Nigel Adkins - Sacked

exit2

Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?  

678 members have voted

1. 1. Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?

I fear those of us in the pragmatic camp are in the minority though

It's not pragmatic to so blindly follow Saints to the extent you can't see this as a strange decision.

And to talk about the money Adkins will receive totally misses the point. Embarrassingly so.

The longer time goes by since this decision was made, the more angry and disappointed and EMBARRASSED I become. Adkins got us to the premiership, ahead of schedule we should not forget! He earned the right to some patience. Ok, we started the season a little poorly, but the last 10-12 games we've been on the rise and most fans of other teams I've spoken to think we were playing decent football and deserving of more points than we were actually getting at times.

Now, we're not in danger of becoming a laughing stock - we probably are one! An absolutely disgraceful decision and I'm embarrassed to be a Saints fan knowing that the people who run the club can be so short-sighted. The new man is going to need one hell of a start, or the mood around the club will nose-dive fast. No one's heard of him. The Official Site's review of his career so far can only be described as very poor spin - how someone who was sacked for being bottom of the league can be described as being wanted by the top clubs in Spain is beyond me.

Nigel is a fan's favourite - backed by the 99% of the crowd. This move has the potential to derail our season. If I was a QPR, Reading, Villa, or Wigan fan - I would be delighted.

Initially shocked and surprised and somewhat dissapointed with the way NC has gone about this as NA is a lovely bloke who's done a lot for this club in a short space of time.

However......what's done is done now and we must look forward.

The new man looks half decent and NC got the right man in to take us back to the Prem and we have to trust that he has got the right man again to take us to the next level.

Could see some very good Spanish and South American players joining us and watching us play in that style....

Let's wait and see what happens.

Good luck for the future Nigel.

I agree with your sentiment, especially about NA, who definitely did not deserve this. But your point about trust is exactly what is bothering me. Why should we have to trust in NC? Surely we deserve a real explanation and a clear account of precisely how he is intending to take the club forward and how this decision fits with his plans. Right now we're left with a choice between screaming abuse from the stands or blindly trusting in the decisions of someone who, frankly, doesn't seem to show much interest in what we think. Things need to change.

Me too

surely more important to get in players rather than a manager

Quite a strange decision by a quite a strange Chairman

I think this is the reason - only thing that can explain the timing - NA unable or unwilling or both to get players NC believes we need (both in the summer and now), so get rid now and give the new man a fighting chance to get the new players in before the window closes. If he can't get semi decent players in, then he has no hope of getting the real good ones as we progress??

Gutted BTW.

It's not pragmatic to so blindly follow Saints to the extent you can't see this as a strange decision.

And to talk about the money Adkins will receive totally misses the point. Embarrassingly so.

The writing has been on the wall for a fair while, if you couldn't see it or chose to ignore it that's fair enough but don't slate those who could. Thanks. Doesn't mean we like it but we could see it coming, probably because we knew what sort of bloke Cortese really is..

Edited by Window Cleaner

As much as I am shocked and saddened by our Nigel going and he will always be our Nigel in my eyes. I thought the same when Pardew was let go and we know how much of an improvement that decision was. I hope for all our sakes that Pochettino is the next step up. Good luck Nigel in your future endeavours, I for one will always have a good word for you and I am sure another Premiership or Championship club will be in for you very soon.

Gutted. In shock. This is not the same as Pardew going. Can't say much more. Part of the love i have to SFC has died today. This is not the way I want the club to be run. Will i go to future games, probably yes, but my drive and desire was linked to the team and manager. The only analogy i can think of is the day I heard that Lawrie was leaving - but he wasn't sacked and that is what makes this worse.

Nigel Adkins = Southampton Legend.

Everything was just going too well, wasn't it? Why does this club get saddled with Chairmen that care more about their own ego than SFC? This Cortese guy is acting just like Abramovich, but without the money. It is a clear statement of "this is my club and I do what I like." Appointing someone with absolutely no experience of English football and not even being able to speak the lingo is likely to destroy the close team spirit that has seen us through the first months of this season. Who is this guy and what has he achieved to deserve replacing our most successful manager in years? Absolutely outrageous decision.

