Leandro Damiao!

Lambert7

For two or three years Spurs peddled rumours that they were after big name players above their level at the time and didn't really get anyone but the effect was that it upped their profile over that time. Admittedly they were possibly a level above where we are now but I think we have a better foundation and core of team particularly from an age and potential perspective. Us being linked with £20m+ players is all part of the process of profile building. We may never get to be a top four/champions league team but unless you aim that high you are extremely unlikely to get anywhere near it. It may not be this window or even next summer but at sometime in the next two seasons I fully expect us to sign at least one player for £20m+. Robinho was Man City's catalyst signing....who will be ours??!!!!

For two or three years Spurs peddled rumours that they were after big name players above their level at the time and didn't really get anyone but the effect was that it upped their profile over that time. Admittedly they were possibly a level above where we are now but I think we have a better foundation and core of team particularly from an age and potential perspective....

Spurs were definitely a team then above our present level.

Yes, we are ambitious and we have significantly strengthened our midfield and defence. But are we actually in a different position to this time last year when the consensus was that our aim was to ensure survival?

What is different now? This time last year we had added a major international signing, but we had a Championship strength defence. Now we have a stronger defence. Twelve months ago we had a freescoring attack. Now our strikers are not finding the net so easily. I'm confident that they will find form, however until they do I am afraid that without a Damiao or even a Hooper to freshen our strikeforce survival must remain our main aim.

Without a Damiao aren't we all getting above ourselves in reality?

Perhaps Saturday's game will reassure me.

Spurs were definitely a team then above our present level.

Yes, we are ambitious and we have significantly strengthened our midfield and defence. But are we actually in a different position to this time last year when the consensus was that our aim was to ensure survival?

What is different now? This time last year we had added a major international signing, but we had a Championship strength defence. Now we have a stronger defence. Twelve months ago we had a freescoring attack. Now our strikers are not finding the net so easily. I'm confident that they will find form, however until they do I am afraid that without a Damiao or even a Hooper to freshen our strikeforce survival must remain our main aim.

Without a Damiao aren't we all getting above ourselves in reality?

Perhaps Saturday's game will reassure me.

With the team 16-18 players plus a couple of the kids we should be in and around the comfort zone of 8th-14th most of the season. How far up will depend on number of injuries and suspensions we suffer, so I am very keen to see at absolute minimum a striker who is better than we have (not that RL and JR are poor) because we need another option. I also think that Maya and Dejan are going to be good enough to get us nearer 8th but an injury to one does weaken is significantly, even if Jose and Jos have played key roles to this point they are not going to improve and sustaining levels is harder when not first choice. Therefore I would hope to see another CB of equal or better standard than Dejan/Maya.

Otherwise we have great options in midfield and despite others thoughts on wingers I don't think that is a position MP sees as needed as we will play with very fluent and mobile attacking midfielders...Ramirez, Lallana, Punch, JWP, Guly, Isgrove.

With the team 16-18 players plus a couple of the kids we should be in and around the comfort zone of 8th-14th most of the season. How far up will depend on number of injuries and suspensions we suffer, so I am very keen to see at absolute minimum a striker who is better than we have (not that RL and JR are poor) because we need another option. I also think that Maya and Dejan are going to be good enough to get us nearer 8th but an injury to one does weaken is significantly, even if Jose and Jos have played key roles to this point they are not going to improve and sustaining levels is harder when not first choice. Therefore I would hope to see another CB of equal or better standard than Dejan/Maya.

Otherwise we have great options in midfield and despite others thoughts on wingers I don't think that is a position MP sees as needed as we will play with very fluent and mobile attacking midfielders...Ramirez, Lallana, Punch, JWP, Guly, Isgrove.

Yes, I agree. We are strong in midfield capable of plenty of options.

Not wishing to make comparisons with our former manager, but one thing that NA was becoming quite good at was varying tactics (in his case towards improving the defence). I'm hoping that Poch will have alternative strategies as sometimes other teams were able to counter our forward style of play too successfully. Kelvin referred to being happy with the style of play we were intending to adopt. I'm hoping there will be some flexibility with tactics this season. Adapting play with a new striker could help towards achieving this.

