Lidl / Aldi

SO16_Saint

Says more about the 'very classy looking lady' than it does about those who shop in Aldi.

And perhaps a bit about anyone else who chooses to use it.

to be honest Lidl and Aldi have a pretty bad reputation in France. Maybe they aren't of the same quality as those in the UK. Most of what they sell here is pretty tacky and of a substandard quality.

How rich are 2 normal upper grade public servants with both offspring gone from the nest ? I'm sure that you can work it out if you want. "poormarket" isn't one of mine I'm afraid. Heard from it from a very classy looking lady in the Citroen garage car park on her phone. Giving directions "tu sais face à Lidl...oui c'est ça, le supermarché des pauvres"

C'mon. Give us a figure. You were really up for showing everyone how well off you are earlier on. You've eagerly adopted "poormarket" as your own term. Now I'm thinking you've gotta be f**king loaded to be able to make such a statement. Dish it :)

to be honest Lidl and Aldi have a pretty bad reputation in France. Maybe they aren't of the same quality as those in the UK. Most of what they sell here is pretty tacky and of a substandard quality.

To be fair I'm not familiar with French supermarkets so I'm not sure what I'd be comparing to. In this country though, for anyone to try and claim some kind of quality high ground because they shop in any other supermarket over Aldi/Lidl would be hypocritical...

C'mon. Give us a figure. You were really up for showing everyone how well off you are earlier on. You've eagerly adopted "poormarket" as your own term. Now I'm thinking you've gotta be f**king loaded to be able to make such a statement. Dish it :)

OK, we earn about 94K euros net per annum, house paid off and kids gone (although they cost us a bit from time to time). So we don't need to economise a couple of euros on cheese and apples. :rolleyes:

OK, we earn about 94K euros net per annum, house paid off and kids gone (although they cost us a bit from time to time). So we don't need to economise a couple of euros on cheese and apples. :rolleyes:

That's very good going Window Cleaner, and respect to you for sharing. Not many would.

I pull in around 80K euros gross and still shop in Lidl/Aldi from time to time. Then again, I've never been entirely comfortable with my ostensibly middle-class status, so perhaps that figures into it.

Edited by pap

I'm glad pap & windows are so rich! It's a comfort for me, knowing that if times get really hard i can always go bed down in windows mansion + tap pap up for beer monies. Probably, he would also buy me a rubber dinghy + some fresh meats from lidl.

I'm glad pap & windows are so rich! It's a comfort for me, knowing that if times get really hard i can always go bed down in windows mansion + tap pap up for beer monies. Probably, he would also buy me a rubber dinghy + some fresh meats from lidl.

You are more than welcome to attend the big scouse housewarmer, Bearsy :)

will their be rubber dinghy's plus fresh meats from lidl? Also sex dungeon formerly belonging to 80s soap star?

I was a little bit disappointed to discover that there is no sex dungeon in the former soap star's house. However, that's not to say it never happened. There are a lot of wooden beams all over the shop. Someone could have easily been trussed up and suspended on them. I like to imagine they were.

No rubber dinghys, possibly fresh meat from LIDL. Depends whether I can start earning an extra 14K euro mate. The 94K mark is apparently where you can call Lidl and Aldi the poormarket :)

I was a little bit disappointed to discover that there is no sex dungeon in the former soap star's house. However, that's not to say it never happened. There are a lot of wooden beams all over the shop. Someone could have easily been trussed up and suspended on them. I like to imagine they were.

No rubber dinghys, possibly fresh meat from LIDL. Depends whether I can start earning an extra 14K euro mate. The 94K mark is apparently where you can call Lidl and Aldi the poormarket :)

But salaries are a lot different in Europe...94K € net is a lot of money here, probably what you get on benefits in the UK. The average salary in France would probably just about keep you alive living in a box on the high st in the Uk. Trouble is our salaries are punctuated at source by some woefully high 'social charges' and there's no upper ceiling, more you get, more you contribute .

Your salary is docked 18 or so per cent before you even get it here and that's nothing to do with Income Tax which is something you pay later. However "hard discount" shops really are something to be avoided unless you have no other choice.

But salaries are a lot different in Europe...94K € net is a lot of money here, probably what you get on benefits in the UK. The average salary in France would probably just about keep you alive living in a box on the high st in the Uk. Trouble is our salaries are punctuated at source by some woefully high 'social charges' and there's no upper ceiling, more you get, more you contribute .

Your salary is docked 18 or so per cent before you even get it here and that's nothing to do with Income Tax which is something you pay later. However "hard discount" shops really are something to be avoided unless you have no other choice.

94K net is a lot of money in most places.

btw, benefits are capped at around 30K Euro.

What kind of science do you do windows? Is it that time machine they are building in France that Dan Brown was going on about?

I am not acquainted with the works of Dan Brown apart from the Da Vinci code. I'm in the sort of star gazing line, wife's a botanist.

There you go you know everything about us.

I am not acquainted with the works of Dan Brown apart from the Da Vinci code. I'm in the sort of star gazing line, wife's a botanist.

There you go you know everything about us.

