Lambert

Davis

Fox

Forren

Davis

Puncheon

JWP

Chappers

JRod is starting to look the part so I would keep him in plus he seems the most composed in front of goal at the moment. I wonder if MP will actually start with the same line up as odd as it may seem odd considering our 2nd half performance was much better with davis and lallana coming on?

Lallana probably not going to complete 90 mins so MP may decide to use him as impact sub like the other night especially if things are going t1ts up.

I wouldn't be surprised if we started with the side we finished with v man utd, with Davis in a 3 man midfield and AL and JR wide.

Ramirez can come off the bench if needed.

Bench: Davis, fox, Forren, Ramirez, Chaplow, puncheon, lee.

Think Pochettino has a bit of a selection headache on his hands here.

Quite clearly the best footballing option would be Ramirez, Lallana, and Puncheon behind Lambert. But a massive part of the second half performance on Wednesday was the pressing from the front and Davis was sensational at doing that - and obviously far better than Ramirez doing that work. So we've got a challenge of finding the right balance between the guys will will hunt down the ball and get it (to the degree we spent the second half camped in the Man Utd half on Wednesday) vs. the guys that pose most goal threat when we have the ball.

I really liked the balance of Jay Rod, Davis, and Lallana in terms of shape and getting the ball back but it didn't quite work right once we got in and around the opponents box. If we had Puncheon and Ramirez on the pitch there would have been better chances created but there is a fair argument to say that we may not even have the ball enough to create those chances if they were the ones pressing.

Could be one of those games were we have a gameplan that will change according to how much of the ball we expect to have and our tactics to get it back. Wigan will only play one up top so it may be more of a fight in midfield which may impact how effective pressing high up the pitch we go. That said, it is quite clear to me that Pochettino doesn't appear to give a **** about how the opposition play (in a good way, I think) and believes his pressing and set-up will nullify any team. And given what we did to Man Utd in the second half (including them going through three tactical substitutions and formation changes to no effect) it would be hard to argue against him at this stage.

I suspect we will start with Lallana, Puncheon, and Ramirez and all of them will be on a short leash if the pressing isn't effective enough from them. It's harsh on Davis and Jay Rod but in that part of the pitch right now we have options and it is clear to me it is those 3 (plus the two behind) that are getting through an enormous amount of work without the ball for our new system to work, so all five will feature at some stage regardless of who starts.

And you know what, if those front four (with Lambert) do their jobs pressing it won't even bother me who plays in central defence - at worst they have to read the quick breaks and act accordingly and mop up like sweepers (that is assuming all goes to plan of course).

Looking forward to seeing how this new system gets on against a team in the relegation zone as opposed two teams in the top five.

Red

Wigan don't play 1 up front, but they do play 5 in midfield. They play 3 CB's so there should be plenty of space for the wide attackers to exploit. Gaston's closing down was superb against Everton, but he looked very poor on Wednesday. Certainly be interesting to see how we line up - just hope Shaw is back in the XI.

Think Pochettino has a bit of a selection headache on his hands here.

Quite clearly the best footballing option would be Ramirez, Lallana, and Puncheon behind Lambert. But a massive part of the second half performance on Wednesday was the pressing from the front and Davis was sensational at doing that - and obviously far better than Ramirez doing that work. So we've got a challenge of finding the right balance between the guys will will hunt down the ball and get it (to the degree we spent the second half camped in the Man Utd half on Wednesday) vs. the guys that pose most goal threat when we have the ball.

I really liked the balance of Jay Rod, Davis, and Lallana in terms of shape and getting the ball back but it didn't quite work right once we got in and around the opponents box. If we had Puncheon and Ramirez on the pitch there would have been better chances created but there is a fair argument to say that we may not even have the ball enough to create those chances if they were the ones pressing.

Could be one of those games were we have a gameplan that will change according to how much of the ball we expect to have and our tactics to get it back. Wigan will only play one up top so it may be more of a fight in midfield which may impact how effective pressing high up the pitch we go. That said, it is quite clear to me that Pochettino doesn't appear to give a **** about how the opposition play (in a good way, I think) and believes his pressing and set-up will nullify any team. And given what we did to Man Utd in the second half (including them going through three tactical substitutions and formation changes to no effect) it would be hard to argue against him at this stage.

I suspect we will start with Lallana, Puncheon, and Ramirez and all of them will be on a short leash if the pressing isn't effective enough from them. It's harsh on Davis and Jay Rod but in that part of the pitch right now we have options and it is clear to me it is those 3 (plus the two behind) that are getting through an enormous amount of work without the ball for our new system to work, so all five will feature at some stage regardless of who starts.

And you know what, if those front four (with Lambert) do their jobs pressing it won't even bother me who plays in central defence - at worst they have to read the quick breaks and act accordingly and mop up like sweepers (that is assuming all goes to plan of course).

