Nigel Adkins - Sacked

exit2

Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?  

678 members have voted

1. 1. Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?

Disgusting and it couldn't of come at a worst time. Team was starting to show what they are capable of and now they are going to have to adjust again to a new way of playing and new mechanics, Oh and the new coach doesn't speak a word of english has a **** managerial record / unproven at this level. Cortese reckons we will be playing like Barcelona overnight with this new guy? lets get back to reality here.

Adkins secure us promotion twice, Sure initially the team struggled to adjust to the Premiership way of playing, but we are battlers and obviously Adkins had the knack to get the best out of the team. Boycott Mondays game this is a f**king joke and Cortese needs to get off his high horse you have just swapped steak for value burgers lol

is this a good time to bring up my regular moan about Cortese treating fans with contempt with high ticket prices, ticket tax, car parking fees, failure to explain BVI loan etc.? He could do no wrong in most of your eyes. Funny how things change. I wonder if the new guy will turn out to be amazing and all the little things that **** me off will be thrown back in my face again because we are doing well on the field?

Time to have Club removed from the company name.

Unbelievable decision. NA had performed well in advance of almost anyone's expectations. What message does it send out to other future candidates that someone as successful as Adkins loses his job when leading Saints to a potentially respectable place in the Premiership? I don't know who this new guy is but its hard to see any positives right now!!

Just like to point out that even if Cortese wanted Pochettino in this is the absolute worst time he could have done it. The guy has to play the teams in fifth, first and second in his first four games, he'll be overseeing our first streak of defeats in months and the fans will still be chanting for Adkins. Just complete insanity on every level, Cortese has knobbled his new toy straight out of the blocks.

I completely agree, and if we did have a poor run with NA it would have at least given him the slimmest of excuses. So this has to be about transfers and the ability to attract players. There is simply no other possible logical reason. Utterly bonkers IMO

This disruption could relegate us. Even some of the best foreign coaches have failed in the premier league... Absolutely gutted for nigel

Exactly. No matter how good this new bloke might be he doesn't know any of our players or anything about Premier League football. Staying up needed a very steady hand on the tiller and now is absolutely not the time to be risking any hiccups.

I'm stunned - I mean we've all seen some nutty decisions with Saints over the last 25 years but this tops the lot, I mean this is worse than Guy 'Biscuit Tin' Askham appointing Ian Long Ball Branfoot or Lowe's foolish Dutch disaster. I've been pro Cortese until now but it needed to be a top manager to dislodge Nigel, not a non-English speaking Espanyol flop. WTF are the players thinking right now? It's pretty clear what the fans think of it.

Speechless and getting texts from all my mates from around the UK asking what the heck our Chairman is up to.

So sorry for Nigel - bet he gets an NPC job with a club on the fringes now, he gets up via the play offs and we pass him. It'd be what we deserved as well. 'One Nigel Adkins' for 90 minutes solid on Monday please.

This is just mental. I could have kind of understood back in November, but now? On a 6 match unbeaten run? Just as we're getting to grips with it all?

I think it'll have probably taken Cortese a good couple of months to line up the new manager so that adds up. Unfortunatley for Cortese since he probably made the decision to replace Adkins, Nigel has had some good results!

Gutted!

Since Christmas I had a growing feeling we are on the up and after the Chelsea result felt we would certainly avoid relegation. Now I think we've lost it and will probably go down. Nigel Adkins seems a top man and top manager. So disillusioned with Saints right now......

Me too

surely more important to get in players rather than a manager

Quite a strange decision by a quite a strange Chairman

It's all Mark Lawensons fault!!! He said he was doing well:

Southampton v Everton (20:00 GMT)

Southampton's draw against Chelsea after being 2-0 down was an outstanding result and they have moved on from where they were at the start of the season, which was a team who you felt were sometimes a little in awe of their opponents.

