Wigan v Saints - build up thread

Dr Who?

I think Rodriguez up front with Gaston behind would work. Sometimes you can see Gaston wanting to play through balls that Rickie ain't got the movement to exploit.

True, but if Rickie is fit, he has to play IMO. He gives us an alternative to go long and can hold up the ball - J-Rod can't do that.

Thought Jay looked pretty good on the right in the 2nd half at OT. With the full backs bombing on, the 'wingers' drift inside anyway, so he becomes more of a striker anyway. The annoying thing is when Lambert comes deep and wide to get the ball, gets into a good crossing position only to look up and see Lallana and Davis marked by Vidic and Hightower from police academy.

Lawro thinks we'll lose 2-1

Lawrenson: I was at Old Trafford on Wednesday and Southampton were very impressive in the second half, certainly in comparison to Manchester United, who were poor.

Mauricio Pochettino has picked up one point from his first two games as Southampton manager

Saints boss Mauricio Pochettino made two attacking changes at half-time, which worked - they had a real go - but they did not really create the number of chances that their play warranted.

Pochettino has been a bit unlucky in his first two games because his side could and should have beaten Everton instead of drawing, and could and should have nicked a point against United. He might look at the table and think Saints should be on an extra three points.

You would expect him to go on the attack again at the DW Stadium but Wigan will not be rolled over.

The Latics played well and scored a couple of nice goals as they fought back to draw with Stoke in midweek. They have just started to pick up some positive results and they just need to get a win in the Premier League to reflect their improvement in form, and I think they will get it on Saturday.

Tokes and bear seem to be spending a lot of time with the serious posters

It's serious business over here. ffs

What are you up to...?

It's got to the business end of the season DD and dumb poster like you keep posting funny threads in the lounge instead of the muppet show so we had to come out looking for lols.

Edit: JusticeMike also banned boobs in the muppet show so this dramatically reduced the number of subjects we had to talk about.

Both teams could be on the `attack` this game, so Wgan 2 Saints 2 or Wigan 2 Saints 3. If we play like we did vs Moan U for most of the game then I think a win is certainly possible. We lost the home game due to slack defending and missing chances. A real crucial game but as with QPR and Villa I think we raise our game for these 6 pointers and lalana back in team will help, Punch needs to be at his best this time.

I think you'll be extremely close with those lineups. I think Rodriguez may play over Ramirez and Hooiveld could perhaps keep his place? Other than that, i'll say you're bang on.

Maloney is decent, one of the best players I have seen at SMS this season. Scharner was excelent last time round. El Habsi has been very inconsistent of late.

I think you'll be extremely close with those lineups. I think Rodriguez may play over Ramirez and Hooiveld could perhaps keep his place? Other than that, i'll say you're bang on.

So yeah, other than what are probably the only two players in doubt, bang on.

I think Rodriguez up front with Gaston behind would work. Sometimes you can see Gaston wanting to play through balls that Rickie ain't got the movement to exploit.

My boss who isn't a saints fan but been to a few games slates rickie as a neutral, says he's too slow and no where near prem standard. Tried to argue but felt it was based on being biased. I tend to agree to an extent, we just aren't getting the ball into the back of the net often enough anymore.

Think Pochettino haa bit of a selection headache on his hands here.

Quite clearly the best footballing option would be Ramirez, Lallana, and Puncheon behind Lambert. But a massive part of the second half performance on Wednesday was the pressing from the front and Davis was sensational at doing that - and obviously far better than Ramirez doing that work. So we've got a challenge of finding the right balance between the guys will will hunt down the ball and get it (to the degree we spent the second half camped in the Man Utd half on Wednesday) vs. the guys that pose most goal threat when we have the ball.

I really liked the balance of Jay Rod, Davis, and Lallana in terms of shape and getting the ball back but it didn't quite work right once we got in and around the opponents box. If we had Puncheon and Ramirez on the pitch there would have been better chances created but there is a fair argument to say that we may not even have the ball enough to create those chances if they were the ones pressing.

Could be one of those games were we have a gameplan that will change according to how much of the ball we expect to have and our tactics to get it back. Wigan will only play one up top so it may be more of a fight in midfield which may impact how effective pressing high up the pitch we go. That said, it is quite clear to me that Pochettino doesn't appear to give a **** about how the opposition play (in a good way, I think) and believes his pressing and set-up will nullify any team. And given what we did to Man Utd in the second half (including them going through three tactical substitutions and formation changes to no effect) it would be hard to argue against him at this stage.

I suspect we will start with Lallana, Puncheon, and Ramirez and all of them will be on a short leash if the pressing isn't effective enough from them. It's harsh on Davis and Jay Rod but in that part of the pitch right now we have options and it is clear to me it is those 3 (plus the two behind) that are getting through an enormous amount of work without the ball for our new system to work, so all five will feature at some stage regardless of who starts.

And you know what, if those front four (with Lambert) do their jobs pressing it won't even bother me who plays in central defence - at worst they have to read the quick breaks and act accordingly and mop up like sweepers (that is assuming all goes to plan of course).

Looking forward to seeing how this new system gets on against a team in the relegation zone as opposed two teams in the top five.

Good summary. I too am looking forward to seeing how we line up and play. Got to remember though that Wigan will have a game plan too.

Thought Jay looked pretty good on the right in the 2nd half at OT. With the full backs bombing on, the 'wingers' drift inside anyway, so he becomes more of a striker anyway. The annoying thing is when Lambert comes deep and wide to get the ball, gets into a good crossing position only to look up and see Lallana and Davis marked by Vidic and Hightower from police academy.

Accompanied to this music?

Seem to recall Hightower never minding that crowd.

Nervous about this one. Must not lose.

I still remember the Wigan game from earlier in the season being marked as a winnable game after tough fixtures. Anyone in the Prem capable of being a good outfit on the day. Really need to work for the points today.

Really looking forward to this game, in fact can not remember looking forward to a game so much for years, new ground, good boozers and great pies, scouse Liverpool mate coming with me, I want to show him real fans not cling on glorys.

Yep, you have to say, it takes a lot of loyalty and passion to support an unfashionable club like Wigan

Saints spent over £35m on players this season, the last game saw them outplay Man Utd at Old Trafford with 21 shots on goal. Yet people complain! :D

Saints spent over £35m on players this season, the last game saw them outplay Man Utd at Old Trafford with 21 shots on goal. Yet we still lost !

Sounds like they had a bit of a shocker on deadline day. Could you imagine it on here if we went into the final day with 3 transfers in the pipeline and didn't get any of them ! TDD, Apline, Dalek and Barry Sanchez would be having hissyfits!

Quite right as well, it shows scandalous lack of organisation and could lose them their premier league status.