Looking forward to seeing how this new system gets on against a team in the relegation zone as opposed two teams in the top five.

Good analysis IMO - I guess there will be a temptation to start with the "maximum pressing" line up that played the 2nd half at OT (I.e. Davis instead of Ramirez) but I think it would be best to give Ramirez and co the first crack of the whip in the knowledge we can switch to "old Trafford second half mode" at the flick of a switch.

That said, Pochettino did say in his post match interview that we need to press that hard for the full 90 mins so you never know....

We didn't really create all that many chances against United.

Saints spent over £35m on players this season, the last game saw them outplay Man Utd at Old Trafford with 21 shots on goal. Yet people complain! :D

Or so MLG told us. ;)

We didn't do too bad as it happens. I think there were 10 on target, which is a healthy on-target ratio at the Mancs. Need to bang some goals in though. Hopefully SRL will have his scoring boots on.

Puncheon has been one of the best players this season...

Ok v Man utd but not at his super best but peeps want to drop him all of a sudden.

Amazing supporters on this forum..

Opinions ......:rolleyes:

Some of the same idiots who thought and stated he was not a footballer..

Some of the same idiots who thought Boruc was not a goalkeeper..

Some of the same idiots who for some unbelievable reason want Rikeee out of the side.

Some of the same idiots who saw..(Don't believe most of these idiots watch football or even watch the Saints) Luke Shaw play

prior to selection for the first team and either did not rate him or stated he was not a footballer.

Some of the same idiots who said Yoshida was not a footballer.

Some of the same idiots who stated Lallana was not up to it

ETC

Some of the same idiots who have several different identites on this forum but state the same shiiiite over and over again..:p

Debate.....my Arrrrrse.

Some idiots........You know who you are...sillllly boyz

COYS

3 points at Wigan or you are all dropped:D

------------------------Boruc-------------------------

Clyne------------Yoshida-----------Hooiveld---------Shaw

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

-----------------Lallana--------Cork---------------

Rodriguez---------------Lambert------------------Ramirez

Richardson as a defensive sweeper tackling and tracking all attacking players across the whole width of the pitch to protect our porous defense.

Derry told me about this tactic and he is a qualified football coach. He also told me Schneiderlin is rubbish because he always passes sideways, never tackles or scores or assists.

This was the suggestion pre Swansea - remains the most bizarre post I have ever seen on here:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?41052-Swansea-Build-up/page2

derry Join Date Jul 2007

Posts 6,715

------------------------------------Gazzaniga--------------------------------------

Clyne-----------------Yoshida----------------------------Hooiveld-------------Fox

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

--------------------------Ramirez--------------Lallana------------------------------

Mayuka-----------------------------Lambert-----------------------------Rodriguez

The explanation was this:

The front sweeper covers across the whole width of the pitch and is either the first defender to try and block an attack or the first player to slot in and cover the first back four player that commits to block an attack leaving the defence compact. He also drops in behind as the circumstances dictate to cover for any gap that could occurr without the extra defender. Schneiderlin doesn't cover anyone neither does Davis but a proper defender or a proper defensive midfielder would, allowing for more attack minded midfielders which Schneiderlin and Davis aren't either.

Followed up with this after getting a bit of stick:

Maybe you should learn a bit about the game before you start pontificating about something you clearly know little about

:lol:

you should stay off the mong beans mate...;)

he also said that gazza is by far, the best keeper we have

Also the non tackling Schneiderlin currently has the msot tackles and interceptions of any midfielder in the top 5 European leagues.

No suprise he has posted less frequently after that episode.

Apart from the stupid challenge to give Utd the free kick and second goal, thought J-Rod did really well at OT. And I just have a hunch that he'll be well up for it as a Burnley boy on his return to the north-west. Him, Adam and Gaston behind Rickie with Punch to come on if needed.

The front sweeper concept always gets a chuckle!

Surely we shot our selves in the foot loaning our SDR and Forte though, they are so quick that the should be able to cover the width of the pitch at 25 years providing a sonic the hedgehog like screen in front of the back line, leaving the other 9 plays to get on and score.

missed this amazing idea when it was first offered. Laughable.

anyone that has failed to recognise Morgan's defensive qualities over the last three or four seasons knows sweat **** all about the game IMO. He has tremendous pace, a massive engine and an ability to cover the ground to get us out of all kinds of jail. In his current role (along with Cork) he is the linchpin, covering fullbacks when they go forward. What the **** we need a right back playing as a front sweeper before I will never know.

Coaching badges don't give you the ability to read and understand the game, nor spot genuine talent. Coaching badges are (unsurprisingly) about coaching and managing players.

