What Are You Watching..?

Robsk II

Just started Firefly this last week. Hot damn!!

It's initially a slow burner, but it really ramps up. Lots of consecutive "best ever" episodes in the middle of the first season run. I was very disheartened with the show's cancellation, and if I'm honest, have been jonesing for a decent spaceship show since Battlestar Galactica.

The happy truth is that Firefly gets a decent ending through Serenity, and all of Joss Whedon's "children" have gone on to do more of what he did, Gotham being among them (Jane Espenson).

Yeah, she's delicious in Firefly, not so hot in V (which I didn't enjoy that much) but has a decent role in Gotham. She's playing Leslie Thompkins, who ends up being a Batman confidant in the comics, knowing his identity etc.

Anyone picked up and watched an american comedy called Fresh off the Boat ? its about a asian family moving from Washington to Orlando in 1995 and is based on a true story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3551096/

Its funny to me as I lived in Singapore for 4yrs so the asian stereotype's make me chuckle and the writing is quite amusing.

Anyway if your interested here is a free place you can stream the current episodes, I think they have about another 5 episodes left in season one to be released.

http://www.couchtuner.eu/watch-fresh-off-the-boat-online/

Been catching up on all kinds the last couple of days. I suppose Better Call Saul is at the top of that list, which I'm enjoying so much I'm willing to overlook the fact that everyone looks a wee bit wrinklier than they did in Breaking Bad. Bob Odenkirk is there in his pre-Saul days, as is Mike. I've just seen the first serious chat between those two, which bodes well. No spoilers, but Mike isn't the only Breaking Bad character that turns up. New to this show is Michael McKean, of Spinal Tap and all-round improvisational fame. But yeah, it's quality so far. Even though we know the endpoint, there is plenty of scope for Odenkirk's character to rise and fall in between, and it does seem like he's getting into many of the same types of scrapes as Walt and Jesse found themselves in, just without the chemical inspiration.

Edited by pap

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone knows that all the Marvel DC-type TV shows suck. Agents of Shield sucks! Arrow sucks! The Flasher sucks! Agent Carter sucks! But that new Daredevil one, that is on Netflix, is an oddity. Sometimes ur watching it, and ur thinking... this doesn't suck!

Edit: The Gotham one sucks too :thumbup:

Edited by Bearsy

I did worry bout that Pap, but I think watching one episode a week sucks too :( I always wish I had the self-restraint to wait till a season has finished, and then stuff them all down in one big gulp! It is alot more immersive like that, when you're staring at screen for so long that when ur mum comes home and calls your name, you get all confused, and look at her uncomprehendingly, like she's speaking valyrian :?

I like the Netflix model much better, where you can eat till ur sick, or just pick at it like sparrow, depending on ur mood. All TV shows will be like that, one day :thumbup:

Good start to the series, I dont think Ill watch the leaked episodes, think Ill wait and watch them week to week, that way, since Walking Deads finished, I get something to look forward too.

That said I do much prefer the Netflix model, as bearsy says, I get to sit and watch Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy etc to my hearts content.

As for GoT, its good, its super good, but having read the books there is certainly something missing. I dont look forward to it as much as I do Walking Dead, because I know what happens I think. Its going to be interesting to see what happens at the end of this series however considering this is effectively the current most recent book in effect and Winds of Winter is apparantly not due till next year.

Good start to the series, I dont think Ill watch the leaked episodes, think Ill wait and watch them week to week, that way, since Walking Deads finished, I get something to look forward too.

That said I do much prefer the Netflix model, as bearsy says, I get to sit and watch Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy etc to my hearts content.

As for GoT, its good, its super good, but having read the books there is certainly something missing. I dont look forward to it as much as I do Walking Dead, because I know what happens I think. Its going to be interesting to see what happens at the end of this series however considering this is effectively the current most recent book in effect and Winds of Winter is apparantly not due till next year.

Is Sons of Anarchy worth a watch? Good IMDB rating.watched first episode and seemed ok.

Is Sons of Anarchy worth a watch? Good IMDB rating.watched first episode and seemed ok.

I used to watch it. The entire series is now done, but I'm not overfussed about getting around to finish it off.

It's a mostly good show let down by some terrible acting and writing. There is one season where the gang are in Northern Ireland for most of it. Consequently, you have a lot of Northern Irish characters both in the lead-up and the execution to that season. I think they employed one actor born in the province. The result is laughably crap.

What's even crapper is the plot point that gets them there, and it's not even the most ridiculous thing I've seen on the show. For that, I don't think you can beat the character arc of Agent Stahl.