I was confident we would survive this season under Nigel but this has destroyed all the good feel around the club and can see us finishing in the bottom two now. The rest of the country and the media will rightly think we deserve relegation after this. Hope the players stick together and see it through but they must be as shocked and angry as the rest of us. One day when everyone has forgotten this argies name (can't even remember it now) Nigel will be having great success with some other club. Whoever that is, they are the lucky ones.

Gutted. Absolutely gutted.

In this ridiculous football world I'm seriously thinking of supporting a football manager (wherever he goes) rather than a football team. Seriously think NA was destined to be a top, top manager in the game.

Wherever he goes, I hope Nigel finds success and happiness.

Cortese? ****ing idiot...

Pep Guardiola I could see the merit in. There is a guy with a track record of success at the very highest level.

Surely you're not trying to bracket him with this relative nobody to prove a point, are you Frank?

Wes, the point I wa strying to prove is not about bracketing Mauricio Pochettino with Pep, but that all this demand for Loyalty and crying about Adkins going and therefore what a c*** NC would not be heard if fans saw the new appointmnet as some sort of coup - trying to illustrate how pathetic all the over emotive stuff is.

Nige is a decent guy who I have supported despite results because he gay his all, was honest, decent and had talent - I am as sad to see him go as anyone, but I am not falling into the collecting grief ****** 'Diana effect' ****** that seems to infect fans. We have a new manager who is well regarded by many in football, to me it seems a bit of a coup considering he was being watched by Real Madrid etc. We move on and hope it works out - whereas some on here have that classic miserable idiot attitude which comes across as wishing for failure to prove a point against NC... that to me is what is often so pathetic about fan behaviour.

Absolute disgrace and a massive mistake. Nigel is transparently a good coach, great man manager and thoroughly decent man. A real sportsman and should have been with us for at least a decade . Feel like returning my season ticket at the moment, incandescent with frustrated anger. Nigel, you did not deserve this and will always be a Saints legend for me.

spot on, will boycott st marys in protest. email sky sports your opions --

u2us@skysports.com

If you were going to get a new manager in, it had to be before the transfer window closes. Adkins has gone as far as his talent will take us. Cortese is simply more ambitious than our fan base.

Either it will turn out to be an inspired decision or a bad one. We will find out soon enough, but I am all for it. I certainly wasn't one of the "One Nigel Adkins" brigade. Underachievement on nearly a QPR scale, to be 15th.

Gutted. In shock. This is not the same as Pardew going. Can't say much more. Part of the love i have to SFC has died today. This is not the way I want the club to be run. Will i go to future games, probably yes, but my drive and desire was linked to the team and manager. The only analogy i can think of is the day I heard that Lawrie was leaving - but he wasn't sacked and that is what makes this worse.

Nigel Adkins = Southampton Legend.

Agree with all these sentiments and feel the same. Suddenly I couldn't give a **** whether we stay up or get relegated.

If you were going to get a new manager in, it had to be before the transfer window closes. Adkins has gone as far as his talent will take us. Cortese is simply more ambitious than our fan base.

Either it will turn out to be an inspired decision or a bad one. We will find out soon enough, but I am all for it. I certainly wasn't one of the "One Nigel Adkins" brigade. Underachievement on nearly a QPR scale, to be 15th.

Very succinctly put.

Just woke up been on nights & so disappointed, this could well be a shoot yourself in the foot moment. We have a huge game Monday night confidence would have been high, could all go pear shaped now. Cortèse it's solely your responsibility now. I feel so completely flat now.Thanks for the memory's Nigel you deserve so much better, hope your back with another club soon al the best.

Then writing has been on the wall for a fair while, if you couldn't see it or chose to ignore it that's fair enough but don't slate those who could. Thanks. Doesn't mean we like it but we could see it coming, probably because we knew what sort of bloke Cortese really is..

It's too easy to say the writings been on the wall in hindsight. The writing was on the wall to come from 2 down at Chelsea. Oh I was right. If someone as successful in their job as Adkins gets sacked I do fear for the sanity of the masses in football!

Loyalty - its naive to think anyone other than fans show loyalty in football - I suspect Nigel KNEW this was coming as he had been employed to do a particular job.

