Nigel Adkins - Sacked

exit2

Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?  

678 members have voted

1. 1. Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?

Think some of you need to take a deep breath and calm down. The reactionary xenophobic idiocy already being spouted is more shameful on our club than anything NC has done.

Then look at this pragmatically rather than over emotionally.

We all liked Adkins - he is a decent honest guy who I believe has the talent to be a very good manager at the top level....one day... and I kind of thought that his biggest challenge would always be whether he could get there quick enough to meet Cortese's ambition.

It now seems that NA's post match reaction at the Coventry game last seaosn WAS the most telling - a man who kneww he had been brought in to do a job which was get us to the prem and when that happened it would only be a matter of time before he would be replaced with someone who NC felt would be able to take us to the next level.

We are all sadened by this decision because we recognise whtat Nigel; has brought to the club - but I suspect this was not as big a shock to Nigel as it seems to be to fans.

Yes its a risk given the timing, yes it seems callous given all NIgel has achieved, but to start acting like a bunch of 3 years olds, crying, protesting, and being all anti the new guy is childish and ridiculous... it also simply creates the divisions and culture so amny of you seem worried will return and lets not forget the countless screams for Adkins sacking after 5 games.... football fans, bunch offickle jessies...

As with Pardue, the decision seems to be about a structured strategy - so recent improvements are irrelevent. as with Adkins appointment, it was risky and shocked many, but the last two years showed it was the RIGHT decision.

The new guy, seems to be someone highly regarded in Spain - someone who NC belives will be the right fit for the next chapter or phase - yes its risky, and this time more shocking because NA is such a decent bloke and had achieved so much, but the reality is we did have the financial muscle to get out of those two divisions.

I am sad to see Nigel go. He was for me a breath of fresh air - honest grafter who was learning all the time. I wish him alll the best and thank him for what he has done for the club, but also welcome Mauricio Pochettino - its not his fault we feel bad about Adkins and the childish xenophobia is pathetic.

Ever heard of a thing called loyalty?

And the xenophobic thing is wrong. They are saying he is not from here so thus doesn't have the same emotion as someone from here would. It isn't anti foreign it is anti decisions that make people from here look bad. We are getting a kicking in the press...

Edited by St Marco

Think some of you need to take a deep breath and calm down. The reactionary xenophobic idiocy already being spouted is more shameful on our club than anything NC has done.

Then look at this pragmatically rather than over emotionally.

We all liked Adkins - he is a decent honest guy who I believe has the talent to be a very good manager at the top level....one day... and I kind of thought that his biggest challenge would always be whether he could get there quick enough to meet Cortese's ambition.

It now seems that NA's post match reaction at the Coventry game last seaosn WAS the most telling - a man who kneww he had been brought in to do a job which was get us to the prem and when that happened it would only be a matter of time before he would be replaced with someone who NC felt would be able to take us to the next level.

We are all sadened by this decision because we recognise whtat Nigel; has brought to the club - but I suspect this was not as big a shock to Nigel as it seems to be to fans.

Yes its a risk given the timing, yes it seems callous given all NIgel has achieved, but to start acting like a bunch of 3 years olds, crying, protesting, and being all anti the new guy is childish and ridiculous... it also simply creates the divisions and culture so amny of you seem worried will return and lets not forget the countless screams for Adkins sacking after 5 games.... football fans, bunch offickle jessies...

As with Pardue, the decision seems to be about a structured strategy - so recent improvements are irrelevent. as with Adkins appointment, it was risky and shocked many, but the last two years showed it was the RIGHT decision.

The new guy, seems to be someone highly regarded in Spain - someone who NC belives will be the right fit for the next chapter or phase - yes its risky, and this time more shocking because NA is such a decent bloke and had achieved so much, but the reality is we did have the financial muscle to get out of those two divisions.

I am sad to see Nigel go. He was for me a breath of fresh air - honest grafter who was learning all the time. I wish him alll the best and thank him for what he has done for the club, but also welcome Mauricio Pochettino - its not his fault we feel bad about Adkins and the childish xenophobia is pathetic.

Agree with this mainly, but am still in the mourning phase, so my heart is heavy.

I am usually a fairly even handed poster who has supported the board, but this has infuriated me !

I thought we had more class than this !

I wish Nigel every success in whatever he does next ( he will not be out of work long which is a good thing), and thank him very much for everything he has done for the club. He deserved better IMHO.

Gutted, feel sorry for Nigel as he does not deserve this at all, but at least he can go with his head held high. I hope this does not unsettle the players too much. I know a lot of people are saying we should go down now, but the players don't deserve that and nor do the fans. I'd have happily stuck with Nigel if we went down, I was hoping he would be our manager for many years to come. Sad day for Southampton FC.

Well, like all on here I am really peed off and I thought Nigel did a good job, things were turning around and i liked him.

Now, really depressed about the future. If we are nururing young talent, what about our young talented manager.

