Nigel Adkins - Sacked

exit2

Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?  

678 members have voted

1. 1. Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?

I've supported Saints since the 50s and the sacking is not remotely "saintly" but if you consider the toings and goings since Ted Bates and Laurie Mac perhaps it is in character. Cdertainly it is an expression of extreme ambition on NC's behalf. A day ago I thought relegation at last unlikely; now I know NC sees it as top four next year or bust and relegation completely unthinkable. I just hope we don't lose the tactical pragmatism that has seen us get some good results recently.

Not so much as a thank you to Nigel Adkins in Cortese's statement. Just got home so haven't checked but I understand Cortese wasn't at the press conference. What sort of leadership is that? This is a massive and unnecessary gamble with our PL status. This new bloke better be good.

Just been reading the Pardew getting sacked thread.

Eerily similar.

Big difference in that NA was approached and appointed well after AP was sacked. Whereas MP stabbed NA in the back by agreeing to take the man's job while he was still in it.

IMO, it takes a certain type of ***t to do that.

MP not to blame for the situation? Get behind the new manager? B0ll0cks! Respect has to be earned and he has started in a very bad way to my mind.

Big difference in that NA was approached and appointed well after AP was sacked. Whereas MP stabbed NA in the back by agreeing to take the man's job while he was still in it.

MP not to blame for the situation? Get behind the new manager? B0ll0cks! Respect has to be earned and he has started in a very bad way to my mind.

Strachan did it to Gray and that didn't turn out too bad. This happens day in, day out in football with players and managers alike - its a fact of football life. It is naive to think otherwise.

When Pardew was sacked, people were moaning because a replacement was not lined up. Can't really win, can you?

I've seen this happen in the workplace. One contractor is leaving with another arriving to replace him on the following Monday. Is it nice? Of course not. But it's the best way for a business to get over the transition if it feels that someone has to go, even more so if the incoming employee is prepared to bone up so they can hit the ground running. That is what has happened here; team performances may even benefit from his preparations.

Nige has known the score for a long time. He elected to stay on with the club despite clearly feeling his job was in danger after he achieved promotion. You could see the friction between him and Cortese as they were supposed to shake hands with each other. You were only immune from the obvious if you didn't want to see it.

I think most people, myself included, have been shocked or upset by Nigel's departure today. Moving forward, what we do? Start hissing at the players like they do down the Bridge? Have a go at the manager? Not go because we don't like the Chairman?

I've supported this team under worse chairmen and less talented management. If we're relegated at the end of the season, then we'll have questions to ask, and Cortese isn't going to feel as bulletproof in his decision-making. Until then, I'm reserving judgement and am going to give Cortese the benefit of the doubt. It's really the best choice if I want to carry on with this whole supporting Saints lark.

In fact, I would wager a bet that this managerial change was fixed for after the Chelsea away game because NC thought that we would lose that game which would have then made the change look more palatable when it felt, for most fans, like a victory coming back from 2 - 0 down at half time and on the back of improving results makes this change look ridiculous and ill-timed.

Good point, would the reaction have been the same if this had happened after the 5-1 against Chelsea? Rhetorical question. That said I think this is an I'll timed decision that introduces an element of risk where that element of risk need not be. Wait till the end of the season after we'd staid up (Which I'm confident we would have done), then do the ruthless bit and get the continental tactician with all his euro knowledge and contacts in to get to know the players and build the team in his own image and with a couple of Michu style signings in for good measure. Instead we have a rush job on with all the communication difficulties and player disgruntlement issues that could very easily be enough to relegate a team that had just got into the groove but that is,after all, only 3 points above the drop. Let's just hope it doesn't pan out like that - oh, and let's not all react like it already has.

As someone who just wants the best for our club, I believe you have to rise above sentiment and support decisions that are made in the best interests of having a successful team. I see the new manager as an exciting development and a statement of intent, because it will have cost the club a significant sum in NA's compensation. Having said that, I'm disapointed that the OS could not have been used by the Chairman to divert some of the criticism of the decision to sack Adkins, by including a positive appraisal of his time here and an explanation of why the decision was taken. That would have taken some of the steam out of the predictable outcry. Instead, the OS couldn't even get the date of the managerial change right by saying in the article on MP's appointment that his first game in charge would be on Mon 21st December! Be interesting to see if that mistake gets covered up.