Xenophobia - go read some of the many threads and then tell me I am wrong

The press - depends who you listen too - Le Tiss on Sky giving the usual anti NC slant or the Spaish football expert who thinks this is an 'exciting' opportunity for Saints.

The problem with these decsions is simply that fans react emotionally - fair enough, but we show feck all loyalty when a manager is poor or inexperienced and results go against him - we chant we want him out... fickle

Time will tell whether NC has made a stupid mistake or a visonary decision - to date he got Pards and Adkins right, they did their job and saw the club progress. We have struggled in the prem, with fans being 'baffled' by Niges's selections and tactics at times... Mauricio Pochettino will be under pressure, but should be given our support, he is our manager now and deserves his chance to win us over. Nigel should and will always have a place in our collective heart for what he has done, but we move on and hopefully on to a new chapter that builds on what nige has delivered to date.

Boring post as usual. Pull you're head out of you're backside.

I'm really gutted to hear about Nigel going - I've seen every one of our last five away games and its clear we were making good progress after what was I accept a naive start to the season. Nigel did a great job, will always be loved by Saints fans and should leave really proud and get a good job elsewhere.

However what I would really ask people to step back and reflect on is their reaction on monday night and beyond. Its not about the chairman or manager - we will hopefully be here long after they go. There should be one objective only and thanks to support the new manager (its not his fault!) and the players who are representing our club. We didn't agree that Pardew should be sacked but things have gone well by everyone sticking together.

So I would not be doing this is I were NC - but he isnt gonna change his mind now

It's too easy to say the writings been on the wall in hindsight. The writing was on the wall to come from 2 down at Chelsea. Oh I was right. If someone as successful in their job as Adkins gets sacked I do fear for the sanity of the masses in football!

I've been saying it for some time, getting slagged off for it as well more often than not. It's not hindsight, it has been coming for a while. The GK situation was ridiculous, throwing a decent keeper into the trash and playing your binky. This more than anything else is what got him sacked.

This is just mental. I could have kind of understood back in November, but now? On a 6 match unbeaten run? Just as we're getting to grips with it all?

This new bloke doesn't even speak a word of English, I've never heard of him and he's unlikely to inspire the players. They're probably as ****ed off as the rest of us.

This will derail our season.

I think this is about right...

If it had been di matteo maybe the reaction would have been different...

good luck mauricio... you are going to need it...

Nearly 30 years of supporting Saints, and I thought I'd seen it all...how wrong! Really, really sad. There must be more to it than meets the eye.

Mrs Fonte strikes again?

I am simply devastated.

Monday Night on TV is going to be pretty grim viewing.

Sadly I predict an ugly atmosphere, no fault of the new guy, but this really has hurt the majority of fans and there will be a backlash - it's human nature.

I think NC will have a few henchmen in those normally empty seats around him.

I can well understand a potential change in manager considering the circumstances but what about the new man. Is he capable of the next level? What has Cortese et al seen that thinks this man can?

Absolute disgrace and a massive mistake. Nigel is transparently a good coach, great man manager and thoroughly decent man. A real sportsman and should have been with us for at least a decade . Feel like returning my season ticket at the moment, incandescent with frustrated anger. Nigel, you did not deserve this and will always be a Saints legend for me.

spot on, will boycott st marys in protest. email saints your oppions --

sfc@saintsfc.co.uk

I feel absolutely sickened by this. I'd been enjoying my football these last 12 games more than anytime since 2003-04 and this has completely ruined it. Nigel was easily my favourite person in football - I've been going to Saints games for 17 years now and I'm very tempted to go support whoever hires him next instead! Hope the next guy is great, but even hiring Mourinho would've ****ed me off if it meant sacking a popular, honest man who was doing a terrific job! I'm worried that the culture he helped create will collapse and see Shaw, Lambert, Punch, Clyne, etc etc leave. We deserve to go down, though I can't bring myself to hope we do. Definitely singing One Nigel Adkins all of Monday - then on to supporting the new guy I guess...

I was amazed when I saw this on BBC News. I was only looking to see if we had signed our new centre back!

I am disappointed on many levels but most of of all I am concerned that this will backfire. The timing is truly awful. The new man will need to adapt very quickly or we will go down. Results were picking up and we were all beginning to feel optimistic again. I don't see how this new man can just pick up this team and improve it straight away. He has no premiership expirience or particular record of success.