Fiction is apparently about suspending your audience's disbelief. Now I'm not the sort of person that'll nitpick on first view, but SOA is at times so ridiculously acted or written that my disbelief is all too evident as I'm watching.

I really enjoyed it, takes a couple of episodes to get into but its up there with Walking dead and Thrones for me

What was everyones thoughts on Breaking Bad out of interest ? Personally I thought it was decent but I didnt see it as the untouchable series that it was made out to be. Both Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are better IMO

I really enjoyed it, takes a couple of episodes to get into but its up there with Walking dead and Thrones for me

What was everyones thoughts on Breaking Bad out of interest ? Personally I thought it was decent but I didnt see it as the untouchable series that it was made out to be. Both Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are better IMO

Going by this logic, you're pitching SOA as a better show than Breaking Bad.

Yer right.

Sons of Anarchy is ok for dumbasses like Smirking, i.e. ppl that think Walking Dead is better than Breaking Bad, but it is not a show I would recommend for people that are not dumbasses :thumbdown:

I agree with this assessment. Sorry Smirkers.

I used to watch it. The entire series is now done, but I'm not overfussed about getting around to finish it off.

It's a mostly good show let down by some terrible acting and writing. There is one season where the gang are in Northern Ireland for most of it. Consequently, you have a lot of Northern Irish characters both in the lead-up and the execution to that season. I think they employed one actor born in the province. The result is laughably crap.

What's even crapper is the plot point that gets them there, and it's not even the most ridiculous thing I've seen on the show. For that, I don't think you can beat the character arc of Agent Stahl.

Fiction is apparently about suspending your audience's disbelief. Now I'm not the sort of person that'll nitpick on first view, but SOA is at times so ridiculously acted or written that my disbelief is all too evident as I'm watching.

Inclined to agree with Pap on this. Though granted I didn't give it the fairest of shots (gave up before the end of series 1). It was dull, any issue or problem was solved with some over the top shoot out, often some sort of 3 vs 17 type scenario.

And yeah, the acting is shocking. Somehow a Geordie is a more convincing American than the entire cast of Americans. I know a lot of people that rave about SoA, but I just don't get it. Unless everyone is just in it for Jackson? Pretty sure this is the reason the gf insisted it giving it longer. He's a handsome chap like.

Ok cheers everyone and will give it a swerve for now

Still haven't got through latest Spiral.

What do people think of Spiral? I really enjoyed previous series but aware could be being suckered by subtitles making it feel more high brow

Everyone knows that all the Marvel DC-type TV shows suck. Agents of Shield sucks! Arrow sucks! The Flasher sucks! Agent Carter sucks! But that new Daredevil one, that is on Netflix, is an oddity. Sometimes ur watching it, and ur thinking... this doesn't suck!

We're two episodes into Daredevil. Really liked the second episode, which nails a lot of the character. Has crap kicked out of him. Wins day. Would do it again.

Actually really like all of the above :(

Also if you're having trouble with the page being blocked by virgin media / bt etc

Download the ZenMate extension, scrambles your IP (or protects it i dunno I study plants) and allows you access to the websites that have been blocked - as for streams Project Free Tv is the best one around. Puts them all in one place and you can take your pick, hosted through there. Just have ad block on.

Also if you install Hola Unblocker it allows you to access American Netflix for different shows. Just don't run it the same time as ZenMate as they don't like each other.

Man... 9 grand a year and the most I've learnt is how to stream stuff.

:)

he's a sellsword JB, a sellsword! Do You Need More Links That Are Ok For Virgins Or Are You Ok Now?

It's OK I've lost my virginity now (it's all on Showbox).

Glad to see GoTits maintain its high quality.

What do people think about the Faceless man's mysterious abode? I thought maybe the status mean something, one has Dragon Queen style hair and another has a lion(ess)s head, possibly representing Cersee?

It's OK I've lost my virginity now (it's all on Showbox).

Glad to see GoTits maintain its high quality.

What do people think about the Faceless man's mysterious abode? I thought maybe the status mean something, one has Dragon Queen style hair and another has a lion(ess)s head, possibly representing Cersee?

Why would you start ruining it for people who haven't watched the episodes? *****.

How is it ruined? These aren't spoilers at all. Fools.

+1 People are too precious! It's not like you mentioned what happened to John Snerr when he took Ginger's body up Zombie mountain to beg help from the White Walker King RIP

We're two episodes into Daredevil. Really liked the second episode, which nails a lot of the character. Has crap kicked out of him. Wins day. Would do it again.

