Nigel Adkins - Sacked

exit2

Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?  

678 members have voted

1. 1. Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?

Daily Echo:

"Reports emerged in the last 24 hours that the St Mary’s chief had met Argentinian coach Pochettino, who has been out of work since late November, when he was let go by Espanyol after a poor run of results."

Is this some kind of sick joke.

Absolutely ridiculous decision. Is there any seriously good reason for this, seriously?! I really hope I'm proven wrong but we are in for a thrashing on Monday now, and I fear in the end relegation. The spirit will be gone, the players will be in shock. Just an utterly stupid stupid decision

This is the harsh reality of the football world, unfortunately. Regardless of whether or not you agreed with his team selections or substitutions, he always came across as an honourable and decent man, so to be treated like this is a poor reflection on the club. I hope he does well in where ever he goes next and will always get a warm reception from me if he returns as an opposing manager one day.

But as others have said, the king is dead, long live the king, and if we are to stay up, then we will simply have to get being the team - Chelseas recent home form show you exactly what happens when the crowd turn on the manager.

Gutted... on the face of it, madness. But I guess theres more to this than meets the eye... Couldn;t attract the players? Current players don't think Adkins is up to it?

Either way, cant help but having a sneaky admiration for Cortese, knowing the **** he'll get for this

Adkins has done great for Saints but we really do seem to have a problem getting transfers over the line. I don't know if that is because NC is a pain in the arse to deal with or NA lacks the personality to enthuse the potential signings. Either way we are about to find out....

Awful awful decision and horrible timing just when we are starting to look a decent team.

Team morale will now be rock bottom, and it could take some time to repair

the damage - just after one of our most impressive results.

I will not attend the Everton game in order to show allegiance to Nigel.

Absolutely gutted for Nigel. He is a legend and I for one think we were lucky to have him.

But.. I will be there on Monday night getting behind the new manager even if I don't know how to say his surname. I will be screaming getting behind the team.. we must get behind them even if it has upset most people. We can stay up and we can draw a line under this and concentrate on the next game of football.

Only one Nigel Adkins

Gutted!

Since Christmas I had a growing feeling we are on the up and after the Chelsea result felt we would certainly avoid relegation. Now I think we've lost it and will probably go down. Nigel Adkins seems a top man and top manager. So disillusioned with Saints right now......

Apart from everything else the lunacy of this decision extends to its timing, with players talking to agents about potential moves, both into and out of Saints. If I was, say, Puncheon, I'd be keen to listen to offers now. And the one man you can bet who will be on the phone straight away will be old rubber face at QPR. Wouldn't be surprised to see Lambert move on now too. We are doomed.

Just like to point out that even if Cortese wanted Pochettino in this is the absolute worst time he could have done it. The guy has to play the teams in fifth, first and second in his first four games, he'll be overseeing our first streak of defeats in months and the fans will still be chanting for Adkins. Just complete insanity on every level, Cortese has knobbled his new toy straight out of the blocks.

I've supported Cortese's decisions, and to date he's not got much wrong IMO. But right now I'm fuming. I can't see the logic of this. I feel sorry for Adkins, who really hasn't done much wrong at all, and certainly doesn't deserve this. Adkins had the team playing for him. His positive attitude was the cause of our success, he caused the players to hold their heads high after defeats.

Can you see the players giving their all over the next few games? I certainly can't.

[Wow, I feel like I've turned into Alpine... shudder]

OMG -Iwas just watching a rerun of the chelsea match - thought we had a tough start - but had turned a corner, we were ahead of the "Cortese Plan" but I suppose if you are going to change you do it in January not later on - I really hope this unsettling does not result in a run of poor results - exactly the reason Ponchettino was let go by Espanyol!!!!

This is the harsh reality of the football world, unfortunately. Regardless of whether or not you agreed with his team selections or substitutions, he always came across as an honourable and decent man, so to be treated like this is a poor reflection on the club. I hope he does well in where ever he goes next and will always get a warm reception from me if he returns as an opposing manager one day.

But as others have said, the king is dead, long live the king, and if we are to stay up, then we will simply have to get being the team - Chelseas recent home form show you exactly what happens when the crowd turn on the manager.

On your own lad ....

This is total insanity. If you are going to make a change then do it after Nigel has kept us in the PL. Not now with 16 games to go and we are on a good run!!!! And with an ARGIE who doesn't speak ENGLISH!!!!!! You couldn't make it up, could you? If I was a Chairman of another club, I would be on the phone to Nigel immediately offering him a job. Moyes must be licking his lips for Monday.....and QPR, Reading, Wigan, Villa, Newcastle must think it's great news too. Cortese must be one self-obsessed lunatic. Small man's syndrome.

Unbelievable - I think it's totally the wrong thing to do. We are starting to put a number of good performances together, and I felt that NA had more to offer. Why Mauricio Pochettino anyway? If it was an experienced Premier League manager that might make sense. This doesn't, I'm afraid (but perhaps the logic will emerge ...... ).

Quite shocked, really!!!

Why blow the transfer window by waiting until halfway through it?

Why destroy the good feeling around the club that has taken 3 years to cultivate?

Why jeopardise the team spirit which is our only hope of staying up?

Why appoint someone with no experience of British football, and a less impressive track record than Adkins?

What happens to Pochettino's youth and attractive football plan if we get relegated?

Why think that any other manager could get substantially more out of our decent but not world-class set of players?

I don't think we should believe for one second there is any underlying reason to this other than progression - Cortese sees this as the next step, Adkins did nothing wrong.

And as angry and confused as I am, I feel compelled to point out that this thread was happening almost word for word when Pardew was sacked and Adkins replaced him...

Hear Hear

Sid Lowe and Guillem Balague also saying they think Pochettino is a very good manager

Don't get me wrong, I'm as ****ed as everyone else about Adkins losing his job. But as Saint Clark says. We all said the same thing about Pardew when Adkins was appointed.