Who is to blame for the Summer of inactivity?

Unbelievable Jeff

We have signed two players in positions we needed, Chambers has stepped up to the plate and arguably I reckon Isgrove looks a good wide bet.

Shaw signed on

We are still aiming for a striker, there are 27 days of the TW left. Time to panic ? Not yet

But we do need a striker yes

Chambers and Isgrove are gambles, will they secure us a European place?

Negligent certainly is. With the utmost respect I suggest a short spell consulting a dictionary before further posts.

Really? Why is negligent not correct? Due to poor researching and over-estimating our pulling power we have missed out on decent players this Summer? As directors of a company if we now do not sign a decent striker due to these reasons surely that is negligence?

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff
To avoid confusion.

Negligent certainly is. With the utmost respect I suggest a short spell consulting a dictionary before further posts.

I also love it when people write 'with the utmost respect', and then write something disrespectful. Really classy way of putting an argument together. It's like people saying 'No offence, but you're a massive nob'. I think that is called an oxymoron is it not Village Saint?

I find it surprising that fans are criticizing the Club over transfers when there is sufficient evidence to suggest that the club has been and probably still is active in the market.

Regrettably you can't make a player who doesn't want to, come; and I can't imagine anybody suggesting the club should pay way over the odds.

None of us have ever operated in this market, so is criticism valid at this stage?

I think not.

We needed Lovren, but not sure I agree we needed another CM with JWP and Steven Davis able to play as back up. It's not really about panicking, I just think we needed him in before pre-season. This seems to be overlooked so often when purchasing players.

Sorry but you complain about not making signings and that the ambition are to high but you would prefer Davis and JWP to play key roles for the team......You say backup but do you really see 2 top CM´s playing 38 games (+eventual cup games) on highest level and never having any injuries?

Describe your thoughts on that for me, please...

Really? Why is negligent not correct? Due to poor researching and over-estimating our pulling power we have missed out on decent targets this Summer? As directors of a company if we now do not sign a decent striker due to these reasons surely that is negligence?

According to who, do YOU know who our targets were going into this summer??

I find it surprising that fans are criticizing the Club over transfers when there is sufficient evidence to suggest that the club has been and probably still is active in the market.

Regrettably you can't make a player who doesn't want to, come; and I can't imagine anybody suggesting the club should pay way over the odds.

None of us have ever operated in this market, so is criticism valid at this stage?

I think not.

Is it valid?

On history of last years shambles yes indeed, its also noted others have got their players in early to adjust, we have got some but its painfully obvious we need to get at least one striker, its right to question of course it is.

We needed Lovren, but not sure I agree we needed another CM with JWP and Steven Davis able to play as back up. It's not really about panicking, I just think we needed him in before pre-season. This seems to be overlooked so often when purchasing players.

I think everyone would love to get players in early, it makes life easier, removes anxiety and as a coach gives you time to integrate them to the team.

It is hard in reality though, we have gone for players that are probably above our level and those deals take a while to get over the line but Id rather attempt them than make do with an option that will only serve short term. We will get a striker in, thats the sounds coming out of St Marys anyway and its hard to disregard that confidence. Dont rule out another forward midfielder either.

Isgrove and Chambers, Im confident in the coaches there when they say they have what it takes, they are certainly good enough back ups.

Wanyama gives us a different option and gives us rotation, its agood signing IMO

But I sort of agree with Dune, without a new boy upfront European ambitions will be difficult

I also love it when people write 'with the utmost respect', and then write something disrespectful.

We all know that that and "In my humble opinion", mean the opposite of what is said.

"I think that you may be unintentionally disseminating" is also a way of saying :You're a lying ****", in polite company.

Is it valid?

On history of last years shambles yes indeed, its also noted others have got their players in early to adjust, we have got some but its painfully obvious we need to get at least one striker, its right to question of course it is.

We are many that has asked many times and never got an answer....

How was last year transfer window a shambles when a squad was put together that got us to 14th place when 95% of the fans would have bitten anybodys hand off if offered 17th before that season started....and while getting much recognition for the way the team played by not only other teams fans but also quite a few experts/pundits?

