Nigel Adkins - Sacked

exit2

Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?  

678 members have voted

1. 1. Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?

I feel very sad for NA. He has done a brilliant job and, in my view, is one of the brightest, young football managers about today. If we can all see this what is it that NC is seeing differently?

If he is one of the brightest managers then British football is in trouble. His vision to take RL AL and JP off with 25minutes to go when leading against Man U was visionary

In the Spanish press there's a different take on it, It says Adkins was sacked after winning only two of his last 10 games ;-0

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/1704939/0/pochettino/premier-league/southampton/

The Premier League club, fifteenth in the table after 22 games, ousted exportero Nigel Adkins, 47, as coach after winning just two of their last ten games.

Pochettino, 40, will take charge of his first training in Southampton on Saturday, two days before it will be their first meeting in front of his new team on Monday against Everton.

On 26 November, the Espanyol terminated the contract of Argentine exdefensa after almost four years as head of whitish bench when the team remained as bottom team in the Spanish League. Pochettino had come to set Barcelona on January 20, 2009, after the dismissal of coach Jose Manuel Esnal 'Mane', as an alternative to try to save the club from relegation.

Does anyone recall that interview Nige did soon after last season ended, when he seemed to hint that he didn't expect to be around for the long(er) term? I wonder if he always knew Cortese's plan was to bring in a 'sexier' name?

Failed dismally then. Bring in 'Pep' or Mourinho, and we've heard of them, but bringing in a no marks, we've never heard of !!!

Failed dismally then. Bring in 'Pep' or Mourinho, and we've heard of them, but bringing in a no marks, we've never heard of !!!

If you haven't heard of Pochettino it's because you're insular and not because he's not well known. Great player in his day. Hard man, he'll take less nonsense than NA in my opinion.

I am baffled and deeply saddened by today's events !

Many thanks Nigel for all that you have done for us and I truly wish you well for the future !

I know nothing about the new man and am disappointed to hear that he does not speak English because it will need a lot of words of comfort and encouragement for players and supporters alike in the coming few weeks !

With Everton, Man U, Wigan and Man City in the next 4 games, he will be very lucky to get any/many points and the natives will very quickly become restless so there will be no honeymoon period !

I am very seldom downbeat about the Saints and favour long term stability over constant change but this decision really makes me wonder why people in football behave the way they do ??

ffs.

FFS.

I cant believe this, just now got in from work. Had a stream of texts saying Nigel had been sacked, I thought the first one was possibly a misreading of the earlier thread, and I thought the second one was taking the plss. Then I realised they were serious.

Watching the chelsea game when the fans were having a pop at Benitez, I was honestly thinking "thank christ we arent like that". How wrong can you be, this is an appalling decision.

FFS.

I don't post very often these days. But, this is an absolutely stupid decision from NC and the Board. NA was doing the job - the job this season is to stay in the Premier League, THEN push on to greatness. Pushing on could have been with NA or could have been someone else like Mauricio Pochettino... but for now SURVIVAL is the goal.

In football it's all about the next game. With NA I finally sensed we had the system, players, positivity and leadership to stay in this league. WE ARE IN A RELEGATION FIGHT AND WE BRING IN A YOUNG FOREIGN MANAGER WITH NO EXPERIENCE OF THE PREMIER LEAGUE and put him in the toughest position in the League. Strange decision.

In football success is based on managerial consistency. We have consistency. Strange decision.

In football the fans are your 12th man. The fans are firmly behind Adkins. Why? Because after years of following Saints they know what's needed and Nigel's qualities were delivering the next step - SURVIVAL IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE.

Finally, a simple message for Cortese, whose ambition I respect. You sound today very much like Rupert Lowe before the financial crash. A new manager who shares his vision of nurturing young players? You can nurture, but you win nothing with kids alone. NA balanced it right.

Strange decision. Strange decision.

BUT:

The threat of relegation is so close, we as fans have no choice but to accept Mauricio Pochettino and get behind the team like never before. Criticising the decision is one thing, we will probably never know the full facts of this decision, but IF WE WANT OUR TEAM TO SURVIVE IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE (and let's face it Mauricio Pochettino has less chance of success in the Championship!) WE NEED TO EMBRACE THIS DECISION AND SUPPORT OUR TEAM.

WE NEED TO MOVE ON FAST, ACCEPT POCHETTINO, GET BEHIND OUR PLAYERS AND REMEMBER ONE THING: NIGEL ADKINS WILL ALWAYS BE A RESPECTED SAINT AND DESERVES THAT RECOGNITION FOREVER.

The last time Cortese sacked a manger and appointed a "nobody" it didn't really turn out that bad did it?

Yes the timing isn't perfect, but if Cortese thinks MP is the best man for the long run of our club, then so be it. He knows more about what the club wants/needs then any of us on here. Back Pochettino, we seem to have bagged ourselves a very talented young manager to go along with our very talented young squad.