I had already accepted that Nigel might go at the end of the season regardless of whether we stay up or not. I really thought we would get Roberto De Matteo or someone of similar calibre. That would have made some sense but this does not. I wonder if this is because the Liebherr money has run out. The comments about developing our youngsters is good but long term. It also reminds me too much of the awful Dutch days under that awful ex chairman.

I really feel for Nigel. He has been a legend for us and can go with his head held very high. He is a man of integrity and it is sad to see him become a victim of our soulless modern game. We have become a laughing stock again.

The new man will have to be very, very good or this will precipitate another period of decline.

Ridiculous.

I honestly believed we had turned a corner. Results and performances had improved under Nigel Adkins. We now go back to the drawing board with some f^cker who has no track record, and does not speak English.

Adkins deserved the season as a minimum.If he was to be shown the door it was surely after the WBA match.

This makes us a club fit for ridicule frankly.Everyone and their dog will want to see us relegated after this.

Emotions - angry, disappointed, almost want to cry. Ashamed of the treatment NA has had.

Nice one C^ntese.

I'm no footy expert, I'm just a fan. But I can't understand why a transparantly decent man, who appears to be learning and improving all the time, and who has us playing attractive football and moving up the league, wouldn't be given time to see how far he could take us. Nigel was one of the reasons I loved going to St Marys, and he will be grealty missed.

Just one more thing from me. Below is a list of managers at the club over the last few decades. It's worth making the point about continuity and how valuable this can be in terms of the culture of the side. I'm not saying we should have stuck with Branfoot. But the stats speak for themselves:

Ted Bates (Sept 1955-Nov 1973)

Lawrie McMenemy (Nov 1973-Jun 1985)

Chris Nicholl (July 1985-May 1991)

Ian Branfoot (June 1991-January 1994)

Alan Ball (January 1994-July 1995)

David Merrington (July 1995-June 1996) - remember how that ended btw

Graeme Souness (July 1996-June 1997)

Dave Jones (June 1997-January 2000)

Glenn Hoddle (January 2000-March 2001)

Stuart Gray (March 2001-October 2001)

Gordon Strachan (October 2001-February 2004)

Steve Wigley (February 2004-March 2004)

Paul Sturrock (March 2004-August 2004)

Steve Wigley (August 2004-December 2004)

Harry Redknapp (December 2004-December 2005)

Dave Bassett & Dennis Wise (December 2005)

George Burley (December 2005-January 2008)

John Gorman (January 2008-February 2008)

Nigel Pearson (February 2008-May 2008)

Jan Poortvliet (May 2008-January 2009)

Mark Wotte (January 2009-July 2009) Another brilliant appointment...

Alan Pardew (July 2009-August 2010)

Dean Wilkins (August 2010-September 2010)

Nigel Adkins (September 2010-January 2013)

Mauricio Pochettino (January 2013-?)

However you feel, protesting won't change things, and a sh!tty atmosphere may well affect the team - those who prophesy relegation may well precipitate the event. Many of us are questioning NC's decision, but he did introduce the club to ML, and then appointed Nigel - decisions that got us where we are today. Much as this is a puzzling situation, if we want the team to survive and progress they need to be supported, and so does the new manager - there is f*** all chance of shifting NC, and no chance of getting this move reversed.

Loyalty - its naive to think anyone other than fans show loyalty in football - I suspect Nigel KNEW this was coming as he had been employed to do a particular job.

Xenophobia - go read some of the many threads and then tell me I am wrong

The press - depends who you listen too - Le Tiss on Sky giving the usual anti NC slant or the Spaish football expert who thinks this is an 'exciting' opportunity for Saints.

The problem with these decsions is simply that fans react emotionally - fair enough, but we show feck all loyalty when a manager is poor or inexperienced and results go against him - we chant we want him out... fickle

Time will tell whether NC has made a stupid mistake or a visonary decision - to date he got Pards and Adkins right, they did their job and saw the club progress. We have struggled in the prem, with fans being 'baffled' by Niges's selections and tactics at times... Mauricio Pochettino will be under pressure, but should be given our support, he is our manager now and deserves his chance to win us over. Nigel should and will always have a place in our collective heart for what he has done, but we move on and hopefully on to a new chapter that builds on what nige has delivered to date.