I also love it when people write 'with the utmost respect', and then write something disrespectful.

We all know that that and "In my humble opinion", mean the opposite of what is said.

"I think that you may be unintentionally disseminating" is also a way of saying :You're a lying ****", in polite company.

Sorry senior moment-I meant "being unintentionally mendacious"-not disseminate --senior moment!

I think everyone would love to get players in early, it makes life easier, removes anxiety and as a coach gives you time to integrate them to the team.

It is hard in reality though, we have gone for players that are probably above our level and those deals take a while to get over the line but Id rather attempt them than make do with an option that will only serve short term. We will get a striker in, thats the sounds coming out of St Marys anyway and its hard to disregard that confidence. Dont rule out another forward midfielder either.

Isgrove and Chambers, Im confident in the coaches there when they say they have what it takes, they are certainly good enough back ups.

Wanyama gives us a different option and gives us rotation, its agood signing IMO

But I sort of agree with Dune, without a new boy upfront European ambitions will be difficult

Jeff,

Clive calls me Dune as he believes I am a fellow who got banned and came back as me, he is not only delusioned in this aspect he is also delusional about our team, he believes we are the bestest bestest team in the whole wide World with the bestest players and everyone wants to come to the bestest team in the World.

He also likes persian cats, tonka toys and farmhouse animals.

We are many that has asked many times and never got an answer....

How was last year transfer window a shambles when a squad was put together that got us to 14th place when 95% of the fans would have bitten anybodys hand off if offered 17th before that season started....and while getting much recognition for the way the team played by not only other teams fans but also quite a few experts/pundits?

Mayuka, Forren, Ramirez and Lee, players of assured Premiership quality.

Jeff,

Clive calls me Dune as he believes I am a fellow who got banned and came back as me, he is not only delusioned in this aspect he is also delusional about our team, he believes we are the bestest bestest team in the whole wide World with the bestest players and everyone wants to come to the bestest team in the World.

Was this aimed at me ? More than slightly odd considering that has never been anywhere near an assessment of our team.

As per Dune, Id argue Im spot on, not that you need to admit anything Dean

Mayuka, Forren, Ramirez and Lee, players of assured Premiership quality.

Lee last summer??

Ok if you say so....

We all know you dont rate Ramirez, cause you prefer Terry Hurlock type of players.....

You dont think you can find two/three unsuccessful signings in ANY other team in PL then?

And you still (as usual) didn´t really answer the question.....how is it shambles when the target for that season is reached and even more than so....??

Sorry but you complain about not making signings and that the ambition are to high but you would prefer Davis and JWP to play key roles for the team......You say backup but do you really see 2 top CM´s playing 38 games (+eventual cup games) on highest level and never having any injuries?

Describe your thoughts on that for me, please...

Schneiderlin and Cork played a combined 65 games for Saints last season, so we needed cover for one player on 11 occasions last season. I think those players mentioned can fill in those games sufficently. I assume you don't? Having Davis and JWP play those games is not a 'key role'. A 'key role' is a starting spot, surely? What you are describing is a replacements role, that although important is not key.

Really? Why is negligent not correct? Due to poor researching and over-estimating our pulling power we have missed out on decent targets this Summer? As directors of a company if we now do not sign a decent striker due to these reasons surely that is negligence?

Well, if you can't see why many will consider negligent to be incorrect, it is going to be difficult to pursuade you otherwise, as you have already made up your mind. The fact that you do not know any more than any of us about the internal dealings at the club, or the reasons why we have so far not managed to sign a striker, ought to make your opinions more circumspect if you wished to be seen as balanced in your views.

I presume that if we do manage to sign a striker of significant reputation, then you will be forced to admit that we were not over-estimating our pulling power. But as yet, some of those targets have not signed elsewhere, so the case is not proven either way.

But what I find really amusing is the contention from some on here that Swansea, Norwich, Sunderland and other clubs of no particular merit that would place them higher than us for pulling power, have pulled off master stroke signings that we ought to envy. But because we seek to sign players of a higher calibre than those, we are obviously being negligent somehow. This must be one of the rarest cases of negligence where a company attempts to massively improve its product and there are no issues with the finances needed to bring it about, but that the label is applied because the company was seen to be too ambitious.