Southampton manager Nigel Adkins

Adkins' job was under threat when Saints were bottom of the table in November

That is through a combination of gaining some experience in the Premier League, some better results and gaining more and more confidence.

The Saints are unbeaten in five league games and they now know that, on a good day, they can be a threat.

I am so pleased for their manager Nigel Adkins because earlier in the season I think he was only a couple of defeats away from the sack. I am glad they stuck with him, and he is getting it right.

But they are up against an Everton team that just does not lose many games.

Yes, they were held by Swansea last weekend, but it was another "winning" draw, where they were the better team but just lacked a bit of cuteness in that final third.

Everton are a team who fight and snarl for the points when they have to. Southampton need to be even more competitive than them to beat them, which will be extremely difficult.

I am totally lost for words. I rubbishd the Mirror last night and they were 100% correct. This brings SFC into Chelsea and Blackburn territory in terms of adverse PR I do not know what to say. This will either be a great success or a disaster this season and I only put our chances of survival at 50% and was more upbeat after Chelsea.

Complete and utter madness. The man has achieved back to back promotions, and was well on the way to keeping us up this year, and this is how he is repaid.

How can we expect loyalty from our managers and players when the club shows this level of disloyalty to a man who's achieved so much for the club? I really don't see what more Adkins could have done is his couple of years with the club. You can moan all you want about tactical abilities but you have to take into account that we are playing against a lot of teams this year who simply have better players than us.

Did I hear this new guy doesn't even speak good English? Apparently, he's a great man manager though! Is that in the same way NC is a great man manager?

NC is reminding me more and more of Lowe with each day that passes.

Very unfair on Nigel you have to say it is harsh after back to back promotions and holding our own in the prem I wish him all the best I hope it dosent implode our seasons I can see a lot of people being very p1ssed off

Chelsea have found getting rid of a manager they do want & bringing in one they dont has not exactly worked well NC may well of got this decision wrong big time.

NA got out of jail on Wednesday night,he was fortunate that RL coming on turned the game. Had we lost by 4 I suspect there would be less protest.

I feel sad for NA but he will not be out of work for long.

I like everyone am god smacked but NC is showing some steel,that shows his ambition to fulfill ML vision

New man being called a 'great manager' 'fantastic manager who loves good football, loves scoring goals' by Spanish correspondent on Talksport now. 'I think he's going to speak English in a few weeks or one month'. Yeah, right.

Just bizarre. What is going on, simply dont get it.

I've had a lot of time for NC and understood pretty much all of his previous decisions.......but this?

Simply don't get it............what else will he get from this new guy that he has not been getting from NA? We are 15th and in good form......I was confident of staying up........and NC is saying thats not enough.

How can this new guy do better? I simply don't understand the business thinking behind it.

Thanks Nigel for everything however......you were great for this club.

1. My initial reaction is of shock and sadness. I liked Adkins a lot. He did a superb job and I wish him well

2. However, I seem to remember a massive negative reaction to Pardew getting sacked after a resounding 4-1 win at Bristol. Many were shocked, angry and pessimistic then. In hindsight that all turned out rather well didn't it? So lets not all wet our keks and throw the teddies out just yet shall we? The new guy might be ****, but lets all take a cooling glass of 'calm the fuk down' and give the chap a chance shall we.

3. We're all upset now but there's no reason that appointing this guy could turn out to be a genius decision. It could also turn out to be a **** decision, but lets not all turn into Chelsea 'fans' and act like massive babies like they have done at Stamford Bridge recently. The likes of Shaw, Lallana, Gaston etc all need our support more now than ever.

4. COYR's and thx Nige.

is this a good time to bring up my regular moan about Cortese treating fans with contempt with high ticket prices, ticket tax, car parking fees, failure to explain BVI loan etc.? He could do no wrong in most of your eyes. Funny how things change. I wonder if the new guy will turn out to be amazing and all the little things that **** me off will be thrown back in my face again because we are doing well on the field?

Time to have Club removed from the company name.

Cortese FC