Nigel Adkins - Sacked

exit2

Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?  

678 members have voted

1. 1. Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?

It's not pragmatic to so blindly follow Saints to the extent you can't see this as a strange decision.

I've already said the timing of the decision is "strange". It is possible to reflect on a strange decision in a pragmatic fashion. If we end up getting relegated because of this decision then I'll be first in the queue to reflect on how bad it a decision it was.

Do you ever get the feeling Cortese has been waiting to do this following two defeats to make it seem less of bummer sacking Adkins, only for us not to lose two in a row for ages...

I think you could well be right. In a bizarre way the good result against Chelsea could have sealed it.

It looks like Cortese was set on this and was waiting for the moment, but after Chelsea the prospect of a win against Everton and nearing mid-table would have made it difficult, so he jumped before things got even better for NA.

"Diana Effect" I like that although I suspect it will go over most fans heads.

Probably because they thought it absolutely normal to weep and wail for months over a girl they didn't know and knew nothing about. Ah you British......don't know what would happen if we ever got into another close to home war.

Edited by Window Cleaner

As a Saints fan for 40 plus years,I am disgusted at the decision to sack Nigel Adkins today. He deserved better than this, and so did the fans.

I was at Villa Park on saturday and to a man, all 3000 Saints fans sang his name at numerous points throughout the game.

This decision has brought our club into the spotlight for all the wrong reasons, and I am ashamed to support my hometown club today.

The decision may well prove to be inspired in the long run, but the way Adkins has been treated will always reflect badly on Saints. I would rather have stayed loyal to Mr Adkins and seen us relegated (and I didn't think we would under Adkins), than see an honest, hard working, talented man treated in this way, and my club pilloried in the way that the media are rightly doing. The lack of respect for Adkins and the vast majority of Southampton fans is saddening. This is a dark day for the football club that I love.

This decision was not taken this decision in my name.

I know that some will not agree with my comment about relegation, but plain and simple, the guy deserved better.

I think you could well be right. In a bizarre way the good result against Chelsea could have sealed it.

It looks like Cortese was set on this and was waiting for the moment, but after Chelsea the prospect of a win against Everton and nearing mid-table would have made it difficult, do he jumped before things got even better for NA.

It was done before apparently, I expect Nigel knew, might even have told the players at half-time to gee them up. Probably why Chaplow got a run out and Seaborne nearly did the game before, looked strange that. NA sidelines good players like Lee and Mayuka but gives "the lads" a PL run out.

Edited by Window Cleaner

But we wont know for a while if the decision is ****. You can't fault many of NC's decisions to date.

My point is more about when people talk about "steel and ambition". I would have had enough steel to sack Nigel Adkins. You just call him into your office and say "Nigel you are sacked". It doesn't take much really.

If you believe it is a good decision take a straw poll of everyone in and around football this morning. You are betting with one businessman, against the vast majority of the football world. You're right in that we don't know for sure yet, but I know where my bet would be.

Mugs think life is all about being hard. Shrewd operators understand that the true art is to look hard, with a careful eye on taking people with you.

NC today = massive fail

I hope I'm wrong, but I find it hard to think the positivity, calm analysis and intelligent approach seen under Nigel can easily be replaced, but we'll have to see.

Just hope that something even better is being brought in, but finding it hard to believe that yet.

Confused, frustrated , perplexed,exasperated,angry , bewildered , FLUUUUCKED OFF etc etc....:cry:

When many of our Managers have been moved on.....

But this has totally gobsmacked me...:?

BUT

Like all other times ..we pick ourselves up AND support the team and hope that we somehow continue onwards and upwards...

VERY STRANGE.....:rolleyes:

sORRY...FORGOT TO MENTION...............puzzled......TOTALLY PUZZLED.

To try and understand what is behind this strange decision it maybe best to look at Cortese's words.