But like all fans, we are fickle. If Mauricio Pochettino keeps us up, it'll be because of Nigels previous good work. If we go down, it's because Mauricio didn't have a clue. If he starts winning with flair and conviction and we start to rise up the table, we'll still love Nigel, but will also love Mauricio Pochettino.

Personally, crazy decision and you shouldn't change horses mid stream.

Shocking!

Just look at the comments on the BBC website. At a stroke NC has turned us from everyone's favorite underdogs to the most hated team in the Prem. Sometimes it really is how you play the game :(

I just don't understand, were we supposed to be challenging for a CL place? I know Nigel inexplicably kept playing Guly but I thought that was a phase he'd grow out of...!

Nigel deserved better than this. He is a great bloke as noted by friends if mine who showed him round Bangor's new ground at Christmas. Really down to earth, genuine nice guy were their exact words. I just wish there were more like him in football then we'd have nothing to complain about.

..apart from Guly.

You have to show loyalty to receive it. Sad thing is no doubt the club will be playing the loyalty card to get Luke Shaw to sign a contract and trying to big up the 'your club' angle to sell more tickets.

Just as I thought we were learning the lessons from the past and from other clubs - chopping managers regularly and trying to buy success doesnt work (unless you've got hundreds of millions not just tens) but building team spirit and cohesiveness does - we go and blow it again.

A man at the top whose ego appears to know no bounds.

Sacking a manager at a key time in the season.

Wasting a transfer window.

Manager(s) untried in English football.

Remind me where we saw all this before?????????

Massive gamble by Cortese and harping back to the good ole days, he will be based on results over the next few months.

PS how many moaning today have in the past said we need to be careful we don't lose Cortese as he is instrumental in keeping the Liebherrs on board???

A great comment from the ever-dependable Um Pahars. Good luck to the new manager but don't pretend that Cortese is some kind of genius who has a well-thought out strategy.

Always makes me laugh.... all thi spite and hate for NC now' date=' yet only a few months ago, people were calling for Adkins to be sacked... also would folk still be so upset if it was Pep Guiardola (spelling) who had been brought in? Fickle..FFS[/quote']

Pep Guardiola I could see the merit in. There is a guy with a track record of success at the very highest level.

Surely you're not trying to bracket him with this relative nobody to prove a point, are you Frank?

I like everyone am god smacked but NC is showing some steel,that shows his ambition to fulfill ML vision

I've managed people for 20 years and with my own money for the last 6 and I'll tell you this for nothing. You can have all the steel you want but if your decisions are **** it won't help you.

I've managed people for 20 years and with my own money for the last 6 and I'll tell you this for nothing. You can have all the steel you want but if your decisions are **** it won't help you.

Only time will tell if it is a mistake. The posts on here were very much the same after Pardew left. I hope NC has made a good decision, he has a lot to lose if he fails

But we wont know for a while if the decision is ****. You can't fault many of NC's decisions to date.

Only time will tell if this is the right decision, but at first sight it seems like madness!!

Mr Cortese is clearly a very clever ruthless business man who looked at the fixture and new we were likely to have the start we had.

If he had appointed someone in the close season and we had started as we did there would have uproar. If we got to position where he thought we not be relegated he clearly thought it would be safe to do this. If we never got out of the bottom three i suspect he would have kept Nigel to do the Championship job again.

It will all go wrong if the players do not get behind the new coach and we go back down, but i do think there are three worse teams than us in the league.

Am I fed up, YES, I think Nigel will manage England one day!!!

The only protest I have is not to pay for tickets, but i already have so wht can i do?

I will however be surprised if i get a ST next year the wayi feel now!!!!!!!!!!!!1

What IF..... Adkins signed a contract in the first place that said his job would be to get us to the Premier League and that the club would then look for a new manager? Adkins alluded to this very scenario in his interview after the Coventry game. IF that's the case then Adkins would have taken the job knowing the end game in advance. Might put a different complexion on things. There again, I might be hugely wide of the mark

Spanish Correspondent on Talksport just now thinks this guy will be manager for Real Madrid or Man Utd in a few years.

Sounding a bit brighter...(straw clutched)

You only have to look at his stats to know this is ********. Was sacked by Espanyol and has a win rate of 35% compared to Nigel's 54%! And he can't speak English. This is going to be a disaster for the club. Ridiculous appointment.

The real problem here is the lack of accountability in the way the decision is made. So Cortese has taken an action which the majority of fans disagree with. In terms of explanation we get some vague mutterings about 'progress' and 'long term targets'. Well, what specifically are these aims? How was Adkins responsible for us falling behind? How can it be demonstrated that Pochettino is better qualified?

Currently, like the majority of football clubs in this country, we're run by an inner cabul who take huge decisions without any feeling that they need to explain their actions to the thousands of people who care about the club. Football is not a business like any other. None of us loves, say, Tesco as much as they love Saints. Things like this will keep happening until we can have a genuine say in the running of the club. Until then, we can rage, chant and protest as much as we like and Cortese has no reason at all to care.

Everyone I knew around the world who wasn't a Saints fan has been saying for ages that we'd stay up as I kept quiet, shrugging my shoulders saying I hope so.