I really quite like Daredevil. I was prejudice against it cos of Ben Affleck, and cos the superpower seems pretty dumb i.e. I don't care how good ur sense of smell is, light is travel faster than sound + smell, so it can never make you more as good at ducking punches. What is good about it tho, is that his superpower is also inherently linked to his superweakness. They don't make enough of this actually. They should have had him fighting more in i.e. crowded, noisy nightclubs or i.e. construction sites or i.e. outer space, where his Superpowers would be overwhelmed, and sight-blind would be more Disadvantage + Superweakness.

It also took me like 3 episodes before I realised the main guy is that dude from that film bout the Star that turns into a woman across the Wall :thumbup:

Edit: Stardust :thumbup:

Ok cheers everyone and will give it a swerve for now

Still haven't got through latest Spiral.

What do people think of Spiral? I really enjoyed previous series but aware could be being suckered by subtitles making it feel more high brow

I liked it - didn't get round to watching all of it though. It's got French women in it which is good too.

Just about to start watching Boardwalk Empire.

Have also finally got round to ordering the boxset of Oz (HBO prison drama) - never quite sure why this doesn't get the nods it deserves. Not on a par with the Sopranos/Wire but it's not too far short. Pretty brutal, mind.

Going by this logic, you're pitching SOA as a better show than Breaking Bad.

Yer right.

I agree with this assessment. Sorry Smirkers.

Meh

Imo it is, easier to watch, I liked Breaking Bad, I did, but didnt see it as the be all and end all that it was made out to be. Being honest, BB is definately better written and acted, but I genuinely enjoyed SOA more.

I'm also enjoying Daredevil, when I expected to hate it. I'm not looking forward to the costume though, it's far more enjoyable with him as a vigilante with an improvised Zorro mask thing. My only problem so far is that Kingpin seems to be a bit of a fragile mess rather than a genuinely threatening genius. It doesn't really seem like he should have risen to such power when his face looks so constantly full of insecurity. It gives the appearance that his assistant is the real genius orchestrating everything.

The fight scene when he rescues the boy was one of the best I've seen on telly though. Normally superhero types make everybody unconscious with one well placed punch, so it was great to see him battered and exhausted, surveying the scene as the last man went down, only for them all to start getting back up again.

Finished Daredevil. What a satisfying thirteen hours of television that is. I think we have a new "best" in the comic book TV adaptation stakes. Most other shows of this ilk tend to overstay their welcome, leaving at least a third of the season to be occupied by "Freak of the week" episodes. There's none of that here. What we have is deftly told arc story which weaves in some compelling origin material for both Daredevil and Wilson Fisk, and for once, a decent bloody finale. This is entirely aimed at adults; kids need not apply. as there are several scenes in the show that are pretty damn brutal.

Fans of the source material may take issue with a couple of things. First, Ben Urich, a big supporting character in the MCU, has been recast as a black dude( the excellent Vondie Curtis-Hall ), having traditionally been portrayed as a chain-smoking whitey. I've got no real issue with that, certainly far less of an issue than I did with the casting of Michael Clarke Duncan as Wilson Fisk in the 2003 movie. There are also some character deaths which may raise some eyebrows. There are almost no uses of any superhero aliases. Wilson Fisk is never referred to as the Kingpin, and the moniker used to describe Daredevil changes throughout the series.

It's a much talkier affair than one might expect. If you're anticipating balls to the wall action all the time, you'll be disappointed. However, the upside is that most of the characters are well-developed, Fisk and Murdock being particularly well done. As for Fisk's fragility mentioned by norwaysaint, it's there, but it works for me now that I have seen it all.

There is more Marvel to come from Netflix. Jessica Jones is next up, and she will be played by Krysten Ritter. We've then got Iron Fist series and Luke Cage series following that. Finally, there is a mini-series called The Defenders which is probably going to be TV's version of the Avengers. If it's anything like the quality of Daredevil, going to be some interesting binge-watching on the horizon.

Edited by pap

See nobody's mentioned Better Call Saul in a while - thought the rest of the first series was excellent, even if some sub-stories meandered with no real payoff (e.g the Kettermans). Mike's backstory was a highlight. The relationship between Jimmy and his brother was done really well -probably more sensitively than anything in Breaking Bad which on one didn't leave much room for ambiguity once Walter crossed the moral rubicon. By the same token, it probably means that there won't be the same fireworks in future seasons as in BB but that's no bad thing.

I've just seen 'Millionaire Basement Wars' on the old iPlayer and what great fun it was.