I think there's a reason why no one has actually signed him yet, even clubs with lots of history and money (Napoli, Spurs). For e.g., It's been Spurs transfer saga for 3 seasons now. It's only been this summer where they haven't really been involved.

I think it's a seriously complex deal due to third partys, %'s to everyone on his contact list. It's not like we're the only club who failed to get this one over the line.

I think there's a reason why no one has actually signed him yet, even clubs with lots of history and money (Napoli, Spurs). For e.g., It's been Spurs transfer saga for 3 seasons now. It's only been this summer where they haven't really been involved.

I think it's a seriously complex deal due to third partys, %'s to everyone on his contact list. It's not like we're the only club who failed to get this one over the line.

Indeed. I think I said the other day that if Napoli couldn't get the deal over the line, no-one can!

Can someone tell me why we thought we could ever sign this guy when Spurs have failed to do so for the last few seasons? Was it the extra tv money at our disposal that meant we might actually be able to match the selling clubs asking price? Why have Spurs not used that extra money themselves to buy him?

Out of interest, do Brazilian strikers have a history of bagging lots of goals when they come to Europe? For some reason I can't get Mirandiha out of my head, but I ma sure there are some good examples where they have thrived.

Can someone tell me why we thought we could ever sign this guy when Spurs have failed to do so for the last few seasons? Was it the extra tv money at our disposal that meant we might actually be able to match the selling clubs asking price? Why have Spurs not used that extra money themselves to buy him?

Out of interest, do Brazilian strikers have a history of bagging lots of goals when they come to Europe? For some reason I can't get Mirandiha out of my head, but I ma sure there are some good examples where they have thrived.

I think we're after a top striker and had a decent budget. Damaio and Osvaldo are probably only 2 of the players we've been looking at. Obviously, being higher profile, they were able to leak out.

Sod it I was looking forward to this one. Think it's a bit short sighted and arrogant by Damiao and his agent to write us off in the way they have. We clearly value him more than anyone else currently does and he just slammed the door in our face.

You need to get real mate, top signings for us? Why, before you answer think why would they come to us over a team with money, history and good European players?

Then you have teams who are actually playing in Europe, we will have to sign 5/6 real quality European signings for well over the odds to continuously attract players, Cortese wont do it so we are not going further than mid table, attach this and keep it.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

Spurs were watching him, but I read somewhere that they weren't all that impressed with his development.

Spurs were watching him, but I read somewhere that they weren't all that impressed with his development.

if that is accurate it's not the most glowing of endorsements. I'd be worried about the time it might take for a Brazilian striker to settle. I don't watch Brazilian football, but I imagine it's a very different style.

You need to get real mate, top signings for us? Why, before you answer think why would they come to us over a team with money, history and good European players?

Then you have teams who are actually playing in Europe, we will have to sign 5/6 real quality European signings for well over the odds to continuously attract players, Cortese wont do it so we are not going further than mid table, attach this and keep it.

Yeah nobody thought it was gonna be a walk in the park pumpkin , but there's a lot to be said for trying. Here's some quotes for you to pin on your wall to make you less grumpy:

(P.S. Stop reading Corteses mind, he hates that **** allegedly.)

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Thomas A. Edison

Don't be afraid to fail. Don't waste energy trying to cover up failure. Learn from your failures and go on to the next challenge. It's OK to fail. If you're not failing, you're not growing.

H. Stanley Judd

Fix your eyes on perfection and you make almost everything speed towards it.

William Ellery Channing

A man doesn't know what he knows until he knows what he doesn't know.

Laurence J. Peter

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Mark Twain

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

Yeah nobody thought it was gonna be a walk in the park pumpkin , but there's a lot to be said for trying. Here's some quotes for you to pin on your wall to make you less grumpy:

(P.S. Stop reading Corteses mind, he hates that **** allegedly.)

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Thomas A. Edison

Don't be afraid to fail. Don't waste energy trying to cover up failure. Learn from your failures and go on to the next challenge. It's OK to fail. If you're not failing, you're not growing.

H. Stanley Judd

Fix your eyes on perfection and you make almost everything speed towards it.

William Ellery Channing

A man doesn't know what he knows until he knows what he doesn't know.

