Leandro Damiao!

Lambert7

Other than you suggesting we sign a very average 30 year old L2 player and that your assumption that English players will have a better attachment to Saints over a foreign player (why do they need to be journeymen btw?), I don't have much of a problem with what you said.

In your opinion he is an average L2 player. I have seen him play a few times and he was the best player on the pitch. He is also not a L2 player and was a Championship player until recently,and player of the season. His age is against him.

Do you think that a foreign player cares for English clubs or more importantly the money?

In your opinion he is an average L2 player. I have seen him play a few times and he was the best player on the pitch. He is also not a L2 player and was a Championship player until recently,and player of the season. His age is against him.

Do you think that a foreign player cares for English clubs or more importantly the money?

There are very few players who grow up dreaming about playing for Saints. English players and foreign players will both move based on financial reasons and the opportunity to play at the highest level their ability allows them to. Maybe you should ask the question to the likes of Claus, Fonte, Niemi, Monkou etc instead.

Its a new name to consider but averaging one goal every fifth or sixth game is not going to wing him many fans here. However, I do agree with you that having a predominance of English players is good for the future of the club - and indeed good for the future of English football!

You do know the reasons for most of them staying is they were playing at the largest clubs in teh World getting vast amounts of "filthy lucre" or playing at the highest level they could, Davis would have gone from no1 to a reserve keeper at the expense of uprooting his family and the end of his career.

LeTissier was going to go to Spurs but bailed at the last minute, he was one of the last loyal footballers.

Wasn't that because his then wife didn't want to move?

There are very few players who grow up dreaming about playing for Saints. English players and foreign players will both move based on financial reasons and the opportunity to play at the highest level their ability allows them to. Maybe you should ask the question to the likes of Claus, Fonte, Niemi, Monkou etc instead.

We got Fonte from a team in a higher League, why did he come?

We got Fonte from a team in a higher League, why did he come?

He said at the time, he wanted to play in the Premiership - and believed we were his best way to do that. Also worth remembering that Palace were about to go into admin.

Or, what is you answer? For the money?

But I thought you have spent the last few weeks telling us that Cortese won't open his wallet to convince players from the next level (Champ to L1 probably has to be considered next level)?

Even though you repeatedly tell us all how Gaston only came here for the money we were paying him?

Is that a massive flaw in your 'logic'?

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove
typo

He said at the time, he wanted to play in the Premiership - and believed we were his best way to do that. Also worth remembering that Palace were about to go into admin.

Or, what is you answer? For the money?

But I thought you have spent the last few weeks telling us that Cortese won't open his wallet to convince players from the next level (Champ to L1 probably has to be considered next level)?

Even though you repeatedly tell us all how Gaston only came here for the money we were paying him?

Is that a massive flaw in your 'logic'?

Palace are now in the Premeirship.

Ramirez did only go to Southampton for the money, he admitted it himself, it obvious the Cortese offered far more than others, no conflict there, pretty obvious, we will have to do it again.

Palace are now in the Premeirship.

Ramirez did only go to Southampton for the money, he admitted it himself, it obvious the Cortese offered far more than others, no conflict there, pretty obvious, we will have to do it again.

But Fonte didn't know that was going to happen - and even when it did, it happened a season AFTER it did for Saints, so his move was justified after all.

Fonte didn't know we were going to go up either, in fact earlier than predicted if you believe the 5 year plan.

But he did know they were lower-half of the championship & about to go into administration.

In comparison, we had been recently taken over, had a manager with decent experience at a higher level and were spending large amounts relative to our league placing.

Ramirez also didn't say he came here solely for the money. So just stop trying to peddle that myth.

How exactly can you saying Ramirez came for the money, whilst also insinuating Fonte came for the money, and then repeatedly claim Cortese is too tight to open his wallet for next level players?

That is a contradiction in terms Barry. Try and claim it isn't, but anyone with the slightest bit of intelligence can see how pathetic and weak this argument is.

Its not irrelevent at all, its the whole bloody point.

Well, they had a league headstart on us, and we still got there first.

We also survived our first year in the Prem, which they look rather unlikely to do. If you think our transfers were bad - Dwight Gayle for £8m? Kevin Phillips? They are no hopers.

Well, they had a league headstart on us, and we still got there first.

We also survived our first year in the Prem, which they look rather unlikely to do. If you think our transfers were bad - Dwight Gayle for £8m? Kevin Phillips? They are no hopers.

I think Kevin Philips played an important role in getting them there dont you?

Is a 40 year old Kevin Phillips the sort of signing that is likely to keep them up?

WHat would your reaction have been if that was a Nic/Les signing eh?

No he got them up didn't he? That was my point, I'm not too sure how much game time he shall have this year.

Fonte is not a Premiership defender in my opinion either, how many centre backs have we bought now to replace him?

No he got them up didn't he? That was my point, I'm not too sure how much game time he shall have this year.

Fonte is not a Premiership defender in my opinion either, how many centre backs have we bought now to replace him?

To my knowledge, the club have never said that signings were made to replace anyone. It is only supposition from sections of the fan base that says otherwise. Signings are made to strengthen the squad and provide competition for places. So in answer to your question, we have signed zero centre backs to replace Fonte. Hope this helps.

Morgan stayed with us because he wanted to 'put right' that we'd been relegated.

To my knowledge, the club have never said that signings were made to replace anyone. It is only supposition from sections of the fan base that says otherwise. Signings are made to strengthen the squad and provide competition for places. So in answer to your question, we have signed zero centre backs to replace Fonte. Hope this helps.

So if a better or supposed better player is bought and becomes and established part of the 1st team, has he replaced someone or are we playing with 12 men?

Lovren has been signed to replace someone, you wouldn't sign a player for £8 Million to merely strengthen a squad, you would want him to play.

So if a better or supposed better player is bought and becomes and established part of the 1st team, has he replaced someone or are we playing with 12 men?

Lovren has been signed to replace someone, you wouldn't sign a player for £8 Million to merely strengthen a squad, you would want him to play.

So are you now saying that if Fonte or anyone else up their game or improves, Lovren should still be played in preference as he cost more and was bought to replace? It seems a very simplistic and short sighted veiw to me if I'm honest. To replace suggests that the player to be replaced is surplus to requirements. This doesn't seem to be the case here. I would rather team selection was made based on form rather than transfer fee and perceived squad roles. I mean no offence, but I'm relieved that our management team seem to be more open minded and realistic in football matters. All my opinion though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just watching the Real Betis v Malaga game on Sky and I see Leandro Damiao has signed for Betis on 6 month contract. Think this might have been his first game for them as he only joined last month. Didn't seem to be up to speed so probably a bit unfair to judge him just on one game. Be interesting to see how he gets on