Reality check

Fitzhugh Fella

It might also be worth questioning why people believe MP will have any more chance of selecting the players he wants than NA, or if they will be assembled for him ?

This really isnt the way it works in modern football, with the exception of perhaps Man U or Arsenal transfer policy is down to committee.

It is done this way to ensure a situation such as QPR where 3 successive managers have been offered cash to spend and bought dross, dross that a new manager would never wish to use.

We would need to spend the same or more than our rivals consistantly, its no good saying about the academy if they are as good as other clubs players bought they cancel each other out but save us loads of money.

£50 Million and wages is bare minimum, will we spend that? No we wont so all the hope and expectation of European football is folly and quite irresponsible as it raises false hopes to the clapper and non football cling on.

Well, this I do agree with. Whilst it is a little exciting and dizzying considering where we were two years ago Europe for me will be a step too far. Thought that we MAY have risen too quickly for the prem but we managed to get our act together just about in the end, though it cost us big.

As for Europe, I sm secretly quite glad that we are not Europe bound. You only have to look at the damage to Newcastle who actually tried to compete and even a lesser extent Chelsea (though I doubt Rafa's ability as a league manager). Dont get me wrong I reckon we will dump atleast another 20m into the team next year. And maybe we can try to get into Europe through the league ?

What I am saying is we need a few years to build a decent squad first.

Why is it that only bad results are called reality checks? Why aren't the City, Chelsea or Liverpool games the true measure of reality?

Ummm, you have been reading this forum recently? The reality is we're finishing tenth this season and next season we're realistically targeting top four but we will accept 10th which will be a "better" tenth than Swansea and West Brom who only achieve "meaningless" tenth place finishes.

Gary Neville has just answered all the pessimists on here... he reckons we have the potential to do really well next season and to emulate Swansea's rise, finishing in the top half of the table (with the caveat of continued improvement through purchases in the summer). 'nuff said!!!

It was his brother Phil on MoTD who said this.

'As for Europe, only Cortese and our most one eyed supporter see that as imminently likely.'

Maybe, but this is Cortese's ambition and the day he loses his belief in SFC may be the day he packs up and takes the Liebherr estate's money elsewhere.

Let us all dream. That is what football is about. Realistically we can expect more exciting football next season, because the club has built the foundations here to build on hardwon success. How far that goes we will find out.

Meanwhile we must concentrate on fighting for those extra points we need for survival.

Maybe, but this is Cortese's ambition and the day he loses his belief in SFC may be the day he packs up and takes the Liebherr estate's money elsewhere.

Let us all dream. That is what football is about. Realistically we can expect more exciting football next season, because the club has built the foundations here to build on hardwon success. How far that goes we will find out.

Meanwhile we must concentrate on fighting for those extra points we need for survival.

You dream whilst I consider what really needs to be done to achieve a top 6/7 spot.

We need to outbid Liverpool and Everton.

I simply dont think that will happen, Liverpool will moan that they will only have £25 Million to spend this season and have Carroll back.

Thats a bad year.

You dream whilst I consider what really needs to be done to achieve a top 6/7 spot.

I simply dont think that will happen, Liverpool will moan that they will only have £25 Million to spend this season and have Carroll back.

Thats a bad year.

That is a useless response.

What's the point of these "reality checks"? Who cares if people were confident of a win before the game yesterday? We were the home side and one of the most in form sides in the division. Most fans of all teams would be confident in that position. We're a lower mid table side capable of losing games like we did yesterday. No need for these ridiculous inquests and reality checks. No one thinks that we would never lose a game.

Fans, Trophies and World wide following.

Far too simplistic and also too much a matter of opinion for those who support the so-called glory clubs.

It is perfectly possible nowadays for a relatively unfashionable club to be bought by a mega-rich billionaire, who by throwing money at it, can buy the best players in World football and start winning the trophies which will attract the glory-hunter fans around the World. Then that club will by your definition be a big club.

In my lifetime I've witnessed enough once great clubs face a decline into comparitive insignificance and enough clubs who were second rate minnows grow into big clubs, to be a bit more circumspect about the prospects for growth of any club in the future.

Far too simplistic and also too much a matter of opinion for those who support the so-called glory clubs.

It is perfectly possible nowadays for a relatively unfashionable club to be bought by a mega-rich billionaire, who by throwing money at it, can buy the best players in World football and start winning the trophies which will attract the glory-hunter fans around the World. Then that club will by your definition be a big club.

In my lifetime I've witnessed enough once great clubs face a decline into comparitive insignificance and enough clubs who were second rate minnows grow into big clubs, to be a bit more circumspect about the prospects for growth of any club in the future.

Such as?

What clubs have you seen grow from second rate minnows into big ones?

Why is it that only bad results are called reality checks? Why aren't the City, Chelsea or Liverpool games the true measure of reality?

Because that is only a subset, as is WBA h&a and QPR home. I think Kraken has summed it up well, not relegation fodder but not quite mid table also rans.