"for the Club to progress and achieve our long-term targets a change was needed...... Mauricio is a well-respected coach of substantial quality who has gained a reputation as an astute tactician and excellent man manager. I have every confidence that he will inspire our talented squad of players to perform at the highest possible level. He also shares my belief that the most successful clubs are built by nurturing young players through a development system that provides a clear path to the First Team, thereby creating a culture that keeps them at the Club for the long term. "

Some key words are "nurturing young players through a development system that provides a clear path to the First Team .... long term".

Is it the problem over the 4-5-1 vs 442 system that Adkins has sometimes used? Is it a problem with Adkins not wishing to throw in another youngster into the team? That is where I suggest people look into.

What a shame. He seemed like a nice bloke, who did a fantastic job, and seemed to be improving in the job at this level.

But - I'd like to be reminded of what some people on here thought about him (and Pardew, if it comes to that: Bristol Rovers 0, Saints 4whilst 14th in Div 3 anyone?) back in Sept '10... I seem to recall NA proved a few people wrong.

I hope the new manager does the same.

The timing is totally unacceptable,Nigel had to be given until at least the end of the season,to see where the club is at then.If some of the supposition on this topic is true,why did Cortese not get rid of Nigel straight after the WBA game,because many of us fans,would not have been as angry and dismayed as we are now.

The real worry is how this decision will affect the players and de-stablize the club and how will it impact on signing the players we were close to signing. Thank you Nigel,for all you have done for this club,you are a totally decent man and I wish you all the best in your future career.

As for you Mr Cortese,I really hope that you have thought this through,the fact that the guy does not speak English,really does not sound too encouraging at this moment in time.

I am disgusted and appalled - and i think I have nothing in common whatsoever with the johnny-come-lately Cortese who i regard as a treacherous idiot. I have been a Saints fan since 1959 and i don't think i have ever felt so angry about a saints decision. I am a season ticket holder but I feel my loyalty is being strained almost to breaking point.

This decision has brought shame and ridicule on our club and it is indeed shameful to treat Nigel Adkins in this way. It is contemptuous.

Does anyone recall that interview Nige did soon after last season ended, when he seemed to hint that he didn't expect to be around for the long(er) term? I wonder if he always knew Cortese's plan was to bring in a 'sexier' name?

it was rumoured that he was going to resign after the Coventry game and got talked out of it. Cortese probably always held that over him and resented it.

This is a massive kick in the balls, it feels like someone has died and I just want to wake up and find out it was all a bad dream.

Who knows how the new fella will do, it is a hell of a gamble.

Just think the way we handled it has been proper ****. Nigel will get a good pay-out and walk into a job closer to home.

I've been away all week, flew back home this morning. Was well pleased with a point v Chelsea.

I freely admit, I was very much in the minority earlier in the season when I thought the club would be best served by replacing Adkins. But, again admit, I was proved wrong. We look a far more solid side now, and have had a decent run in the last dozen or so games. So I am amazed that Cortese has chosen to do this now.

I feel extremely sorry for Nigel Adkins. I am now extremely worried about our chances of staying up now, when a few hours earlier I wasn't.

I wish Adkins well. I am more than a bit gutted at the moment.

The Metro was only speculating about managers who deserve a crack at the so-called bigger jobs & Nige was one name mentioned. Our response?.

Blackpool then Everton when moyes replaces fergie? Wherever he goes, I wish him well.

Absolute disgrace and a massive mistake. Nigel is transparently a good coach, great man manager and thoroughly decent man. A real sportsman and should have been with us for at least a decade . Feel like returning my season ticket at the moment, incandescent with frustrated anger. Nigel, you did not deserve this and will always be a Saints legend for me.

spot on, will boycott st marys in protest. email liebherrs your opions --

info.lgb@liebherr.com

spot on, will boycott st marys in protest. email liebherrs your opions --

info.lgb@liebherr.com

why involve people who have absolutely nothing to do with SFC. We are not owned by the Liebherr group, it is nothing to do with them. God I don't know how many times I have to explain this. SFC is owned by NC to all intents and purposes. He runs all of the late and regretted Markus's businesses now. Not that they were anything to do with the Liebherr group in the first place.