Predicting the future in some way then? Contingency planning? Financial planning?

nothing, although the nearest is about 40 miles away. Local(ish) company as well but we shop at Auchan and Carrefour (cos I've got a few shares)

Surely Carrefour is a French poormarket.

It wasn't exactly Fortnum and Mason when it was in Chandlers Ford, anyway.

Surely Carrefour is a French poormarket.

It wasn't exactly Fortnum and Mason when it was in Chandlers Ford, anyway.

As I said shops are far different in the 2 countries. Carrefour is about mid-range, they even had their own hard-discount chain Dia but they sold it off because it brought some kind of ill repute to the Carrefour products they were selling. Once again I think the notion of hard discount in the UK might be somewhat softened to that of France. For us hard discount is products of not particularly laudable quality being sold direct from their cardboard packaging on the shelves. This type of shop attracts a certain type of client and a sort of New York syndrome ensues. All of our supermarkets sell their own branded goods and their prices are competitive, if you need to go looking for Lidl and Dia quality and limited choice so be it.

You are what you eat and if you east **** then you will love places like this.

The best way to save money is to shop little and often and don;t buy in bulk which you end up throwing a fair amount of it away every time. If we all were a little less wasteful then you would find you have a few more quid in your pocket too.

I would also add find a good butcher, green grocer or market where prices are probably not as bad as you expect and the quality is a million times better. If you can also go to the effort of growing your own veg then there is even more cash to be saved.

Who freakin cares? I've bought food everywhere from Fortnum's to Poundland and everywhere in between, including refusing to pay 10 euros for a single mango in a pretentious fruit and veg shop in Puiseaux in France. I thought the whole point was to get value for money, not impress the neighbours with the loftiness of your baked bean labels.

Who freakin cares? I've bought food everywhere from Fortnum's to Poundland and everywhere in between, including refusing to pay 10 euros for a single mango in a pretentious fruit and veg shop in Puiseaux in France. I thought the whole point was to get value for money, not impress the neighbours with the loftiness of your baked bean labels.

Precisely. Waitrose sell a lot of good products. They also sell a lot of **** ones. The same can be said of Sainsburys, Tesco, Morrisons, M&S, Booths, Borough Market, and from my limited experience of Aldi, there too.

Surely the point is the quality of the product, rather than where you buy it from, and as no single retailer sells exclusively good or exclusively **** products, there is mixed value to be had in a variety. Only an absolute cretin who thinks that the supermarket you shop at is some sort of status symbol (ie some of the people on this thread) doesn't get that.

The spaghetti hoops in Asda are the best own label ones. This is my contribution.

and most of their chilled ready meals are dog, but their frozen ones are surprisingly good and amazingly cheap. The cooked breakfast (£1) and the Roast pork dinners (£1.50) actually saved one Sunday when I was spectacularly unprepared.

Waitrose.. [sNIP] and the wine selection is extremely limited and offers very little value.

I'd strongly disagree there, at least compared to all the other supermarkets, they have a lot more interesting wines than "half-price" stuff in the mainstream supermarkets. I also shop in Majestic, but the run-of-the-mill supermarkets are only for when you run out - which rarely happens...

I'd strongly disagree there, at least compared to all the other supermarkets, they have a lot more interesting wines than "half-price" stuff in the mainstream supermarkets. I also shop in Majestic, but the run-of-the-mill supermarkets are only for when you run out - which rarely happens...

The Co-op is pretty good for wine too, I've found - unless it varies from store to store.

Everything varies from store to store, based on the local demographics (or rather, their interpretation of local demographics)... annoys the crap out of me when I want something specific but know it's only likely to be in certain stores in certain areas.

Surprising how many people use high profit making supermarkets rather than local sole traders (farm shops, butchers, bakers, grocers, etc).

Exactly. Fruit and veg have one of the highest markups in supermarkets.

There's a guy who's had a stall in Shirley for years (in front of the old Crown pub) and he's so much cheaper than Sainsburys.

Surprising how many people use high profit making supermarkets rather than local sole traders (farm shops, butchers, bakers, grocers, etc).

There are many reasons - most people cite 'convenience', but a well planned shop along a good High Street can take the same amount of time, and is far more enjoyable IMO, getting to know the people who know their products and add value to your shop, and also to the social fabric of our towns and villages. It also depends on the choice of local independent traders, which can vary greatly, for a host of reasons, but usually because of larger stores (and the customers who use them) putting them out of business.

We have a lot of hypocrites in this country, people who say they want to support independent shops, but then just jump in the car to a supermarket. The same people are probably decrying the lack of jobs in the UK, whilst handily ignoring the fact that independent businesses create more jobs per £1 spent than the larger multiples. Basically, many people look after their own selfish needs first. Their perceived convenience and saving 2p on a few items will always be more important to them than the wider retail picture and the impact on the country, because they don't see the effects first hand and aren't able to see the links. Marketing plays a large part, but the big boys can afford to splash out a bit in the short term, to kill off smaller competition. And we haven't even got to quality yet... if people really cared about quality of the food they eat, they would spend more time looking at what they're actually feeding themselves and recognise that they don't have to spend more to eat well, it just needs a bit of planning and interest in what you're buying.