Laurence J. Peter

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Mark Twain

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

Coming up with quotes fom years gone by does not answer the question nor disguise the fact.

**** me is the archive as big as that warehouse in the closing scene of Indiana Jones?

Hahah, but we have had some belters over the time. I am not sure that we have a bigger archive than similar sized clubs, but yep we have had some belters.

Then again, the Keegan signing was probably the greatest surprise in modern football.

Alex Goring Crook ‏@alex_crook just off the phone to Damiaos agent he apologies for calling southampton minnows but we wil still talk to them if no one else comes knocking

So from this we can probably deduce that the agent is really trying to drum up some interest and create a bit of an auction. Fair enough, what he was trying to do was say 'come on Real Madrid/Barca/Bayern/Accrington Stanley, there's interest from some but the door is open if you guys want to make a better offer'. Reasonable enough, the minnows bit was probably just a bit of a lost in translation thing.

So perhaps a little less dead than we thought.

But frankly who knows. I imagine that the agent and the player will wait a while to see what their options are.

Funnily enough, I dont actually have a problem with him or his agents telling it like it is. Its pretty obvious that any player would idealy want to go to a club playing in Cl etc, rather than a smaller, yet upwardly mobile club - even if we do offer an acceptable wage. Rather have some honest from these guys for a change, than bollix about 'always wanted to come here, vision, love Southampton blah blah...'

Ultimately, if we did buy some miracle pull this off, he would be desperate to give it his all - even if only re the WC selection, we benefit from that. All this expectation about loyalty, loving the club etc is for the naive to swallow up. If someone gives tehir best in the saints shirt, matters not what his reasons are for being here or if its a stepping stone to something better. Its the job of teh club as it hopefuly progresses to make our best players realise they can take nexts steps with Saints. Fans who moan about players leaving for 'bigger' more successful clubs forget that ultimately the club have to make themselves more attractive to get them to want to stay.

I would say we have become a more attractive proposition in each of the previous 4 seasons, aligned with our progress - we continue to progress and we will become more attractive - simple.

Funnily enough, I dont actually have a problem with him or his agents telling it like it is. Its pretty obvious that any player would idealy want to go to a club playing in Cl etc, rather than a smaller, yet upwardly mobile club - even if we do offer an acceptable wage. Rather have some honest from these guys for a change, than bollix about 'always wanted to come here, vision, love Southampton blah blah...'

Ultimately, if we did buy some miracle pull this off, he would be desperate to give it his all - even if only re the WC selection, we benefit from that. All this expectation about loyalty, loving the club etc is for the naive to swallow up. If someone gives tehir best in the saints shirt, matters not what his reasons are for being here or if its a stepping stone to something better. Its the job of teh club as it hopefuly progresses to make our best players realise they can take nexts steps with Saints. Fans who moan about players leaving for 'bigger' more successful clubs forget that ultimately the club have to make themselves more attractive to get them to want to stay.

I would say we have become a more attractive proposition in each of the previous 4 seasons, aligned with our progress - we continue to progress and we will become more attractive - simple.

Clappers = Naive

I welcome honesty, who does not? Well the clappers wont as it puts us firmly in our place, a medium size club with large aspirations on medium size money.

That's a good summary. We have to do our best to make ourselves an even better proposition next year. A cup run, a higher placing, some standout results against Man Utd, Chelsea etc ultimately Europa league...on the back of sell out crowds every home match. If we do that the next two years we might not be regarded as a small club of lower ambition for much longer. We have to earn the right to be able to go chatting up the best players in the world. Its not ALL about how big the wages are.

That's a good summary. We have to do our best to make ourselves an even better proposition next year. A cup run, a higher placing, some standout results against Man Utd, Chelsea etc ultimately Europa league...on the back of sell out crowds every home match. If we do that the next two years we might not be regarded as a small club of lower ambition for much longer. We have to earn the right to be able to go chatting up the best players in the world. Its not ALL about how big the wages are.

Yes it is.

Good post mate I agree, nice to hear some truth and would still be happy to have him here even if we're his last option. We've got to get a few in the hard way before we can compete comfortably against others for more of these 20mil signings.