To coin a famous phrase, we need to draw a line under it and move on.

Pochettino's Red Army...

p.s Let's hope the new guy knows the difference between a clap and a wave...:)

Is this some sort of joke??

If you haven't heard of Pochettino it's because you're insular and not because he's not well known. Great player in his day. Hard man, he'll take less nonsense than NA in my opinion.

You should have left that part out, it would have saved you sounding so condescending.

I see that Villa fans are campaiging for Adkins to be appointed their manager forthwith!

Cortese has made our club both the laughing stock and regarded as shameful. I was proud to support Saints after the Chelsea match but I am certainly not proud to be a Saints fan today. I am really quite ashamed.

I am as ****id off as everyone else... but this new guy does seem highly rated, a very good manager... Not saying its correct, but look a silver lining

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/the-lowdown-on-new-southampton-boss-mauricio-1543643

This is positive. If it's right you can understand who he's been chosen: He seems to put a lot of emphasis on quality centre backs.... lets see if he brings some with him Cortese.

Still can't help but think the timing of this is all wrong. Adkins should've stayed to keep us up. Right now, I fear relegation more than at any other stage this season.

But, lets give him a chance.

From the Mirror article:

"His eventual removal from the club was perhaps overdue. The year 2012 was miserable as the club won just seven games out of a possible 35, drawing 11 and losing 17. No longer was it about youth or positivity but more so experience and for some, mediocrity."

Doesn't inspire confidence. Seems to have had one good season but then faded lacking experience and the ability to adapt - the latter being one of NA's great strengths.

Ridiculous decision at this stage of the season! It would have been more bearable if the replacement came with some pedigree. After following this club through thick and thin for over 40 years I am starting to lose that feeling of pride for the first time. Mr. Cortese will probably reach his goal of European football eventually but at what cost. By the time we get there will it really mean very much to any of us if it means treating people in this fashion?

Im saddened that Nigel has left. he is what saints is all about.

Meanwhile my support of Southampton will go on, there is a team to get behind, Boycotts are futile in my humble opinion.

We do not know what the rationale is behind the decision just lots of misplaced speculation.

Saints is for life.

Heres to a win on Monday in Honour of Sir Nigel

Ridiculous decision at this stage of the season! It would have been more bearable if the replacement came with some pedigree. After following this club through thick and thin for over 40 years I am starting to lose that feeling of pride for the first time. Mr. Cortese will probably reach his goal of European football eventually but at what cost. By the time we get there will it really mean very much to any of us if it means treating people in this fashion?

But we don't know why he's been suddenly sacked, it should have been done a while back, last break just before we got arsed on by Sunderland due to a shockingly bad goalkeeping selection. Something may have gone on in the background that we cannot possibly know about. Pochettino has been available for a couple of montrhs so why today. There's more to it than meets the eye I expect.

Hey Nicola! Here’s an idea, why not find out from your customers what they actually want. Most Saints supporters I know don’t want Champions League football. We want a club that treats its employees properly and a club we’re proud to support, even if this is in a lower division. I was proud to have a young up and coming English manager in charge of my team (yes my team not yours) and proud of the way he managed the team into the Premier League. Nigel is a loyal, thoroughly decent man who oozed positivity (qualities sadly missing from some I am afraid) and is sure to be snapped up quickly. I think Marcus will be looking down on you with his Saints scarf wrapped tightly around his neck, shaking his head thinking like most of us as to what a stupid arrogant decision this is by someone who has been fortunate to have this club left to him to play with.

Loyalty - its naive to think anyone other than fans show loyalty in football - I suspect Nigel KNEW this was coming as he had been employed to do a particular job.

Xenophobia - go read some of the many threads and then tell me I am wrong

The press - depends who you listen too - Le Tiss on Sky giving the usual anti NC slant or the Spaish football expert who thinks this is an 'exciting' opportunity for Saints.

The problem with these decsions is simply that fans react emotionally - fair enough, but we show feck all loyalty when a manager is poor or inexperienced and results go against him - we chant we want him out... fickle

Time will tell whether NC has made a stupid mistake or a visonary decision - to date he got Pards and Adkins right, they did their job and saw the club progress. We have struggled in the prem, with fans being 'baffled' by Niges's selections and tactics at times... Mauricio Pochettino will be under pressure, but should be given our support, he is our manager now and deserves his chance to win us over. Nigel should and will always have a place in our collective heart for what he has done, but we move on and hopefully on to a new chapter that builds on what nige has delivered to date.

This

I am disgusted at this news.

I hope the crowd all sing Nigel's name loud and clear on Monday.

Although, to be honest, if I were over there now I might even consider withdrawing my support from SMS for some time.

I have always previously backed Cortese, but this decision is shocking.

I bet St Lard is celebrating tonight though.

If anything was needed to show how football has turned into a cut throat business this is it! loyalty, common decency, the views of fans are all sacrificed in the face of money and greed!