For what it's worth, you could tell from his very first touch on the ball in his first game that Morgan was a proper player. I'm amazed there is even a single Saints fan that still doesn't rate him. In his first season his one failing was his lack of tackling. He added that to his game about 18 months into his Saints career. He could have played in the Prem three season ago IMO, but the extra time with us and the step up through the league has been perfect for his development. Get him signed up to a 5 year deal now.

------------------------Boruc-------------------------

Clyne------------Yoshida-----------Hooiveld---------Shaw

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

-----------------Lallana--------Cork---------------

Rodriguez---------------Lambert------------------Ramirez

Richardson as a defensive sweeper tackling and tracking all attacking players across the whole width of the pitch to protect our porous defense.

Derry told me about this tactic and he is a qualified football coach. He also told me Schneiderlin is rubbish because he always passes sideways, never tackles or scores or assists.

You made me smile Saint Charlie. First time for everything...

missed this amazing idea when it was first offered. Laughable.

anyone that has failed to recognise Morgan's defensive qualities over the last three or four seasons knows sweat **** all about the game IMO. He has tremendous pace, a massive engine and an ability to cover the ground to get us out of all kinds of jail. In his current role (along with Cork) he is the linchpin, covering fullbacks when they go forward. What the **** we need a right back playing as a front sweeper before I will never know.

Coaching badges don't give you the ability to read and understand the game, nor spot genuine talent. Coaching badges are (unsurprisingly) about coaching and managing players.

For what it's worth, you could tell from his very first touch on the ball in his first game that Morgan was a proper player. I'm amazed there is even a single Saints fan that still doesn't rate him. In his first season his one failing was his lack of tackling. He added that to his game about 18 months into his Saints career. He could have played in the Prem three season ago IMO, but the extra time with us and the step up through the league has been perfect for his development. Get him signed up to a 5 year deal now.

Derry has never shown any evidence that he knows what he is talking about. The absolute best thing is that he thinks he is superior as he has a coaching badge. It's hilarious and tragic at the same time. I almost feel sorry for him.

Can anyone offer a lift from in or around london tomorrow? I was playing football but its been rained off so i'm keen not to have to watch those muppets on skysports news. Can get to various places around and outside london if anyone is kind enough to assist, will obviously pay my share of petrol.

PM me or reply on thread if you can help..

Thanks...

Brian Howard is better he's a Saints fan, where is Sam Vokes when you need him.

He's also a friend of Derry's or his son is or something. He was really miffed when we didn't sign him. Made a bit of a d*ck of himself. Not taken any notice of anything he's said since...except about KD cos there he was right as was I.

Amazed so many people have Ramirez starting. What has he done to merit a place? He hasn't turned up once away from home this season and there is no reason why that could change at Wigan.

Boruc

Clyne - Yoshida - Hoovield - Shaw

Puncheon - Cork - Morgan - Adam

Lambert

Rodriguez

I would be very tempted to start Davis though. Think his cool head may be useful in a game like this. If wed night proved one thing, it's that a midfield 3 of morgan, cork and davis can be a very effective tactic for us. Those 3 totally bossed the game second half. Hopeful sticking Ramirez on the bench will fire him up. £12 million is a lot of cash for a club like us and he needs to start contributing. Let's face it, not looking like money well spent at the minute. Subs bench will be interesting for this one.

Amazed so many people have Ramirez starting. What has he done to merit a place? He hasn't turned up once away from home this season and there is no reason why that could change at Wigan.

Boruc

Lambert

Rodriguez

I would be very tempted to start Davis though. Think his cool head may be useful in a game like this. If wed night proved one thing, it's that a midfield 3 of morgan, cork and davis can be a very effective tactic for us. Those 3 totally bossed the game second half. Hopeful sticking Ramirez on the bench will fire him up. £12 million is a lot of cash for a club like us and he needs to start contributing. Let's face it, not looking like money well spent at the minute. Subs bench will be interesting for this one.

Totally agree

Boruc

Lambert

Rodriguez

With you on that.

Agree that Ramirez has done nothing to deserve a place in the starting line up (in away games at least).

In fact he's been a singular disappointment bearing in mind his transfer fee and all of the haggling it took to get him here.

About 15 games and just 3 goals, Jeez Jason "the attitude" Puncheon has done better than that.

Where's that chap that knows him ? Give him a good talking to or has his head really been turned by Fiorentina despite all protestation to the contrary.

He'll be fine he's 22 and still settling in, shown flashes of brilliance and will be a huge asset us to this season. He's having a decent season, not spectacular but not awful. Especially as he's been played out of position and had a few niggling injuries. He'll need some patience. Clearly got a lot of talent and potential and think Pochettino can get that out of him. I'm just not sure that Rodriguez and Gaston can play in the same side.