Adkins has been great for Saints and how he's been treated is poor, but I take some comfort from the quotes from both Forren & Pochettino re the project /plans for the club. We've all read of the 5 yr plan cortese had with liebherr, however, i take some reassurance that a plan remains to improve the club, as whether unfounded or not, i had fears the club might have been sold & i feel that would leave us vulnerable.

It is a sad way to end the NA tenure, but the episode reminds us of Cortese's ambition for the club. He has taken a gamble changing things now not at the end of this season when it appears that we were on course to stay up. Clearly though the decision had been taken some time ago.

We will lose some neutral support from the way this is handled, Mick McArthy was on the radio last night making his views clear, and the press certainly are starting to make their feelings known

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/9810861/Nigel-Adkins-stabbed-in-the-back-by-Southampton-as-Argentina-Mauricio-Pochettino-steps-in-as-manager.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jan/18/nigel-adkins-southampton

All said and done though I hope we quickly get behind the new manager for the sake of the team, I want to see Saints successful playing in a good style. I will just have to live with the fact that sadly the future business dealings will be more "clinical" than most would like. We have seen ourselves as club of family values for a long time, but the reality is that we have not been like that for many years. Let us hope that playing and financial success is going to be secured by the current regime.

Edited by positivepete
Add another URL

Yep. My original reaction was anger and disgust and I'm still annoyed at the way Nigel has been treated. But that's the way with football. I assume he's had a decent payoff and will pick up another job fairly quickly. Apart from a token protest which I'm sure will happen Monday, we need to get behind the new man. If he gets a couple of decent results that will help. After all, who's still holding a candle for Pardew?

Well I am not holding a candle for Pardew, but still maintain that we should have re-appointed Hoddle in 2004.

Brave decision....very brave. I am hoping this guy has the same effect Laudrup had for Swansea.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Laudrup can at least speak English and talk to his players

The only topic the Argentinian can converse with is when does he get the Falkland Islands back

I think a lot of the feeling on this stems from people's unhappiness with how football is going.

Ridiculous ticket prices, ticket tax, games moved all over the place, players on incomprehensible money, owners treating clubs like their personal play things, heavy handed stewards forcing you to sit, mercenary managers...

But through all of that, we had Nigel Adkins, a very talented manager but also a bloody good bloke, and despite all the other stuff, here was somebody the fans could connect with, it made us feel more in touch with our club.

So to sack him just when things were on the up brings all that other stuff into sharp focus, we are no different, just another club with stupid prices and fans being treated like ****.

I feel so so sorry for NA, a really really decent bloke who did not deserve this.

If Pochetinno goes on and does great things then I will accept that NC is a cold hearted so-and-so but he know what he is doing.

If Pochetinno fails then I hope that Marcus's family gives NC a taste of his own medcine, I'm sure Europe is full of money men who know about football

When Pardew was sacked, people were moaning because a replacement was not lined up. Can't really win, can you?

I've seen this happen in the workplace. One contractor is leaving with another arriving to replace him on the following Monday. Is it nice? Of course not. But it's the best way for a business to get over the transition if it feels that someone has to go, even more so if the incoming employee is prepared to bone up so they can hit the ground running. That is what has happened here; team performances may even benefit from his preparations.

Nige has known the score for a long time. He elected to stay on with the club despite clearly feeling his job was in danger after he achieved promotion. You could see the friction between him and Cortese as they were supposed to shake hands with each other. You were only immune from the obvious if you didn't want to see it.

I think most people, myself included, have been shocked or upset by Nigel's departure today. Moving forward, what we do? Start hissing at the players like they do down the Bridge? Have a go at the manager? Not go because we don't like the Chairman?

I've supported this team under worse chairmen and less talented management. If we're relegated at the end of the season, then we'll have questions to ask, and Cortese isn't going to feel as bulletproof in his decision-making. Until then, I'm reserving judgement and am going to give Cortese the benefit of the doubt. It's really the best choice if I want to carry on with this whole supporting Saints lark.

Spot on post

What has happened is harsh .. But it HAS happened and no amount of moaning will change that.

Cortese is either mental or inspired. So it's either " hello Championship " in May or European football in 3-5 years time.