I don't disagree that Wanyama is a good player, and he will be excellent, I just felt up front was a more pertinent issue.

Please note: this is how to debate a thread properly. Big respect to Smirking Saint for playing nicely.

Lee last summer??

Ok if you say so....

We all know you dont rate Ramirez, cause you prefer Terry Hurlock type of players.....

You dont think you can find two/three unsuccessful signings in ANY other team in PL then?

And you still (as usual) didn´t really answer the question.....how is it shambles when the target for that season is reached and even more than so....??

I dont rate Ramirez for his input and the money spent on him, I dont think I'm alon on that either, I dont prefer Terry Hurlock types of players at all, I have always said he was a better footballer than given credit for thats all.

I used Lee as an example but here are our 12/13 signings

Jay Rodriguez £6,500,000

Steve Davis Free

Nathaniel Clyne £2,500,000

Paulo Gazzaniga £2,500,000

Emmanuel Mayuka £3,000,000

Gaston Ramirez £12,000,000

Vegard Forren £4,200.000

Maya Yoshida £2,000,000

Jeff,

To be fair though, he's debating it properly. Everyone is entitled to their opinion (I assume) and if that's his opinion fair enough, who am I to say it is wrong?

Negligent is bringing in nobody due to aiming too high.

Excellent point, assuming the window has closed already. If the window closes without us bringing in another forward I will be fully behind you on this.

I think I have come across in the wrong way here/under-estimated how much you can't have an opinion that strays from the norm. All I wanted to do was spark debate, not draw hundreds of insults.

The forum has a healthy range of opinions. The argument you are presenting just happens to coincide with one that is commonly presented by the resident trolls. For example, your argument:

• seems to be more deconstructive than constructive;
  • seems to be overlooking a number of key facts (like the spending to date, and the lack of having lost anyone we want to retain);
  • seems to overestimate the signings made by rival clubs (c.f. Norwich);
  • seems to compare us to Liverpool and City who are currently far more attractive to most potential signings;
  • seems to be ignoring the difficulties that we will have in punching above our weight, and the obvious delay this will cause as we need to play a waiting game;
  • seems to assume that we aren't actively working behind the scenes;
  • seems to suggest that if we can't land a top player, that we won't have backup options being assessed;
  • and, intentionally, or not, seems to be an indirect attack on the club and it's leadership.

You then aren't helping your case, by using rather extreme words like 'inactivity' (when we've been active), and 'negligent' (when we have been anything but).

Surely you can see why people might be reacting in the way they are?

Well, if you can't see why many will consider negligent to be incorrect, it is going to be difficult to pursuade you otherwise, as you have already made up your mind. The fact that you do not know any more than any of us about the internal dealings at the club, or the reasons why we have so far not managed to sign a striker, ought to make your opinions more circumspect if you wished to be seen as balanced in your views.

I presume that if we do manage to sign a striker of significant reputation, then you will be forced to admit that we were not over-estimating our pulling power. But as yet, some of those targets have not signed elsewhere, so the case is not proven either way.

But what I find really amusing is the contention from some on here that Swansea, Norwich, Sunderland and other clubs of no particular merit that would place them higher than us for pulling power, have pulled off master stroke signings that we ought to envy. But because we seek to sign players of a higher calibre than those, we are obviously being negligent somehow. This must be one of the rarest cases of negligence where a company attempts to massively improve its product and there are no issues with the finances needed to bring it about, but that the label is applied because the company was seen to be too ambitious.

Fair points.

Excellent point, assuming the window has closed already. If the window closes without us bringing in another forward I will be fully behind you on this.

The forum has a healthy range of opinions. The argument you are presenting just happens to coincide with one that is commonly presented by the resident trolls. For example, your argument:

• seems to be more deconstructive than constructive;
  • seems to be overlooking a number of key facts (like the spending to date, and the lack of having lost anyone we want to retain);
  • seems to overestimate the signings made by rival clubs (c.f. Norwich);
  • seems to compare us to Liverpool and City who are currently far more attractive to most potential signings;
  • seems to be ignoring the difficulties that we will have in punching above our weight, and the obvious delay this will cause as we need to play a waiting game;
  • seems to assume that we aren't actively working behind the scenes;
  • seems to suggest that if we can't land a top player, that we won't have backup options being assessed;
  • and, intentionally, or not, seems to be an indirect attack on the club and it's leadership.