I remember the same thing happening just the week before QPR and we were humbled, although there was no long-term ambition talk from the club just before...

A lesson to this forum. But I guess it's part of the emotional side of footie. One week you think you can pull all the upsets, the other one you take out the calculator just in case.

Or he'll do the Man City in third tier routine.

I've seen Liverpool in the 50s mentioned s couple of times in the past, apparently they were tiny back then and don't forget Chelsea on the 80s, they only used to get 13,000 don't yah know.

Talk of CL qualification next year is daft. When I read Yoshida banging on about it in the paper I just knew we would lose.

I we invest heavily we have a chance of Europa. I would say we need a decent left back as cover for Shaw, a top centre back, decent cover in centre mid and a couple of strikers.

I've seen Liverpool in the 50s mentioned s couple of times in the past, apparently they were tiny back then and don't forget Chelsea on the 80s, they only used to get 13,000 don't yah know.

Popular myth concerning Chelsea

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/england.htm

The two seasons where they got low attendances were also the seasons they were going out of business and hooliganism was ballsing the club up. They in fact are the 5th highest average all time attendance.

1st Myth dispelled.

Liverpool have always been popular

They became a Worldwide known side after 1977.

2nd Myth dispelled.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

Wigans could probably rival that but they are not big clubs are they? Young Wes is simply talking rubbish, he can not name a small club that has gone onto become big because none exist.

They are much bigger than what they were, because of investment and success.

It's all relative, Man City are not a big club compared to Real Madrid. Reading are big compared to many clubs.

Thats a bad year.

Perhaps we can be a small team like Dortmund who have never outspent, Liverpool, Everton, or Spurs!

Gary Neville has just answered all the pessimists on here... he reckons we have the potential to do really well next season and to emulate Swansea's rise, finishing in the top half of the table (with the caveat of continued improvement through purchases in the summer). 'nuff said!!!

Do you mean Phil Neville?

Popular myth concerning Chelsea

The two seasons where they got low attendances were also the seasons they were going out of business and hooliganism was ballsing the club up. They in fact are the 5th highest average all time attendance.

1st Myth dispelled.

Liverpool have always been popular

They became a Worldwide known side after 1977.

2nd Myth dispelled.

Quite. Both of them have always been big clubs. Just dinlows on here don't seem to realise that.

Talk of CL qualification next year is daft. When I read Yoshida banging on about it in the paper I just knew we would lose.

I we invest heavily we have a chance of Europa. I would say we need a decent left back as cover for Shaw, a top centre back, decent cover in centre mid and a couple of strikers.

It's a bit more complicated than that, something which the so-called 'realists' on here in their blinkered stubborness fail to understand, preferring to build their own straw men.

Track the history: Boruc was asked a number of leading questions -the chairman has high ambitions etc- and the question of CL football came up. Yoshida was then asked your team mate has gone on record saying x, y, z. Rather than undermining him, saying he's speaking complete **** or calling the journo a knob for setting Boruc up in the first place, he again deferred diplomatically with why not. Or consider MP's statement that its important to aim for the stars. You seriously believe this means that the club is falling for its own hype?

Once again, too many hot and bothered simpletons reading too much into innocuous statements, cod-psychology and the time-honoured need to present a positive and united front to the media. After all, those very same players will say they're taking one game at a time -and are focused on the here and now. Which vacuous cliche is it?

I agree that we are 3 or 4 top class players off from challenging the top half - if they click (no guarantees), I would be delighted with a top 6-8 finish.

But first let's finish this season and make sure we get over the line as quickly and confidently as possible.

Edited by shurlock

It's a bit more complicated than that, something which the so-called 'realists' on here in their blinkered stubborness fail to understand, preferring to build their own straw men.

Track the history: Boruc was asked a number of leading questions -the chairman has high ambitions etc- and the question of CL football came up. Yoshida was then asked your team mate has gone on record saying x, y, z. Rather than undermining him, saying he's speaking complete **** or calling the journo a knob for setting Boruc up in the first place, he again deferred diplomatically with why not. Or consider MP's statement that its important to aim for the stars. You seriously believe this means that the club is falling for its own hype?

Once again, too many hot and bothered simpletons reading too much into innocuous statements, cod-psychology and the time-honoured need to present a positive and united front to the media. After all, those very same players will say they're taking one game at a time -and are focused on the here and now. Which vacuous cliche is it?

I agree that we are 3 or 4 top class players off from challenging the top half - if they click (no guarantees), I would be delighted with a top 6-8 finish.

But first let's finish this season and make sure we get over the line as quickly and confidently as possible.

I don't think any of the "realists" are responding to the comments from the players or the manager. That stuff is ten a penny meaningless puffery.

If anyone is wetting themselves and getting in a frenzy over those comments it is the "believers". And the rest of us are having a little chuckle about it.

Good effort though.