Very well put

I am upset with all these foreigners coming in buying our clubs to make a fast buck with no regard to the fans

i know everybody hates Pompey but if you forget the rivalry etc they have really been shafted by greedy people

I have never been sure about Adkins as a tactitican but as a man manager is was really good unlike Cortese who seems quite crazy and I have always thought his actions bizarre with no regard to SFC staff or fans

He has been successful on the back of lamberts success but will this success last only time will tell but he has sacked three managers so far

Laudrup can at least speak English and talk to his players

The only topic the Argentinian can converse with is when does he get the Falkland Islands back

Of course. Because that is the only thing any Argentinian would be interested in. In the same way that you - presumably - only ever talk about reuniting the British Empire, yes? Or perhaps I'm just making an ignorant generalisation....

I am upset with all these foreigners coming in buying our clubs to make a fast buck with no regard to the fans

Make a fast buck ? Have your personal fortune depleted by a couple of hundred million you mean. I'd say to date owning Saints has cost M Liebherr and his estate somewhere around 100 million and it ain't going to get much better at any time in the near future.

Make a fast buck ? Have your personal fortune depleted by a couple of hundred million you mean. I'd say to date owning Saints has cost M Liebherr and his estate somewhere around 100 million and it ain't going to get much better at any time in the near future.

Exactly. Markus had a long term plan in place, and the majority of his investment has gone into the redevelopment of staplewood and the category 1 academy infrastructure.

Maybe if pompey had done the same, instead of signing untold numbers of overpaid mercenaries with no resale value, they wouldn't be in the position they are now.

There's no way that markus was trying to make a 'quick buck' and everything cortese has done up to now has born that out.

It is a sad way to end the NA tenure, but the episode reminds us of Cortese's ambition for the club. He has taken a gamble changing things now not at the end of this season when it appears that we were on course to stay up. Clearly though the decision had been taken some time ago.

We will lose some neutral support from the way this is handled, Mick McArthy was on the radio last night making his views clear, and the press certainly are starting to make their feelings known

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/9810861/Nigel-Adkins-stabbed-in-the-back-by-Southampton-as-Argentina-Mauricio-Pochettino-steps-in-as-manager.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jan/18/nigel-adkins-southampton

All said and done though I hope we quickly get behind the new manager for the sake of the team, I want to see Saints successful playing in a good style. I will just have to live with the fact that sadly the future business dealings will be more "clinical" than most would like. We have seen ourselves as club of family values for a long time, but the reality is that we have not been like that for many years. Let us hope that playing and financial success is going to be secured by the current regime.

well the telegraph got the 2-3years ahead of schedule wrong, also adding that NA left in tears. I doubt that NA would have left in tears,surely his psychology would stop that Edited by OldNick

Having reflected, I believe the decision was made back before Christmas. At the time a lot of people expected NA to go and in fact NC was commended for not pulling the trigger at that point. I seem to recall someone saying what was the point in saving NA when there was no one better lined up to take over. What none of us realised was that NC had made his mind up and started the wheels in motion, and he is not one for changing his mind. The hardest part is that this move has coincided with an uptick in form which makes the move seem callous, however how much outrage would there have been if we had continued on pre December trajectory.

Good luck NA. NC, you better be right about this argentine, and finally COYS

I got to say I was shocked at the news of NA departure. I thought he had got his act sorted to some extent, so the timing was a little surprising. I figured he should have been sacked after the WBA debacle, I admired how he got us playing decent football. However in defence we have been very poor with a bit of improvement shown lately.When we got promoted from the championship and NA had all that money to spend, he should have dealt with our central defence issues as it was quite obvious we were weak there.Too me that would be NA biggest failing if I was going to pick faults with him. I guess the bottom line is , if you got owners who are prepared to put in 30M to buy players then you need to get your finger out. When we were in the League 1 we had the biggest budget to all teams in that division. In the Championship aside from Leicester we had the biggest budget in that division, although this does not guarantee promotion it is a massive help. While I know the Fa Cup is not as important as survival in the League. It was a bit too much too lose 1-5 at home to anyone, if you have any ambition of going places this kind of result cannot happen. Another massive problem for me was our inability to hold on to a lead and the impossibility to keep a clean sheet. In a ideal world everything carry`s on as normal and nothing changes, well things have changed and hopefully the new manager will bring us to a new level.

