Mick Channon @ 60

THERESE'S BOY

Tomorrow, 28th November 2008, is the occasion of the 60th birthday of a true Saints legend and I'm sure those of us of a certain age will want to wallow in the warmth of the happier times he represents.

We all have our ultimate Saints hero and Mick is mine. I actually think he deserves national recognition: From Wiltshire Council House, to Captain of England's football team, an FA Cup Winner, a League Cup Winner (with separate "unfashionable" teams) and a man who made his abiding passion a second career, rising to buying (being invited to buy) The Queens Racing Manager's Stables and becoming Champion Trainer.

Mick Channon has demonstrated, throughout his life, magnificent drive, talent and ambition.

I mean, who of us would be brave enough at seventeen to nutmeg John McGrath. Twice. (Although to be fair, John did have a quiet word the second time).

My view of the man is formed from getting his autograph as a nervous 11 year old, then various times after, and him never turning a kid down, or snarling at them; his hat-trick in the 5th Round Replay against WBA that caused me to go awol from my mock O's for a week and finally, and finally:

When we left the Dell in 2001, there was a black tie do under canvas. I could see from my table MC, Alan Ball and one or two others. Most of the cup winning team and other players and Lawrie were there: Shortly after the first course, a small queue formed in front of Mick; from then, through Main, dessert etc, it never diminished. At first people were getting autographs, then the cameras/photos started. I saw that Mick never refused a single request, despite the interruption to his own evening. That night Mick was giving back to the fans who loved him, and doing it with a smile. And an occasional swear word.

My last memory of that night was 0200 as we were leaving. As we passed the old dugout, there was a group of middle-aged men cavorting around in a drunken conga. There right at the front was Mick Channon. He was always one of us. He will always be one of us.

Happy Birthday Mick Channon

http://www.mickchannon.tv/

totally agree !!!!!!!!!!!!!

hat trick against the Skates to those words" we have got to go on and bloody win it now" after the Stamford Bridge Semi Final.

Mick knew what makes fans tick, a few of our current crop could learn from him, get in the box quick and make them tackle you, 3 things happen you score, you get tackled or you get a penalty, 66% in your favour

Have a great 60th Mick.

I recently came to retire to "sunny" Spain. I brought 2 special pics to go on the wall - one of the mass of yellow and blue at Cardiff and the other, a great black and white photo of MC, ball at feet thundering down towards the oppo's goal, as always scaring them sh**less. The greatest Saint for all those of us of a similar age.

We all have our ultimate Saints hero and Mick is mine. I actually think he deserves national recognition:

Why isn't he honoured? Is it a personal choice?

In this day and age someone like Jade Goody is more likely to get something than Mick.

Like to add my congratulations to MC on his 60th birthday, remember seeing him in his early days and never thought he would make it, always seemed to be on his arse, how wrong can you be.

I loved it when he used to talk about Gary Lineker used to crease me up.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Like to add my congratulations to MC on his 60th birthday, remember seeing him in his early days and never thought he would make it, always seemed to be on his arse, how wrong can you be.

I loved it when he used to talk about Gary Lineker used to crease me up.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

The boy Lineacre will always bring a smile. Had the pleasure of being in his company along with Alan Ball a number of years ago at Salisbury Races, true gent and great fun to be with.

my formative days as a fan were eagerly awaiting the windmill, happy memories.

Heard talk on radio the other day when someone on talksport was talking about this Gallas changing room nonsense -said imagine doing that with Mick Channon in the changing room he would have had Gallas against the wall by the throat - didn't know he had a reputation for being like that!

Always special to saints fans.

Can never be forgiven for putting on that blue filth shirt on. End of.!

You do have a very small mind!

Micky Channon? My all time number one. I count myself very blessed to have 'shared' Mick's career (him on the pitch - me on the terraces!). Memories and affection I will take to the grave. Along with Ron Davies and Terry Paine, Micky will always have a very special place in my heart (blue filth shirt or not! - actually that quote makes me angry!).

Happy birthday Mick, have many more.

P.

PS: I hope you are making a full recovery from your recent trauma

Can never be forgiven for putting on that blue filth shirt on. End of.!

What a complete bell-end he was pure class & my boyhood hero as of many of my age group. He also always played with a smile on his face & never took himself to seriously. He may have played for Poopey but his heart is always Red & White, and the memories he has given so many will long live with me.

So I raise a :drinkers::drinkers: or two too you Mick many Happy returns for tomorrow, here's to another 40 for you & thanks for the memories.

Happy birthday to a true Saints legend.

Growing up in South Wales I used to get to see him once a season at Cardiff and he was immense. I can remember at one game a group of Cardiff loons grudgingly admitting just how good he was, something along the lines of "he hasn't half got some skills that Channon ...". Fantastic. I listened with pride with my red and white stripes firmly hidden beneath my coat!

That's given me an idea for a Facebook group - 'Get Mick Channon Knighted'

If I knew how to start one...:confused:

I posed the question about Mick not receiving any "honours" some months back and it was generally agreed it must be through personal choice. With his record in Football and Horse Racing it's a dead cert he has been approached but knowing the kind of down to earth guy he is I suspect he would not want the fuss !

As for starting a FB group it is easy ;)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/edit.php?gid=47155005228#/group.php?gid=47155005228

Wonderful post from Therese's Boy - really did bring a tear to my eye. Along with all the other things I loved about watching Mick was his reaction when fouled - no rolling around in mock agony, just sat there shaking his head with a slight smile, as if thinking "When are they going to stop doing that?" They never did - he was too good for them!

Blimey!

I sent his website a Happy Birthday message and the response was:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 28 November 2008 07:26

To: Scott, Graham (ASIG UKHQ)

Subject: Re: Happy Birthday Mick Channon

Many Thanks Graham!

Although I'm not counting anymore!

Warmest Regards,

Mick

Wonderful post from Therese's Boy - really did bring a tear to my eye. Along with all the other things I loved about watching Mick was his reaction when fouled - no rolling around in mock agony, just sat there shaking his head with a slight smile, as if thinking "When are they going to stop doing that?" They never did - he was too good for them!

Fully agree. Great post from Therese's Boy and one that sums up my feelings exactly. Mick is 7 years older than I am and I remember seeing him break into the team as a young teenager when I was a lad. He has been a hero of mine ever since and I have the upmost admiration for him. I am also a racing fan and to achieve what Mick has done in reaching the pinnacle in two totally different sports is outstanding, but throughout he has always had a smile and enjoyed life to the full! Happy birthday Mick and "arise Sir Mick" is long overdue.

I was at that dinner in the marque after the last game at the Dell. I met Mick had my photo taken with him which still holds a pride of place in my house.

Mick was a true legend and gent who enjoyed his football, I hold all that has been said here already .

Great memories include trying to get into the dell as Mick was knocking in the goals against WBA in the cup replay in 76, his demolition against Pompey and of course the 76 Cup final. Also him and Bally and the great time they had and the great team we had on his return. Too many memories

Best wishes Mick, keep that windmill arm going