You then aren't helping your case, by using rather extreme words like 'inactivity' (when we've been active), and 'negligent' (when we have been anything but).

Surely you can see why people might be reacting in the way they are?

'Inactivity' I can see as a mistake - I have admitted that. I don't have the faith that others have that we will bring someone in of sufficient quality and that would be negligent. Yes, I realise that using the word negligent may be extreme, but if you believe the result to be the same in 25 days time, then surely I can use that word now - I just didn't realise people would react like this! Seems a very extreme reaction. Maybe people are bored and it's entertainment for them to react in a hysterical way?

If we sign a striker we will play SRL as a reserve striker is that what people want.

Don't forget our policy of using our Academy

Lambert doesnt fit the primary tactics that MoPo wants to use, this was evident towards the end of the season, when I say this people seem to think I am directly slagging off Rickie, Im not. Just using a coaching POV in the fact that MoPo has set a team up to play a way that doesnt incorperate Rickie well.

He will be a good player as a No 10 or from the bench.

Not seen any academy players ready to step up yet but Seager looks as if he is heading that way

Jeff

I can still see the need to have an additional striker in the squad but I think MP has a number of options he can use, How about Garston alongside Jrod or SRL , even AL, guly etc can play there. For me the important thing is our midfield attacking options , thats where the potent threat and chances will be created from.

PS Is Barry also Stanley by any chance or am I rumbling about in the wrong sand dune ?

I don't have the faith that others have that we will bring someone in of sufficient quality and that would be negligent.

Why the lack of faith? We are obviously in the market; we've been liked with very good forwards, and our manager has confirmed our interest. We wouldn't be chasing them if we didn't feel we had the cash, or if we felt that we had no chance attracting them. Surely the only evidence we have is that the club is doing everything it can to attract a top player?

So what makes you feel otherwise?

Yes, I realise that using the word negligent may be extreme, but if you believe the result to be the same in 25 days time, then surely I can use that word now

I disagree. Right now we don't have any evidence of negligence. In 25 days time we might have some evidence to support your argument.

If we sign, say, Osvaldo (or even a fallback option like Bent) in 25 days time would we still have been negligent?

I just didn't realise people would react like this! Seems a very extreme reaction. Maybe people are bored and it's entertainment for them to react in a hysterical way?

Sure some people are being a bit rude - that's what forums seem to induce. I've been (rightly) slated for things I've posted on here; I can only mark it down as character building.

You fool.

The season starts in less than 2 weeks, and some of the winnable games are in the first few weeks. Its not just about the window closing, we've basically not got in the people we needed quick enough to maximise our points from the relatively easy early run of games.

Spot on, its our forward line that needs boosting and even in the few pre season games against the better sides we can't score for toffee. If our club is serious about European football we need a forward line that can provide us goals but it's also important to get them early so that they can get used to the way we play and get to know the team mates. What we don't want to happen is to dominate the early games without scoring then getting a new striker in on deadline day and for him to take 5-10 games to settle in.

Spot on, its our forward line that needs boosting and even in the few pre season games against the better sides we can't score for toffee. If our club is serious about European football we need a forward line that can provide us goals but it's also important to get them early so that they can get used to the way we play and get to know the team mates. What we don't want to happen is to dominate the early games without scoring then getting a new striker in on deadline day and for him to take 5-10 games to settle in.

Indeed, the sheer complacency being shown to the situation drives me absolutely stark staring mad.

This is NOT last season where we could shrug and excuse the poor start on the teams we were playing.

Cracking thread this, managed to bring out all the well known arseholes plus even a new one, unbelievable jeff :)

Thank goodness we don't live in a baies coloured world full of H&S people, all agreeing with each other as they go about their business in a comatose robotic way.