I appreciate people`s loyalty to the manager, but this is more than just survival as NC is massively ambitious. Obviously it will be interesting to see how things pan out. If you look at how MP had Espanyol playing I think there could be positives out of this. Although he is being vilified at the present time, people have very short memories. Between ML and NC`s ability to see Southampton as something bigger than our normal greatness of mid table or relegation fodder. Since the journey started all his decisions have been positive in so much as the Saints have been on an upward projection in a very short period relatively speaking. So I personally back NC 100% in all his decisions, Appreciate Nigel Adkins for everything he has achieved for us, however life goes on. This is just another chapter in what could be a glorious time for us or perhaps as the majority seem to feel, NC is a demigod and we are up s h i t street.

Time will tell

COYRs

Never been a great fan of Cortese but his stock raised in my eyes when he stood by Adkins when things weren't going well. Clearly he wasn't standing by him at all and just biding his time to bring this new guy in. I feel sick and tird of the way clubs become playthings for egomaniacs. I bet Pardew and Adkins have interesting tales to tell each other.

interesting discussion on sky sports today @ 12.15 pretty well all are amazed, confused, disgusted. NA will be well sort after now, most Chairmen needing a good manager will be chasing him. How could we get rid of NC he's such a **** .

Edited by gazzzza

Cortese is ambitious impatient and ruthless, his decisions are all pure business decisions, he has no room for sentiment! This is how he suceeded in banking! It is a big gamble! will it work? only time will tell! I beleive Nigel has been sacrificied for being too loyal and too nice! probably for showing too much sentiment towards the players that brought him up and feeling they would improve over time rather than replacing them ruthlessly the goal keeping and centre backs maybe being a typical example!

I think a lot of the feeling on this stems from people's unhappiness with how football is going.

Ridiculous ticket prices, ticket tax, games moved all over the place, players on incomprehensible money, owners treating clubs like their personal play things, heavy handed stewards forcing you to sit, mercenary managers...

But through all of that, we had Nigel Adkins, a very talented manager but also a bloody good bloke, and despite all the other stuff, here was somebody the fans could connect with, it made us feel more in touch with our club.

So to sack him just when things were on the up brings all that other stuff into sharp focus, we are no different, just another club with stupid prices and fans being treated like ****.

Agree with this.

You can still support the team and detest the Chairman. Boycott the corporate b--s--t and get behind the team.

Cortese is ambitious impatient and ruthless, his decisions are all pure business decisions, he has no room for sentiment! This is how he suceeded in banking! It is a big gamble! will it work? only time will tell! I beleive Nigel has been sacrificied for being too loyal and too nice! probably for showing too much sentiment towards the players that brought him up and feeling they would improve over time rather than replacing them ruthlessly the goal keeping and centre backs maybe being a typical example!

C--tese gave NA 5 years to get to the Prem - did it in 3 - whats the problem with that moron?

Nigel should wait until May and see what jobs become available. He should not take the Blackpool job as it is a small club with little money and another volatile chairman. By May Nigel will probably have half the Championship clubs at his door and a couple of PL Clubs. Maybe he should consider a move abroad, to widen his appeal in the PL if his family circumstances permit?

If he does wait until May, our next Chairman may even re-hire him for a new drive into the PL (dreaming!)

Nigel should wait until May and see what jobs become available. He should not take the Blackpool job as it is a small club with little money and another volatile chairman. By May Nigel will probably have half the Championship clubs at his door and a couple of PL Clubs. Maybe he should consider a move abroad, to widen his appeal in the PL if his family circumstances permit?

come on....only wigan in the prem would hire him...

and no one of note abroad will

i think getting a little carried away here

There is an interesting article in today’s Times about the sour taste of sacking by their chief football correspondent.

Referring to Saints when he writes:

‘We kid ourselves that football is a results business. At an increasing number of clubs, run by power-crazed or merely giddy, star-struck executives, it is not. A culture has arisen where managers are distrusted and where the judgement of agents, advisers and sycophants resonates far louder in the board room’.

He notes that Saints have performed very well – ‘Southampton have been one of the great success stories of the premier league this season’.

However – ‘The words that accompanied yesterday’s brutal sacking implied that Adkins was a weight that was in danger of dragging them down. From the outside, it has looked, not just over the past two seasons but over the past two months, like the precise opposite’.

I fear that Cortese is not just a knave but also a fool.