Hardly any Xenophibia on any of these threads.

Media have been prety unannimous on the decision, if you can't see that, you're on a wind up.

Even when we were on a terrible run Adkins was backed by the fans and there was a genuine bond there between the two.

So basically your WHOLE post is wrong.

Wes, the point I wa strying to prove is not about bracketing Mauricio Pochettino with Pep, but that all this demand for Loyalty and crying about Adkins going and therefore what a c*** NC would not be heard if fans saw the new appointmnet as some sort of coup - trying to illustrate how pathetic all the over emotive stuff is.

Nige is a decent guy who I have supported despite results because he gay his all, was honest, decent and had talent - I am as sad to see him go as anyone, but I am not falling into the collecting grief ****** 'Diana effect' ****** that seems to infect fans. We have a new manager who is well regarded by many in football, to me it seems a bit of a coup considering he was being watched by Real Madrid etc. We move on and hope it works out - whereas some on here have that classic miserable idiot attitude which comes across as wishing for failure to prove a point against NC... that to me is what is often so pathetic about fan behaviour.

"Diana Effect" I like that although I suspect it will go over most fans heads.

Confused, frustrated , perplexed,exasperated,angry , bewildered , FLUUUUCKED OFF etc etc....:cry:

When many of our Managers have been moved on.....

But this has totally gobsmacked me...:?

BUT

Like all other times ..we pick ourselves up AND support the team and hope that we somehow continue onwards and upwards...

VERY STRANGE.....:rolleyes:

I'm no footy expert, I'm just a fan. But I can't understand why a transparantly decent man, who appears to be learning and improving all the time, and who has us playing attractive football and moving up the league, wouldn't be given time to see how far he could take us. Nigel was one of the reasons I loved going to St Marys, and he will be grealty missed.

The Metro was only speculating about managers who deserve a crack at the so-called bigger jobs & Nige was one name mentioned. Our response? Sack him. Bizarre. Believe his reaction to Forren rumours after Chelsea was less the usual game playing & more disinterest or really not knowing.

Think some of you need to take a deep breath and calm down. The reactionary xenophobic idiocy already being spouted is more shameful on our club than anything NC has done.Then look at this pragmatically rather than over emotionally.We all liked Adkins - he is a decent honest guy who I believe has the talent to be a very good manager at the top level....one day... and I kind of thought that his biggest challenge would always be whether he could get there quick enough to meet Cortese's ambition.It now seems that NA's post match reaction at the Coventry game last seaosn WAS the most telling - a man who kneww he had been brought in to do a job which was get us to the prem and when that happened it would only be a matter of time before he would be replaced with someone who NC felt would be able to take us to the next level.We are all sadened by this decision because we recognise whtat Nigel; has brought to the club - but I suspect this was not as big a shock to Nigel as it seems to be to fans. Yes its a risk given the timing' date=' yes it seems callous given all NIgel has achieved, but to start acting like a bunch of 3 years olds, crying, protesting, and being all anti the new guy is childish and ridiculous... it also simply creates the divisions and culture so amny of you seem worried will return and lets not forget the countless screams for Adkins sacking after 5 games.... football fans, bunch offickle jessies...As with Pardue, the decision seems to be about a structured strategy - so recent improvements are irrelevent. as with Adkins appointment, it was risky and shocked many, but the last two years showed it was the RIGHT decision. The new guy, seems to be someone highly regarded in Spain - someone who NC belives will be the right fit for the next chapter or phase - yes its risky, and this time more shocking because NA is such a decent bloke and had achieved so much, but the reality is we did have the financial muscle to get out of those two divisions.I am sad to see Nigel go. He was for me a breath of fresh air - honest grafter who was learning all the time. I wish him alll the best and thank him for what he has done for the club, but also welcome Mauricio Pochettino - its not his fault we feel bad about Adkins and the childish xenophobia is pathetic.[/quote']This sums up my thoughts perfectly...once I got over my 5 minutes of swearing!Onwards and upwards. We are still the Saints.