This programe told the story of why in the posher parts of London - such as the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea - because strict planning restrictions mean you are no longer allowed to build up or out, the mega rich residents of these exclusive areas are now excavating huge subterranean basements to house their assorted cinema rooms, gyms and underground waterfalls - features that I think we can all agree are now essential to civilised life. Some have gone so far as to turn their property's into so called 'Iceberg Houses' - IE there is more beneath ground than on top.

The problem is that all the inevitable disruption caused by this prolonged bunker building activity is sunsetting their equally wealthy neighbours no end. Schadenfreude is nothing to be proud of course, but come on, there is something intrinsically funny about seeing the wealthy and powerful having to suffer the kind of everyday crap that is normally the lot of the rest of us.

Indeed, seeing the privileged upper class types such as 'Jeremy' lose their rag with a bunch of builders and grab lorry drivers who couldn't care less ... well you'd need a heart of stone not to laugh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05r86yg/millionaire-basement-wars

Better Call Saul was a real surprise. It was incredibly tightly written and was far more compelling than we could've expected given the subject matter. I mean, we all know where he is in the future, so we know he's not getting rich, that nothing he starts under his real name will come to anything and that certain characters will not be in his life in the future, yet it was great. I wish we could have seen even more of him as a shyster though, he fitted that character perfectly.

I've reached a bump with Daredevil and it's name is Fisk. I'm finding his angsty character really grating and I feel he slows everything down. Matt Murdock and the rest are great though and there's loads of potential as long as they don't rush it, but Fisk is by far the dullest character and that's odd, because usually the arch villain is the most fun part of a series. I just find it hard to believe in him rising to become powerful to boss these other factions around when he is such a mess. Hopefully he'll have become a bit more convincing by the time I get to the end of the series.

I've also seen a few episodes of Walking Dead series 5. As usual it gets a bit baggy in places as they try to spin a out the story to fill a long series, but actually I'd say it looks like the best series since the first.

Finished Daredevil. What a satisfying thirteen hours of television that is. I think we have a new "best" in the comic book TV adaptation stakes. Most other shows of this ilk tend to overstay their welcome, leaving at least a third of the season to be occupied by "Freak of the week" episodes. There's none of that here. What we have is deftly told arc story which weaves in some compelling origin material for both Daredevil and Wilson Fisk, and for once, a decent bloody finale. This is entirely aimed at adults; kids need not apply. as there are several scenes in the show that are pretty damn brutal.

Fans of the source material may take issue with a couple of things. First, Ben Urich, a big supporting character in the MCU, has been recast as a black dude( the excellent Vondie Curtis-Hall ), having traditionally been portrayed as a chain-smoking whitey. I've got no real issue with that, certainly far less of an issue than I did with the casting of Michael Clarke Duncan as Wilson Fisk in the 2003 movie. There are also some character deaths which may raise some eyebrows. There are almost no uses of any superhero aliases. Wilson Fisk is never referred to as the Kingpin, and the moniker used to describe Daredevil changes throughout the series.

It's a much talkier affair than one might expect. If you're anticipating balls to the wall action all the time, you'll be disappointed. However, the upside is that most of the characters are well-developed, Fisk and Murdock being particularly well done. As for Fisk's fragility mentioned by norwaysaint, it's there, but it works for me now that I have seen it all.

There is more Marvel to come from Netflix. Jessica Jones is next up, and she will be played by Krysten Ritter. We've then got Iron Fist series and Luke Cage series following that. Finally, there is a mini-series called The Defenders which is probably going to be TV's version of the Avengers. If it's anything like the quality of Daredevil, going to be some interesting binge-watching on the horizon.

Just started watching this with the gf. I liked the first ep, unsure on the second. It seems like it could all get rather silly? Though, I 'spose you have to allow for some of that, it being Marvel n all. Still, it's far better than what I expected when I first saw of it. To be honest, if it wasn't for folk mentioning it on here, I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

Also just finished the first season of The Bridge. That's a really good show, can see why it was so popular. Even managed to keep me engrossed enough for a whole season with sub-titles. I don't have the greatest attention span when I'm sat watching something, so it says something that this managed to. Some really interesting interactions between the characters, unexpected deaths and an excellent lead character in Saga. Also slightly intrigued by the fact it seems I have picked up a few (seriously, very few) Swedish phrases from work, we have a large contingent of them here. Didn't expect that :)

Yes 'The Bridge' is utterly addictive once you get into it. The good news is that Series 3 is in production and expected to air on the BBC later this year. The bad news is that Kim Bodnia (Martin) has left the series alas.

Once you get to the end of Series 2 you will know just how difficult it would have been to write him back into the script anyway.