But cost is king nowadays, and to the detriment of all else it seems - so many people claim that food is 'too expensive' to buy 'decent stuff' but then they waste half of what they buy, throwing out tonnes of uneaten food every year, and fill themselves with such low quality crap that only makes them want to eat more thanks to the mass of sugar/salt/MSG contained in processed food. And the marketing that the supermarkets use skews the situation too... independents are often deemed to be more expensive, which is not always the case... but where it is, it's usually for good reason. We eat 3 times a day or more. There is nothing else in life that affects our health and well being more than what we eat, yet it's one of the areas where so many people seem to want to spend as little as possible on all sorts of crap, whilst they don't bat an eye lid spending on football, beer, nights out, clothes and whatever else. That is entirely their choice, it is a free world after all, but if you want to treat your health and nutrition as a lower priority than your entertainment and how you look, then don't expect any sympathy from me when you complain about being ill or when you expect the NHS to sort out your Diabetes or obesity.

Rant over! You may have noticed this is a sore subject with me!! :)

There are many reasons - most people cite 'convenience', but a well planned shop along a good High Street can take the same amount of time, and is far more enjoyable IMO, getting to know the people who know their products and add value to your shop, and also to the social fabric of our towns and villages. It also depends on the choice of local independent traders, which can vary greatly, for a host of reasons, but usually because of larger stores (and the customers who use them) putting them out of business.

We have a lot of hypocrites in this country, people who say they want to support independent shops, but then just jump in the car to a supermarket. The same people are probably decrying the lack of jobs in the UK, whilst handily ignoring the fact that independent businesses create more jobs per £1 spent than the larger multiples. Basically, many people look after their own selfish needs first. Their perceived convenience and saving 2p on a few items will always be more important to them than the wider retail picture and the impact on the country, because they don't see the effects first hand and aren't able to see the links. Marketing plays a large part, but the big boys can afford to splash out a bit in the short term, to kill off smaller competition. And we haven't even got to quality yet... if people really cared about quality of the food they eat, they would spend more time looking at what they're actually feeding themselves and recognise that they don't have to spend more to eat well, it just needs a bit of planning and interest in what you're buying.

But cost is king nowadays, and to the detriment of all else it seems - so many people claim that food is 'too expensive' to buy 'decent stuff' but then they waste half of what they buy, throwing out tonnes of uneaten food every year, and fill themselves with such low quality crap that only makes them want to eat more thanks to the mass of sugar/salt/MSG contained in processed food. And the marketing that the supermarkets use skews the situation too... independents are often deemed to be more expensive, which is not always the case... but where it is, it's usually for good reason. We eat 3 times a day or more. There is nothing else in life that affects our health and well being more than what we eat, yet it's one of the areas where so many people seem to want to spend as little as possible on all sorts of crap, whilst they don't bat an eye lid spending on football, beer, nights out, clothes and whatever else. That is entirely their choice, it is a free world after all, but if you want to treat your health and nutrition as a lower priority than your entertainment and how you look, then don't expect any sympathy from me when you complain about being ill or when you expect the NHS to sort out your Diabetes or obesity.

clap-animated-animation-clap-000340-large.gif

I'm sure someone could do a similar analysis of other retail sectors too Wurzel... maybe clothes shops... ;)

Don't get me started on consumers brainwashed by some - by no means all - vastly overpriced "designer labels". ;) If only I had more time...

But cost is king nowadays, and to the detriment of all else it seems - so many people claim that food is 'too expensive' to buy 'decent stuff' but then they waste half of what they buy, throwing out tonnes of uneaten food every year, and fill themselves with such low quality crap that only makes them want to eat more thanks to the mass of sugar/salt/MSG contained in processed food.

Good point. The old excuse that's often trotted out that "it's expensive to eat healthy food" is utter rubbish.

Learn a bit of basic cookery, shop locally for fruit and veg, grow some herbs on your window sill and you'd be surprised how economically you can create good food. And you know exactly what goes into it.

Top post sir :)

I'd go to supermarket even if they was twice more expensive! I'd hate to have to walk round town doing all them separate transactions buying my apples from greengrocer and spams from meatgrocer and microwave meals from microgrocer and chocolate bar from sweetgrocer! I mean, I don't mind doing shopping but i don't want to be spending whole day. I'm a very business bear!

Minty is right bout wastage tho, I definitely throw away more milk + asparaguses than i actually end up eating.

good post, but it is flawed on the very first line. Which High Street in any major town/city in England can you find a Butcher, Baker, Fishmonger, Fruit and Veg shop - if you want to find a H&M, HMV, Top Man, Superdrug etc - then yes - but to do a 'shop' along the highstreet nowadays is simply not possible. If you wanted to do that, you'd have to make multiple trips taking a lot longer time than going to Asda. In Southampton for example; butchers - Hill Lane / Burgess Road way, then to Fishmongers - not actually sure, then to bakers - greggs?? in Shirley, then to Fruit and Veg - place by the royal mail in Shirley. all in all that'd take a good hour and you then have to get the other basics.... at the supermarket.