: JWP has shown a fair bit of potential, but certainly struggled to get to grips with Chelsea at times in the cup game, Davis lacked a bit of dynamism, but was neat and tidy out there on Weds. JWP has made 12 appearances for Saints this season by the middle of January - that's far more than most 18 year olds get at any club.

I didn't say that. What I was getting at, trying to see this through Cortese's eyes, is that decisions like that could have been seen as a reluctance to comply with "the program". It might not have been a critical incident but - in Cortese's and Reed's eyes - another one in an annoying line. But if you felt that Davis was "neat and tidy" on Wednesday, we probably see the game differently anyway.

Because, for all his arrogance, Cortese recognizes his limitations on the playing side and knows that he needs a "football man" as an advisor and confidante - all the more so because he doesn't trust many people. Reed fills that role IMO. Who else might?

To be honest I have little knowledge of what Reed does. He certainly has a powerful position. All I have read about him has been on here and it has all pretty much been negative.

He didn't give Adkins £7m to go shopping with. That's not how players are signed at Southampton.....as you know.

Adkins is responsible for the players we signed. As far as I can see, he was as responsible as Mark Hughes at QPR for a very average return for a shed load of money. Unless you're suggesting that Cortese should have taken the responsibility for the way he spent the money.

Adkins is responsible for the players we signed. As far as I can see, he was as responsible as Mark Hughes at QPR for a very average return for a shed load of money. Unless you're suggesting that Cortese should have taken the responsibility for the way he spent the money.

no, the transfer committee is

Right. So that's why Adkins was sacked. Thanks for the insight.

I'll make it easy. Adkins was sacked because he was given the 7th largest transfer fund in Europe and still managed to be one of the least successful Southampton Premiership managers in history and Cortese has taken a punt with a promising young manager who played a decent level of football and probably has a better grasp of tactics and developing young players than an ex-Bangor City goalkeeper. This before the transfer window shuts and we still have an opportunity to push forward...

I'll make it easy. Adkins was sacked because he was given the 7th largest transfer fund in Europe and still managed to be one of the least successful Southampton Premiership managers in history and Cortese has taken a punt with a promising young manager who played a decent level of football and probably has a better grasp of tactics and developing young players than an ex-Bangor City goalkeeper. This before the transfer window shuts and we still have an opportunity to push forward...

Taking a punt with the most important appointment to a multi million pound business. Taking a punt...I hope you're not a businessman.

Nigel Agkins deserved the sack for playing Danny Fox for about 6 games too long. He was keeping Shaw out of the team, which must have cost us a decent start to the season. Sh !t, he was keeping a traffic cone out of the team, which would have saved us a couple of points on its own.

So which one you going to pick as your final answer?

Plenty of jobs on the horizon for NA. Even tho Pardew has that mega contract at the barcodes who would now bet against NA replacing AP for a second time?

if Pardew goes they'll get a French coach, probably Puel. It's a French team up there and will be more so when Yanga-Mbiwa and Gomis arrive.

Plenty of jobs on the horizon for NA. Even tho Pardew has that mega contract at the barcodes who would now bet against NA replacing AP for a second time?

My money's on Blackpool and he would be immense for them.

Personally, if I was Randy Lerner I would fire Lambert and install Adkins before the game this evening.

That gives him 10 minutes. ;)

No, but should it leave you short of Swansea, Norwich and performing marginally better than Reading?

The amount is almost immaterial.

The Chairman has ambition. He'll operate like it.

Well it all comes back to who's decision it was to spend the vast majority of it on forwards instead of defenders/keepers.

Well it all comes back to who's decision it was to spend the vast majority of it on forwards instead of defenders/keepers.

Keeper was NA 1000%. For him KD was the number1uberbeesbollix accept no substitute, he didn't care who they got cos he wasn't going to get a game anyway. Could have got Jack the Ripper for all he cared . Blind faith in your mates you see. As I keep telling you all but you won't listen this is what cost NA his job

Edited by Window Cleaner

Taking a punt with the most important appointment to a multi million pound business. Taking a punt...I hope you're not a businessman.
I'm a businessman in the R&D sector and I can tell you, every new product is a punt. You just make your choice based on the best information to hand. Like judging a manager on the results of his team, not on the opinion of a crowd of clueless football fans, whose business and money is not on the line...

£30m doesn't begin to buy you a team of Premiership players.

Garbage. Norwich haven't spent anything like we did. West Brom have been up forever and still have not spent more than about five mil on a single player. We have spent money like a lottery winner on crack.

Keeper was NA 1000%. For him KD was the number1uberbeesbollix accept no substitute, he didn't care who they got cos he wasn't going to get a game anyway. Could have got Jack the Ripper for all he cared . Blind faith in your mates you see. As I keep telling you all but you won't listen this is what cost NA his job
Well thats not quite true is it. As Adkins dropped Davis a couple of times and only brought him back when the other two f*****d up. How many points do you think Davis cost us this season out of interest?