What do 20k to 30k fas views matter in the face of worldwide TV, commercial sales and advertising fees! This nothing more than a rash gamble for riches by someone impatient to get into the big time purely for commercial reasons!

Hey Nicola! Here’s an idea, why not find out from your customers what they actually want. Most Saints supporters I know don’t want Champions League football. We want a club that treats its employees properly and a club we’re proud to support, even if this is in a lower division. I was proud to have a young up and coming English manager in charge of my team (yes my team not yours) and proud of the way he managed the team into the Premier League. Nigel is a loyal, thoroughly decent man who oozed positivity (qualities sadly missing from some I am afraid) and is sure to be snapped up quickly. I think Marcus will be looking down on you with his Saints scarf wrapped tightly around his neck, shaking his head thinking like most of us as to what a stupid arrogant decision this is by someone who has been fortunate to have this club left to him to play with.

Top post

From the Mirror article:

"His eventual removal from the club was perhaps overdue. The year 2012 was miserable as the club won just seven games out of a possible 35, drawing 11 and losing 17. No longer was it about youth or positivity but more so experience and for some, mediocrity."

Doesn't inspire confidence. Seems to have had one good season but then faded lacking experience and the ability to adapt - the latter being one of NA's great strengths.

You missed out the part about Espanyol being in the financial **** and having to sell most of their better players.

:thumbup:

Living in Calfornia, I have only just woken to hear of this plainly outrageous decision by Cortese. Just when we seemed to be adapting to this League, he goes and puts the boot into our progress. 95% of people on the Echo site disagree with this, and while I suspect it won't be quite that high on here, I feel sure that the vast majority of fans are just plain shocked and stunned at this. I have always liked and respected Cortese, but I am struggling right now to do either. I also cannot believe we did not get someone with PL experience as a replacement. I am fearful for how our players will also handle this. I wish the the Don would at least give his reasons for sacking NA. Shocked and truly upset over this. For all NA has done for us; we owe him a huge debt of gratitude, and I suppose that now we must get behind the team and the new Manager (regardless how we feel about him). COYR!!

We need a "Don't Know" option in the poll question that's just been added to the thread IMO....same question as the one posed for Pardew would allow us to compare and contrast....here: http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?24795-Pardew-and-Coaching-Staff-Sacked

Q: Was the club right to sack Pardew?

Yes: 12.63%

No: 55.79%

Don't Know: 31.58%

I don't post very often these days. But, this is an absolutely stupid decision from NC and the Board. NA was doing the job - the job this season is to stay in the Premier League, THEN push on to greatness. Pushing on could have been with NA or could have been someone else like Mauricio Pochettino... but for now SURVIVAL is the goal.

In football it's all about the next game. With NA I finally sensed we had the system, players, positivity and leadership to stay in this league. WE ARE IN A RELEGATION FIGHT AND WE BRING IN A YOUNG FOREIGN MANAGER WITH NO EXPERIENCE OF THE PREMIER LEAGUE and put him in the toughest position in the League. Strange decision.

In football success is based on managerial consistency. We have consistency. Strange decision.

In football the fans are your 12th man. The fans are firmly behind Adkins. Why? Because after years of following Saints they know what's needed and Nigel's qualities were delivering the next step - SURVIVAL IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE.

Finally, a simple message for Cortese, whose ambition I respect. You sound today very much like Rupert Lowe before the financial crash. A new manager who shares his vision of nurturing young players? You can nurture, but you win nothing with kids alone. NA balanced it right.

Strange decision. Strange decision.

BUT:

The threat of relegation is so close, we as fans have no choice but to accept Mauricio Pochettino and get behind the team like never before. Criticising the decision is one thing, we will probably never know the full facts of this decision, but IF WE WANT OUR TEAM TO SURVIVE IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE (and let's face it Mauricio Pochettino has less chance of success in the Championship!) WE NEED TO EMBRACE THIS DECISION AND SUPPORT OUR TEAM.

WE NEED TO MOVE ON FAST, ACCEPT POCHETTINO, GET BEHIND OUR PLAYERS AND REMEMBER ONE THING: NIGEL ADKINS WILL ALWAYS BE A RESPECTED SAINT AND DESERVES THAT RECOGNITION FOREVER.

This.

But it is going to be very difficult for players and supporters to suddenly accept a new manager who cannot be arriving with the communication skills and support that NA has had with both team and supporters. NA has lifted Championship footballers with hardly any previous Premiership experience to performing at top standards that they had not previously attained. And the track record over the last twelve games has crucially been better than the teams around us. Will the new man be able to do the same if morale and continuity are knocked? Witness Chelsea.

NA's great plus has been his ever-positive approach at all times. How will the new man react to the challenge of the Premiership with a team that is still adjusting to playing against teams stuffed with world class international footballers.

Pochettino has to have everyone's support. But it will be difficult.

After the second half against Everton I had been confidently expecting a result against Everton. What happens on Monday will be crucial.