Nigel Adkins - Sacked

exit2

Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?  

678 members have voted

1. 1. Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?

Hey Nicola! Here’s an idea, why not find out from your customers what they actually want. Most Saints supporters I know don’t want Champions League football. We want a club that treats its employees properly and a club we’re proud to support, even if this is in a lower division. I was proud to have a young up and coming English manager in charge of my team (yes my team not yours) and proud of the way he managed the team into the Premier League. Nigel is a loyal, thoroughly decent man who oozed positivity (qualities sadly missing from some I am afraid) and is sure to be snapped up quickly. I think Marcus will be looking down on you with his Saints scarf wrapped tightly around his neck, shaking his head thinking like most of us as to what a stupid arrogant decision this is by someone who has been fortunate to have this club left to him to play with.

The fans are not the customers anymore! it is the Tv income and the worldwide sales. no one cares what the fans want they are now just a minor source of income!

i feel for adkins as much as the next man, but i dont agree with the cortese bashing on here today

has cortese ever let us down? no he hasnt both pardew and adkins did very well here but having nc as chairman made there jobs easier.

maybe pocchetino is the way to push on to the next level ? cortese has a vision and he will do whatever it takes to get us there

I'm in total agreement with you in as much that some tactical decisions from Adkins this season have been strange to say the least. I think you are probably correct that this has been in the pipeline for a little while and not at all relevent to recent performances. My angle on things is that If Cortese wanted to replace Nigel then surely the club is now in a position to attract a manager with a proven track record. The other thing that I cannot stand is the usual cold way that Cortese conducts business without feelings for the people within the club or the loyal supporters that follow this fantastic football club. I worked for the club myself until a few months ago and left of my own accord because of the arrogant way the club is run.

Cortese has massive ambitions for our club, maybe too massive and they`re going to be extra hard to achieve from the Championship which is surely where we are now bound.

Like a previous poster feel like someone I liked died.

Very tough gig for Pochettino, whoever he is.

Fecking short arsed egomaniac.

"There`s only one Nigel Adkins"

Utter madness!!

But i predicted that Cortese would remove him when he thought he (NA) could not take us on to the next level.

He is ruthless, but today makes me a very sad & embarrassed Saints fan.

Part of me wants us to get relegated. I just dont think this is the right way to run a business, football club or treat people.

Yes. I've gone from feeling top of the world after Wednesday to seeing my club be destroyed.

Exactly the same here. From the quality goal celebration in the away end at Chelsea after Puncheon's goal and feeling on top of the world n'all, to feeling like I can't be bothered with this football b*llocks anymore.

Absolutely gutted about Nigel but you have to agree Cortese appears absolutely driven to achieve his aims. It would appear he is as ruthless with the managerial position as he is with the programme sellers and his belief must be it is the way we need to go to achieve his targets.

IMO today leaves no doubt about where he is aiming..whether one man can make all the right decisions to get there is the question that can only be answered by time. However it has all worked so far as we are ahead of schedule.

Whether others can stomach the decisions and actions he feels he needs to take to get there is answered above.

IF (big if) we are playing in the champions league in 5 years you will have to say Cortese was right today.

If he is right will you be there in 5 years time singing his name or boycotting as he sacked Adkins?

Ruthless, yes...to the point of heartless, yes...but wrong? (based on results not morals) no evidence of that so far?

You got to ask how much do you want success? .Cortese wants it very badly... obviously!

Just been reading through the announcement on the OS. Now I'd say from that that we are not integrating our youngsters into the first team in sufficient quantity and that is being held against Nigel. Shaw isn't enough perhaps, perhaps we aren't attracting sufficient quality to the academy to provide first team players and are having to buy too many in. I'd say coaching and development side of things is being called into question.

I've been at work today, so have had a chance to really digest this - found myself in a foul mood though, when everyone else was pretty chirpy because of the snow etc.

After a good few hours thinking over this, I am still in shock, bemusement and I'm so angry. I never wanted Adkins gone from this club, even during our sticky spell I hoped we'd stick with him as I felt we'd have had more chance of success with him, rather than changing everything. After we got over that start and begun picking up points I was positive. I was proud that my club didn't knee jerk when so many others have, I was proud that we still stuck with the manager that provided us with this opportunity.

How ****ing wrong was I. I'm embarrassed to be a fan of this club right now, down right embarrassed. No one deserves to be treated how Adkins has been treated, it's a complete disgrace.

I will stand up and say that I have been vocally sticking up for Cortese, but I've always thought the guy is a ruthless dictator - but he was getting results, and he stuck with our manager and showed patience. But I was wrong, he's got a lot to answer for if this doesn't provide INSTANT results.

In one foul swoop he has ruined a recently built-up feel good factor around this football club. There are now talks of protests and the like, when really we should be going into Monday excited on the back of an excellent performance at Chelsea.

But alas we go forward with an unknown johnny foreigner, who doesn't speak English, so will probably fit in well as it'll allow Cortese to control even more.