I am very saddened for NA an honourable, talented and successful manager who will always have a very special place in the history of Southampton Football Club. I have no idea whether this appointment will work or not. Chief Executive Types are typically driven individuals with a vision and once they decide a direction of travel and the means to get them there nothing will sway them. If their decisions prove wrong they themselves nearly always fall, if right they are lauded and rewarded and these types of decision become a footnote in history. As previously mentioned loyalty is the preserve of us fan not the business that is football or those employed in it. A number of board members have stated on more than one occasion that if Liverpool offered NA a job he would jump at it and rightly so. Today and I say this with regret, a chapter in the history of SFC has closed, tomorrow a new one begins where it will take us nobody on this board knows but I will as always be excited and optimistic.

Ridicoulous decision, and totally wrong timing! To maximise our chance of staying up, NA should have stayed until the end of the season, regardless of percieved "long term benefits". Our long term benefit is depending on us staying up FFS, and this decision, at this time, could cost us our PL-status!!

**** Off Nicole C, you *****.

why involve people who have absolutely nothing to do with SFC. We are not owned by the Liebherr group, it is nothing to do with them. God I don't know how many times I have to explain this. SFC is owned by NC to all intents and purposes. He runs all of the late and regretted Markus's businesses now. Not that they were anything to do with the Liebherr group in the first place.

clever clogs,are you sure ? if people knew how disgusted fans are with cortese they might query his decisions, thats all.

Edited by gazzzza

The last time Cortese sacked a manger and appointed a "nobody" it didn't really turn out that bad did it?

Yes the timing isn't perfect, but if Cortese thinks MP is the best man for the long run of our club, then so be it. He knows more about what the club wants/needs then any of us on here. Back Pochettino, we seem to have bagged ourselves a very talented young manager to go along with our very talented young squad.

To coin a famous phrase, we need to draw a line under it and move on.

Pochettino's Red Army...

p.s Let's hope the new guy knows the difference between a clap and a wave...:)

I'm frankly stunned that this has happened: didn't see it coming at all (lots of rumours, of course, but they are usually crap), and I must say it seems really unfair to Adkins, who is a great guy and an excellent manager, doing a terrific job. I wish Adkins all the best for the future: he'll always be a big part of Saints' history, and I'd expect him to be a success elsewhere.

That said, Cortese during his time in charge has gotten most things right, and seems to know what he's doing. I didn't like the Pardew appointment, but Pardew did a great job for us. I was stunned by the Pardew sacking, but Adkins came in and got us promoted twice. If Cortese thinks this is the right time to make a change, and Pocchetino is the right man to take us forward, I think he's earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt. When you look at where we were when Cortese took control, and where we are now: his record of success speaks for itself.

Let's all back Pocchetino. No booing, no Chelsea like disruption. The club is bigger than any one man, however much we may be dismayed at Adkins; dismissal: all behind Pocchetino now, I'd say.

Absolutely gutted he's gone, loved his style and what he has done for the club, but that's modern football. Worried this new guy can't even speak English but there is no way I will boo, or boycott. It's still the club I support, I'll be there on Monday.

Get behind the lads.

There is still a Premiership season to finish.

The timing of this is just baffling. How will this help the team on Monday Mr. Cortese?

If he tightens up the defence a bit on Saturday and Sunday we might not be behind at half time and then go on to win. Defence was still a shambles at times on Wednesday. We had to deploy 4 midfielders very deep to get them out of hock on occasions.

Absolutely disgusting. I am ashamed of what my club, sorry Nicola Cortese, has done today. Quite rightly every football fan in the country is now hoping we go down, and I don't blame them. We have sacked an inspirational, honest, hardworking young manager who has led us to successive promotions and has now found his feet in the Prem.

A very lucky club is going to get him. Nigel - you are and always will be a Saints legend. Cortese, you should hang your head in shame. Absolutely gutted and disgusted.