I had just started to really believe. I'm not so sure now.

Shocked and saddened. I actually feel a little like a family member has been tragically taken.

Cortese can go screw himself displaying this disgraceful behaviour.

It's not Southampton.

Not Southampton at all.

He's freakin lucky it's crashing down with snow as I for one would be finding my way to his front gate to protest .. if I wasn't 12 thousand miles away.

I am absolutely stunned.

What morals has Pochettino got if he negotiates with a club where the manager is still in place.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. I will never have any sympathy for him.

I am sure Markus would never have done this, Cortese can f%

A desperately desperately sad Mancsaint

What IF..... Adkins signed a contract in the first place that said his job would be to get us to the Premier League and that the club would then look for a new manager? Adkins alluded to this very scenario in his interview after the Coventry game. IF that's the case then Adkins would have taken the job knowing the end game in advance. Might put a different complexion on things. There again, I might be hugely wide of the mark

I for one dont think you are. The comments after the Coventry game suggest you arent either. He knew he was on borrowed time, I think.

Everyone I knew around the world who wasn't a Saints fan has been saying for ages that we'd stay up as I kept quiet, shrugging my shoulders saying I hope so.

Shocked and saddened. I actually feel a little like a family member has been tragically taken.

It's not Southampton.

Not Southampton at all.

He's freakin lucky it's crashing down with snow as I for one would be finding my way to his front gate to protest .. if I wasn't 12 thousand miles away.

behave...we have had one of the worst in-out manager policies in the past

Initially shocked and surprised and somewhat dissapointed with the way NC has gone about this as NA is a lovely bloke who's done a lot for this club in a short space of time.

However......what's done is done now and we must look forward.

The new man looks half decent and NC got the right man in to take us back to the Prem and we have to trust that he has got the right man again to take us to the next level.

Could see some very good Spanish and South American players joining us and watching us play in that style....

Let's wait and see what happens.

Good luck for the future Nigel.

Appalling decision. After all Nigel's achieved, this is how he's treated.

I'm embarrassed to call myself a Saints fan today.

What do you mean how he's treated. He'll get a monster pay out and another job before the week's out. Probably be back in the PL in a short while. If, as it was rumoured not long back, he has an extremely difficult relationship with Cortese and isn't totally in charge of the first team then he's probably not sorry to go.

I'm truly gutted, I really believed Nige could have pushed us on a lot further.

He had an absolute baptism of fire which not surprisingly left us bottom but since then he's really started to learn and adapt.

We were looking better and better and even started to hold our own against the big boys. Survival was looking increasingly realistic.

We've lost a manager that could have gone down as one of our greats for a guy that has an average record and doesn't even speak English.

We are 3 point from relegation with 16 games to go - if nothing else the timing was completely mad. What the hell was Cortese thinking?

What's more Nige was a good guy, a bloke who held out coming here until he'd got S****horpe some decent compo and a guy who was always upbeat and honest.

I liked him as a person and I don't say that about many managers.

The only people who will be happy today (apart from a few odball wind up merchants on here) will be our relegation rivals.

They will be dancing a jig today.

It's not Southampton.

Not Southampton at all.

Edited by theyin
oops, page refresh

And the xenophobic thing is wrong. They are saying he is not from here so thus doesn't have the same emotion as someone from here would. It isn't anti foreign it is anti decisions that make people from here look bad. We are getting a kicking in the press...

Loyalty - its naive to think anyone other than fans show loyalty in football - I suspect Nigel KNEW this was coming as he had been employed to do a particular job.

Xenophobia - go read some of the many threads and then tell me I am wrong

The press - depends who you listen too - Le Tiss on Sky giving the usual anti NC slant or the Spaish football expert who thinks this is an 'exciting' opportunity for Saints.

The problem with these decsions is simply that fans react emotionally - fair enough, but we show feck all loyalty when a manager is poor or inexperienced and results go against him - we chant we want him out... fickle

Time will tell whether NC has made a stupid mistake or a visonary decision - to date he got Pards and Adkins right, they did their job and saw the club progress. We have struggled in the prem, with fans being 'baffled' by Niges's selections and tactics at times... Mauricio Pochettino will be under pressure, but should be given our support, he is our manager now and deserves his chance to win us over. Nigel should and will always have a place in our collective heart for what he has done, but we move on and hopefully on to a new chapter that builds on what nige has delivered to date.

Absolute disgrace.........I'm absolutely fuming. We've watched enough Saints teams over the years to know when the team are giving their all for the manager, and the current squad clearly believed in Nigel. Yoshida confirmed this on the Premier League programme last night. If this new bloke was so good, why was he sacked with 9 points in 13 games? Cortese is behaving like a mini Abramovich, only it's not even his own money! If we had appointed someone like Allardyce who had bags of experience keeping teams in the Premier League, it might have made SOME sense, but still totally wrong.However, to appoint someone who knows bugger all about English football with 16 games left is totally crazy. Jealous of whoever gets Nigel next.