The ambition we have is completely off tangent with the size of club we are, and quite clearly by this move Cortese didn't expect us to be struggling this year. He's gone right down in my estimations.

After saying the other night how I felt the 2nd half of the season would be exciting, I'm now dreading it. It has echo's of Wotte and co. It's destined to fail, and I bet you every single neutral in the land will be hoping it does fail.

Well done Cortese, well done.

But we don't know why he's been suddenly sacked, it should have been done a while back, last break just before we got arsed on by Sunderland due to a shockingly bad goalkeeping selection. Something may have gone on in the background that we cannot possibly know about. Pochettino has been available for a couple of montrhs so why today. There's more to it than meets the eye I expect.

This has more than likely been brewing for a while and nothing to do with recent events. The problem I have with it is that surely we could have attracted a manager with some kind of proven track record of success and the usual cold way Cortese goes about things without a care for the people within the club or the fantastic supporters that follow Saints.

Absolutely gutted about Nigel but you have to agree Cortese appears absolutely driven to achieve his aims. It would appear he is as ruthless with the managerial position as he is with the programme sellers and his belief must be it is the way we need to go to achieve his targets.

IMO today leaves no doubt about where he is aiming..whether one man can make all the right decisions to get there is the question that can only be answered by time. However it has all worked so far as we are ahead of schedule.

Whether others can stomach the decisions and actions he feels he needs to take to get there is answered above.

IF (big if) we are playing in the champions league in 5 years you will have to say Cortese was right today.

If he is right will you be there in 5 years time singing his name or boycotting as he sacked Adkins?

Ruthless, yes...to the point of heartless, yes...but wrong? (based on results not morals) no evidence of that so far?

You got to ask how much do you want success? .Cortese wants it very badly... obviously!

Indeed it does. I'm not sure I will be able to continue my support if this is the case. I would find it almost impossible to support Chelsea mark two. Any sort of success would feel hollow...

Not true. The fans are directly and indirectly the major source of income. It's just that they are taken for granted, on the assumption that they will carry on turning up whatever.

We have seen that that isn't the case with QPR and Fulham. Small grounds big budgets.15000 STs brings in about 7 million £ after VAT, a drop in the ocean when compared to 40 million £ TV money, a guaranteed 18 million of which comes from Overseas TV rights. So in theory the match going fans aren't even as important as the foreign TV viewers income wise..

Okay, just found out. Stunned to say the least. Just when it looked like we were making progress.

This has been on the cards for some time, given all the rumours coming out of SMS. Something has not been right with the NA / NC relationship.

The only upside Is that we have two weeks of transfer window left. Better now than in three weeks time.

Massively disappointed

This has more than likely been brewing for a while and nothing to do with recent events. The problem I have with it is that surely we could have attracted a manager with some kind of proven track record of success and the usual cold way Cortese goes about things without a care for the people within the club or the fantastic supporters that follow Saints.

There is nothing wrong with Pochettino as a manager as far as I'm concerned. Then again I had the pleasure of watching him for 3 seasons at PSG as a player..

Okay, just found out. Stunned to say the least. Just when it looked like we were making progress.

This has been on the cards for some time, given all the rumours coming out of SMS. Something has not been right with the NA / NC relationship.

The only upside Is that we have two weeks of transfer window left. Better now than in three weeks time.

Massively disappointed

Apparently we won't be signing any new players apart from Forren. That's it.

I've been at work today, so have had a chance to really digest this - found myself in a foul mood though, when everyone else was pretty chirpy because of the snow etc.

After a good few hours thinking over this, I am still in shock, bemusement and I'm so angry. I never wanted Adkins gone from this club, even during our sticky spell I hoped we'd stick with him as I felt we'd have had more chance of success with him, rather than changing everything. After we got over that start and begun picking up points I was positive. I was proud that my club didn't knee jerk when so many others have, I was proud that we still stuck with the manager that provided us with this opportunity.

How ****ing wrong was I. I'm embarrassed to be a fan of this club right now, down right embarrassed. No one deserves to be treated how Adkins has been treated, it's a complete disgrace.

I will stand up and say that I have been vocally sticking up for Cortese, but I've always thought the guy is a ruthless dictator - but he was getting results, and he stuck with our manager and showed patience. But I was wrong, he's got a lot to answer for if this doesn't provide INSTANT results.

In one foul swoop he has ruined a recently built-up feel good factor around this football club. There are now talks of protests and the like, when really we should be going into Monday excited on the back of an excellent performance at Chelsea.

But alas we go forward with an unknown johnny foreigner, who doesn't speak English, so will probably fit in well as it'll allow Cortese to control even more.

The ambition we have is completely off tangent with the size of club we are, and quite clearly by this move Cortese didn't expect us to be struggling this year. He's gone right down in my estimations.

After saying the other night how I felt the 2nd half of the season would be exciting, I'm now dreading it. It has echo's of Wotte and co. It's destined to fail, and I bet you every single neutral in the land will be hoping it does fail.

Well done Cortese, well done.

Spot on. You constantly demonstrate you're the best poster on here.

