Wigan v Saints - build up thread

Dr Who?

Sorry, but I think we are going to get smacked in the head today. A shambolic 3-0 defeat for the Saints sees us spinning into the bottom 3

I prefered your old routine. This one is a complete bore off.

Have a think about something, your yo-yo strategy and predicting heavy losses before each game just isn't working for you

Think Pochettino has a bit of a selection headache on his hands here.

Quite clearly the best footballing option would be Ramirez, Lallana, and Puncheon behind Lambert. But a massive part of the second half performance on Wednesday was the pressing from the front and Davis was sensational at doing that - and obviously far better than Ramirez doing that work. So we've got a challenge of finding the right balance between the guys will will hunt down the ball and get it (to the degree we spent the second half camped in the Man Utd half on Wednesday) vs. the guys that pose most goal threat when we have the ball.

I really liked the balance of Jay Rod, Davis, and Lallana in terms of shape and getting the ball back but it didn't quite work right once we got in and around the opponents box. If we had Puncheon and Ramirez on the pitch there would have been better chances created but there is a fair argument to say that we may not even have the ball enough to create those chances if they were the ones pressing.

Could be one of those games were we have a gameplan that will change according to how much of the ball we expect to have and our tactics to get it back. Wigan will only play one up top so it may be more of a fight in midfield which may impact how effective pressing high up the pitch we go. That said, it is quite clear to me that Pochettino doesn't appear to give a **** about how the opposition play (in a good way, I think) and believes his pressing and set-up will nullify any team. And given what we did to Man Utd in the second half (including them going through three tactical substitutions and formation changes to no effect) it would be hard to argue against him at this stage.

I suspect we will start with Lallana, Puncheon, and Ramirez and all of them will be on a short leash if the pressing isn't effective enough from them. It's harsh on Davis and Jay Rod but in that part of the pitch right now we have options and it is clear to me it is those 3 (plus the two behind) that are getting through an enormous amount of work without the ball for our new system to work, so all five will feature at some stage regardless of who starts.

And you know what, if those front four (with Lambert) do their jobs pressing it won't even bother me who plays in central defence - at worst they have to read the quick breaks and act accordingly and mop up like sweepers (that is assuming all goes to plan of course).

Looking forward to seeing how this new system gets on against a team in the relegation zone as opposed two teams in the top five.

Interesting view of pressing vs. goal threat - I'm inclined to agree with you. I hope Pochettino quickly will find the team that can perform his tactics and still score goals. Also he needs to sell the idea to Ramirez, Lallana and Puncheon that they have to work very hard when not in possession of the ball.

We haven't at all the defensive quality to back it up, but it would be interesting to see concepts such as Barca's pressing football the first 6 seconds after losing possession - no matter where on the pitch. The Barca players nearest to the ball goes on a mad hunt to stress and hurry the opponent into making a mistake. Works a treat and gives them possession far up the pitch with the other team in disarray. But as I said initially it needs a perfect organisation further back - that we do not have (yet ;))...

Edit: video of the 6 second thingy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cs0IemkVKs

Edited by Lazlo78

Boruc

Clyne - Forren - Maya - Shaw

Cork - Spiderman

Punch - Ramirez - lallana

Lambert

Definitely our team.:)

Only doubt is this a game too early for Forren?

and play Yosh right and Forren Left CB

Saints to win 3-0:)......4-0 even

COYS

Forgot....Puncheon , Cork and Gaston 2 = 4-0 win

Edited by ottery st mary

I'm looking forward to seeing how Gaston and Punch adopt to implementing the press and creating triangles after witnessing the excellent 2nd half from the bench.

Not strong enough, I can see Wigan dominating midfield and can't see us scoring with our powder puff attack.

Lallana was never realistically going to start today. If the games had been a week apart you'd expect him to start but you cant really afford to throw him in and risk him in a game that means so much to both teams. He might get 30 at the end again to ease his way back in. Wonder if Guly is on the bench today. Hope that Ramirez has got a kick up the arse from Wednesday and decides to play.

So a whole week of a training camp, plus another few days, isn't enough to get Forren match fit. FFS.

I wonder if he will even make the bench today?

The one position we really needed strengthening and we buy a player who is unfit to play in one of our most important matches of the season. Great!!

In fact, I will go so far as to say this IS our most important match this season. Win and we are 6 points clear; lose and we are level on points. Psychologically, either one is going to have a huge effect - especially without NA around to pick them up.

Win and I think we will stay up; lose and we are probably going down; draw and it is still in the balance. Just my opinion, of course.

Edit: Just seen, Forren not even on bench again. In fact, no CB on the bench. Let's hope Maya or Jos don't pick up a knock!!!!

Forren has a slight muscle strain to add to his not being quite match fit due to his lay off.

Thanks for the info.

Which muscle?

When did he strain it?

Any idea how long until he will be able to play?

In any event, just shows that we prob should have got 2 CBs in.

Interesting having a Uruguayan managed by an Argentinian. No love lost there.

Lallana was never realistically going to start today. If the games had been a week apart you'd expect him to start but you cant really afford to throw him in and risk him in a game that means so much to both teams. He might get 30 at the end again to ease his way back in. Wonder if Guly is on the bench today. Hope that Ramirez has got a kick up the arse from Wednesday and decides to play.

So a whole week of a training camp, plus another few days, isn't enough to get Forren match fit. FFS.

I wonder if he will even make the bench today?

The one position we really needed strengthening and we buy a player who is unfit to play in one of our most important matches of the season. Great!!

In fact, I will go so far as to say this IS our most important match this season. Win and we are 6 points clear; lose and we are level on points. Psychologically, either one is going to have a huge effect - especially without NA around to pick them up.

Win and I think we will stay up; lose and we are probably going down; draw and it is still in the balance. Just my opinion, of course.

Edit: Just seen, Forren not even on bench again. In fact, no CB on the bench. Let's hope Maya or Jos don't pick up a knock!!!!

No point throwing in a new toy when its not ready ,would be madness.You could throw him out there and he could be well off the pace,thats when your ****ed.

No point throwing in a new toy when its not ready ,would be madness.You could throw him out there and he could be well off the pace,thats when your ****ed.

I understand that and fully agree.

My problem is: why buy only one toy for Christmas, which can't be used until Easter, when it is essential to have a toy which can be played with on the first weekend in February?

It makes me nervous to see Jos in the starting 11, and even more so knowing we have absolutely no other option. Not even a CB for the bench. FFS.