This is absolulutely right. As soon as we began to get the feel good factor again, we get this sort of ---- poured over us. Made to feel a laughing stock again. Cortese OUT!

This has got disaster written all over it. Feels so much like Poortvliet all over again.

We will likely be relegated before the Argentinian chap gets up to speed with the PL (if he ever does) and learns to speak English.

There may be a rash of foreign signings in this window now, with the team starting to become less committed English players and more overseas mercenaries and will they fight for the cause or just be happy to pick up the pay check?

I'm sorry Nige, you were too good for this treatment, but if you go to one of our relegation rivals you may yet have the last laugh ...

This has got disaster written all over it. Feels so much like Poortvliet all over again.

We will likely be relegated before the Argentinian chap gets up to speed with the PL (if he ever does) and learns to speak English.

There may be a rash of foreign signings in this window now, with the team starting to become less committed English players and more overseas mercenaries and will they fight for the cause or just be happy to pick up the pay check?

I'm sorry Nige, you were too good for this treatment, but if you go to one of our relegation rivals you may yet have the last laugh ...

Apparently we won't be signing anyone else...or so it's said. We have a good squad, in fact if anything we need to get rid of some dead wood but who knows if it will still be dead wood with better coaching. No doubt the amount of instantly accumulated dead wood vis a vis the PL has been a concern to the Chairman. The casting aside of Lee and Mayuka must have really rankled with him and to be honest some of our rumoured transfer targets were laughable but then perhaps it was just agent talk. What we must not forget is that Punch who looks a really handy PL player was cast aside by NA and his sidekick Crosby and that proved a big mistake.

sacking is wrong - but I support the Saints - always have done, always will, managers come, managers go, players come, players go, even chairman come and go.......still I support the Saints.......a new chapter has started - let's hope it is as good as the last one.

Good luck to Nigel and thanks for your time with us.

There is nothing wrong with Pochettino as a manager as far as I'm concerned. Then again I had the pleasure of watching him for 3 seasons at PSG as a player..

Do you have knowledge of him as a manager? Watching him for 3 seasons as a player gives no indication of him as a manager.

ps, I'm not picking a fight here, just wondering (honest).

Hi Norwich fan here.

Our teams have a bit in common with two successive promotions. We're both too small to trouble the ' big boys ' but we both seem to be settling into this League this season after rather dodgy starts.

I'm flabbergasted that Adkins has been sacked and replaced by a guy who starts with a massive handicap in that he doesn't speak English !! What did Adkins have to do to keep his job ? Be in the top six from day one ?

A similar thing happened to Chris Hughton when he was doing OK at Newcastle and then Pardew took over. It stinks.

At least your manager can walk into his next job hesd held high and I hope he screws the owner for every penny he can in compensation.

Anyone else still in a stinking f()cking mood about all this?

I'm in a massive mard arse about this - really ruined my day this has...

Can you imagine the team talk Monday night in Spanish, via an interpreter to a bunch of players signed by Adkins.

I see Ricky leaving before 31st Jan now :(

This is a really sh*tty way to treat Adkins, Crosby, Wilkins, Stannard and us fans.

What about the way Hammond and Sharpe were treated, notice the similarity?

That's football. Adkins made a judgement call that he could find better than Hammond, NC has done the same thing. Time will tell if he was right.

All the people talking about protests and never going again, need to get a grip. I'm sure the same people were moaning about Pards going, that was the right call. Here's a thought today's call could be right as well.

Perhaps NC*knows more about football than some people seem to think.

Hi Norwich fan here.

Our teams have a bit in common with two successive promotions. We're both too small to trouble the ' big boys ' but we both seem to be settling into this League this season after rather dodgy starts.

I'm flabbergasted that Adkins has been sacked and replaced by a guy who starts with a massive handicap in that he doesn't speak English !! What did Adkins have to do to keep his job ? Be in the top six from day one ?

A similar thing happened to Chris Hughton when he was doing OK at Newcastle and then Pardew took over. It stinks.

At least your manager can walk into his next job hesd held high and I hope he screws the owner for every penny he can in compensation.

Absolutely. Please know that every single saints fan is disgusted by this decision.

Do you have knowledge of him as a manager? Watching him for 3 seasons as a player gives no indication of him as a manager.

ps, I'm not picking a fight here, just wondering (honest).

He was a great motivator of men in a very mixed race side. Captain dependable and a fantastic defender even if some of his tackles were straight red. I just can't see him getting pushed around and from what i read his management at Espanyol the cinderella club in Barcelona wasn't too bad until they had a financial crisis. Don't forget the Spanish government made football clubs pay or greatly reduce their debt levels last year. It would be like us under the Dutch duo, a lose lose situation..

Fair enough in showing our support to a man who's been a Saints legend in the last few years and showing our disagreement with the decision to remove him however I reckon we should keep these chants to before the match and after the match. Not during the match (if at all).

It's not the new guy's fault (who's name I haven't learnt yet) and he's done nothing wrong so IMO we should still get behind him and the team on Monday night as after all there's still a game to play and a season to save.